HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Lynch recalled

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Spearing47

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Lynch recalled

Oilers have recalled D Doug Lynch

Old
01-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Awesome he deserved this shot.

Old
01-01-2004, 03:05 PM
nineteen79

great news, can't wait to see him play.

Old
01-01-2004, 03:11 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63
Oilers have recalled D Doug Lynch
Excellent. Where did you hear it? Link?

Old
01-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Allan

Goon's info always comes from Bergy - no links. He hasn't been wrong yet, though.

Old
01-01-2004, 03:27 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Goon's info always comes from Bergy - no links. He hasn't been wrong yet, though.
Thanks, Allen. Can anybody remember the last time we pulled a defenceman up to the big club with less than half a season of experience as a pro? We are either a) as thin as we look and in big doo doo or b) in possession of an excellent defensive prospect. I am voting for b as I think they would just have brought back Bergeron unless they thought Lynch had earned this look-see.

Old
01-01-2004, 03:30 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers112
Awesome he deserved this shot.
Just remember what MacT said - if Cross can go whoever he brings up will sit.

Quote:
"Lynch is a possibility and he's even likely," MacTavish said of the lanky redhead, who has tallied 17 points in 32 games with Toronto. "He's been playing pretty well down there.
"We're hoping Cory will be able to play, so whoever comes up, in all likelihood, won't play."
the link

Old
01-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
yeah pretty sure we can trust goon now

Old
01-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Thanks, Allen. Can anybody remember the last time we pulled a defenceman up to the big club with less than half a season of experience as a pro?
Poti came right to the NHL.

Old
01-01-2004, 04:21 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Poti came right to the NHL.
Thank-you, Lowetide. From Boston University I think I remember now so he had to be 22- 23 years old when he made the jump. I don't think Lynch is going to play much or even stay long but it is still something to see so early in his career.

Old
01-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Thank-you, Lowetide. From Boston University I think I remember now so he had to be 22- 23 years old when he made the jump. I don't think Lynch is going to play much or even stay long but it is still something to see so early in his career.
Well it really shows what they think of the guy. He's just a pup, and yet is clearly pretty far up the depth chart.

I wonder if Lynch's step forward and the arrival of Woywitka will change the team's draft strategy. There are tons of solid dmen this summer, but it seems like the depth is pretty good right now.

Old
01-01-2004, 04:45 PM
theoil

Quote:
Well it really shows what they think of the guy. He's just a pup, and yet is clearly pretty far up the depth chart.

I wonder if Lynch's step forward and the arrival of Woywitka will change the team's draft strategy. There are tons of solid dmen this summer, but it seems like the depth is pretty good right now.
Yeah, so I hear. The thing about d-men is that you are usually looking at a long lead time for them to develop so who knows. And I still haven't seen Matt Greene play but from all reports he is going to be a good one as well. With this terrible skid the doom and gloom is pretty deep but I still think that the team is on the right track. We got knocked for a loop by Comrie but when you start analyzing this team position by position we are getting closer than we have been in almost 15 years. A couple of key positions still looking for somebody to fill but the depth is starting to show. I, for one, am hoping that Lowe doesn't do anything rash and sticks to his plan for post 2004.

Old
01-01-2004, 05:00 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Dammit... I gave away all my tickets up until this sunday, and I wanted to see Lynch and Wyo together...

ah well

Old
01-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Yeah, so I hear. The thing about d-men is that you are usually looking at a long lead time for them to develop so who knows. And I still haven't seen Matt Greene play but from all reports he is going to be a good one as well. With this terrible skid the doom and gloom is pretty deep but I still think that the team is on the right track. We got knocked for a loop by Comrie but when you start analyzing this team position by position we are getting closer than we have been in almost 15 years. A couple of key positions still looking for somebody to fill but the depth is starting to show. I, for one, am hoping that Lowe doesn't do anything rash and sticks to his plan for post 2004.
I think this is the healthiest the franchise has been in terms of roster assets since 1990. Seriously. I swear the last 10 years I've been reading about Jason Soules or Chris Hajt or Jason Bonsignore and waiting for them to emerge, and every once in awhile they'd come up with a Ryan Smyth.

But seriously, the 2001 draft was 2.5 years ago and Hemsky has already played 95 games! Lynch is up, even if it's only for a day or so. Plus the overagers, some of whom got the team more draft picks (Markkanen) or usable parts (Pisa for Cross in the Dvorak/Carter deal).

Compare that to the 1990 draft, where we're still waiting for someone to emerge. Someone named Richard Zemlicka is playing for Frieberg of the DEL (?) so there's still hope!

If ever there was a fanbase who could recognize a scouting staff that could tell its ass from a hole in the ground it's us.

Old
01-01-2004, 05:16 PM
theoil

Quote:
I think this is the healthiest the franchise has been in terms of roster assets since 1990. Seriously. I swear the last 10 years I've been reading about Jason Soules or Chris Hajt or Jason Bonsignore and waiting for them to emerge, and every once in awhile they'd come up with a Ryan Smyth.

But seriously, the 2001 draft was 2.5 years ago and Hemsky has already played 95 games! Lynch is up, even if it's only for a day or so. Plus the overagers, some of whom got the team more draft picks (Markkanen) or usable parts (Pisa for Cross in the Dvorak/Carter deal).

Compare that to the 1990 draft, where we're still waiting for someone to emerge. Someone named Richard Zemlicka is playing for Frieberg of the DEL (?) so there's still hope!

If ever there was a fanbase who could recognize a scouting staff that could tell its ass from a hole in the ground it's us.
I'm as unhappy as anybody about the last month of hockey from this team but I agree with you that the future is looking really bright. That is why I think Mizral is just pushing our buttons with all his "Lowe is a terrible GM" rants. The only other explanation would be that Mizral doesn't understand how to build a team at all. Is that possible . I know it takes time for the kids to figure it out but at least we have talent and heart on this team now. Could have used a number one goalie and number one centre the past 20 games or so but .

Old
01-01-2004, 06:13 PM
TheChase

In your opinion, is this look at Lynch because of injuries or because the oil is considering moving Smith?

Old
01-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersRRRock/Kim
In your opinion, is this look at Lynch because of injuries or because the oil is considering moving Smith?
Injuries. The Oilers currently have 5 healthy defensemen. Cross and Smith are currently injured. The problem is the way the media reports injuries.

Calgary's Kriposov (sp?) is injured and it's reported on TSN. Zubrus was injured last night and was reported to be out 2-4 weeks with a broken foot. Jason Smith was injured against the Wild on December 30 and wasn't reported by any media and still hasn't been reported how long he's out.

Jason Smith is out for up to 2 weeks with an ankle injury. Cory Cross is currently injured with back spasms due to a hip flexor. The Oilers are stuck with 5 defensemen.

Last edited by Narnia: 01-01-2004 at 06:27 PM.
Old
01-01-2004, 06:34 PM
TheChase

thankx

Old
01-01-2004, 07:09 PM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Something on Lynch some of you may find interesting...
When he started playing for the Rebels he was a Center. Sutter moved him to D, where he flourished. Just thought that was an interesting tidbit.

Old
01-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:

Reading what you said LT has made it clear to me... you're going to love the next story of mine for HF. (still about a week or so away but right up this alley).

Old
01-01-2004, 08:07 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Its a good sign that's for sure. As I alluded to a while ago, the Oilers seem to always use the Eastern road swing to call up a guy they think needs a shot. If memory serves, Chimera got the looksee a while ago. If history is repeating itself and the Oilers use the mid-term Eastern road swing to peek at guys they think will be ready soon (and I wouldn't be surprised if history DOES show this), this seems like a good sign about Lynch.

Old
01-01-2004, 08:47 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:

The current Edmonton management does indeed deserve props for building its scouting program under Kevin Lowe's regime. K Predergast and staff have done a pretty solid job. However I get abit leery about commentary which places the black hole results of the 1990s solely at the feet of the past Oiler management team and Barry Fraser (who on occasion friviously referred to on this board for this later years Mexican residence).

We shouldn't forget Pendergast and several of the current scouting department were involved in those 1990 draft day decisions. Pendergast himself has been an Oiler employee since 1990-91. Credit where credit is due but the legacy of this scouting department also bears some responsibilities for this team's many draft misses in the 1990s.

