HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Kariya update

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Yayo

vCash: 500
Kariya update

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...864345,00.html

Quote:
Left wing Paul Kariya skated in the morning, and shot and stickhandled the puck. He should be in the lineup no later than Sunday against Minnesota.
That sounds like good news.

Old
01-02-2004, 06:51 PM
West Coast Express

this is kinda off topic but...

once kariya is back and the two top lines are in form do you think sakic's production with increase? decrease? stay the same?

Old
01-04-2004, 02:34 AM
Upon1

Is Kariya back for today's game vs Minny?

Old
01-04-2004, 04:23 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upon1
Is Kariya back for today's game vs Minny?
According to the DP, that will be determined by the Avs this morning.

Considering how conservative the Avs have been with his injury, it would not surprise me if he doesn't play until Tuesday.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:05 AM
IceBagadonuts

Kariya, etc.

FWIW, Kariya is NOT listed in today's official Game Notes Line-up Card. Curiously, Sakic (jaw) is... as is the just recalled Brad Larsen... giving the Avs a total of 21 skaters on the roster.

If Kariya does play, somebody else will need to be dropped via some move (I.R., AHL, etc.). Krestanovich?

IF Sakic is dropped AND Kariya returns, who centers the Kariya-Selanne line? Kono? Brigley (with an ailing back)? Tanguay?

There's a significant ripples-across-the-pond effect here. So, I'd also be somewhat surprised if they bring Kariya back in a game with another makeshift lineup. On the other hand, "makeshift" ain't new here.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:43 AM
IceBagadonuts

Kariya, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Joe
If Kariya does play and Sakic doesn't, do you think Granato would put Forsberg between them just to see how it works? I bet it'll be either Kono or Niko to center them.
That's a very good question, Super.

My guess is that Granato will try a mixture of Flavor-Of-The-Minute lines, with Forsberg and Niko doing some double-shifting, but Kono centering at least half that line's shifts.

The resulting lack of cohesiveness will pose a major risk against Minnesota's trapping/back-checking/turnover-provoking system tonight. I look for another dull, low-scoring game...with the Av's frustrations and mistakes (turnovers) making the big difference. I hope I'm wrong.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:56 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Kariya - Forsberg - Selanne
Konowalchuk - Tanguay - Hejduk

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Steve Konowalchuk is much more of a second line player than Andrei Nikolishin is.

Old
01-04-2004, 11:05 AM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Kariya - Forsberg - Selanne
Konowalchuk - Tanguay - Hejduk

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Steve Konowalchuk is much more of a second line player than Andrei Nikolishin is.
i disagree with the line combos...you can't break up the AMP line. their chemistry is out of this world. i wouldn't mind if either kono or niko centered the kariya-selanne line for today's game. you know id like for tony to experiment with a third line consisting of Hinote-Niko-Selanne just for the hell of it. I honestly believe that Selanne thrives best when he's the main man on a line (as he did during the 98-99 season when he was an MVP candidate). i also believe the focus of the second line should be the chemistry between kariya and sakic, with kono crashing the net.

Old
01-04-2004, 11:28 AM
Yayo

ESPN says that he will likely miss tonight's game against the Wild.

Quote:
However, Avalanche center Joe Sakic is listed as day-to-day after suffering a fractured jaw in Wednesday's game against Calgary. After undergoing surgery Saturday, Sakic will miss Sunday's contest, but could play in Tuesday against Columbus.

Old
01-04-2004, 01:36 PM
CanadaAvalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
i disagree with the line combos...you can't break up the AMP line. their chemistry is out of this world. i wouldn't mind if either kono or niko centered the kariya-selanne line for today's game. you know id like for tony to experiment with a third line consisting of Hinote-Niko-Selanne just for the hell of it. I honestly believe that Selanne thrives best when he's the main man on a line (as he did during the 98-99 season when he was an MVP candidate). i also believe the focus of the second line should be the chemistry between kariya and sakic, with kono crashing the net.
I agree that you cannot break up the AMP line due to their chemistry, but you also can't break up Kariya-Selanne. When they were together they both argueably played the best hockey of their career. They were one of the best duos in recent memory and if they can rekindle that magic with the AMP line clicking, then watch out. Also Karyia-Selanne both took paycuts so they could play together and I think the Avs should repay the favor and let them play on the same line.

