HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Penguins coming to Winnipeg?

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2004, 03:00 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
An NHL team will not be going there at all....I really don't know why people are even optimistic that it could happen.
You know this for a fact?
If salaries come down, WPG has a shot and the support.
I really don't know why you seem to think it's impossible.

Old
01-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Oilers Hockey

vCash: 500
No one can use the "True North Centre only holds 15,500 people" either. That number has been approved by the NHL and it will be a top-notch facility with amenities Winnipeg Arena lacked like luxury suites for example.

I won't hold my breath, but Winnipeg is definetely the most deserving.

I would love to see the White Out again, Winnipeg fans were legendary.

Old
01-01-2004, 04:32 PM
BigMac1212
Let Go Co-Yotes

How about a White Out vs. White Out playoff scenario?

Old
01-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

The 15,000 seat thing is an issue. I don't care if the NHL approves it, it's going to be mighty hard to compete if you sell out every home game and still finish in the bottom half of the league in attendance.

Old
01-01-2004, 06:23 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

If Winnipeg can double the size of its population they could have a shot in 10-20 years. Right now the town is just too small to support an NHL franchise, and the 15,500 arena effectively rules out any shot of a team being financially viable.

Old
01-01-2004, 07:25 PM
DJ Spinoza

Say the Penguins are going to move, for 100% sure. Also say that wherever they move, they get guaranteed sellouts for every game.

It's still US dollars in Las Vegas or Portland, or Canadian dollars in Winnepeg. (Please note: I am in no way starting any US/Canada thing here)

Logically, this team if it moves will go to either Portland or Las Vegas, or Houston or another US city.

Old
01-02-2004, 03:34 AM
Artyukhin*

dont worry about only 15500 seat ...i hear that there proposing to play all 41 home games out doors ...canada first outdoor areana "the igloo" in winnepeg..how about it?...lol...j/k folks...but with the canadian dollar rising every day currently round 79 cents the economics along with the cba is makin hockey in canada attractive once more...remember the canadian dollars was like 64 cent a yr ago and with all the war stuff gion on and the us dollar really goinj down ,it might be weird but we might be seeing players sign in canadian dollars instead of us dollars in a few years..lol..

Old
01-02-2004, 05:43 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
You know this for a fact?
If salaries come down, WPG has a shot and the support.
I really don't know why you seem to think it's impossible.
I heard the interview with the people in Winnipeg that built the arena. It can only seat approximately 15 000 for hockey, and the luxury box revenue isn't enough.(And in an interview on Fan590 I heard that it is not designed to be expanded. I mean if the 'Peg was interested in getting an NHL franchise back, why wasn't an NHL type arena constructed?)

The population of Southern Manitoba couldn't fill the arena at the premium NHL price tickets over the long term.

Even with the salary cap of $31 Million, Winnipeg would be hard pressed to meet the economic viability of maintaining an NHL franchise.

If people in the 'Peg (Which I love...who doesn't love the 'Peg?) use the Minneapolis and Colorado and Atlanta examples of teams coming back, they have to realize the ability to generate revenue in those cities is far superior to Winnipeg.

TMR incorporates the average cost of a ticket in its "Fan Cost Index," (FCI) a survey that adds up the price of a typical family of four attending a game. The costs include tickets, concessions, parking, caps and a game program. The average NHL FCI for 2002-03 is $240.43, up a half-percent from last season. That is in USD.

Now the NHL's new CBA might bring it down a bit, but I don't see it coming down to an affordable family level that Winnipeg would need. They don't have huge amount of corporations, they don't have a huge TV market, they don't have a high population to derive merchandise sales from.

Edmonton is a small market with a population base of around 1.1 to 1.2 million people in very close proximity. There are fans that drive up from Red Deer, some from as far away as Lloydminster.

Edmonton has oil money and good corporate support. They have a consortium of over 30 owners propping up the team. Edmonton has great fan support. They are barely making it. Even at that it is almost impossible to field a competitive team with the financial constraint that the Oilers have. Can you imagine what kind of shape the Winnipeg franchise would be in?

Old
01-02-2004, 05:56 AM
dragonwyck

vCash:
All I really have to say to this is that if the Penguins do move, I hope the NHL does what the NFL did with Cleveland and makes the Penguins name and franchise history stay with the city until they can get their crap worked out.

I also hope the league would force the Coyotes to give Winnipeg back it's team name.

Old
01-02-2004, 05:20 PM
dats-13

Portland Penguins....catchy

and to the guy above did you mean to spell Portland....Potland because if you did thats pretty funny...and if you didn't you made a big mistake

Old
01-02-2004, 09:22 PM
leafaholix*

Contract the organization and have a despersal draft.

Old
01-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Contract the organization and have a despersal draft.
There's a solve all idea

Old
01-03-2004, 04:36 AM
iagreewithidiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwyck
All I really have to say to this is that if the Penguins do move, I hope the NHL does what the NFL did with Cleveland and makes the Penguins name and franchise history stay with the city until they can get their crap worked out.
I didnt like it when they didnt it with Cleveland. If they do I hope they call them by their true name the Pittsburgh Not Really the Penguins.

Old
01-04-2004, 06:09 PM
BoBo9196

Why did hockey leave Winnipeg in the first place?

Old
01-04-2004, 06:18 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBo9196
Why did hockey leave Winnipeg in the first place?
This is from memory...

To my understanding it came down to the province saying NO to a new arena so they could generate the revenue needed to survive. At that point the owners said fine, we are selling.

Old
01-04-2004, 11:26 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN

Winnipeg is THE best hockey city which currently doesn't have an NHL team, and better than alot of cities that do.

I completely agree...I went to the World Juniors in Winnipeg and the place was always packed...they even did the old "Winnipeg White Out" for the Canadian Team.

Bring back the Jets!

Old
01-05-2004, 01:36 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagreewithidiots
I didnt like it when they didnt it with Cleveland. If they do I hope they call them by their true name the Pittsburgh Not Really the Penguins.
Hartford is doing the same thing with the Whalers name.

It'll probably never get the team back, but it's keeping the name, hence why you never see any Whalers vintage stuff.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:17 AM
Dr Love

On NHL tonight on Saturday they had a discussion about the league returning to Winnipeg with Buccigross, Pang, Melrose, and Ferraro. And every one of them said it ain't happening. Portland and Houston are tops on the list of new cities.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:32 AM
wasting time

I think it is totally awesome - the prospect of Winnipeg getting a team back.

Their fans are awesome! Winnipeg is what Canadian hockey is all about and the NHL is a better league with them in the fold.

They are a pretty rowdy bunch too. The Buffalo Bills of hockey! Awesome

Old
01-05-2004, 06:33 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
It would be great to see The Peg get a new team, but not at Pittsburgh's expense. Call me a softie, but storied teams like Pittsburgh shouldn't be moved and forgotten. I realize they have pressing issues though.
Pittsburgh is another city that should not lose a franchise. Toss off nashville or some other pretender city.

Old
01-05-2004, 09:19 AM
hockey_nut

i found this on the fourth period in their rumors section

January 3, 2004
Move unlikely, for now
TheFourthPeriod.com

Following up on yesterday’s report that claimed the city of Winnipeg is interested in bringing the Pittsburgh Penguins to Manitoba, it is unlikely a move will take place any time soon.

According to sources, TFP has learned that if a deal for a new arena is not reached by the summer, or a potential league-lockout, the Penguins will be put up for sale.

Although, if the Pennsylvania state legislature wins its fight over the legalization of slots and the sixth and final thoroughbred horse track license, and a Pittsburgh based company gets that license, roughly $60 million will get poured into a new “Igloo” and the team will stay in The Burgh.

One source in Pittsburgh claims that if the Pens are available for purchase, it will go to the highest bidder, however currently owner Mario Lemieux will not allow the team to move.

i was also listening to tfp's radio show and the hosts talks about it more in depth... they say nothing will happen until the areana lease is up in 2006-07... here's the link: http://www.thefourthperiod.com/radio/
if ur listening... it's after the canadian press guy and after the rumor segment

Old
01-07-2004, 08:56 AM
Petey21

I like the idea of having Winnipeg getting a team again, they need more teams in Canada where most everyone loves hockey.

I just read some about the new arena in Winnipeg (True North Centre), and it looks like a pretty nice arena, but it has one drawback, isn't it a little small for an NHL arena? It says hockey capacity will be 15015 people, and it'd be the smallest arena in the league then. But maybe that's okay if it's sold out every night anyway (as I believe it'd be in a hockey crazy town)? And way better than some of those southern teams with bigger arenas but less than 10.000 spectators at their games...

Here's a link about the arena:

http://www.truenorthproject.mb.ca/

Closed Thread