HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Niedermayer Possible Retirement (Rumor)

Old
07-17-2007, 03:06 PM
kenabnrmal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hellfish View Post
Niedermayer may make decision before camp
Scott Niedermayer

TSN.ca Staff with CKNW files

7/17/2007 2:27:49 PM

Defenceman Scott Niedermayer hasn't made his mind up on retirement just yet, and may wait until September to make a final decision.

This isnt fair to the team or the organization. Irealize that you can replace a guy like him but he should give them the courtesy of letting them plan for life without him now. Seems a bit selfish to me.
The preparation has been made, we signed Schneider. Retirement, especially at his age, is a major life decision. I wouldn't say it's selfish to want to mull it over for the off-season, especially since players don't typically get "the itch" until camp comes around.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 03:12 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

In the end, he'll be back for one more season. IMO

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Decision in september? He better not retire, it would be really unselfish bye him to announce a retirement that late. It's unselfish enough waiting that long if he doesn't retire either...

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 03:51 PM
likewall32
**putt meem hear**

The hockey fan in me would love to see him back, as he is one of the elite defensemen in the game, and it is a treat seeing him play. The Sharks fan in me has a "Happy Retirement" Barnes and Noble gift card ready for him.

Not sure which feeling is more dominant, but if he comes back, the 8 Sharks/Ducks games will be that much more entertaining seeing Niedermayer do what he does best.

likewall32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Hold up. Nothing is official yet.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=213841&hubname=

He's going to wait until "the end of summer" (according to his agent) to make a decision.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 04:13 PM
luckoftheduck

This is horrible news for Ducks fans. Scott can take his time yes, but this is just harming the team. Burke now has to assume that he's coming back because he won't know if his salary is coming off until training camp. We'll probably see Marchant and Bryz go bye bye and see him sign a guy like Sean Burke to backup. We now might have to wait a lot longer to sign Penner because his contract will put us over the cap. AND we can't sign Teemu until training camp. I don't know who this Scott Niedermayer thinks he is, the best player in the NHL?

luckoftheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 04:27 PM
ktulu98

no selfishnes

look if burke wanted him to annouced it ASAP he would do that, but burke give him and teemu as much time as they want

and these 2 guys deserve it

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Jerky Leclerc

If Scotty wants to come back, Burke will make space. I'm sure the Ducks won't have any problems trading a player from their Stanley Cup Championship team.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 04:48 PM
luckoftheduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
If Scotty wants to come back, Burke will make space. I'm sure the Ducks won't have any problems trading a player from their Stanley Cup Championship team.
How do you propose him making space for both Selanne and Niedermayer? and also, why wouldn't we have a problem trading someone who won us the cup?

Old
07-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Kick Save

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckoftheduck View Post
This is horrible news for Ducks fans. Scott can take his time yes, but this is just harming the team. Burke now has to assume that he's coming back because he won't know if his salary is coming off until training camp. We'll probably see Marchant and Bryz go bye bye and see him sign a guy like Sean Burke to backup. We now might have to wait a lot longer to sign Penner because his contract will put us over the cap. AND we can't sign Teemu until training camp. I don't know who this Scott Niedermayer thinks he is, the best player in the NHL?
My two-cents' worth:

1. This isn't "horrible for Ducks fans". Scottie has been pretty clear than he is "leaning" toward retirement. In some places, they've said that he's "strongly" leaning in that direction. He's a thoughtful and somewhat cautious guy. If I had to bet, I'd say he's going to retire. I think what he's trying to avoid is saying that he'll retire and then, when the pre-season and season roll around, he'll have to change his mind. Being in limbo isn't ideal for Burke, but SN has made his intentions known. He just hasn't finalized his decision.

2. Matthew Schneider was signed immediately after Niedermayer said he was leaning toward retirement. Scottie called Burke on the morning of July 1st---the first day any Free Agent could sign with another team---to tell him about the likelihood of his retirement.

