HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fedoruk: Flyers Need an Enforcer

Old
07-17-2007, 09:03 AM
EasyMac

vCash: 500
Fedoruk: Flyers Need an Enforcer

http://www.courierpostonline.com/app...64/1002/SPORTS

Fedoruk mentions how the Flyers could use an enforcer to tak epressure off of Eager. Something most of us agree with.

Article also mentions we took a run at Boogard but were foiled when the Wild took him to arbitration. They mention Simon as another option.

Then they talk about Cote as another option for $ reasons and interview him. Kinda scared of having him on the team when he says he wants to play like Jannsen and Hollweg

Quote:
Cote compared himself to the Devils' Janssen and the Rangers' Ryan Hollweg, who are known for hunting down top-line players and dropping them with big body checks.

"I want to run around hammering everybody I can," Cote said. "My goal is to be more of a pest and run guys like Sidney Crosby and (Alex) Ovechkin and let them come at me. I want guys looking over their shoulders."

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:17 AM
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

I wouldn't mind letting Cote try to prove himself...from the artical, it seems like he's...ummm...dedicated. Besides, we can save some cap room and really just call him up for games where the opponents have a heavyweight (Pens with Laraque, if the Rangers have Orr up, etc.)

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:30 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2539
Brashear told Cote to "Beat it"?

FF97 -- Who played guitar on that song?

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Kaktus*

Flyers should be smart. Sign a guy like Asham.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 09:59 AM
jb**

What about peter worrel. This would be a no risk type move. Tell him to come to camp on a try out basis, he plays well he stays if not they let him go. Cote is not the answer, donít want a punching bag for their enforcer and he states he is a pest eljoy the phantoms, I like how he wants to go after Crosby but the chances of him being on the ice at the same time are as good as my wife putting out on a daily basis. Bring back simon as that would be an excellent move

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:00 AM
BringBackStevens

That quote from Cote is awesome

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:07 AM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
What about peter worrel. This would be a no risk type move. Tell him to come to camp on a try out basis, he plays well he stays if not they let him go. Cote is not the answer, donít want a punching bag for their enforcer and he states he is a pest eljoy the phantoms, I like how he wants to go after Crosby but the chances of him being on the ice at the same time are as good as my wife putting out on a daily basis. Bring back simon as that would be an excellent move

I feel your pain.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:19 AM
TheKingPin

i really liked cote. he has a lot of energy and the commmetns he made is something i like. as long as they arnt a blatant atempt to hurt them i like the idea of hitting the other teas best player.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:46 AM
mikedifr

I wouldnt mind Simon, he can actually play the game fairly well. How much does he fight these days though. I seem to remember a few years ago there being stories about his hands being so beat up he didnt fight much anymore.

Are we looking for a true heavyweight, the size of Simon? Or just someone that will take the fighting responsibilty away from Eager. If the latter, dare I say I agree with Kaktus and get Asham. Reed Low, Tyson Nash are out there. I just want someone that can take a couple shifts per game and not completely embarras themselves.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:50 AM
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I wouldnt mind Simon, he can actually play the game fairly well. How much does he fight these days though. I seem to remember a few years ago there being stories about his hands being so beat up he didnt fight much anymore.
I would mind Simon, because he's got **** for brains.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
"I take it personally when some teams don't have a heavyweight," Fedoruk said. "I'll run around a little extra to let them know you need us."

That explains why he was so chippy when Orr wasn't dressed.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 965
Simon is not a bad player, and I can look past what he did to Hollweg. I don't know if he'll be worth it enough to fit in the cap though.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 11:28 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2539
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Simon is not a bad player, and I can look past what he did to Hollweg. I don't know if he'll be worth it enough to fit in the cap though.
That a key to all this. It's a chess game involving the other teams. I hope Holmgren doesn't feel like he has to use all the remaining cap space and that could play into some opponents' hands.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
I'd like to see a tough guy signed or traded for but he has to be able a regular 4th line shift or I don't want him at all. If it is someone who won't even be dressed come playoffs, I'd pass.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
I'd like to see a tough guy signed or traded for but he has to be able a regular 4th line shift or I don't want him at all. If it is someone who won't even be dressed come playoffs, I'd pass.
That's the problem with Fedoruk now, he can play a regular shift, but he really shouldn't be fighting. To be honest and I could be wrong, but from what I've seen Fedoruk's style of fighting gives fighting a bad name to people who don't understand it. He's all offense and no defense and he'll end up getting seriously hurt after getting scrambled again last year.

