HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Center Ice Change your opinions?

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Semenko

vCash: 500
Center Ice change your opinions?

I've been a Philly fan for years and have always been used to my team being penalized as much as any other. I always thought people that complain about officiating were nothing but a bunch of cry babies. I bring this issue up at a time when my team is doing great as far as Im concerned. So, I'm really bringing this up for the teams like the Wild, and Flames.

This year I have had Center Ice for the first time. I've been seeing all sorts of games that I normally do not.

I certainly could be wrong, but after seeing games in Atlanta, Colorado, Detroit, and a dozen other locations (I watch way too much hockey) I think the NHL is a sham. It just seems that the teams that get the ratings also get the calls they need. When I watched the Redwings and Avs play 2-3 games a year I thought nothing of it. But after watching 20 each it seems like too much of a pattern.

It also seems like the other teams are aware of the situation. They play differently then the "high ratings" teams. It seems that the calls even out, but they get to play a different game.

I hope I'm wrong, but wanted some other opinions from fans that see a lot of games. If I keep seeing a pattern I don't think it's inappropriate to think of the NHL as an entertainment show with a script rather then a sport. Sad for the players that work so hard.

By the way, I think the Avs and Redwings have great teams. Those teams would be sucessful either way. Maybe just not as much if my assertion is correct. This is more a statement on how the league pimps itself out for profits.

Last edited by Semenko: 01-01-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old
01-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semenko
It just seems that the teams that get the ratings also get the calls they need. When I watched the Redwings and Avs play 2-3 games a year I thought nothing of it. But after watching 20 each it seems like too much of a pattern.
You are correct that the best teams get a lot of calls. But your theory (implied) is flawed. They get them for two reasons which you did not touch upon:

They are superior to their opponents and thus cause penalties to be taken. That is such an obvious reason, it is amazing how people often choose to overlook it. If you play against a superior opponent, you are going to be forced into taking penalties at some point to slow them down.

The other reason is one which a lot of fans either don't understand, or just detest, which is understandable. That is, reputations matter. By virtue of success, players, specifically, and their teams often get the benefit of the doubt. That is, the fourth line RW on the Coyotes is not going to get the "tweener" call that Joe Sakic or Steve Yzerman will. May not like that, but it is fact.

Just like Michael Jordan got the benefit of the doubt. Just as Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neill do today. Same in baseball. So it goes.

If one does not accept that notion, they will be resigned to finding the sport to be a sham.

Old
01-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Semenko

I totally agree with this. As far as I'm concerned that is one of the better aspects of the game. I'm not talking about these calls. I'm talking about the poke you with my stick while I back check calls that don't happen to the Avs. Just the general style they are aloud to play.

It's kind of an intangible, so I hope I'm just watching for it. But, it really seems like some teams, not just players, get to play different styles of games then the rest of the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
They are superior to their opponents and thus cause penalties to be taken. That is such an obvious reason, it is amazing how people often choose to overlook it. If you play against a superior opponent, you are going to be forced into taking penalties at some point to slow them down.

Old
01-01-2004, 02:26 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier

True for the most part, but when the same calls go in favor of the Brookbank's and McAllister's then that is when we have a problem.

Closed Thread