HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line combination thread

Old
07-19-2007, 02:07 AM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hutchinson View Post
I believe Hamilton had over a point-per-game in preseason with Chicago last year, so there's a good possibility of him outperforming Ladd in camp and stealing his spot. (Meanwhile, Stillman will have 2 secondary assists and be -7 but won't get benched).

As for the Whitney-Cullen chemistry, Whitney only had 5 goals and 14 assists at even strength that season (in 63 games). Last season he had 26 goals and 27 assists at ES. Now obviously some of that has to do with his RWer being LaRose/Nordgren instead of Williams, but I don't think Whitney can produce enough at ES with Cullen to justify his salary unless our powerplay really, really clicks.
the problem was whitney's groin. the chemistry was unmistakable. whitney had skating issues all year, half the games he did play in he played primarily pp. when he was out there with cullen was when we were at our best during the regular season. it was three lines that were tough to check, come third period it was tough to stop us. i still remember whitney and cullen sparking a couple of those comebacks.

as for his output this year, i think he actually had less help this year. this year he just did his own thing cherry picking and holding on to the puck longer as he was on the spot to make things happen. staying healthy also played a huge role.

as for who will finish, i actually think of cullen as more finisher than playmaker. i think all three guys can finish around the net. it would be a sweet line.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:16 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hutchinson View Post
I believe Hamilton had over a point-per-game in preseason with Chicago last year, so there's a good possibility of him outperforming Ladd in camp and stealing his spot. (Meanwhile, Stillman will have 2 secondary assists and be -7 but won't get benched).

As for the Whitney-Cullen chemistry, Whitney only had 5 goals and 14 assists at even strength that season (in 63 games). Last season he had 26 goals and 27 assists at ES. Now obviously some of that has to do with his RWer being LaRose/Nordgren instead of Williams, but I don't think Whitney can produce enough at ES with Cullen to justify his salary unless our powerplay really, really clicks.
just read your post on the main board about how you really feel about cullen. im curious why you dont bring it over here. i wouldnt worry about freaking everybody out, i go off on our players and gm all the time. makes things more interesting imo. i think your assessment over there is pretty accurate of cullen, but i think thats why he works with whitney. whitney does the same thing, only it works more often as he is so spry and wily. i think they are both poachers who stickhandle a bit too much, which means throw hammy in there with them and itll be fun to watch. they actually would probably work pretty good together.

to be honest im not much of a whitney fan, he takes a lot of lazy hooking penalties over and over and then yells at the ref instead of getting his head out his butt. just my $00.02.

Old
07-19-2007, 02:16 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I think when you have as much skill as we do up front, it's tempting to try to overload one line with too much of the same type of player in hopes of accomplishing the goal times ten. For example, putting Ladd and Walker together to beat the snot out of the opposition and putting our three "softest" skill players in Whitney, Hamilton, and Cullen together for the purpose of dipsy doodle goals and tic tac toe plays that, while fantastic to watch, aren't as consistant as putting players with different compliments together and having them all bring something effective to a line. Does that mean that a line of Cullen-Whitney-Hamilton couldn't score goals? Of course not. However, in the interest of a balanced attack you probably want those guys broken up and put on lines that allow for a little more violence than the type of forechecking that those three could provide. The first man in for Carolina is VERY important. He has to be an above average skater with aggressive tendencies and the ability to punish opposing defensemen in order to wear them down over the course of a game or at least make them think really hard about taking the hit to make the play. Ladd, Walker, Cole, Brind'Amour, and occasionally Williams fit that kind of role of being aggressive, fast, and nasty. We need at least one of them on every line.

I have a feeling that unless Hamilton produces instant results, there is going to be a turning on him on an epic scale. I think his leash is very short considering how great the rest of our forward attack can be at their peak of production.

