HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prucha or Callahan??

View Poll Results: Prucha or Callahan? - 2nd line minutes
Prucha 59 60.82%
Callahan 31 31.96%
Other/Neither 7 7.22%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-16-2007, 09:45 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Prucha or Callahan??

I know there are a few threads popping up about certain players but I was interested to see what everyoens thoughts were on this one.

We can persuade each other as to why one has earned the minutes, or fits better with the linemates or generally fits the mold of a second or third line player.

But I think these two are close. Both can put the puck in the net, are tenacious as hell and can adapt to situations pretty well.

Who do you want getting top minutes?

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-16-2007 at 10:05 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 09:47 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I know there are a few threads popping up about certain players but I was interested to see what everyoens thoughts were on this one.

We can persuade each other as to why one has earned the minutes, or fits better with the linemates or generally fits the mold of a second or third line player.

But I think these two are close. Both can put the puck in the net, are tenacious as hell and can adapt to situations pretty well.

Who do you want on the second line?
Prucha because he is a known quantity. He has gauaranteed us 22+ goals/year.
Callahan on the 3rd line for a year wont hurt his development, they can control his minutes and teach him more that way.

If he carries on progressing in after a full year on the 3rd which i expect him to do, then the 2nd line spot is his for the taking in 08/09.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 09:48 AM
CaptainBlueshirt

Quote:

Who do you want on the second line?
Neither
Put them on the 3rd line together with Cullen or whoever if Cullen gets traded. They played together a few times last year and had good chemistry.

1st- Gomez-Jagr-Straka
2nd- Drury-Shanny-Avery

CaptainBlueshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 09:50 AM
dkich96

It depends on who is playing on the second line. Prucha didn't mesh well with Shanny last year.

dkich96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 09:50 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I should have put neither... forgot that option.

Old
07-16-2007, 09:52 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
At that point, it's positional - Prucha is LW, while Callahan is RW, behind Jagr and Shanahan on the depth chart.

If Marcel goes unsigned, Prucha would figure as 2nd LW by default.

All in all, I've begun to think Callahan has better upside and better tools.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
At that point, it's positional - Prucha is LW, while Callahan is RW, behind Jagr and Shanahan on the depth chart.

If Marcel goes unsigned, Prucha would figure as 2nd LW by default.

All in all, I've begun to think Callahan has better upside and better tools.
Neither. If I had to chose one it would definetely be PRUCHA because of his scoring..But, I think right now both Hossa and Avery (as well as Straka, Shanny,Gomez, Drury, Jagr) fit better on the top two lines then these guys..And one of them will be a thid liner to boot.

Prucha needs to get more consistent all around and Cally, while I love his hustle and style, needs to prove he can produce on the NHL level before earning a 2nd line spot. Maybe all this hapopens in camp but right now I see Cally and Prucha fighting for the 3rd/4th line spot...Unless the Rangers walk away from a Hossa arbitration..or if there is a trade of a forward

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Fireonk

Im not sure why we are assuming Drury as 2nd line center. I think Prucha will work better with Gomez and Callahan will work better with Drury. But thats all speculation until they actually get on the ice.

Fireonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 10:02 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Neither. If I had to chose one it would definetely be PRUCHA because of his scoring..But, I think right now both Hossa and Avery (as well as Straka, Shanny,Gomez, Drury, Jagr) fit better on the top two lines then these guys..And one of them will be a thid liner to boot.

Prucha needs to get more consistent all around and Cally, while I love his hustle and style, needs to prove he can produce on the NHL level before earning a 2nd line spot. Maybe all this hapopens in camp but right now I see Cally and Prucha fighting for the 3rd/4th line spot...Unless the Rangers walk away from a Hossa arbitration..or if there is a trade of a forward
Prucha on the 4th line? unlikely.

Due to positions i think he'll get the 2nd line spot. If he cant force his way into the top 3 lines then i start to think he's gone but they wouldn't think he cant do it and then sign him for 3.2m/2 years would they? and consistency? surely an average of 26 goals per year is pretty good on little ice time. If they trust him with better lien mates and more ice time im confident he'll deliver.

Old
07-16-2007, 10:05 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

We could all give our two cents about where Drury and Gomez are going to wind up and line combinations, but the purpose this poll for me was to argue which of these two players should get top minutes.

We already have enough line combo threads.

I wanted to get a little more specific.

I voted Callahan - I think hes going to have a productive year and is the type of player that will thrive with more minutes. - Not to say Prucha wouldn't but theres another issue.

If i had to chose between Cally and Prucha on the PP it would easily be Prucha. I just think it balances out better with Prucha on the third and getting top PP minutes - and as i've said before i think Renney and the staff keep in the back of their heads (as i do) that a guy like Prucha will burn himself out with top minutes with his style of play come the end of the season.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-16-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old
07-16-2007, 10:08 AM
cesk

Neither, Avery will find his way there. Prucha is better suited for third line minutes + PP. But if I had to choose, I would take my chance with Callahan, who I think would be more durable than Prucha.

cesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 10:12 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesk View Post
Neither, Avery will find his way there. Prucha is better suited for third line minutes + PP. But if I had to choose, I would take my chance with Callahan, who I think would be more durable than Prucha.
And its possible Avery might find his way there simply to vindicate a generous contract he'll find himself with.

Old
07-16-2007, 10:13 AM
zestystrat

I don't think you put Avery on the 2nd line. We need someone who can finish.

He played on the 2nd line last year b/c we didn't have enough depth to put him where he'd be the most effective, on the 3rd line.

I think thats where you'll see him this year.

Getting back on topic - See how Pru does. His numbers have warrented the first look at that sopt.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
Prucha on the 4th line? unlikely.

Due to positions i think he'll get the 2nd line spot. If he cant force his way into the top 3 lines then i start to think he's gone but they wouldn't think he cant do it and then sign him for 3.2m/2 years would they? and consistency? surely an average of 26 goals per year is pretty good on little ice time. If they trust him with better lien mates and more ice time im confident he'll deliver.
Why, he was a 4th liner at times last year (and sometimes deserving so) and we have even more weapons now...As for Pruchas "consistency" please note that I was talking about his all around game not his scoring..The kid is a scorer..

Hey, I hope Prucha earns a 2nd spot, But I think both Straka and Hossa would work work better with Jagr and Prucha is not a fit for the same line with Shanny (2 snipers).and either Strake or Avery would be a better fit with Shanny/Drury (my guess)....I see Prucha on a 3rd line (along with the likes of Cullen, Hossa, Avery or even Straka) and there's no reason that line can't get alot of ice time and be succesful, with Prucha being a main component..

But, hey, that's what camp is for..And there still might be a trade or two

Old
07-16-2007, 10:20 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Why, he was a 4th liner at times last year (and sometimes deserving so) and we have even more weapons now...As for Pruchas "consistency" please note that I was talking about his all around game not his scoring..The kid is a scorer..

Hey, I hope Prucha earns a 2nd spot, But I think both Straka and Hossa would work work better with Jagr and Prucha is not a fit for the same line with Shanny (2 snipers).and either Strake or Avery would be a better fit with Shanny/Drury (my guess)....I see Prucha on a 3rd line (along with the likes of Cullen, Hossa, Avery or even Straka) and there's no reason that line can't get alot of ice time and be succesful, with Prucha being a main component..

ok, i'll conced his game not his scoring needs rounding out! I think he can be a real weapon if used properly and to be honest if we 'had to settle' for a 3rd line of Prucha - Cullen - Callahan i'd be delighted. In some time last year that looked good together plus they have more space this year after teams tire of defending against our top 2 lines!!! i think Prucha AND Callahan can break 20 goals this year (call me an optimist!) but if i had a straight choice i'd choose Prucha.

Old
07-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
I voted Callahan - I think hes going to have a productive year and is the type of player that will thrive with more minutes. - Not to say Prucha wouldn't but theres another issue.

If i had to chose between Cally and Prucha on the PP it would easily be Prucha. I just think it balances out better with Prucha on the third and getting top PP minutes - and as i've said before i think Renney and the staff keep in the back of their heads (as i do) that a guy like Prucha will burn himself out with top minutes with his style of play come the end of the season.
I really like the player and his style but, Seriosuly, what has Callahan done to earn a major spot on the second line of a loaded team? You don't get that spot based on potential...If he produces on the 3rd or 4th line (which he has yet to do on the nHL level) maybe he works himslef up to such a spot..

One may question where the likes of Prucha, Avery, Hossa, Straka etc.. are best suited but no way do I see Callahan on anything higher then a 3rd line to start the season..

Old
07-16-2007, 10:28 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
I really like the player and his style but, Seriosuly, what has Callahan done to earn a major spot on the second line of a loaded team? You don't get that spot based on potential...If he produces on the 3rd or 4th line (which he has yet to do on the nHL level) maybe he works himslef up to such a spot..

One may question where the likes of Prucha, Avery, Hossa, Straka etc.. are best suited but no way do I see Callahan on anything higher then a 3rd line to start the season..
HEs really done nothing youre right.

I just like having one rookie up top to deepen out the lines and keep that fire going in the team.

I just have a feeling it would work.

Old
07-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Fletch

Larry...

If Prucha's not going to play on the top two lines, I hope the Rangers find somewhere to ship him before his value drops. He simply did not perform well with Cullen throughout the season (at times, it looked good, but the line, and Prucha especially, had trouble scoring, which it needs to do). Further, what's going to happen to Prucha's playing time on the PP? Personally, I think the lack of top PP time early in the season was a contributing factor to Prucha's slow scoring start and I can see that happening again, and then what are you left with? A smallish forward who will get you 15-20 goals at the top-end (he got 20 playing a full season and came on late when he got his top PP unit position back).

Further, with Jagr, Hossa, Shanny, Avery, Straka, Callahan and Prucha on the wings, there will need to be some movement and Prucha is one who may be the easiest to trade and may return the most (of course, the Rangers cannot afford to take anything back, so Straka may make more sense - we shall see - there are so many ways this can be sliced).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:

I agree with a lot of this. Prucha and Shanahan are too similar to work well together. Both are finishers who are best with a playmaker. Also, having both together would be a big defensive strain on whichever center is with them. It seems like the RW and C on the top 2 lines are supposed to be the main offensive cogs while the LW is a defensive conscience. I think Straka and Avery will slot in ahead of Prucha because they complement their linemates better.

That said, I voted for Prucha because he's more of a 2nd liner than Callahan is.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
If Prucha's not going to play on the top two lines, I hope the Rangers find somewhere to ship him before his value drops. He simply did not perform well with Cullen throughout the season (at times, it looked good, but the line, and Prucha especially, had trouble scoring, which it needs to do). Further, what's going to happen to Prucha's playing time on the PP? Personally, I think the lack of top PP time early in the season was a contributing factor to Prucha's slow scoring start and I can see that happening again, and then what are you left with? A smallish forward who will get you 15-20 goals at the top-end (he got 20 playing a full season and came on late when he got his top PP unit position back).

Further, with Jagr, Hossa, Shanny, Avery, Straka, Callahan and Prucha on the wings, there will need to be some movement and Prucha is one who may be the easiest to trade and may return the most (of course, the Rangers cannot afford to take anything back, so Straka may make more sense - we shall see - there are so many ways this can be sliced).
I agree with almost all of that Fletch..I still think Prucha as a 3rd liner (with the right line mates) could give us something really good...But you are right to wonder if we have a right fit for him--I don't have an answer..But with all the quality forwards, maybe it can be discovered in camp....

Also agree, and have always said, that with the likes or Cally, maybe Dawes, Bouret coming up that Prucha and his scoring would be a very valuable BUT REPLACEABLE
trading chip that we could use to get soemthing we really need (maybe a steady, physical D-man?)....All this being said, I'm in no rush to make such a deal..

Old
07-16-2007, 10:39 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I should have put neither... forgot that option.
I'll add it.

07-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
HEs really done nothing youre right.

I just like having one rookie up top to deepen out the lines and keep that fire going in the team.

I just have a feeling it would work.
I like playing rooks too and Cally MIGHT work up there, just want the kids AND the vets to earn their spots..And I've always been one for gradually working in and moving up the kids..

Old
07-16-2007, 10:44 AM
cesk

Quote:
And its possible Avery might find his way there simply to vindicate a generous contract he'll find himself with.
Indeed.
The more I think about it, the more I would like to see what Callahan could do on a line with Drury and Shanahan.

cesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 10:48 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

I was waiting for someone to bring this up which is exactly why i started this thread. Is Prucha's value going to diminish? Would it be better suited to trade him for a solid defensman while his value is high and he has a pretty favorable contract going the other way?

Is Callahan his replacement?

Old
07-16-2007, 10:52 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'll add it.
Thanks SBOB.