3. Burke's a near-genius. He'll be able to handle this situation irrespective of which way Scott Niedermayer and/or Teemu go.

4. Teemu and SN are two of the classiest guys in the NHL. There's no doubt in my mind that they are not "hesitating" to jerk the Ducks around or to get a better contract.

5. I don't understand why you say that Burke has to assume that Scottie is coming back. IMHO, Burke merely has to calculate the likelihood that Scottie will come back versus the likelihood that he will retire.

6. As others have noted, hockeywise, SN has done it all. There's little left for him to accomplish. Why not leave while he's on top and not subject to the problems resulting from a lifetime injury (or injuries).

7. I think it's pretty unlikely that Sean Burke winds up here. Jonas Hiller was signed to be the backup. Since he hasn't played in the NHL, it's always possible he could bomb. Even then, though, I 'm not sure Sean Burke would be the best alternative.

8. No need to bag on Scottie: Burke has most of the bases covered.

Kick Save is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Trade Bertuzzi. Oh wait, not with that godawful contract...

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Zymergist

Quote:
How do you propose him making space for both Selanne and Niedermayer? and also, why wouldn't we have a problem trading someone who won us the cup?
Burke will do what he has to.

Per: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/ana.html

We have $2.853M space right now with Niedermayer still on the roster and we are trying to shed $ 1.363M of cap space from Bryz anyway so think of it as $4.216M cap hit room without moving anyone other then someone who is already basically gone to sign Penner and Selanne (if he decides to still play).

If Niedermayer returns Jackman and Dipenta are arn't going to see any icetime so they will be signed to be traded or just not signed, if he does not return we have loads of room. Moran will probably never see the NHL again and Caron is signed to play in Switzerland so both won't impact our cap.

$4.216M is not that much room considering Penner will probably be around $2M and Selanne was $6M last season. But since we are allowed to go over the cap by 7.5% to pay bonuses (with the provision that any team doing this will have its upper limit reduced for the following season by the amount it exceeds the current year's upper limit) and Selanne will probably have a bonus heavy contract anyway that gives us just about the right number to squeak by if needed and not really lose anything.

If Hiller stays in the minors, we also do not have to count his signing bonus against the cap so that would free up another $3.2M cap room...but then we would need another goalie.

Zymergist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 07:01 PM
190Octane

Do Hiller's bonuses count against the cap if he doesn't reach them or how do those figure in?

I thought that we're allowed to go above the cap with bonuses but they come off next year's cap.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Zymergist

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral_CB View Post
Do Hiller's bonuses count against the cap if he doesn't reach them or how do those figure in?

I thought that we're allowed to go above the cap with bonuses but they come off next year's cap.
My understanding is:

Teams may not go above the cap amount on base salary and may not go above 1.075 * cap amount with max possible bonuses at any time during the season.

At the end of the season both the base salary + bonus actually paid by the team must not exceed the cap amount. If they do exceed the cap amount then the teamís cap is lowered by the amount it exceeded the following year. So if a player does not earn a bonus then it does not count against the cap at the end of the season.

Zymergist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
List me players on the team that can not be traded via salary dump? I can't think of any.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
he's not harming anyone, retirement is a big decision and if he's wavering he should take his time. We might have to trade Bryz and Marchant(Marchants salary will definitely be rid of some way if SN returns) regardless, and if Scott comes back the Samuelli's will probably ok eating more salary considering the circumstances and the potential of the team.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:52 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
If Niedermayer makes the surprising decision to come back, something tells me that Pronger might be the one traded. Just a hunch.

If my hunch proves correct, it will be terrible for the Ducks, since they will have definitely gotten worse by replacing Pronger with Schneider.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:53 PM
TeMoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
If Niedermayer makes the surprising decision to come back, something tells me that Pronger might be the one traded. Just a hunch.

If my hunch proves correct, it will be terrible for the Ducks, since they will have definitely gotten worse by replacing Pronger with Schneider.
Why? We're fine on caps space WITH Scotty.

TeMoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:54 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeMoZ View Post
Why?
Why what?

Old
07-17-2007, 09:56 PM
TeMoZ

Quote:
Why what?
Why would we trade Pronger?

TeMoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:00 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeMoZ View Post
Why would we trade Pronger?
To get down to the budget.

In terms of salary cap space, the Ducks would be fine. But the Ducks budget wasn't set at the ceiling of the cap. It was set at around the $42-$44 million range. Obviously, that is what the Samueli's feel as though they can afford in consideration of their revenues. And successful businessmen like Burke don't get successful by going 15% over budget. Going 15% over budget is a surefire way for any business to lose money.

Old
07-17-2007, 10:24 PM
luckoftheduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
List me players on the team that can not be traded via salary dump? I can't think of any.
McDonald: you won't find a cheaper #1 or #2 center
Pahlsson: won't be traded
Moen: won't be traded
Parros: won't be traded
May: won't be traded
Kunitz: won't be traded
Getzlaf: won't be traded...cheap
Perry: won't be traded...cheap
Giguere: won't be traded
Bryz: would only be about a 500k salary dump considering we would have to sign a cheap backup for it to be a salary dump at all.
Hnidy: won't be traded
Pronger: won't be traded
O'Donnell: good value
Beauchemin: great value
Huskins: promising and just resigned
so that leaves Marchant and Rob Niedermayer. It would be near impossible to deal Marchant for anyone decent. Rob Niedermayer isn't a very attractive contract for people to take on either, and trading him would be a mistake IMO, he is very important to this team. Cap info I'm getting says we have 1.581 in cap space, per wildcat. Resigning Penner and Selanne would take 6-8 million meaning we would be approx 5-6 million over. It would be near impossible to dump that much, but we'll see maybe scott will retire after all. Maybe Teemu too in which case we'll be more than fine. We also have to consider giving Perry and Getzlaf a cumulative 7-8 million dollar raise next year.

Old
07-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Akingnomore07*

Quote:
To get down to the budget.

In terms of salary cap space, the Ducks would be fine. But the Ducks budget wasn't set at the ceiling of the cap. It was set at around the $42-$44 million range. Obviously, that is what the Samueli's feel as though they can afford in consideration of their revenues. And successful businessmen like Burke don't get successful by going 15% over budget. Going 15% over budget is a surefire way for any business to lose money.
Trading away Pronger would be the biggest mistakes of our lives folks Pronger is THE BEST quarterback on the powerplay. Without him, Scotty can't roam around as much as he wants to. The combination of Pronger and Niedermayer is the reason why our powerplay is very frightening

Akingnomore07* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:47 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
so that leaves Marchant and Rob Niedermayer. It would be near impossible to deal Marchant for anyone decent. Rob Niedermayer isn't a very attractive contract for people to take on either, and trading him would be a mistake IMO, he is very important to this team.
Yes we probably wouldn't be able to trade people for anyone decent, but that's why cap dumps get poor returns. But if we REALLY needed to clear space, we could trade Marchant for like a 5th round pick. Or say a minor league minimum salary center. Or an overpaid 4th line center making say 1.5 million. Or we could just waive him, but this is highly unlikely since we're more concerned about actual dollars paid rather than the cap. There's lots of ways to clear salary for Scott and Teemu if we need to.

And remember if we're desperate we can still deal Bertuzzi or Schneider. An NTC only means the player has to agree to be traded, which is a barrier but not nearly as much as people seem to think.

And I'm pretty sure at least one of Teemu or Niedermayer retires, making most of this moot. The other will probably retire next year.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Duck Fan

Burke is a smart business man. He most certainly knows that Scooty is going to retire. He is not one to put himself in an extremely vulnerable position of being over the cap. I can't imagine that he would have placed himself in a position of being way way over the cap and leaving himself no options short of gutting the team. He knows Scotty is going to retire and possibly Teemu also. So IMHO opinion, not to worry.

Duck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote