HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All things Peca (merged)

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2007, 09:32 PM
FmmF3*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Great_1 View Post
Yeah that was it but I had it a bit later probably because time is just flying by these days.
He also did it to Rucinsky at the Messier jersey game.

Old
07-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

supposedly this is looking more and more likely, at least according to another poster on one of the boards i visit.

not saying its a definite, not even gonna call it a rumor. but simply from a "does it make sense" standpoint, you have to believe there is some serious interest on both sides here.

Old
07-19-2007, 03:04 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
supposedly this is looking more and more likely, at least according to another poster on one of the boards i visit.

not saying its a definite, not even gonna call it a rumor. but simply from a "does it make sense" standpoint, you have to believe there is some serious interest on both sides here.
Yes, it does "make sense". The quotations make it look kinda taboo or something. And to me this is Sather type move.

Was Sather ever interested in Peca years back? I have an inkling memory that there were rumors or suggestions during Pecas career that Sather wanted him either here or in Edmonton.

I could be wrong, but i remember something.

Old
07-19-2007, 06:02 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Rangers were supposedly in the mix for Peca when Buffalo finally moved him. They refused to give up Brendl and Lundmark. Sigh....

Old
07-20-2007, 03:16 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

no rhyme or reason here, but i think peca is going to sign somewhere in the next 72 hours. just seems like its about time the 2nd tier guys start to sign.

Old
07-20-2007, 09:54 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
I want it to happen,” Peca said Thursday from his East Amherst home. “I do have a couple of options right now that are pretty exciting, but Buffalo has always been at the top of my list.”
But the Sabres aren't interested

Quote:
Peca said he has some attractive options. The New York Rangers are believed to be in pursuit. Carolina Hurricanes coach Peter Laviolette, who had Peca with the New York Islanders, called frequently before the Hurricanes swung a deal with the Rangers to bring back Matt Cullen.
Quote:
Peca’s injury could improve his appeal in at least one regard: His contract would be a low-stakes gamble.

Because he has played more than 400 career games and was on injured reserve last season for more than 100 days, he’s eligible for a bonus-driven contract under Article 50.2 of the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement. Bonuses don’t count toward the salary cap.

“In these types of situations, the CBA does what it is supposed to do,” Regier said. “It gives the player an opportunity to prove what he can do and not put all the risk on the club.”
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/123243.html

The Rangers already have $3 million in potential bonuses.$2.8 million for Shanahan and $200,000 for Girardi.7.5% over the cap can be applied to the 08-09 cap if the Rangers don't have room this season.$50.3 million cap times 7.5% is $3.7725 million

Old
07-20-2007, 10:00 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Good links as always Ranger Boy.

Not sure if they want to give out more bonuses, but if its a one year deal and its not much ill take it because hell probably get hurt anyway and we'll see Dubi up.

Old
07-20-2007, 11:50 AM
JR#9*

I still think Peca on a one yr deal at 2 million or under would be a great addition to this years NYR's.

Dubinsky is the only other option and I just don't think he makes the jump this year on a team who's goal is to win now and I think he'll be better served getting a ton of minutes in the AHL again.

Peca on the other hand addresses quite a few shortcomings most noteable some grit and sandpaper amoung the top 9 and a true center that can go against the other teams top line as a shutdown guy.

He along with Avery and Callahan would be an ideal 3rd line in the eastern conf.

I hope they land him as opposed to the other alternatives.

Old
07-20-2007, 11:54 AM
bubba5

what are the injuries that he has had over the last couple of years? If he can stay relatively injury free for us, and we can get him for under 2 mil., he would be a good 3rd center for us. he is a good faceoff guy also.

Old
07-20-2007, 11:55 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
I still think Peca on a one yr deal at 2 million or under would be a great addition to this years NYR's.

Dubinsky is the only other option and I just don't think he makes the jump this year on a team who's goal is to win now and I think he'll be better served getting a ton of minutes in the AHL again.

Peca on the other hand addresses quite a few shortcomings most noteable some grit and sandpaper amoung the top 9 and a true center that can go against the other teams top line as a shutdown guy.

He along with Avery and Callahan would be an ideal 3rd line in the eastern conf.

I have to agree with respect to all the FA out there unless theres another available through trade.

Avery- Peca - Callahan would be a line to be reckoned with. Seriously.

And i would feel very comfortable in games vs. Pittsburgh and the Flyers on the road. If Pecas on top of his game he would fit nicley on this team in guarding against the Crosby's and Briere's. Of course theyll get their points but having Dubinsky there might not be what this team needs on the 3rd line in a tough division.

Old
07-20-2007, 03:45 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Hold on a second

Why would Peca be interested in playing for Buffalo when he held out for an ENTIRE season in 2000-01 and subsequently bad-mouthed the franchise publicly swaying Adrian Acouin to sign with Chicago instead?

No wonder Buffalo isnt interested. I think you could cross them off the list.

Old
07-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Why would Peca be interested in playing for Buffalo when he held out for an ENTIRE season in 2000-01 and subsequently bad-mouthed the franchise publicly swaying Adrian Acouin to sign with Chicago instead?

No wonder Buffalo isnt interested. I think you could cross them off the list.
Not certain, but I think Peca's problems are/were with the previous owners who ar now gone...SOunds like he wants to play in Buff (where he has a home) but Buff doesn't want him...

As for Peca to the Rangers, I think it is a deceent possibility for Sather ...I wouldn't sign him because of his injury history and because he wants to be a Sabre, but I won't hate the move either IF it's a low risk 1 year contract...I can see Sather doing it IF the RANGERS are against moving Straka or Avery to C (that would be my choice)...My bet is if that's the case, they will will do a low/mid level vet signing before giving Dubinsky or another rook a shot early in the season..

Old
07-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Ola

When we traded Cullen I expected someone cheaper to be signed right away. I am a bit suprised that nobody is signed. Are we really gooing with Dubinsky or Anisimov?

Maybe we are waiting to see what will happend after Avery and Hossas arbitrations.

Old
07-20-2007, 06:06 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Maybe we are waiting to see what will happend after Avery and Hossas arbitrations.
I think that's a big factor before any more deals are made.

Old
07-20-2007, 08:54 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
When we traded Cullen I expected someone cheaper to be signed right away. I am a bit suprised that nobody is signed. Are we really gooing with Dubinsky or Anisimov?

Nah, after watching how long it took the Rangers to come together last year, why should there be any urgency to have a roster completely intact for opening night?

Old
07-21-2007, 06:44 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

Sather is away on a fishing trip.Brian Burke and Harry Sinden are on the trip.Also some other GM's(Peter Chiarelli and Dave Nonis just to name two)are on a fishing trip.Could the same fishing trip in Alaska

Last edited by RangerBoy: 07-21-2007 at 06:49 AM.
Old
07-21-2007, 06:49 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Peca will make his decision soon

Quote:
"I would like to have something done in the next five days to a week," Peca said. "I've got to consider living arrangements, school arrangements for the kids, things like that"
Quote:
But while the Leafs grapple with salary-cap issues, Peca admits receiving a handful of offers, including a lucrative one that caught him by surprise.

"When you are presented with options that are so exciting, you have to very much consider them
."
http://torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/...56708-sun.html

Is the lucrative offer from Nashville?That guy Eklund(he was in Nashville for the ticket drive on Thursday)wrote Nashville is interested in Peca.Considering the financial state of the Preds,maybe Peca didn't think Nashville would make such an offer

Old
07-21-2007, 06:50 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Is the lucrative offer from Nashville?That guy Eklund(he was in Nashville for the ticket drive on Thursday)wrote Nashville is interested in Peca.Considering the financial state of the Preds,maybe Peca didn't think Nashville would make such an offer
Nashville got Bonk recently, who's turned into an excellent defensive/shutdown center and his offense seems to have vanished.... So makes very little sense in the Preds going after Peca, IMO.

Old
07-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Captain11

Either way, dubinksy will be our 3rd line center by the end of the year. There's just no way Peca stays healthy the whole season.

Old
07-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post

Slats lands Peca and that line becomes a reality, I may just join your fanbase.

For a lot of reasons, seems like a superb fit for NYR team this upcoming season, assuming that his knee checks out.

For those concerned with his individual offensive stats - Mike Peca does not cut it for the fantasy team. He does for the NHL team, where preventing goals is a real concept. Try to remember waaaaaaay back to his stellar play in the '06 post-season. Ask a Leaf's fan about his value defensively as recent as last December. Then put two and two together.

To come out of this Conference you need both firepower (Drury, Gomez) and defense in the pivot. Otherwise, Spezza, Crosby, Malkin, Lecavalier, Richards, Briere, Sundin and the like will eat you alive. Peca lines up against each of those players. End of story.

Last edited by Trottier: 07-21-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old
07-21-2007, 04:37 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post

For a lot of reasons, seems like a superb fit for NYR team this upcoming season, assuming that his knee checks out.

For those concerned with his individual offensive stats - Mike Peca does not cut it for the fantasy team. He does for the NHL team, where preventing goals is a real concept. Try to remember waaaaaaay back to his stellar play in the '06 post-season. Ask a Leaf's fan about his value defensively as recent as last December. Then put two and two together.

To come out of this Conference you need both firepower (Drury, Gomez) and defense in the pivot. Otherwise, Spezza, Crosby, Malkin, Lecavalier, Richards, Briere, Sundin and the like will eat you alive. Peca lines up against each of those players. End of story.
Far and away the best point anyone has made in regards to this whole situation.

The Peca haters don't understand that he's still an excellent shutdown center, despite losing his offensive edge. But he's still a playmaker before being a goal scorer, and him setting up Avery and Callahan, he could get points, and that line would be a real pain in the ass to play against. You need a line that can shut down the opposition's top line, and with Peca, that line would be VERY FOMIDABLE. That is the reason why the Rangers haven't been that great since 97... the lack of a true shutdown line.

Old
07-21-2007, 05:17 PM
gers*

someone on the sabres board says he talked to peca in person and that he is close to signing with the rangers.

Old
07-21-2007, 05:38 PM
shoothepuck

If Sather can get him for 1 year, at under 2 mil., He's great on D and face-offs, and as others have posted, he can line up against any top guys. Health is the issue, but if it's bonus based, why not?

Old
07-21-2007, 05:42 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Always room for you on this side of the pond, Trotts........

Old
07-21-2007, 05:49 PM
JRyan154

Peca Likely to Sign with Rangers

Sabres fan here. I work in Buffalo at the country club Peca belongs to. He was out today for a parent/child tournament (adorable, I know) and he told our assistant pro (who is my cousin) that he is likely to sign with you guys. Take it for what it's worth, but that is what he said.

Oh, and on a side not, I had never really heard the guy talk that much, but when I was cleaning his clubs today, I was trying to create some small talk and what not. The guy has the personality of a paintbrush. I mean he struggled to get 2 words out. I don't know what he's like on the ice, but I have a hard time believing he is that great of a leader. Maybe he is different on the ice for all I know. We all know he can play and has loads of talent when healthy, but I'm not too sure about how he is otherwise. Not to say you really need it w/ Drury now ( you stole him from us! ), but just thought I'd throw that out there. Have a good summer, and good luck next year.

Closed Thread