HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2004, 04:03 PM
habs1988

vCash: 500
Kovalchuk

According to Rds.ca, AS tried all to get Kovalchuk at the 2001 draft.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chronique...N3FF4BA7A.html

Everybody knows that AS wanted Kovalchuk and he made the best proposal from all the DG.

But now, do you think he can ask BG to make a proposal for Ovechkin ???

Interesting

Old
01-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Rahan

Wow, didn't know that. Pretty interresting.

As for gainey, I hope he trades for Malkin

Old
01-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003
According to Rds.ca, AS tried all to get Kovalchuk at the 2001 draft.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chronique...N3FF4BA7A.html

Everybody knows that AS wanted Kovalchuk and he made the best proposal from all the DG.

But now, do you think he can ask BG to make a proposal for Ovechkin ???

Interesting

There is absolutely no way the team that gets the first pick will let Ovechkin go.

And I just read that article too.. so close, so close yet so far. Getting Crosby will make up for it, though

Old
01-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Nah. Let's wait for Crosby.

Old
01-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Traitor8

The deal offered by Savard (APPARENTLY) was:

Mathieu Garon
7th overall pick(Mike Komisarek)
Andrei Markov
25th overall pick(Alexander Perezhogin)
Richard Zednik

for

1st overall pick(Ilya Kovalchuk)

Apparently, Waddell took a long time and said no....Switch Garon with Theodore and you have a deal.....

Savard said no way, take anything you want off our organization except for Jose Theodore.

A deal never got done. The last minute , before Waddell went up to the podium, he was talking with Savard the whole time. Savard trying to push the trade to happen. Even George Gillette got involved at some point.

They call Alexander Ovechkin, a poor man's Kovalchuk. It would be inetersting to see if Trevor Timmins and Andre Savard tell Bob Gainey to make some sort of an offer for him. I would be happy with Rotislav Olesz.

Old
01-01-2004, 04:19 PM
RE-HABS

There is no way the Pens (my pick to finish last and win the lottery) trade the possibility to draft Ovechkin.

Heck even with Fleury and Ovechkin the Pens would more than likely finish last again next year and get a chance to draft Crosby too.

Thats quite the foundation Fleury, Ovechkin and Crosby to build around...all they would need is a stud Dman is Whitney that man?

I think it would take a sweet offer to the Pens to get that pick, if they are the fortunate team to have it.

Old
01-01-2004, 04:20 PM
Traitor8

Can Andrei Kostsitsyn become the electrifying player that Savard wanted?

Old
01-01-2004, 04:20 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I think Kovalchuk would look really good in the CH. I bet the media would be comparing him to the Rocket for his scoring ability and intensity.

Old
01-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
They call Alexander Ovechkin, a poor man's Kovalchuk.
I think it's the other way around.

Ovechkin is supposed to be a much more complete player in all 3 zones than Kovalchuk, who essentially plays a pure run and gun style. All the scouting reports I've read have reported Ovechkin might become even more dominant just for the fact that he has no flaw (speed, defensive awareness, passing skills, maturity, size, grit, passion, scoring touch...). Still, Crosby is my choice if we have to give away half the team to get such franchise player.

Old
01-01-2004, 04:30 PM
Traitor8

Oh I think ur right.

Maybe it was Nikolai Zherdev that they were talking about.

Let's say the 1st overall pick is today, what offer would you make?

To Pittsbugh(No Goalie traded for them):
Richard Zednik
Marcel Hossa
1st round pick in 2004 or Ron Hainsey
2nd round pick in 2004
2nd round pick in 2005
3 Millions $ Cash
Tomas Plekanec

To Another team(Goalie traded a possibility) :
Mathieu Garon
Marcel Hossa
Richard Zednik
1st round pick in 2004
Ron Hainsey
3rd round pick in 2004 or Tomas Plekanec

What do you guys think?

And what's better for our team in the future...

1-Sidney Crosby?
2-Alex Ovechkin?
or
3-Rotislav Olesz?

Old
01-01-2004, 04:36 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Oh I think ur right.

Maybe it was Nikolai Zherdev that they were talking about.

Let's say the 1st overall pick is today, what offer would you make?

Richard Zednik
Marcel Hossa
2nd round pick in 2004
2nd round pick in 2005
3 Millions $ Cash
Tomas Plekanec

Mathieu Garon
Marcel Hossa
Richard Zednik
1st round pick in 2004
Ron Hainsey

What do you guys think?

And what's better for our team in the future...

1-Sidney Crosby?
2-Alex Ovechkin?
or
3-Rotislav Olesz?
I think trading soooooooooo many kids, picks and cash for one kid sets us back..not ahead.

Plus if it was for Crosby the other team asks for Kommy, Higgins and Perezoghtin as a package...guaranteed. I say too much, sorry. Our package of kids will be better than one player, with either Crosby or Ovechkin you still need to draft around him because you will have many of the good young kids that could have played with him gone in the trade that aqcuired him.

Old
01-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
I think trading soooooooooo many kids, picks and cash for one kid sets us back..not ahead.

Plus if it was for Crosby the other team asks for Kommy, Higgins and Perezoghtin as a package...guaranteed. I say too much, sorry. Our package of kids will be better than one player, with either Crosby or Ovechkin you still need to draft around him because you will have many of the good young kids that could have played with him gone in the trade that aqcuired him.
My Reasoning is around him we would have Balej, Kostsitsyn and Higgins.
While already having Bulis,Ryder,Ribeiro,Sundstrom and Koivu.

Old
01-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Richard Zednik
Marcel Hossa
2nd round pick in 2004
2nd round pick in 2005
3 Millions $ Cash
Tomas Plekanec

Mathieu Garon
Marcel Hossa
Richard Zednik
1st round pick in 2004
Ron Hainsey
You'll have to do much better than that.

For a team to consider giving up on a possible franchise player of that caliber (Ovechkin or Crosby), you'll have to be ready to part with a package that could look like 2 1st rounders in consecutive years, Komisarek, Zednik and possibly Souray.

Also, Garon probably won't be involved considering Pittsburgh will likely be the team to get both 2004 and 2005 1st picks.

Don't expect any team to give up on any of them unless you give up a package of 5-6 premium assets. Guys like Plekanec, Hossa or a mid pick are peanuts that won't even be considered.

The way I see it, I think if Pittsburgh wins the 1st overall the next two years, they'll be more willing to trade Crosby than Ovechkin, as they will already have their superstar in Ovechkin up front and Fleury in the net. At that point, if there's any hope left for them to remain in Pittsburgh, they'll (IMO) be willing to let Crosby go in order to add 4-5 quality players that will make the team instantaniously competitive and bring some fans back in before it's too late for that sinking concession (even though I think it already is).

Old
01-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Habs4Life

Quote:
They call Alexander Ovechkin, a poor man's Kovalchuk. It would be inetersting to see if Trevor Timmins and Andre Savard tell Bob Gainey to make some sort of an offer for him. I would be happy with Rotislav Olesz.
Since when did they call Alexander Ovechkin a poor man's Kovalchuk?
If anything Alexander is expected to be better then Kovalchuk!

Old
01-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Life
Since when did they call Alexander Ovechkin a poor man's Kovalchuk?
If anything Alexander is expected to be better then Kovalchuk!
Geez! I already said I made a mistake, I now remember that they were talking about Zherdev .

Old
01-01-2004, 04:55 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
The way I see it, I think if Pittsburgh wins the 1st overall the next two years, they'll be more willing to trade Crosby than Ovechkin, as they will already have their superstar in Ovechkin up front and Fleury in the net. At that point, if there's any hope left for them to remain in Pittsburgh, they'll (IMO) be willing to let Crosby go in order to add 4-5 quality players that will make the team instantaniously competitive and bring some fans back in before it's too late for that sinking concession (even though I think it already is).
I don't agree, if you have both Ovechkin and Crosby and your considering on trading one, I think Ovechkin is the one going in a trade. There aren't too many kids out their like Crosby being called the next one, that would be too much to pass on.

Wadell almost bit on Savards trade offer for the number one pick and Dudley even stated that Montreal was offering the best pakage this summer for the 1st overall pick so obviously there are a lot of kids in our system that other teams want, so why should we trade them? Or if we were close two years in a row for the 1st overall pick maybe this is the year we get it with BG sweeting the pot a little???

Old
01-01-2004, 05:05 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
I don't agree, if you have both Ovechkin and Crosby and your considering on trading one, I think Ovechkin is the one going in a trade. There aren't too many kids out their like Crosby being called the next one, that would be too much to pass on.

Wadell almost bit on Savards trade offer for the number one pick and Dudley even stated that Montreal was offering the best pakage this summer for the 1st overall pick so obviously there are a lot of kids in our system that other teams want, so why should we trade them? Or if we were close two years in a row for the 1st overall pick maybe this is the year we get it with BG sweeting the pot a little???
Crosby is VERY hyped in NA just because he plays here and is under media scrutiny, but make no mistake about it, in both Ovechkin's and Crosby's cases, sky is the limit in terms of upside. They both have the potential to dominate a game in a few years down the road like no other. When you're at that point, it becomes pretty moot to say which one will be the best. Both could become the next best thing since sliced bread.

As for trading for such a player, it's all a philosophy question. Gainey's in charge now. Does he want to add a franchise scorer, or does he want to pill up talent up front? Nobody knows but one thing remains, they don't HAVE to trade for such player to fill the Bell Center obviously, but doing so, especially in Crosby's case, would make the marchandise and ticket sales go through the roof. Hockey's a business, and I'm sure this is something they'll consider as well.

Old
01-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Traitor8

When Did Dudley say that we offered the best package??????????

Am I missing something here?

Old
01-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Dr_Chimera*

Send a message via ICQ to Dr_Chimera* Send a message via MSN to Dr_Chimera*
Quote:

Why is that? Because the local media says so?

Ovechkin is a much more proven player - especially in the defensive zone and at 18 the Russian WJC team's captain, an honour which almost never goes to Russians that young.

Crosby is way too overhyped - he's a fine player, but all the hype is giving people the wrong impression.

Old
01-01-2004, 05:23 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
When Did Dudley say that we offered the best package??????????

Am I missing something here?
Canadiens Montreal has offered the Panthers their first and Marcel Hossa for Florida’s first. Dudly apparently wants Jason Ward included in the deal, and talks have since stopped.

From HockeyTradeRumors...I know I saw articles elsewhere on the net this summer too, I'm not sure who but Slam sports comes to mind to.

Old
01-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Traitor8

and wtf didn't we give Ward to acquire Staal or Horton ????

Old
01-01-2004, 05:28 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Chimera
Why is that? Because the local media says so?

Ovechkin is a much more proven player - especially in the defensive zone and at 18 the Russian WJC team's captain, an honour which almost never goes to Russians that young.

Crosby is way too overhyped - he's a fine player, but all the hype is giving people the wrong impression.
I'm not judging my view on media but my own opinion, this kid is 16 and dominating in the Q and doing quite well in the WJC with the worlds best kids that are 2 and 3 years older than him...two years from now I'm scared and excited in seeing what he can do.

I now Ovechkin is a great player and we don't get to see or hear so much about him and it can make us bias sometimes, but there is too much about Crosby that all scouts, GM's and experts all agree on when they talk about him...he is can't miss and he is that good.

Old
01-01-2004, 05:32 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
and wtf didn't we give Ward to acquire Staal or Horton ????
At that time Hossa and a top ten should have been good enough, Ward had just come off a great late winter-spring run with the Habs and management probably felt that it was too much for one player. Plus the draft was a good one and all the scouts said a player drafted in the 2nd round of that draft maybe as good as a top ten in the 1st round, it was too balanced and the price for top pick shouldn't have been so steep.

With Ovechkin and Crosby, well they are a different beast. The asking price will be steep.

Plus our pick in Kats maybe the steal and I think the better of at least Horton if not Stall too.

Old
01-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Traitor8

We didn't want to give WARD!!!!!!!!!

WTF IS management thinking????????

Old
01-01-2004, 05:38 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
We didn't want to give WARD!!!!!!!!!

WTF IS management thinking????????
They would have traded Ward, but not Hossa and Ward...it wasn't worth it. The panthers would pick 10th and still probably pick a player on their top 3 to choose from...how do they lose? Plus they gain two players to insert into their line up ASAP.

Montreal picked the player on the top of their list and didn't lose a player or a pick, we are better off IMO.

Closed Thread