HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Weber Vs Phaneuf

View Poll Results: Weber Vs Phaneuf
Weber 162 48.94%
Phaneuf 169 51.06%
Voters: 331. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2007, 12:53 PM
  #51
silkyjohnson50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
Um, I voted Weber, but lasted time I checked, CALGARY isn't in the East. And Toronto only played the Flames ONCE too...
Ok what am i missing HERE?

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 12:58 PM
  #52
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler
 
Jeffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Downsview
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,693
vCash: 500
Actually, If you knew me you'd know that though my favourite team is the leafs, out of the 7 teams that I follow, 5 of them are in the west. I follow the west a lot....and I think Weber is great...but Phaneuf is way better (and this comes from someone who only hates the Habs more than the Flames).

__________________
"Never has such an unaccomplished person yapped as much as (Jeffler) does."
Follow me on Twitter
Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 06:04 PM
  #53
qwerty
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
I think Phaneuf is the better defenseman as of right now. He's got more responsibilities than Weber and has to perform on a higher level.

Phaneuf - 25:39 minutes per game. (12th) Also plays 18.05 in even strength minutes. (8th)
Weber - 19:23 minutes per game. (162th) Also plays 15:51 in even strength minutes. (83th)

So, clearly Phaneuf is on the ice much more and is relied upon more as well. I also think Phaneuf is a better puck carrier and powerplay quarterback. Phaneuf also plays more PP and PK time.

So until Weber plays the same amount of time and shoulders the same amount of responsibility, I wouldn't say Weber is better. Phaneuf is already on the same level as a Bouwmeester.

qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 09:42 PM
  #54
Bourdon
Registered User
 
Bourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,573
vCash: 500
Phaneuf - Big shot, big hitter (Although he hits a little high at times)
Weber - Big shot, smart defensive player

I'd take Weber, but it's pretty close.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:13 AM
  #55
pavel13
Registered User
 
pavel13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pavel13
I haven't seen much of Weber, but Phaneuf has done very little to impress me. He has a good shot, and he's physical. But he lacks hockey sense, and he's not really much of a puck-mover. People shouldn't confuse offensive defenseman with puck-moving defenseman. Brett Hull was an offensive player, but was he a great puck-handler or passer?

I've watched a lot of Flames highlights trying to figure out what's so great about Phaneuf, and aside from his physicality and his shot, I see almost nothing. Physicality is overrated anyway. I'd take a defensively solid, unphysical defenseman over a bruiser who makes a lot of mistakes in his own zone.

pavel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 04:05 AM
  #56
PANTHERS OWN YOU*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
Phaneuf, I think you guys are overdoing Weber a lil much.

PANTHERS OWN YOU* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 04:17 AM
  #57
qwerty
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13 View Post
I haven't seen much of Weber, but Phaneuf has done very little to impress me. He has a good shot, and he's physical. But he lacks hockey sense, and he's not really much of a puck-mover. People shouldn't confuse offensive defenseman with puck-moving defenseman. Brett Hull was an offensive player, but was he a great puck-handler or passer?

I've watched a lot of Flames highlights trying to figure out what's so great about Phaneuf, and aside from his physicality and his shot, I see almost nothing. Physicality is overrated anyway. I'd take a defensively solid, unphysical defenseman over a bruiser who makes a lot of mistakes in his own zone.
Take it from someone who has watched nearly every game Phaneuf has played. He IS a puck moving defenseman and an offensive defenseman. He skates very fast, he's got good hands and he's got excellent puck control. He has a lot of responsibilty for a second year defenseman and he's doing great. I think a lot of people forget that he's only in his second year. So, the fact that he plays the 12th highest minutes in the league tells me that he does do everything for the Flames. EV, PP, and PK. He is solid defensively for the most part, he plays against the top lines, so clearly mistakes will be made.

Trust me, no one else on the Flames roster can take the puck up the ice as fast and efficiently as Phaneuf. He even scored a goal on your team that showed the kind of hands that he has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7HIoXsxWNI

How many defensemen can do that? Not a lot. Phaneuf has the speed and hands to rush the puck up the ice well.

Phaneuf is solid defensively for the most part, he plays against the top lines, so clearly mistakes will be made. I think everyone's starting to overrate Weber's defensive play. How much better can he be defensively?
Does anyone watch enough of both teams to tell me that Weber is definitively better than Phaneuf on defense? Because I think if both played on the same team, they'd both be pretty equal.

qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:01 AM
  #58
ShippinItDaily
Registered User
 
ShippinItDaily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,116
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ShippinItDaily
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryz View Post
This poll is incredible. There is nothing to suggest that Weber is better than Phaneuf right now. Maybe equal at best, but not better. Has Phaneuf bashing become a fad?
Why not?

Weber is much more fundamentally sound than Phaneuf and many people, including myself don't like the style of game that Phaneuf plays where he is always taking high risk chances and getting burnt. For my money I will take the more reliable defender who is just as tough and shoots very comparably on the PP.

ShippinItDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 12:36 PM
  #59
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,083
vCash: 50
JayBo > Phaneuf and Weber

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:53 PM
  #60
pavel13
Registered User
 
pavel13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
Take it from someone who has watched nearly every game Phaneuf has played. He IS a puck moving defenseman and an offensive defenseman. He skates very fast, he's got good hands and he's got excellent puck control. He has a lot of responsibilty for a second year defenseman and he's doing great. I think a lot of people forget that he's only in his second year. So, the fact that he plays the 12th highest minutes in the league tells me that he does do everything for the Flames. EV, PP, and PK. He is solid defensively for the most part, he plays against the top lines, so clearly mistakes will be made.

Trust me, no one else on the Flames roster can take the puck up the ice as fast and efficiently as Phaneuf. He even scored a goal on your team that showed the kind of hands that he has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7HIoXsxWNI

How many defensemen can do that? Not a lot. Phaneuf has the speed and hands to rush the puck up the ice well.

Phaneuf is solid defensively for the most part, he plays against the top lines, so clearly mistakes will be made. I think everyone's starting to overrate Weber's defensive play. How much better can he be defensively?
Does anyone watch enough of both teams to tell me that Weber is definitively better than Phaneuf on defense? Because I think if both played on the same team, they'd both be pretty equal.
That goal doesn't make him a good puck mover. Danny Markov skated the puck past a couple Anaheim defenders in the playoffs, but he wasn't able to score.

I don't know how many times I've seen Phaneuf sitting still or skating slowly in his own zone and just lose the puck while receiving a pretty simple pass. And in all the games and highlights I've seen, I only counted a single good pass that Phaneuf has made. Seemingly most (or a lot of them at least) of his assists come from rebounds or very simple passes.

For somebody described as "very fast," I've definitely seen him look very slow/lazy getting back on defense. There were a few times when Calgary was on a line change, and Phaneuf did nothing to get back to prevent the other team from scoring. I understand that he's a second-year defenseman, but when he's top five in Norris voting, I'd expect that people wouldn't have to use that excuse for his mistakes.

pavel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:34 PM
  #61
qwerty
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13 View Post
That goal doesn't make him a good puck mover. Danny Markov skated the puck past a couple Anaheim defenders in the playoffs, but he wasn't able to score.

I don't know how many times I've seen Phaneuf sitting still or skating slowly in his own zone and just lose the puck while receiving a pretty simple pass. And in all the games and highlights I've seen, I only counted a single good pass that Phaneuf has made. Seemingly most (or a lot of them at least) of his assists come from rebounds or very simple passes.

For somebody described as "very fast," I've definitely seen him look very slow/lazy getting back on defense. There were a few times when Calgary was on a line change, and Phaneuf did nothing to get back to prevent the other team from scoring. I understand that he's a second-year defenseman, but when he's top five in Norris voting, I'd expect that people wouldn't have to use that excuse for his mistakes.
Ok, so out of the few games or highlights that you've seen him in, he's looked slow and lazy at times getting back on D. That doesn't mean he's not a good puck mover. He's the primary puck mover of the Flames and moves fast with the puck; that's why he plays nearly 6 minutes of PP time a game. He's not the best passer, but he's only 22 and will improve on those areas.