I think Stillman needs to be on his toes, however, because if anybody has a position in the Top 9 to lose by merit it is him. I'm not going to dismiss his great season the year before last, but i'm also not going to dismiss last season. There was no excuse for the lack of production once it was obvious that the shoulder was back up to par. He is going to be playing for big money this offseason and I would highly doubt it is going to be from us. I think we cut Stillman loose at the end of the season and use his money to bring in a legitimate threat on defense along with the money lost on Hedican and Wesley, who will likely hang them up after this year.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:50 AM
bleedgreen

i get the whole balanced line thing, but i think lines come down to pairings not trios. cole/staal...brindy/willy.....cullen/whitney. the third guy is often interchangeable, and what kind of guy is never set in stone. i agree that it would be similar players on the same line, but putting a certain mix of grit+skill+forecheck ability works on the chalkboard and on the xbox. in real life you go with whatever works and let the chips fall where they may. whoever said hammy is a lavi kind of guy, and that he is destined for more than the fourth line is right. lavi will use him a hell of a lot more than that. some one will have to bumped down or out, i agree that its likely stillman.

Old
07-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Forever Whalers

I'd like to see them try:
Ladd-Staal-Cole
Stillman-Brindy-Williams
Whitney-Cullen-Walker
Adams-Hamilton-Larose
Letowski

Hedican-Commie
Gleason-Wesley
Kaberle-Wallin
Seidenberg

Forever Whalers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:09 AM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
i get the whole balanced line thing, but i think lines come down to pairings not trios. cole/staal...brindy/willy.....cullen/whitney. the third guy is often interchangeable, and what kind of guy is never set in stone. i agree that it would be similar players on the same line, but putting a certain mix of grit+skill+forecheck ability works on the chalkboard and on the xbox. in real life you go with whatever works and let the chips fall where they may. whoever said hammy is a lavi kind of guy, and that he is destined for more than the fourth line is right. lavi will use him a hell of a lot more than that. some one will have to bumped down or out, i agree that its likely stillman.
Isn't that what the lines are based on normally?

What Hamilton is capable of is pure speculation. Not to mention this will be the first time ALL of our forwards are going into the season healthy (omg..knock on wood) so there will be less shuffling and trying to counter the affect of not having all of our players available. There is going to be a lot of shuffling around when we try to see who is going to click with who.

07-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Whalers View Post
Ladd-Staal-Cole
Stillman-Brindy-Williams
Whitney-Cullen-Walker
Adams-Hamilton-Larose
Letowski

Hedican-Commie
Gleason-Wesley
Kaberle-Wallin
Seidenberg

Ok, of all the postings I have seen regarding line combinations, this I think is most appropriate. There may have been another the same, but I dont recall it. I think that this 4th line could be quite effective, and there is a lot of annoying speed on that line that could create a lot of neutral zone turnovers and head the other way quickly. The only thing I might change is stillman and Ladd, but I am certainly in favor of trying Ladd out with Staal at least for a bit....he can muck up the crease nicely for Staal and Colesy.

By the way, I have been absent for a while, but syked about preseason. Great to read all of your thoughts again, and as usual, all are well written and well thought out.

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Les Ouragans

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacgirl12 View Post
Not to mention this will be the first time ALL of our forwards are going into the season healthy (omg..knock on wood) so there will be less shuffling and trying to counter the affect of not having all of our players available. There is going to be a lot of shuffling around when we try to see who is going to click with who.
Indeed. I remember last year, late in the season, we finally had our first period of hockey where we had only healthy scratches. Before the game was out someone else was injured and missed time. There are always some injuries and most games someone is laid up, but the duration of injuries and the way they overlapped last year was excessive.

Les Ouragans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Here is what I would like to see from the forward lines.

Stillman - Staal - Cole

Ladd - Brind'Amour - Williams

Whitney - Cullen - Walker

Adams - Hamilton - LaRose

OR - Switch Ladd & Stillman. Either or works for me. I would actually like to see Ladd crack the top line and log some good solid 1st line minutes. I think he may do well. Aswell, having Ladd & Cole on a line with Staalsy makes him have room out there. And if Stillman clicks again with Staal & Cole, great. I think Ladd could also be very effective on the Brind'Amour - Williams line. Line 3 with Whitney & Cullen makes all the sense in the world, add Walker to that line, and that is a 3rd line not a lot of teams can match up against. The 4th line of Adams - Hamilton - LaRose could be solid aswell. Hamilton would add some offense to that line. If K. Adams can score 15 goals on the 4th line, I am a big believer that with Hamilton getting PP time, he can do the same, and be effective with the icetime he gets.

On Defence:

Kaberle - Gleason (Correct me if I am wrong, but in the 05-06 season did Kaberle spend a lot of time playing with Aaron Ward? Kaberle had a solid year that season, and I think a player like Gleason, who is as close to playing like Ward as we have, but with a bit more of an offensive punch to him potentially, could come together well.)

Commodore - Wallin

Hedican - Wesley

With that said, I am also leaning towards pairings such as these:

Commodore - Kaberle: These two could benefit eachother. Commie had a very solid season last year, and is really coming into his prime years. If Kaberle returns to a 40-45 point season, and Commie can nail down 30 points, it looks like a solid pairing. Commodore would add the physical presence and Kaberle would be the solid puckmover.

Gleason - Wallin: They player very well together last season. I want Gleason to really step up his offensive game and bring it to life, even if that means a 25 point season. I think Gleason can be the man on this pairing to add some decent points. Him and Wallin are a nice fit.

Hedican - Wesley: The grizzled vets will be hopefully and healthy most of the season. They'll play decent minutes, block shots, and be solid.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Whalers View Post
Ladd-Staal-Cole
Stillman-Brindy-Williams
Whitney-Cullen-Walker
Adams-Hamilton-Larose
Letowski

Hedican-Commie
Gleason-Wesley
Kaberle-Wallin
Seidenberg
Only thing I can see wrong with those combinations are Hedican playing on the top pairing when it's not even clear if he will play at this point and our best defenseman, Kaberle, on the bottom pairing. Other than that I like the pairings, especially Gleason with a great vet like Wesley. Could learn a lot.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 04:00 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Seidenberg needs ice time and due to injuries that will occur on the blue line he'll get it. If a team is going to lose a lot of man games it's going to be the blue liners leading the way. With that said, who do we call up?

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 04:04 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16 View Post
Seidenberg needs ice time and due to injuries that will occur on the blue line he'll get it. If a team is going to lose a lot of man games it's going to be the blue liners leading the way. With that said, who do we call up?
Brookbank

Atleast that's why I took from the paper this morning that he would be the first call up since he has NHL experience whereas the others have zilch.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 04:15 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by colesyfan View Post
Brookbank

Atleast that's why I took from the paper this morning that he would be the first call up since he has NHL experience whereas the others have zilch.
JR said 'the guys we picked up last year'. I took that to mean Babin or Carson. Those were the only two prospects he singled out in his post-season press conference too. Of course I'm not really fluent in JRese yet, so what do I know.

ratsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Brookbank would likely be the callup if one of Wallin, Wesley, or Commodore went on the shelf. However, I would think that a player with more puck moving ability would be called up if Kaberle, Hedican, or Gleason went down. It appears that Noah Babin would be the logical choice considering the fact that he's had four years of college experience and performed quite well in limited duty. Babin apparently still has some things to fine tune but from all accounts Babin can move the puck quite well and may even bring some offense from the back end. His emergence may have made Hutchinson expendable.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 06:51 PM
dogbazinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Here is what I would like to see from the forward lines.

Stillman - Staal - Cole

Ladd - Brind'Amour - Williams

Whitney - Cullen - Walker

Adams - Hamilton - LaRose
I like this the best. It is the closest to the banger, playmaker, Ffnisher type on each line. Cole, Ladd, Walker being bangers. Staal, Williams, Cullen as finishers. Stillman, Brind'Amour, Whitney as playmakers.

dogbazinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Cory Stillman / Eric Staal / Erik Cole
Ray Whitney / Rod Brind'Amour / Justin Williams
Andrew Ladd / Matt Cullen / Scott Walker
Craig Adams / Jeff Hamilton / Chad LaRose

Rather easy to predict. I think we're atleast a season away from Ladd / Staal / Cole as our #1 line. That depends on whether Stillman can successfully return to his pre-injury form. If not, I think he'll find a home with Cullen and Walker on the third-line very quickly.
Pretty much took the words out of my mouth.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote