HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the Rangers Retire #68 If...

Old
07-14-2007, 01:32 PM
gers*

vCash: 500
Should the Rangers Retire #68 If...

they win the cup while he is still playing. He was partially responsible for the revival, holds several team records, and would have brought the cup back to NY as the captain.

Thoughts?

gers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 01:34 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staal0708 View Post
they win the cup while he is still playing. He was partially responsible for the revival, holds several team records, and would have brought the cup back to NY as the captain.

Thoughts?
I dunno, Graves was a great Ranger and his number is not retired. Jagr I think helped the revival but I think it takes more than that to have his number retired.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
If he wins a Cup this year or next, I would say its a strong possibility.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Marty's Better

There's reason you guys only have 4 (soon to be 5) retired numbers in your 80+ year history. Retired numbers are a big deal.

Greater "Rangers" who don't (and probably shouldn't) have their # retired:

Graves
JD
Ratelle
Espo

I still identify Jagr with the Pens more than anything.

Marty's Better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
I think there would be a legitimate argument over it

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
I'm not one to throw around retired numbers (I disagree with the Islanders retiring Bobby Nystrom's #, the other 5 are deserved though) - and I think if the Rangers win the Cup over the next 2 years, Jagr's number should get retired.

Despite him playing incredibly in his tenure in NY, he sparked the Ranger revival. Yes, a lot of it can be attributed to Henrik Lundqivst, but without Jagr the Rangers do nothing in 05-06, and even last year.

He is a symbol of the Ranger revival and I think it should be considered.

On another note: Gretzky should not have his number retired as a Rangers. And Graves should IMO.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 01:46 PM
The Thomas J.*

I dunno, if he wins a cup or 2 here, & he has more than one 50 goal season, yea maybe.
But I think its going to depend on how many more years he plays here, we are looking @ one or two more years, I dont think that's enough.

I think Graves did alot more than Jagr has done so far & there are split opinons on wether or not his number should be retired, which I think it should be.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 01:49 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
I'm not one to throw around retired numbers (I disagree with the Islanders retiring Bobby Nystrom's #, the other 5 are deserved though) - and I think if the Rangers win the Cup over the next 2 years, Jagr's number should get retired.

Despite him playing incredibly in his tenure in NY, he sparked the Ranger revival. Yes, a lot of it can be attributed to Henrik Lundqivst, but without Jagr the Rangers do nothing in 05-06, and even last year.

He is a symbol of the Ranger revival and I think it should be considered.

On another note: Gretzky should not have his number retired as a Rangers. And Graves should IMO.
Hmmm I must be hungover, I agree with an Isles fan . But seriously, I agree completely. Jags is a HHoF consideration, and helped turn the team around when it was starting to look like dark days for much fo the future. If, and only if, he brings a cup, then the 68 retirement ceremony should be considered. Leetchie and Gravey deserve their numbers before Jags ever did. 99 is leaguewide, I don't know if we should see 99 in the MSG rafters, especially before EDM.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 01:49 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Graves should have his number retired, but unfortunately too many people from that 1994 team have got numbers up there. He broke the goal scoring record for a single season in the same season they won. Jagr, who now owns the record, but if I can add it is because of the number of power plays in the 2005-06 season, should have his number retired if we win it while he is playing. He's had two full seasons of awesome hockey as a Ranger and as captain that should be good enough if he adds a third and we win it...first european captain etc should add to that also

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 01:50 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I'm in the "yes" camp. He helped turn this franchise around and has played some of the most passionate hockey we've seen from a Rangers player in a long time.

If we win a Cup with him as captain, than he gets an emphatic yes from me in this regard.

No Cup, no retiring of his #, though.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 01:53 PM
blue2noise

Until Graves and Leetch go up no one else should

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 01:58 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Until Graves and Leetch go up no one else should
Leetch will go up this year.

Graves will likely never have his jersey retired.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 02:00 PM
HoosierDaddy

No. He get's his number retired in Pit(tankers) next to Mario.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Merlin401

No way, I dont want to see Jagr's number retired. I would much prefer to see Grave's retired (though that is probably a stretch).

Merlin401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 02:07 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
Graves should have his number retired, but unfortunately too many people from that 1994 team have got numbers up there. He broke the goal scoring record for a single season in the same season they won. Jagr, who now owns the record, but if I can add it is because of the number of power plays in the 2005-06 season, should have his number retired if we win it while he is playing. He's had two full seasons of awesome hockey as a Ranger and as captain that should be good enough if he adds a third and we win it...first european captain etc should add to that also
The 94 team should & deserve to get there props, they did somthing that did not happen & hasn't happened since, Graves, Leetch, Messier & Richter where the heart & souls of that team, they made the engine run. Each one of those guy bought there own special Dynamic to the team.
they should all have there #s retired.
Jagr needs to do a hell of alot more over a longer period of time. he has only played here two seasons, & yes he has gone above & beyond, he needs to play here for @ last 3 more years and win @ least one cup & have 2 more 50+ goal years before it can be considered.
Remember its the entire body of work, We want a cup, nit well he scored 50 goals a few times & got close to a cup.
Ask yoursefs this, if The Rangers don't win the cup in 94 do any of those numbers get retired? I think not.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 02:18 PM
rickyrod

Even if we don't put it up to the rafters, I think we should retire the number. Similar to #99 being retired. It's just one of those numbers, even if it wasn't retired no one would wear #99 today. #68 and #66 should be the same.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 02:19 PM
boredmale

If the Rangers win the cup i would retire it, else i wouldn't unless he has like 3-4 more all star worhy seasons there.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 02:26 PM
ThisYearsModel

Cup-yes. Otherwise........no.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Choice

If he brings the cup a the captain, then I would say yes.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i would say yes if he brings 2 cups to ny. 1...maybe, but he hasnt been on the team long enough to be considered one of the all time great Rangers. he certainly is one of the alltime great players, but alltime great rangers. i dunno, hes only been here what....2 1/3 seasons?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I think if he plays a minimum of 5 seasons here AND the Rangers win the Cup then yeah i would retired 68...

If Messier never came back his number would've been retired after 6 seasons and a Cup....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 03:18 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
I disagree with that. Though its true the number of Power Plays did help his case to score goals/points that year, if it was so easy why wasnt everyone putting up those numbers? Straka and Nylander were playing with the same opportunities as was the rest of the league, why wasnt everyone else doing as great as Jagr (with the exception of Cheechoo and Thornton). The guy was and is on a whole different level, he has done a lot since he came here back in the winter of 2004. He's dynamo player and he will lead this group to a cup. I say yes to retiring his number if he gets the cup here......plus who else wears the number 68 anyways besides that guy Jurcina who was on boston and then washington and now idk

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I disagree with that. Though its true the number of Power Plays did help his case to score goals/points that year, if it was so easy why wasnt everyone putting up those numbers? Straka and Nylander were playing with same opportunities as was the rest of the league, why wasnt everyone else doing as great as Jagr (with the exception of Cheechoo and Thornton). The guy was and is on whole different level, he has done a lot since he came here back in winter of 2004. He's dynamo player and he will lead this group to a cup. I say yes to retiring his number if he gets the cup here......plus who else wears the number 68 anyways besides that guy Jurcina who was on boston and then washington and now idk
The #68 for both Czech and Slovak players (and people for that matter) is significant..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_Spring

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 03:22 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
The #68 for both Czech and Slovak players (and people for that matter) is significant..
Why so? I did not know that

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 03:23 PM
TrueBlue9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Leetch will go up this year.

Graves will likely never have his jersey retired.
The problem with Gravey is that he did all his damage when it was Messier's and Leetch's team. He was an extremely important piece, but not "the piece"

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote