HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Scott Niedermayer Possible Retirement (Rumor)

Old
07-16-2007, 09:36 AM
TeMoZ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu98 View Post
so he want retire because he is playing for SC champs and on one of the best team in last couple of years, but if we will trade him to devils he would not retire and play at least 1-2 year?
He wants to retire because he's done everything he wanted to do with us we he came here. Get Rob a cup. He's done that and now instead of play with us he wants to retire. This is the same thing with Pronger in Edmonton in my mind but instead of demanding a trade he threatens retirement.

TeMoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Pucking Dutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeMoZ View Post
He has a lot of family and friends there after being with the Devils for 12 seasons.
As far as I know he wanted to be on the west coast because that's where his family is.

Pucking Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
He wants to retire because he's done everything he wanted to do with us we he came here. Get Rob a cup. He's done that and now instead of play with us he wants to retire. This is the same thing with Pronger in Edmonton in my mind but instead of demanding a trade he threatens retirement.
So even though you justify his retirement, you include that its the SAME as Pronger? What more do you want? He brought you a cup. He's done it 4 times. After a while you begin to loose the motivation when you've done it so many times. He's already established himself as the best D in the league and he's leaving on a high note. Let him go, and thank him for the time he gave you.

I think I read somewhere that he's been aching more lately, a pain going through his leg. Obviously it wasn't enough to stop him from playing, but why risk it? He's done it all. He wants to enjoy his life with his family which I think is admirable.

I don't think what Pronger did was necessarily that bad either. Family comes first in my mind - always.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 11:19 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
I don't know the man or pretend to know his motivations, but I'd be absolutely shocked out of my skull if he was using a retirement threat as a means to generate a trade. No disrespect intended, but that seems like a reach and a half.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Awayboardn

Send a message via AIM to Awayboardn
going out on top!!! the best way!!! thanks for the great hockey memories

Awayboardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Gyroduck

Sure, he's done it all. But so has Roger Federer, but he still plays.

I suppose after signing for 4 years, had the Ducks one in his first year, he would have retired then as well. This was never about helping an organization. It was purely for selfish reasons.

No one can argue his greatness, but I have lost some respect. Thanks for the commitment.

Gyroduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Rochester22

The only reason he went to Anaheim was to play with his brother, and try and win the cup with him. I remember how awful he felt in 03' when he beat Rob.

Well he accomplished that, and now he is done.
Simple as that

Rochester22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 12:04 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroduck View Post
I suppose after signing for 4 years, had the Ducks one in his first year, he would have retired then as well. This was never about helping an organization. It was purely for selfish reasons.
Niedermayer may march to a different drummer than most pro athletes, but selfish is not a word I'd ever use to describe him. Selfish players aren't key players on championship teams at every level they've played at. Selfish players don't give up more money to play with their brother. Selfish players don't play hurt two years in a row. Selfish players don't win Conn Smythes.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Akingnomore07*

How could you say that?! Niedermayer was a major reason why we have a CUP right now before our California rivals. Maybe you haven't got it through your head yet, but....WE WON THE CUP MAN!

Akingnomore07* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 01:26 PM
arinkrat*

Quote:
He has a lot of family and friends there after being with the Devils for 12 seasons.
Friends maybe, but what family? Even a lot of his former teammates are retired (Stevens, Daneyko) or thinking about retiring (Brodeur) or gone (Gomez, Rafalski, Sykora, Arnott).

arinkrat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Did you guys ever notice that Scott has more haters than any other elite defenseman that has recently played?

People who downplay his performances and character are just foolish. The man has accomplished everything, literally, that can be done in the sport.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Sam Beckett

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam Beckett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Did you guys ever notice that Scott has more haters than any other elite defenseman that has recently played?
Chris Pronger??

Last edited by Sam Beckett: 07-16-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Sam Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 02:31 PM
arinkrat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroduck View Post
Sure, he's done it all. But so has Roger Federer, but he still plays.
Roger Federer hasn't done it all yet. He hasn't won the French Open and he hasn't passed Pete Sampras for the most career Grand Slam men's singles wins.

Old
07-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Pucking Dutchman

Quote:
I doubt that. It's probably because the "haters" are the ones that speak up whereas many of the admirers are silent. Anyone that "hates" Scott Niedermayer cannot be a hockey fan.

Pucking Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 02:40 PM
arinkrat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander View Post
I doubt that. It's probably because the "haters" are the ones that speak up whereas many of the admirers are silent. Anyone that "hates" Scott Niedermayer cannot be a hockey fan.
And more tend to be New Jersey fans too (the haters, not that Devils fans aren't hockey fans)

Old
07-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett View Post
Chris Pronger??
People hate Pronger because of the Edmonton fiasco and his arguably dirty play. But people run their mouths about Scott because they perceive him to be somehow an inferior and overrated player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arinkrat View Post
And more tend to be New Jersey fans too (the haters, not that Devils fans aren't hockey fans)
They are hockey fans... that don't buy tickets to see their team .

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Akingnomore07*

Quote:
There aren't any Ducks fans who hate Niedermayer, we're just disappointed that a player of his calibur is leaving our team so soon. Some fans tend to show their frustration and that's a natural reaction. But, I'm pretty sure he is one of the most appreciated players ever to dawn a Ducks jersey. Niedermayer played perhaps the most significant role for our team last season. He will be greatly missed if this RUMOR were to come true.

I'm still going to remain optimistic in hoping that he makes a return though

Old
07-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:

People who downplay his performances and character are just foolish. The man has accomplished everything, literally, that can be done in the sport.
Honestly I rarely see Devil fans bash him, I see it more from wings/lidstrom sympathizers who can't fathom another player being nearly as good as Lids. But Pronger get's way more crap because people dislike him personally so much...but all these people would take him on their team in a second.

We all know he's a great player and a great leader he has proven it the last two years. He wanted to lead a team to a cup without Broduer and Stevens and he did it, he wanted to win a cup for his brother and he did it.

Even if he retires now that doesn't mean it's for good, he's still young with many years left in him alot of the time these guys miss the lockerroom, but most of them are no longer good enough to play.

Last edited by Randall Graves*: 07-16-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 04:22 PM
arinkrat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
Honestly I rarely see Devil fans bash him...
Well maybe bash is a strong word, but some Devils fans in this thread aren't exactly enamored with Scott:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=401576

Last edited by arinkrat*: 07-16-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old
07-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Akingnomore07*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arinkrat View Post
Well maybe bash is a strong word, but some Devils fans in this thread aren't exactly enamored with Scott:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=401576
They just really really miss him and they also tend to show their frustration

Old
07-16-2007, 11:06 PM
rmarion

I'm still holding my breathe...................

rmarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 07:25 AM
Rec T

He's young & in relatively good health. If he's accomplished what he wanted to (win a Cup with Rob), why not go out on top (& it's hard to get nearer the top than with the Cup tucked under one arm & the Conn Smythe under the other). If he took care of his finances through the years, he's probably set up for life. It isn't that he has to keep playing as it is the only way that he knows to keep his kids fed.

So if he's covered the financial aspect enough to live comfortably & has acccomplished whatever personal goals that he set for himself, why not retire before some serious injury comes along?

As a fan I'm certainly going to miss him & wish that he would stick around. As someone in his early 40's living with the daily aches & pains of a physical younger life, (& professional hockey is MUCH more intense than what I used to do) I don't blame him a bit.

Rec T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Halifax Hellfish

He needs to let the team know now

Niedermayer may make decision before camp
Scott Niedermayer

TSN.ca Staff with CKNW files

7/17/2007 2:27:49 PM

Defenceman Scott Niedermayer hasn't made his mind up on retirement just yet, and may wait until September to make a final decision.

This isnt fair to the team or the organization. Irealize that you can replace a guy like him but he should give them the courtesy of letting them plan for life without him now. Seems a bit selfish to me.

Halifax Hellfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Sandman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hellfish View Post
Niedermayer may make decision before camp
Scott Niedermayer

TSN.ca Staff with CKNW files

7/17/2007 2:27:49 PM

Defenceman Scott Niedermayer hasn't made his mind up on retirement just yet, and may wait until September to make a final decision.

This isnt fair to the team or the organization. Irealize that you can replace a guy like him but he should give them the courtesy of letting them plan for life without him now. Seems a bit selfish to me.

If he needs time to say that he's coming back you bet Burke will give it to him. He will dump whoever he has to to keep Scott in the lineup...as he should.

Sandman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 03:06 PM
hockeymistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman33 View Post
If he needs time to say that he's coming back you bet Burke will give it to him. He will dump whoever he has to to keep Scott in the lineup...as he should.

Would he dump Rob?

That'd be a funny turn of events!

H.

hockeymistress is offline   Reply With Quote