I'm a Wings fan and people ***** and moan because we don't have anyone who looks to drop the gloves, let alone an enforcer. But if your system doesn't permit someone who has limited offense and defensive skills and they can't skate the "enforcer" is useless when it counts.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 12:27 PM
chromemaro

I dont think we need an enforcer. But in an ideal situation we could pick up a cheap enforcer and dump gauthier at the same time.(stole idea from a trade proposal)

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 12:35 PM
lancer247

simon doesn't fight much anymore and guys know that so they aren't hindered at all...

cote, have a great season w/ the phantoms...

godard & reed low are the two best available...both know there roles...both won't be a cancer if sent down or scratched...most importantly both can handle any of the bigs in the league...both have wins over brash, laraque, boogey, simon...both would be realitively cheap as well...come playoff time you can scratch them and you have more then enough grit/toughness for the playoffs w/ smith, hartnell, eager, richards, hatcher/gauthier...

if the flyers sign either of those two guys they would immediately be top 3/4 toughest team in the league...rolling out 4 out of 4 lines that have guys that will rub you out and drop 'em...plus defense w/ smith & hatcher/gauthier...

gagne - briere - knuble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiK3uTmZtAY (fooled ya)

hartnell - carter - lupul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzkv7nYuqnM

kapanen - richards - upshall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTmmRjY122Q

eager - umberger - low/godard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkeZC47zs-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uBKJgDqcPs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXag8dZYBB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In57mn_YaF0

timonen - smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV5-42tpJVY

kukonen - hatcher/gauthier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uUXXDZ5GnU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8EtvCe43Bs

coburn - picard (oops)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZMDbSgxlJw

Last edited by lancer247: 07-17-2007 at 12:55 PM.
lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
That's the problem with Fedoruk now, he can play a regular shift, but he really shouldn't be fighting. To be honest and I could be wrong, but from what I've seen Fedoruk's style of fighting gives fighting a bad name to people who don't understand it. He's all offense and no defense and he'll end up getting seriously hurt after getting scrambled again last year.

I'm a Wings fan and people ***** and moan because we don't have anyone who looks to drop the gloves, let alone an enforcer. But if your system doesn't permit someone who has limited offense and defensive skills and they can't skate the "enforcer" is useless when it counts.
Is your avatar from "Snatch?" That's the one movie that keeps coming to mind whenever I see it, but I can't remember vividly enough to be sure. Whenever I see your posts, I can't help but stare at that avatar for a good 2 minutes straight before bugging out or having a seizure... one of my personal favorites on the boards, for sure.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
Is your avatar from "Snatch?" That's the one movie that keeps coming to mind whenever I see it, but I can't remember vividly enough to be sure. Whenever I see your posts, I can't help but stare at that avatar for a good 2 minutes straight before bugging out or having a seizure... one of my personal favorites on the boards, for sure.
Nope, from Rounders: Teddy KGB!

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Ah, Rounders, haven't seen it, but I've heard really nothing but great reviews. Consider it added to the list of movies I must rent this summer.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
"you, always check, check, check . . . ."

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 02:34 PM
martin27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Flyers should be smart. Sign a guy like Asham.
I agree, if we are going with Cote as our enforcer it would be nice to have Asham just incase, plus its not like Cote will be playing loads anyway. Also Simon is close to resigning to Islanders, so we can scratch him off the list soon.

martin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 03:14 PM
EasyMac

My wishlist for enforcers is:

Brain McGrattan (doubt Ottawa would move him)
Derek Boogard (not going to happen)
or nothing - let Cote play the odd game when they feel an enforcer is needed.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 04:22 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Brashear told Cote to "Beat it"?

FF97 -- Who played guitar on that song?
<-------------------- Why, my future hubby, of course. But he didn't play guitar on the entire song, just the solo. He has been quoted as saying that the only reason he agreed to do it was because DLR was on vacation and he figured no one would ever even hear the song, so there was no way Diamond Dave would find out.

As for Cote, I'm loving his quote above. Now let's see if he can put his money where his mouth is. I have no problem watching someone take runs at Syd 8 times per year. If he's going to score 10 pts/game against us, mine as well make him earn it.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Listen, here's the thing: If you can't spot the sucker in your first half-hour at the table, then you are the sucker.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote