HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miro Satan, available?

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 03:44 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Miro Satan, available?

Now I know Canucks and Sabres fans have been in discussion about Satan in the past, but I'm wondering, with the Sabres' record, Satan's production this year and his salary, could Satan be dealt before this year's trade deadline? I ask this because Burke was apparently very interested in Satan at last years trade deadline but couldn't put together a package that Buffalo was interested in enough to trade him for. Could this year be any different? Would Satan's dissapointing performanace this year combined with his salary be enough to trade him? There has been talk by the Canucks' assistant GM Dave Nonis that the Canucks are looking at possibly acquiring a forward who can pot 25-30 goals on the 2nd line. Anyway, I was jsut wondering what Sabres fans feel about the situation. Could Satan be dealt to Vancouver, and if so, what do you feel the Sabres would be interested in as a return?

Thanks, you input is appreciated!

Old
12-30-2003, 06:18 PM
gmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Now I know Canucks and Sabres fans have been in discussion about Satan in the past, but I'm wondering, with the Sabres' record, Satan's production this year and his salary, could Satan be dealt before this year's trade deadline? I ask this because Burke was apparently very interested in Satan at last years trade deadline but couldn't put together a package that Buffalo was interested in enough to trade him for. Could this year be any different? Would Satan's dissapointing performanace this year combined with his salary be enough to trade him? There has been talk by the Canucks' assistant GM Dave Nonis that the Canucks are looking at possibly acquiring a forward who can pot 25-30 goals on the 2nd line. Anyway, I was jsut wondering what Sabres fans feel about the situation. Could Satan be dealt to Vancouver, and if so, what do you feel the Sabres would be interested in as a return?

Thanks, you input is appreciated!
You can have him for a cold six pack of Canadian and a bag of pucks.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:10 PM
ajsonor

How frusterated is Vancouver with the Sedins? I know that many fans and Regeir are interested in Bryan Allen because of his size and potential. I'd think that Buffalo would be interested in a player or two who can immediately step into the lineup, that would ease the trading of the teams most visable player for some fans.

Start with a Sedin, preferably Daniel, and add Allen, and see where that goes.

Old
12-31-2003, 04:24 AM
Takeo

Matt Cooke or Bryan Allen, same old.

Old
12-31-2003, 04:39 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Matt Cooke or Bryan Allen, same old.
I have a feeling that Regier would ask for Cooke and Allen for Satan.

And that's where that deal would die.

Old
12-31-2003, 05:30 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob

That's why it becomes more evident every day that it's mightily important for Darcy to make sure he can make a check mark in the "win column" of his trade sheet.

This guy is afraid to take a chance on a trade.

So long as he has the trusty Sharpie ready to for the "W" column, otherwise furgehddit.

Old
12-31-2003, 05:33 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I don't blame him for wanting maximum return for a player of Satan's calibre.

Take a risk when moving a guy like Rasmussen, not when you move the best offensive talent on your squad.

Old
12-31-2003, 05:53 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
at the deadline he might go. i would say their listenin personally. not nececcerily available.

Old
12-31-2003, 05:56 AM
Takeo

Quote:

I doubt Cooke is available to begin with. If Vancouver is willing to take the contract, I'd consider Satan for Allen, Bieksa + 2nd or something similar.

Old
12-31-2003, 08:34 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsonor
How frusterated is Vancouver with the Sedins?
It's hard to tell. On one hand, they were high draft picks and were marketed by the media to be the next Forsberg's, obviously way too high of expectations. And they haven't shown much of an offensive game to date. On the other thand, they are very good two-way players, something that is very rare for players their age. They are still on 23 years old, so there is still plenty of time for them to break out offensively, but a lot of fans see them as solid, two-way 3rd liners right now.

Quote:
I know that many fans and Regeir are interested in Bryan Allen because of his size and potential. I'd think that Buffalo would be interested in a player or two who can immediately step into the lineup, that would ease the trading of the teams most visable player for some fans.

Start with a Sedin, preferably Daniel, and add Allen, and see where that goes.
I doubt either Henrik or Daniel get's dealt, their value is just too low right now. On top of that, any secondary scorer who is brought in will likely play alongside the, so trading them for that scorer doesn't make much sense, unless it's a really good player.

Old
12-31-2003, 08:38 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:

I'd probably have done that at this time last season, but this year, no way no how. Satan's play and salary will likely mean only a handful of teams would be interested in him, and combined with Allen's play thusfar this season, it's a deal I couldn't even think about right now.

Quote:
Exactly. I doubt either Cooke or Allen will be dealt in order to get a secondary scorer, unless it's a guy like Jeff O'Neill, someone who would bring toughness and grit back. The Canucks would lose too much grit, physicality, and defensive prescence if they trade Allen and Cooke for Satan, and they can't afford to do that.

Old
12-31-2003, 08:47 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Ryan Kesler and Kiril Koltsov and a 1st rounder for Satan.

I'm not just sold on Cooke.He may be cheap now, but if he is still producing, you don't think he won't want 2 or 3 million?When Allen plays a full season then I can pass judgement.He is 23, so he should be playing full time now.

Old
12-31-2003, 08:50 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
I doubt Cooke is available to begin with. If Vancouver is willing to take the contract, I'd consider Satan for Allen, Bieksa + 2nd or something similar.
I doubt Allen is traded the way he has been playing unless the Canucks get a similar player in return. What about something like this:

To Vancouver

Miro Satan

To Buffalo

Brent Sopel
Jason King or Artem Chubarov
pick/prospect

Sopel gives the Sabres a top 4 defender with the potential to QB a PP. Sopel has been playing over 20 min/game against the other teams' top players in a shut down role and is also on pace for 40 points, and this is QB'ing the Canucks 2nd PP with no Nazzy or Bert. I don't want to trade Sopel, but if it was between Sopel or Allen, I'd have to move Sopel just because the Canucks have quite a few similar players(Jovo, Salo, Slegr), but nobody who is like Allen.

King gives the Sabres a player who can help to replace Satan's offense. He got off to a hot start this year, but he and the Sedins have cooled off dramatically. Still, he has the potential to be a 20-25 goal scorer in the NHL. He has the skating ability, shot and willingness to pay the price to get a goal. Chubarov would give the Sabres a quality 3rd/4th line center who can be used as a shutdown center as well as a top PK'er. Not sure if the Sabres need a guy like Chubby, but he could be available.

In any case, if the Canucks go out and get a secondary scorer I could see them offering the following assets:

Brent Sopel, Jason King, Artem Chubarov, R.J. Umberger, picks/prospects, possible Bryan Allen. If that is enough to acquire a player like Satan, then so be it. If not, the Canucks will just have to look elsewhere.

I appreciate your oppinions.

Old
12-31-2003, 08:52 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48

I'm not just sold on Cooke.He may be cheap now, but if he is still producing, you don't think he won't want 2 or 3 million?When Allen plays a full season then I can pass judgement.He is 23, so he should be playing full time now.
Hmm, take out Kesler and replace him with Artem Chubarov and I'd do it. The Canucks are very high on Ryan Kesler, I doubt he is dealt. If Chubarov is moved, Kesler would likely be the one to take over his spot.

As for Cooke, he still has two years left at around $500,000 each year, but the Canucks are trying to get a long term deal with him. They are willing to give away another two years of paying Cooke practically nothing in order to get him signed long term, that's how important he is to the Canucks.

Old
12-31-2003, 09:15 AM
Takeo

Quote:
I doubt Allen is traded the way he has been playing unless the Canucks get a similar player in return. What about something like this:

To Vancouver

Miro Satan

To Buffalo

Brent Sopel
Jason King or Artem Chubarov
pick/prospect
No thanks. I used to think BUF and VAN were good trading partners but not so much anymore.

Old
12-31-2003, 09:15 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Hmm, take out Kesler and replace him with Artem Chubarov and I'd do it. The Canucks are very high on Ryan Kesler, I doubt he is dealt. If Chubarov is moved, Kesler would likely be the one to take over his spot.

As for Cooke, he still has two years left at around $500,000 each year, but the Canucks are trying to get a long term deal with him. They are willing to give away another two years of paying Cooke practically nothing in order to get him signed long term, that's how important he is to the Canucks.

It would have to be Kesler.Chubarov has no offensive value, and on the Sabres, he wouldn't crack the top 4 centers.Chubarov is 24, and has shown nothing great about him and to get Satan it would most likely need 2 top prospects and a pick.Satan is still regarded as a top scorer and if he went to an offensive team he would explode.

Old
12-31-2003, 09:17 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
No thanks. I used to think BUF and VAN were good trading partners but not so much anymore.
Fair enough. I know that the Sabres would likely be interested in Allen and Cooke, but IMO, there is very little chance that either is dealt. The Canucks will likely try to use the above players I mentioned to acquire a secondary scorer. If Miro can't be had, they'll move on to the next option.

