HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

All things Peca (merged)

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2007, 04:52 PM
rodmunch

vCash: 500
I dont know if you're lying or not, but I guess you might not be lying since it has been rumoured that Sather has gone after him, and with Cullen dumped...

Old
07-21-2007, 05:01 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRyan154 View Post
Sabres fan here. I work in Buffalo at the country club Peca belongs to. He was out today for a parent/child tournament (adorable, I know) and he told our assistant pro (who is my cousin) that he is likely to sign with you guys. Take it for what it's worth, but that is what he said.

Oh, and on a side not, I had never really heard the guy talk that much, but when I was cleaning his clubs today, I was trying to create some small talk and what not. The guy has the personality of a paintbrush. I mean he struggled to get 2 words out. I don't know what he's like on the ice, but I have a hard time believing he is that great of a leader. Maybe he is different on the ice for all I know. We all know he can play and has loads of talent when healthy, but I'm not too sure about how he is otherwise. Not to say you really need it w/ Drury now ( you stole him from us! ), but just thought I'd throw that out there. Have a good summer, and good luck next year.
happily taken

Old
07-21-2007, 05:33 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Interesting. How's the knee?

Old
07-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
I loved Peca as an Islander, but he has not been the same player since the knee injury. However, he can still be very effective on the PK. I was hoping the Islanders would sign him again - it'd be a good signing for you guys, depending on the cost.

Old
07-21-2007, 05:39 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

When he gets injured Dubinsky will get his chance....

I just hope he's healthy for the playoffs if we sign him.

Old
07-21-2007, 05:41 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i wished they'd sign Avery & Hossa first...

Old
07-21-2007, 06:04 PM
ArtieAnisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
i wished they'd sign Avery & Hossa first...
Well, maybe just Avery first

Old
07-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Balej20*

Why can't they just sign Avery and avoid this arbitration. Nothing good could come out of that.

Old
07-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Hockey MD

Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
Would like Peca signed for a cheap price as long as Avery is signed too.

Old
07-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

again, its just one of those things that makes too much sense not too happen.

Old
07-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Slats lands Peca and that line becomes a reality, I may just join your fanbase.

For a lot of reasons, seems like a superb fit for NYR team this upcoming season, assuming that his knee checks out.

For those concerned with his individual offensive stats - Mike Peca does not cut it for the fantasy team. He does for the NHL team, where preventing goals is a real concept. Try to remember waaaaaaay back to his stellar play in the '06 post-season. Ask a Leaf's fan about his value defensively as recent as last December. Then put two and two together.

To come out of this Conference you need both firepower (Drury, Gomez) and defense in the pivot. Otherwise, Spezza, Crosby, Malkin, Lecavalier, Richards, Briere, Sundin and the like will eat you alive. Peca lines up against each of those players. End of story.
excellent, unbiased, thoughtful post. well done.

Old
07-21-2007, 07:48 PM
alkurtz

Totally disagree. I have no use for Peca or any other older veteran on the downside of their career. Would much prefer to see Dubinsky in the spot. Will be very disappointed if he sign this has been. Why did we trade Cullen to clear cap room to sign Avery and Hossa and still give us wiggle room during the season if we need to go out and make a trade and then turn around and sign a free agent like Peca? Repeat: we don't need this guy.

Old
07-21-2007, 08:02 PM
bagh

Aside from Dubinski and Peca, what other options do we have?

Old
07-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagh View Post
Aside from Dubinski and Peca, what other options do we have?
Straka, Avery, and Anisimov. you could also, theoretically, put betts in there, and play hollweg as 4th line center.

still though, id rank the choices..

1)Peca
2)Dubinsky
3)Straka
4)Avery
5)Anisimov
6/worst case scenario)Betts

Old
07-21-2007, 08:13 PM
alkurtz

Except we are in an era where we don't usually (the Ducks are an exception) see the third line playing against the first. Its usually 1X1, 2X2, 3X3. Even if its the end of a tight defensive game, I'd have zippo confidence in Peca versus any of the top centers in the East. The Peca of 5 years ago yes; today's Peca, no. You guys are deluding yourself into thinking that Peca can match up in any shape and form with Crosby, Sundin, etc. The only guarantee with Peca is that we will miss a significant part of the season with assorted injuries. Much rather groom Dubinsky for the role of #3 center and play Betts in big spots near the end. Betts doesn't excite me against other top flight centers either. I'm sure at games end we'll see Drury out there. I have no use for Peca: his day has come and gone.

Old
07-21-2007, 08:51 PM
rodmunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Totally disagree. I have no use for Peca or any other older veteran on the downside of their career. Would much prefer to see Dubinsky in the spot. Will be very disappointed if he sign this has been. Why did we trade Cullen to clear cap room to sign Avery and Hossa and still give us wiggle room during the season if we need to go out and make a trade and then turn around and sign a free agent like Peca? Repeat: we don't need this guy.
And you seem to be certein that Dubinsky is ready. What if he isnt? His play from last year, while very promising toward the end of the year, showed that he still might need more time to develop. I want to see him go a full year of being a top scorer in the AHL before we bring him up full-time.

While I am also somewhat skeptical of how good Peca is and what he has left, I would rather have him on the third line rather then an unready Dubinsky

Old
07-21-2007, 09:20 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Except we are in an era where we don't usually (the Ducks are an exception) see the third line playing against the first. Its usually 1X1, 2X2, 3X3. Even if its the end of a tight defensive game, I'd have zippo confidence in Peca versus any of the top centers in the East. The Peca of 5 years ago yes; today's Peca, no. You guys are deluding yourself into thinking that Peca can match up in any shape and form with Crosby, Sundin, etc. The only guarantee with Peca is that we will miss a significant part of the season with assorted injuries. Much rather groom Dubinsky for the role of #3 center and play Betts in big spots near the end. Betts doesn't excite me against other top flight centers either. I'm sure at games end we'll see Drury out there. I have no use for Peca: his day has come and gone.
Since you are so certain that Peca will be injured half the time, that sounds like a PERFECT way to break in Dubinsky.

I am for the Peca signing. I think he is still an excellent shut-down center and thats what the 3rd line needs. You said that people don't use 3rd lines as shut down lines anymore except the Ducks.Well, duh. They won the cup.

I loved Cullen but he was not a rugged center. He was more flash and speed. I would have liked to have a more rugged player in the 2nd round. The Ducks were mean and rugged and skilled and they won with it. We can do the same with Peca and still groom Dubi (who really hasn't shown he can be at 3rd line shut down center at all yet).

Old
07-22-2007, 07:40 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Michael Peca's best offer in free agency has come from the New York Islanders, but the truth is the veteran's preference is to play in Buffalo or Toronto
http://torontosun.com/Sports/Columni...59099-sun.html

Slats should be back in New York this week.He attended John Ferguson's memorial service yesterday in Windsor along with Brian Burke and Harry Sinden after their fishing trip

Old
07-22-2007, 08:32 AM
alkurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Since you are so certain that Peca will be injured half the time, that sounds like a PERFECT way to break in Dubinsky.

I am for the Peca signing. I think he is still an excellent shut-down center and thats what the 3rd line needs. You said that people don't use 3rd lines as shut down lines anymore except the Ducks.Well, duh. They won the cup.

I loved Cullen but he was not a rugged center. He was more flash and speed. I would have liked to have a more rugged player in the 2nd round. The Ducks were mean and rugged and skilled and they won with it. We can do the same with Peca and still groom Dubi (who really hasn't shown he can be at 3rd line shut down center at all yet).
Except he is no longer an effective shut down center. Also, given the likely wingers on the 3rd line, we don't have the players who are defensive first shut down wingers. Our model is more Buffalo than Anaheim.....offensive talent throughout the top 3 lines. Our third line will not be a defensive first line. I have no philosophical argument with a dedicated, 3rd defensive line, but we don't have the horses to ice one. Who are our 3 top defensive forwards? If Peca was our 3rd line center, the offensive numbers of his potential wingers (Callahan, maybe Avery or Prucha, perhaps Hossa) would fall dramatically. Peca's career arc is on the downside. We're not talking about the excellent center of years ago. I know our options are limited if Dubinsky disappoints, but with the salary cap and the fact that Gomez and Drury will be earning their well deserved big bucks, we are in the position that many other teams are in: they are forced to go with younger, cheaper players in key spots. This is the cap at work: you can't have a star at every position. I don't want to end up resorting to Straka or Avery at center (neither is effective there), but we must leave some room to make trades during the year. I don't think we have a choice (cap wise or player wise) to Dubinsky. Peca is not worth it on many, many levels.