Knowlegeable fans will recognize this fact as well.

Old
01-01-2004, 09:00 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
We shouldn't forget Pendergast and several of the current scouting department were involved in those 1990 draft day decisions. Pendergast himself has been an Oiler employee since 1990-91. Credit where credit is due but the legacy of this scouting department also bears some responsibilities for this team's many draft misses in the 1990s.

Knowlegeable fans will recognize this fact as well.
This is why I asked GuyF to try and get Predergast to explain how the drafting table works and whether or not the team keeps track of who wanted to pick who so that 5 years later when all we experts know what they should have done they have a realistic measure of what scout had the best eye at the time.

I don't think you are right that some of the responsibility passes on unless you think they are running a democracy at the table. In order to know who gets the blame and who gets the credit I think you have to know who has the final word. That is why I thing the GM gets too much credit and too much blame because it seems to me that the head scout is the guy who is making the recommendation to the GM based upon what kind of player the GM says he wants. I still don't know that is how it works but that is how it seems to me that it should work.

I have worked in large organizations though and I have to tell you that I accept NO RESPONSIBILITY for decisions that were made because in most cases what I thought had nothing to do with what was decided. Decisions are are made by guys with titles - not first year employees.

Old
01-01-2004, 09:45 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
This is why I asked GuyF to try and get Predergast to explain how the drafting table works and whether or not the team keeps track of who wanted to pick who so that 5 years later when all we experts know what they should have done they have a realistic measure of what scout had the best eye at the time.

I don't think you are right that some of the responsibility passes on unless you think they are running a democracy at the table. In order to know who gets the blame and who gets the credit I think you have to know who has the final word. That is why I thing the GM gets too much credit and too much blame because it seems to me that the head scout is the guy who is making the recommendation to the GM based upon what kind of player the GM says he wants. I still don't know that is how it works but that is how it seems to me that it should work.

I have worked in large organizations though and I have to tell you that I accept NO RESPONSIBILITY for decisions that were made because in most cases what I thought had nothing to do with what was decided. Decisions are are made by guys with titles - not first year employees.
You make many good points Oilwell. The legacy measures would indeed help to evaluate the work of individual scouts. It would be very interesting to learn more about the Oilers past draft rankings. I hope Guy's next article will delve into these efforts.

As far as the decision making process, I would hope the ultimate accountability would rest with those paid to make executive decisions. However whether in hockey or any kind of business I would also hope that informed decision making is done through consultation and inclusion of subordinates. Decisions made in isolation and without the active involvement of worker bees doing the day to day functions - whether scouting or otherwise - is a recipe for disaster. Good management imo takes this approach and with that a shared accountability for results.

I view the Oiler approach much like the much-hyped New Jersey Devils scouting system likely works through effective delegation. Devils super scout David Conte directs player procurement for this team and it is evident that General Manager Lou trust Conte and his staff to make knowledgeable recommendations. I suspect Lowe and Pendergast have a similar trust. All based upon rapport and results.

Strong communications, trust, clearly established roles and responsibility, and ability to delegate are all keys to success. Without it becomes easy to shrug things off 'it's not my fault. I'm not responsible'.

Edit: TheOil, I think your comments actually support what I've been trying to say which is that all of the Oil drafting results good and bad are shared beyond the GM and VP, Hockey Operations. And it seems clear in the promotion over time of Pedergast from scout to VP, Hockey Operations that his contributions have been viewed as successful.

Last edited by Behind Enemy Lines: 01-01-2004 at 10:01 PM.
Old
01-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
It would be very interesting to learn more about the Oilers past draft rankings. I hope Guy's next article will delve into these efforts.

As far as the decision making process, I would hope the ultimate accountability would rest with those paid to make executive decisions. However whether in hockey or any kind of business I would also hope that informed decision making is done through consultation and inclusion of subordinates. Good management imo takes this approach and with that a shared accountability for results.
1st paragraph: Yes I do get into some of the past drafting blunders, more so than I think has been printed before.

2nd: Absolutely covered in the next article.

I think you will all be pleased.

GuyF

Closed Thread