Old
12-31-2003, 09:20 AM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
From a Buffalo standpoint, I'd do that in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, Vancouver would never do it. Kesler is a very hot commodity to Burke and Koltsov will be an offensive threat for them soon to come. Koltsov's too crafty of a defenseman for Burke to move at this stage of the game. I don't even know if Vancouver'd do that if you take out Kesler and throw in Chubarov. I'm not quite sure what Vancouver has defensively in the bank in the minors, but Koltsov is certainly their top defensive prospect IMO. That's quite a bit for a lackluster (this season) Satan. Maybe Vancouver would do:

Cooke, Koltsov, 1st, 2nd for Satan and Tallinder. Although I like what I have seen from Henrik, I'd love to have Cooke. The first gives us a chance to either sneak in a defenseman late in the first round or grab a forward after taking a d-man early in the round. Once again you pick up on Koltsov, who can jump up and help Buffalo in the scoring department in the next 2-3 years, although you do give up Satan, you give Kotalik more ice time to try and breakout.

Old
12-31-2003, 09:25 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
It would have to be Kesler.Chubarov has no offensive value, and on the Sabres, he wouldn't crack the top 4 centers.Chubarov is 24, and has shown nothing great about him and to get Satan it would most likely need 2 top prospects and a pick.Satan is still regarded as a top scorer and if he went to an offensive team he would explode.
I guess it wouldn't happen then, Kesler is very highly thought of in Vancouver, being compared to a young Mike Peca or Trevor Linden. The Canucks will hang onto him.

I guess there may not be any basis for a Satan to Vancouver deal. It looks like most fans feel that the Sabres would be interested in some gritty, solid defensively, leadership type, players ala Matt Cooke, Bryan Allen,and Ryan Kelser, but the Canucks can't afford to trade those types without getting that kind of player in return. If this was Jeff O'Neill we were talking about, then it would make more sense. But Satan is a soft, point producer, someone the Canucks could use, but not at the expense of the players being mentioned in this thread, especially at Satan's salary.

Old
12-31-2003, 09:30 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresIn05
From a Buffalo standpoint, I'd do that in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, Vancouver would never do it. Kesler is a very hot commodity to Burke and Koltsov will be an offensive threat for them soon to come. Koltsov's too crafty of a defenseman for Burke to move at this stage of the game. I don't even know if Vancouver'd do that if you take out Kesler and throw in Chubarov. I'm not quite sure what Vancouver has defensively in the bank in the minors, but Koltsov is certainly their top defensive prospect IMO. That's quite a bit for a lackluster (this season) Satan.
Well Koltsov has been a bit of a dissapointment thus far in Manitoba. He has the talent to be a good NHL player, but the Canucks have quite a young defense as it is led by Jovo and Ohlund both 27. Sopel is 26 and Bryan Allen is 23. On top of that the Canucks strong point is offensive d-men, Koltsov would have a tough time cracking the Canucks' top 6, especially considering the Canucks also have Tomas Mojzis in Manitoba who plays a similar style.

Quote:
Maybe Vancouver would do:

Cooke, Koltsov, 1st, 2nd for Satan and Tallinder. Although I like what I have seen from Henrik, I'd love to have Cooke. The first gives us a chance to either sneak in a defenseman late in the first round or grab a forward after taking a d-man early in the round. Once again you pick up on Koltsov, who can jump up and help Buffalo in the scoring department in the next 2-3 years, although you do give up Satan, you give Kotalik more ice time to try and breakout.
That is far worse then the 1st one IMO. Cooke won't be traded, he's too valuable. Koltsov, 1st and 2nd is too much future to give up and Tallinder would likely not crack the Canucks' top 6 on defense.

Last edited by Peter Griffin: 12-31-2003 at 09:34 AM.
Old
12-31-2003, 09:55 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresIn05
Vancouver probably wouldn't do Cooke for Satan straight up. Henrik is worth a 2nd tops.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:23 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Van. Satan,Delmore,and Connoly

Buf. both Sedin brothers and a 7th round pick

Old
12-31-2003, 11:51 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
Van. Satan,Delmore,and Connoly

Buf. both Sedin brothers and a 7th round pick
I wouldn't touch it from a Canucks perspective. First off, I wouldn't trade the Sedins straight up for Satan, secondly, Delmore and Connolly are useless and IMO, having them in the proposal actually makes it a worse deal for the Canucks.

Old
01-01-2004, 12:44 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
His current salary and current offensive output not to mention his questionable attitude has lowered his value quite a bit.

a good prospect and a #1 should be enough nobody will overpay for him unless they are desperate and nothing else is out there.

Old
01-01-2004, 08:09 AM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
His current salary and current offensive output not to mention his questionable attitude has lowered his value quite a bit.

a good prospect and a #1 should be enough nobody will overpay for him unless they are desperate and nothing else is out there.

miro satan having an attitude problem is a SERIOUS misconception

Closed Thread