Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Is The Wild's Rival or Are You In The Wrong Division

Old
07-17-2007, 12:37 AM
mucker*

vCash: 500
Who Is The Wild's Rival or Are You In The Wrong Division

I'm not a Wild follower, but I almost feel sorry for you guys in that it appears you are in the wrong division.

Out of everybody in your division, the only team not in Canada plays in Denver which is nowhere close to Minneapolis.

I'm wondering

1) Do you feel you are in the wrong division?
-Has there been recent or past complaints about your alignment?

2) Do you have a current rival or not?

3) In the past with the North Stars were you big rivals with Chicago, Detroit, and St. Louis?

Thanks.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 02:08 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Well i can't really answer 1) or 3) since im not from Minnesota and I just became a Wild fan during their expansion years.

But our rivals are Canucks and quickly becoming Anaheim. I think its the Burken disease (i can't get enough of my made-up pun!)

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 02:47 AM
Raistlin1022

Funny thing is, vancouverites never really considered the Wild as rivals. The Oilers and Flames are our traditional rivals.

Raistlin1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 05:41 AM
Chrisd

I wanna see the wild get a rivalry going with the ducks.

Sure we have to step our game and possibly take a playoff series from them, and have some more goonish actions take place from our team/their team.

With burke in the mix, being from minnesota I could see it getting started. Ducks are a team to beat right now, and it would be fun to get something started with them.

Vanouver has never interested me as a rival. Especially now that todd, jarkko and ruutu are out of the mix...I just don't get excited about the swedish kiddies and a aging naslund.

I'd like to see us get a rivalry going with colorado or the ducks in the next 5 years.

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:33 AM
mucker*

Wouldn't you guys prefer to be in the same division and rivals with other mid west teams like Chicago, Detroit, and St. Louis?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:34 AM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewinder View Post
1) Do you feel you are in the wrong division?
-Has there been recent or past complaints about your alignment?

2) Do you have a current rival or not?

3) In the past with the North Stars were you big rivals with Chicago, Detroit, and St. Louis?
It would be awesome if the Wild could move into the Central and renew our old sNorris Division rivalries. I will always hate the Blackhawks, but that rivalry we had is 15 years dead now.

Wild fans hate the Nucks, but, as Raistlin1022 mentioned, its a one-way rivalry. The Fat Pig, the Mouth and the Hair and Brian Burke are now gone. Burke's goon show moved to Anaheim and now with the two playoff losses and the recent addition of the Lazy, Fat Pig (Bertuzzi), I'm definitely feelin' some hate toward Anaheim. Once again, I think it may be one-way.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 01:45 PM
topshelf20

I would love to be a rival of the Blackhawks! That is what would interest me most. Other than that..I figure most people think Vancouver is our rival, although I hate Colorado with a passion. I consider them my (if not the Wild's) rival.

topshelf20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 02:02 PM
State of Hockey

1. Yes, the Wild are in the wrong division. The only reason the Canucks/Wild is cooking is because of the playoffs in 2003, not the regular season. The Wild also has one of the most unfriendly travel schedules as far as distance.

2. Canucks/Wild and Ducks/Wild are the only two that could be considered.

3. I wasn't a hockey fan then, but I always remember the stories of the North Stars rivalries with the Blues and especially the Blackhawks. Hawks/Stars could get nasty at times.

I hope that in the coming years the Wild can get moved back to where they belong.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 2800
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf20 View Post
although I hate Colorado with a passion. I consider them my (if not the Wild's) rival.
From Colorado's perspective there isn't much of a rivalry there. Even as division foes Minnesota ranks last in which teams we get worked up over. Hopefully that can change over time.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Complacent Iggy

I don't really think of the wild as a rival team of the Flames. The big thing in Calgary would be the Oilers and then the Canucks a very close second. I think the Wild should be in the same div. as Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, maybe Colombus. How come Millwaukee doesn't have a team, is hockey not popular there?

Complacent Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Raistlin1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkipper View Post
I don't really think of the wild as a rival team of the Flames. The big thing in Calgary would be the Oilers and then the Canucks a very close second. I think the Wild should be in the same div. as Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, maybe Colombus. How come Millwaukee doesn't have a team, is hockey not popular there?
No disrespect... but what the heck is there in Milwaukee?? Even the chinese ppl avoid there (see their NBA draftee)....and they are all over the world.

The Wild are still fighting their image ingrained into everyone's head that they are strictly a trap team.... for many years they certainly seem to be under Lemaire's tutelage.... but lately they have become entertaining and its going to take some time before they start to draw fans from other cities into their games... as long as this conception remain, no one will consider the wild a "rival". Boogaard can change that in a hurry though, one cheap shot to the head of say Tanguay, or Sedin, or Hemsky.... worse yet, Sakic, and a rivalry is born.

Raistlin1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Pepsi12pac

thing is, you won't ever find Boogaard laying "cheap shots" out on players.

Pepsi12pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 06:35 PM
evilgenius

Send a message via AIM to evilgenius
I really don't think we have a rivalry going yet. There are certain teams I don't like, but that's not necessarily related to the Wild. We have Centre Ice, so I watch a lot of hockey. I don't know that we have been in the league long enough yet, or pissed anyone off enough to get a real rivalry going.

I was 4 when the North Stars left, but my mom and my friend's parents all talk about how they don't like Detroit, St. Louis, and Chicago still.

Hockey is really not big at all in Wisconsin. All they care about there is football, and almost everyone is a Packers fan in some fashion. There are Brewers fans in the southern part of the state, but not as many in the northern part. Hockey? They don't care. Probably because it's so big in MN.

If anyone took a head shot at Sakic, I'D be pissed. I may be a Wild fan, but Sakic is the man. Don't take one at Naslund, Bert will probably still come after you next even if you aren't teammates any more.

evilgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Keetz

Has to be Anaheim! We have yet to beat them in the post season. They are our nemesis in our short history. Along with Dallas because of the bitter history. But the Division rivalry is just good sporting fun to me. The Bitter rivalries Are the Stars and Ducks to me. I revel when we beat those punks.

Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Hecht

I think the closest one in our division is Calgary.

I'd say Dallas would be the other one outside our division.

Hecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Detroit, Nashville and Columbus should be Eastern Confrence to tell the truth.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 08:58 PM
TemplaerDude

As a Canucks fan, I can firmly say I despise your team. Especially Gaborik. I hate that guy.

-MT

TemplaerDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Van and Anaheim are the closest, but I don't think we have one

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:38 PM
evilgenius

Send a message via AIM to evilgenius
I like the division we are in. I like the (usually) competitive atmosphere, I like the Oilers, and I like many players on the Avs, but not the team itself. I like to hate the Shames for multiple reasons. I also like that they play the Canucks a lot, because the more they play a west coast team, the better my chances are of hearing about the game.

evilgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin1022 View Post
Funny thing is, vancouverites never really considered the Wild as rivals. The Oilers and Flames are our traditional rivals.
Funnier thing, before the Grease ***** the bed, Flames and Oilers didn't pay too much attention to Van. Quite weird. Now everyone is a rival, a challenge, a threat to your playoff spot, and eventually the Stanley Cup.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:42 PM
MN_Gopher

I think for it to be a good rivalry the fans have to be able to go to the games. In college hockey i go to the Ralph, the DECC and been to JBUs arena. Football soldier field almost went to Lambeau. I have been to Milawaukee for three series and try and catch all the ones at the dome. We need to be in a conference with Chicago, Columbus, St Louis and Detroit. Dallas would be nice but as we keep growing, i to thihnk of us as not the expansion team. But just another team in the NHL. I do not knoe being in america. But is it hard for candian teams to not considering other canadian teams their rival or any based i nthe states?

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Go_Krog*

i can see the Ducks/wild rivalry from the minnesota pov, but from Anaheim's its not really there. wild are kind of an afterthought.

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 11:35 AM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Krog View Post
i can see the Ducks/wild rivalry from the minnesota pov, but from Anaheim's its not really there. wild are kind of an afterthought.
Yea ... when you're 8-1 against us in the playoffs and only allowing us about 10s goal (5 in one game) over those 9 games, yea ... we're pretty much an afterthought.

Sigh ...

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Wild Bill

The Packers.............................wait! There's is the Bears. UGH!

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Drewcifer

I like the Wild being in the Northwest because there are a lot of passionate hockey fans in the division. To me the old North Stars rivalries are dead and burried, I can't imagine a rivalry with the Blackhawks these days - they've totally lost their fan base since the old days and aren't very good. The only team in the Central I really have any bad feelings for is St Louis.

Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote