Notices

Lupul

Old
07-16-2007, 09:19 AM
martin27

vCash: 500
Lupul

Hi, flyer fan here...
I was wondering what your opinions on Lupul are and whether you think he can succeed in a flyers jersey,
thoughts?
thanks...

martin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 09:25 AM
TeMoZ

I'm not sure on how he'll do. He has the skill and talent to be a very very good player but it's his work ethic that is the problem. If Stevens can get him to work hard on a consistent basis then I see him succeeding with the Flyers. He might not like the weather but I think he likes it much better than Edmonton.

Last edited by TeMoZ: 07-16-2007 at 09:38 AM.
TeMoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 09:29 AM
kenabnrmal

I think he'll come around. Hopefully, for his sake, Edmonton was a wake-up call. He has the ability to be a very good top-six forward. If he regains his confidence and plays with the sort of desperation and urgency it takes to be successful, he'll be fine.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Pucking Dutchman

I agree with TeMoZ and ken; I think one of the major reasons he did not live up to expectations in Edmonton is the incredible amount of pressure put on him by the team, fans, and even his family. That city is all about hockey and it is very difficult to get away from it; not so much in Philly I would think so if his work ethic improves he should be fine.

Pucking Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 11:36 AM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

Also, if you can put Lupul with a playmaker like Mike Richards or Jeff Carter, I can see it work out.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 11:39 AM
caliamad

Lupul is a finisher who has lost his confidence.

He's not an banger or forechecker. His playmaking skills from what I remember were nice at times, but not consistently a threat.

He can look invisible for 59 minutes and score 2 goals.

Problem is 9 out of 10 times he'll probably look invisible for 60 minutes.

I don't think its his work ethic, its just his style of play.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 12:19 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

He's just terrible without the puck. His defense is mediocre, his physical play comes and goes, and he was probably our weakest along the boards and as a forechecker. And even with the puck, he's mainly just a shooter (although his puckhandling was a bit better than I expected). In Edmonton, he even lost confidence in that.

Still, put him in a situation where someone else is attracting all the attention and setting him up for shots, and he'll probably end up a pretty valuable player. He's one of those guys who needs a very specific situation and role to be successful. I suspect playing with a legit star center would result in him popping in 40+ goals.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 12:37 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
I have doubts that either Lupul or Pitkanen turn it around in their new clubs. My take is both had trouble dealing with the pressure of their towns. I didn't think Philly was a pressure-packed town, but it was apparently too much for Pitkanen, so it might be too much for Lupul as well. Both players may need to move elsewhere before establishing themselves.

But if you make sure Lupul is paired with linemates who can set him up and do all the dirty work, he could succeed. Also make sure they can make up for his defense. And your coach is going to have to motivate/teach him about all the parts of the game other than shooting.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 12:46 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
He's just terrible without the puck. His defense is mediocre, his physical play comes and goes, and he was probably our weakest along the boards and as a forechecker. And even with the puck, he's mainly just a shooter (although his puckhandling was a bit better than I expected). In Edmonton, he even lost confidence in that.
I never realized Brett Hull posted on HFboards.

Old
07-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Akingnomore07*

Lupul was not focused and prepared last season, which is the reason why he didn't have much success in Edmonton. He never wanted to be traded away from Anaheim, but Burke had to in order to package him along with Smid to get Pronger. Lupul defininitely has potential and I can see him bounce back in a Flyers uniform next season.

Akingnomore07* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 12:56 PM
NYVanfan

vCash: 50
who did he play with when he scored 28 on the Ducks?

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Pwnasaurus

He will have a huge goal scoring season on a line with Briere and Gagne where he doesn't have to do anything but shoot the puck in good situations.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Akingnomore07*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
I believe it was Marchant and Penner

Old
07-16-2007, 01:00 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akingnomore07 View Post
thanks
doesn't that take a bit of wind out of the "he needs a star center" arguement?

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Akingnomore07*

Quote:
thanks
doesn't that take a bit of wind out of the "he needs a star center" arguement?
He doesn't necessarily need a star center, but chemistry and a player who could dish out nice passes to him could really help. I remember he scored 4 goals during the colorado series 2 seasons ago, but Penner made some really nice crisp passes to him in front of the net. Lupul deserves credit for putting it in the net 4 times though. That's not easy to do

Old
07-16-2007, 01:29 PM
martin27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akingnomore07 View Post
Hartnell - Richards - Lupul, could work then?

The thing is i see him and Hartnell in the top 2 lines and im not sure if whether he and Carter would be good seeing as their both shoot first players. Could Lupul work with Carter?

martin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Ducksforcup
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
I never realized Brett Hull posted on HFboards.
Good one!

I think that Lupes will do much better in Philadelphia with better linemates than he had in Edmonton.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 01:44 PM
sweetcrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander View Post
I agree with TeMoZ and ken; I think one of the major reasons he did not live up to expectations in Edmonton is the incredible amount of pressure put on him by the team, fans, and even his family. That city is all about hockey and it is very difficult to get away from it; not so much in Philly I would think so if his work ethic improves he should be fine.

Oil fan here... Apologies in advance.

That said, I really think your claims about pressure on Lupul to excel in Edmonton is/was overblown. Being from Edmonton, I'm well aware of the focus or scrutiny these players are under, however some players thrive in it, others seem to take it far too personally, yet others take the scrutiny like it never even happened.

It really becomes how the player approaches the game and all that comes with it. Kevin Lowe mentioned that the Buffalo Sabres should "take the personal out of it" when describing the Vanek offer sheet, well I believe Lupul really couldn't do that here in Edmonton. To me, it doesn't appear that he could take the "personal" out of the scrutiny.

On a fundamantal level, this is what I don't really understand. I'd guess that a majority of fans on HFBoards and/or other forums drive popular sentiment and potentiially the type of questioning a players receives from sports reporters. Chalk it up to a lack of mental toughness on Lupul's part. However you define "mental toughness", it would be difficult to say that Lupul has a ton of it. That being said, it certainly isn't something that can really be taught per se. He'll either increase it through experience or not increase it at all. If that's the case, Lupul would best be served by playing in an area with little to no fanfare at all. Some players just don't do well with all of the attention.

I can tell you though that aside from your typical jerk or two in the stands, Edmonton certainly treated Joff well. I know he has the ability, and I'm actually disappointed he was traded, but it was probably the best thing for him. The fans in Philly aren't exactly the type to coddle players either so Lupul has his work cut out for him, but at this point in his career he either has to sink or swim (insert typical cliche here). He has the potential certainly, but there have been a lot of players with "potential" in the past. Hopefully, he gets beyond the mental insecurities it appeared he had/has and goes onto a great career. It's too bad it didn't work out in Edmonton, but once he's able to really put all of the crap that people say in the press to the side and simply disregard it, the sooner he'll be a 40 goal player. He's got the ability, but I think he'd be well served to have a mentor of sorts to really guide him through the next few years to get him on track.

Much of the so-called "pressure" from Edmonton was largely self-imposed and it's only Lupul that has control over that.

Cheers guys. Hopefully I didn't over impose.

Last edited by sweetcrude: 07-16-2007 at 10:25 PM.
sweetcrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 01:56 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
In the playoffs Lupul was with Marchant (speed, defense, forechecking) and Penner (forechecking, playmaking).

During the year I believe he played with Marchant and Hedstrom, who left the team near the beginning of the playoffs.

A lot of his production was from the powerplay though.

Martin: Hartnell, Richards, Lupul was what I was thinking might work. As to Carter, as long as he will do the forechecking, can handle the puck, and passes it when Lupul is open, it could work, even if his first thought is to shoot.

Last edited by snarktacular: 07-16-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old
07-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Lupul knows how to get open because he is so awesome at avoiding traffic, in the slot, on the boards, in the crease. The guy just avoids contact.

And just because he's open doesn't mean he's open in a useful way - he just finds a place where defenders aren't, and goes there. He has an innate sense of anticipation in terms of where players are going to go, but he doesn't really recognize or concern himself with whether or not that matters in every situation, which is why he's useless 80% of the time.

Lupul not only needs a center that can get him the puck, but he also needs linemates that can make him feel brave. He's not a courageous hockey player, and that contributes to his lack of effectiveness. If there are linemates out there who can find him with deft passes, demonstrate to him where he can be most effective on the ice, and provide a sense of safety for him, then he can be a very high-scoring sniper. There's a lot of Ray Sheppard in him. A consistent goal-scorer that got bounced around because he only really brought one thing to the table, and that one thing was something that had to be coaxed out of him.

But don't take my word for it. I hate Lupul.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 02:07 PM
FuTMaR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeMoZ View Post
it's his work ethic that is the problem.
I guess him being in California working out 5 times a week with Chad Moreau is just feeding his horrible work ethic.

FuTMaR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 02:34 PM
arinkrat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuTMaR View Post
I guess him being in California working out 5 times a week with Chad Moreau is just feeding his horrible work ethic.
Work ethic on the ice. But I guess a Kings fan would know better than Ducks fans.

arinkrat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 02:35 PM
FuTMaR*

Heh if you wanna bring that into it be an idiot by yourself.

Old
07-16-2007, 02:37 PM
arinkrat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuTMaR View Post
Heh if you wanna bring that into it be an idiot by yourself.
You're doing fine all by your lonesome. What would a Ducks fan know about Lupul's work ethic after watching him actually play for two seasons rather than hanging out in the gym with him?

arinkrat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 02:52 PM
FuTMaR*

Maybe its the fact that he's working out with Edmontons Pysical trainer 5 times a week in the off season. Christ i come in here to add to the conversation and you bring ducks fans down a notch. Congratulations.