Old
01-04-2004, 03:06 PM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaAvalanche
I agree that you cannot break up the AMP line due to their chemistry, but you also can't break up Kariya-Selanne. When they were together they both argueably played the best hockey of their career. They were one of the best duos in recent memory and if they can rekindle that magic with the AMP line clicking, then watch out. Also Karyia-Selanne both took paycuts so they could play together and I think the Avs should repay the favor and let them play on the same line.
i think they already had their shot earlier in the season to show some of that magic but i guess giving them a little more could certainly be huge for them. as well, even if kariya and selanne signed with the avs under the impression they were gonna play together (which would be done on the PP if I had my choice), their ambitions can't necessarily dictate what could be best for the team. certainly, if they came to colorado ultimately to win the cup, i think they would accept my move.

Old
01-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Yayo

Quote:
i think they already had their shot earlier in the season to show some of that magic but i guess giving them a little more could certainly be huge for them.

They played five games together until Kariya was injured.

Old
01-04-2004, 04:42 PM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man

They played five games together until Kariya was injured.
they had the pre-season and early part of the season to re-develop their chemistry. over a span of a month, they've had like 8 games together. i suppose that may not be long enough but i would think they would have had better chemistry towards the end of october, in fact, i think kariya now better feeds off sakic's play and despite the fact they don't have as a strong a history of playing together. maybe that could be the problem too! sakic could be interfering with kariya and selanne's chemistry. or selanne possibly isn't as talented as he was in anaheim. maybe both players forgot the little plays they used to do together so successfully and they just may need more time to gel. i have no clue what could be the problem as i haven't watched the avs that closely. i hope someone can chime in to provide some feedback.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Yayo

Well, both Kariya and Sakic are out...Steve Moore is centering Konowalchuk and Selanne.

1-0 Wild after the first.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:34 PM
psycho_dad

Quote:
they had the pre-season and early part of the season to re-develop their chemistry. over a span of a month, they've had like 8 games together. i suppose that may not be long enough but i would think they would have had better chemistry towards the end of october, in fact, i think kariya now better feeds off sakic's play and despite the fact they don't have as a strong a history of playing together. maybe that could be the problem too! sakic could be interfering with kariya and selanne's chemistry. or selanne possibly isn't as talented as he was in anaheim. maybe both players forgot the little plays they used to do together so successfully and they just may need more time to gel. i have no clue what could be the problem as i haven't watched the avs that closely. i hope someone can chime in to provide some feedback.

I never thought they had a problem in the games they played. They played well together in those few games before Kariyas injury. Of course they should play together when all are healthy...that line will dominate.

Nobody should expect each of these all star forwards to put up huge numbers this season. The PP time they all see now, is reduced from previous years because there are two lines that can do it. What they need to work with is to get all guys healthy, then letting them play in their lines and get more used to steady linemates. Their goal is the Stanley cup, and they still have 40 games to come up with chemistry on all 4 lines.

Old
01-05-2004, 11:41 AM
CanadaAvalanche

Quote:

I don't think their chemistry is interfered with at all. Preseason means NOTHING when it comes to stats and production. In preseason not all the stars players are playing, many fourth liners are getting tons of minutes, and a lot of non-NHLers are playing. Up until when Kariya got injured in his 5th game he had 3 goals and 2 assists in four games and Selanne has 1 goal and 3 assists in four games, not bad numbers at all (I'm not including the fifth game because of the injury). That is over a point per game for Kariya and a point per game for Selanne and that is only 4 games in, just wait until they get into a consistent amount of games!

Closed Thread