Old
07-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

For years the majority of Rangers fans would complain about having too many vets and not enough spots open in camp for a kid to grab...Now the Rangers have dawes, dubinsky, korpedo, and really 4 or 5 other young players that can vie for a 3rd and 4th line spot....what do Rangers fans want? another veteran...

This whole "we have dubinksy so if peca gets hurt blah blah blah" argument is garbage...peca is just another name the fans want to add to the museam of names that played in rangers blue..NOTHING MORE...

Old
07-22-2007, 08:54 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

As long as Peca can skate well enough to cover Crosby i sign him.

I've said it for a while now i think the Rangers are going to get this done. Its a pretty flexible situation if you can get him for one year (and only one year) because if he indeed gets hurt like everyone is suggesting he will you have a contingency plan in Dubinsky or Anisimov.

Some people think hes on the downgrade of his career and thats true. But centering a third line that isnt going to get ridiculous minutes isnt asking all the much. The third line wasnt seeing tremendous amount of time last year anyway and now with Gomez and Drury in the mix you know the top 2 lines are going to see alot of time. Plus Betts and Peca can always switch if you want to try something different.

Constructing a championship team is all about depth. Personally if they could have held onto Cullen It would have provided that depth but if they get Peca i think its an even better fit provided he plays to his potential defensively and on the PK. His open ice hits will stir the Garden. Thats something very few centers in the league do.

Judging by alot of reactions from Leafs fans, including a close friend of mine, they felt that Peca played well enough to come back this year and give it another go. Alot of them want him re-signed. That to me means a lot. Even with the injury factor.

I say we get him. In on this bus, and i think that dude at the golf club was telling the truth. Why would he come over here and just lie like that. (by the way thank you for the info)

Lets Go Rangers!

Old
07-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
As long as Peca can skate well enough to cover Crosby i sign him.

I've said it for a while now i think the Rangers are going to get this done. Its a pretty flexible situation if you can get him for one year (and only one year) because if he indeed gets hurt like everyone is suggesting he will you have a contingency plan in Dubinsky or Anisimov.

Some people think hes on the downgrade of his career and thats true. But centering a third line that isnt going to get ridiculous minutes isnt asking all the much. The third line wasnt seeing tremendous amount of time last year anyway and now with Gomez and Drury in the mix you know the top 2 lines are going to see alot of time. Plus Betts and Peca can always switch if you want to try something different.

Constructing a championship team is all about depth. Personally if they could have held onto Cullen It would have provided that depth but if they get Peca i think its an even better fit provided he plays to his potential.

Judging by alot of reactions from Leafs fans, including a close friend of mine, they felt that Peca played well enough to come back this year and give it another go. Alot of them want him re-signed. That to me means a lot. Even with the injury factor.

I say we get him. In on this bus, and i think that dude at the golf club was telling the truth. Why would he come over here and just lie like that. (by the way thank you for the info)

Lets Go Rangers!
The Rangers role 4 lines...The 3rd line is going to get as much even stength minutes as the other lines..do you think the 1st and 2nd lines are going to get 90 second shifts and the 3rd and 4th line get 30 minute shifts? That doesn't happen...

Peca isn't a NEED..

Old
07-22-2007, 08:59 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
The Rangers role 4 lines...The 3rd line is going to get as much even stength minutes as the other lines..do you think the 1st and 2nd lines are going to get 90 second shifts and the 3rd and 4th line get 30 minute shifts? That doesn't happen...

Peca isn't a NEED..
I think this team NEEDS a defensive 3rd line center. Thats not Dubinsky, Cullen, Straka or Avery IMO.

Old
07-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I think this team NEEDS a defensive 3rd line center. Thats not Dubinsky, Cullen, Straka or Avery IMO.
Why can't Drury go up against the other teams top lines?

Old
07-22-2007, 09:08 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Why can't Drury go up against the other teams top lines?
I think that that is a waste of his talents on the offensive end of the ice.

Yes he's one of those special players that can do both really well, but I believe the Rangers got him moreso because of his abilities at the offensive end of the rink and his ability to score big goals when we need them. Not to prevent opposing teams top lines from scoring.

Closed Thread