There's a reason why experts voted Phaneuf in the top 5 voting for the Norris and Weber isn't. He's playing at a higher level with more responsibilities than Weber. So really, it's not a very fair comparison. Phaneuf is playing at the level of Jay Bouwmeester. So those two should be compared, not Weber.

qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 06:15 PM
  #62
xeric716x
Born To Expire
 
xeric716x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jack City
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 10,921
vCash: 500
Phaneuf

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 05:03 PM
  #63
Ronald Pagan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
Weber. I think he has the potential to be a better Adam Foote.
You're right. Weber by a long shot.

Phaneuf can only wish to have Foote potential.

Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 05:07 PM
  #64
ryz
Registered User
 
ryz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
Great to see someone bring this thread back up.

Laughable poll result from last year.

ryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 05:07 PM
  #65
Celestial Black
Registered User
 
Celestial Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,824
vCash: 500
Phaneuf

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 05:09 PM
  #66
Flash Walken
Registered User
 
Flash Walken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,233
vCash: 500
Phaneuf and Tanguay for Weber.

LoL.

What a great thread.

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 05:13 PM
  #67
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,699
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryz View Post
Great to see someone bring this thread back up.

Laughable poll result from last year.
Ahaha, good on you for noticing that. I was all fired up and ready to go but you saved me the time.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 05:28 PM
  #68
Habsfan 32
Registered User
 
Habsfan 32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Way up north...
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Weber for me. I can't wait to see both of them playing together in Vancouver.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 05:35 PM
  #69
ryz
Registered User
 
ryz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32 View Post
Weber for me. I can't wait to see both of them playing together in Vancouver.
You are one of the guys that picked Plekanec over Spezza probably too hey?

Weber better get back on track if he wants to be in Vancouver in 2010. Dion will likely be Canadas #1 Dman.

ryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 06:26 PM
  #70
anguscertified
HFB Partner
 
anguscertified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Pagan View Post
You're right. Weber by a long shot.

Phaneuf can only wish to have Foote potential.
nice snag. Maybe you missed my recent thread on the main board, where I had Phaneuf and Burns right behind Lidstrom for the Norris this season.

Hockey is a funny game. Phaneuf regressed last season from his rookie year and was a mess in his own zone. He has cleaned up big time this season and has been absolutely dominant at both ends of the ice.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 06:34 PM
  #71
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN
 
Novak Djokovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,342
vCash: 966
Phaneuf but Weber isn't as bad as people think he is and he gets no coverage in NSH.

Novak Djokovic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 07:54 PM
  #72
MrMastodonFarm*
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 500
Someone do this poll again.. it would be a wash. Phaneuf continues to develope and Weber hasn't regained form since his knee injury in October.


Last edited by MrMastodonFarm*: 03-27-2008 at 07:07 AM.
MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 02:15 AM
  #73
anguscertified
HFB Partner
 
anguscertified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Someone do this poll again.. it would be a washed. Phaneuf continues to develope and Weber hasn't regained form since his knee injury in October.
Phaneuf's play this season has definitely placed him above Weber/Johnson/Johnson/Bouwmeester etc. He has really thrived under Keenan.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 06:56 PM
  #74
Flash Walken
Registered User
 
Flash Walken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
Phaneuf's play this season has definitely placed him above Weber/Johnson/Johnson/Bouwmeester etc. He has really thrived under Keenan.
His play last season and the season before that did the same.

If there wasn't two guys named Ovechkin and Crosby, Phaneuf would've easily won the Calder in his rookie season.

Phaneuf is so far and clear of these guys, it's funny to even hear them mentioned as his peers.

The only one comparable is Bouwmeester

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 06:59 PM
  #75
Shakeywalton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
vCash: 500
Phaneuf easily.

I'd take Brent Burns over Weber.

Shakeywalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.