HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I hope Bettman is watching the WJC

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2003, 08:05 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
I hope Bettman is watching the WJC

Right now I am watching the WJC and the Fins and Canadians are putting on a hell of a show. Fast skating, hard hitting, and most importantly very few attempts to slow down the game.

Now many will say, sure but the talent pool in the NHL is watered down... true but how many of these kids for all the teams will be playing in the NHL?

My point is that Bettman should see what real hockey is and get his staff together and figure out a way to bring skating and pursuit back into hockey. The other players pursue the puck carrier... they don't hold the other members of his team up.

Old
12-26-2003, 08:09 AM
txpd

the international ice surface is significantly larger than an NHL rink. that would require toronto and detroit and montreal to give up prime dollar seats around its area to increase the ice size.

Old
12-26-2003, 08:15 AM
shveik

Did not Eric Brewer say upon his return from the Olympics, that he feels like he is skating inside a beer can on the NHL surface?

Old
12-26-2003, 08:16 AM
dragonwyck

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
that would require toronto and detroit and montreal to give up prime dollar seats around its area to increase the ice size.
And it wouldn't require the other 27 teams to give up that revenue?

Old
12-26-2003, 08:42 AM
GD|eNSo

Quote:
the international ice surface is significantly larger than an NHL rink. that would require toronto and detroit and montreal to give up prime dollar seats around its area to increase the ice size.
Well you see, the prime dollar seat wont be effected at all. They would simply be pulled back. It would, most likely only effect the end/last rows, in the lower bowl's. It can be done.

Old
12-26-2003, 08:54 AM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
The rules I would like to see are no touch icing, no red line and the offside rule.

Old
12-26-2003, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emenius
Well you see, the prime dollar seat wont be effected at all. They would simply be pulled back. It would, most likely only effect the end/last rows, in the lower bowl's. It can be done.
Granted, it would not affect row 1-5, but row 30-35 (or whatever the bottom of the bowl goes back to for example). Those are still higher valued seats that all 30 teams, not just 3, would be losing. Not to mention the arenas would have to have construction at the cost of the team owners to re-adjust the size of the rinks and any other factors that would be affected by it.

It's nice to say make the ice bigger, and I agree it would improve the overall game, but it's not feasible for teams who are already losing money.

Old
12-26-2003, 09:19 AM
HFNHL PIT GM
The Darth of Tytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
Granted, it would not affect row 1-5, but row 30-35 (or whatever the bottom of the bowl goes back to for example). Those are still higher valued seats that all 30 teams, not just 3, would be losing. Not to mention the arenas would have to have construction at the cost of the team owners to re-adjust the size of the rinks and any other factors that would be affected by it.

It's nice to say make the ice bigger, and I agree it would improve the overall game, but it's not feasible for teams who are already losing money.
im tired of the cliche. i wish people would accept the game for what it is and be happy with it.

dr

Old
12-26-2003, 09:26 AM
berney fkaj

I think there can be a compromise, with the revenue/ice surface. They may not have to make the rink Olympic size. How bout 10 feet wider, and 30 feet longer. Only takes a couple of rows out, and will at least make it like the way it was back before the players got much bigger.

Old
12-26-2003, 09:45 AM
GD|eNSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes

Yep, totally agree. The only way this can be done, is if the league agrees to pay the bill. We know that would not be happening.

You know, even if take out, two row's, that would make a big differance. No need to take out five.

It wont happen, though, for the reason's you provided.

Old
12-26-2003, 10:03 AM
dragonwyck

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality
im tired of the cliche. i wish people would accept the game for what it is and be happy with it.

dr
Why? The coaching has evolved to the point where something needs to be done. It happens in every sport and every sport does what they have to do to allow the sport to reach its full potential.

Old
12-26-2003, 10:23 AM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality

dr
Yeah, okay. (Wish I knew how to make the rolling eyes emoticon)

If you think the game should always stay the same, maybe we should go back to the days when you couldn't raise the puck off the ice and when you could only make backward passes like in football.

Get educated. The game must constantly evolve and it has reached a point where changes are necessary.

Old
12-26-2003, 11:06 AM
BCCHL inactive

1. Gary Bettman is a business man. He doesn't make decisions on rule changes to the game. His board of governors approve whatever they see fit.

2. Anybody begging for a larger ice surface after the Canada vs. Finland game this morning should keep in mind that the rink they played on was not regulation Olympic (or International) Size.

- Olympic Size is 200x100 feet.
- NHL Size is 200x85 feet
- Helsinki rink this morning is 200x94 feet

Old
12-26-2003, 11:46 AM
HFNHL PIT GM
The Darth of Tytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
Yeah, okay. (Wish I knew how to make the rolling eyes emoticon)

If you think the game should always stay the same, maybe we should go back to the days when you couldn't raise the puck off the ice and when you could only make backward passes like in football.

Get educated. The game must constantly evolve and it has reached a point where changes are necessary.
im not advocating going backwards, but i dont see any problem with the game we see today. well, when i say problems, i dont mean its perfect, i just mean that nothing is ever perfect and im quite fine with the "imperfections" in the NHL.

myabe im not interested in "tailoring" the game to meet a mass appeal. i quite frankly dont care what size the TV market is for the NHL.

dr

Old
12-26-2003, 11:50 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
I wasn't really pointing to the ice surface size because that is how the arenas are built here in NA...

What I saw was the fact the kids were trying to win, not tie games.

The NHL mantra is to not go out and win games, but go out and prevent goals scored, which has taken away from the natural talent and skills of the players. The Coach says, you can't take the puck to the net cause if you do, and it is turned over you are back in the minors.

Basically the owners have to see what is more important:
1). Entertainig the people who pay the bills

2). getting wins and giving the illusion that your team is entertaining.

That is all I was getting at.

Old
12-26-2003, 11:56 AM
dragonwyck

vCash:
Which is exactly why something needs to be done to reduce the effectiveness of the trap.

Old
12-26-2003, 12:04 PM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
What I saw was the fact the kids were trying to win, not tie games.
So far through 4 games, the only game that wasn't a shutout blowout ended in a tie. There wasn't a one-goal game, there wasn't even a two-goal game. The gamewinning goal was always scored so early that the decision of 'trying to win' never had to be made in the third period (except in the one game that neither side won).

Two 8-0 games, and one 3-0 game that would have been 8-0 had the losing team's goalie not been the player's best game (and the game's best player). And one 2-2 draw.

Is this what the NHL needs? Games that aren't even close, more shutouts, and still more ties?

People will grab on to anything to demonstrate what would make the NHL 'better' - even if it exhibits all the hallmarks of the same things they usually complain about (tie games, not-close games, too many shutouts).

Last edited by tmg: 12-26-2003 at 12:10 PM.
Old
12-26-2003, 12:11 PM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
2. Anybody begging for a larger ice surface after the Canada vs. Finland game this morning should keep in mind that the rink they played on was not regulation Olympic (or International) Size.

- Olympic Size is 200x100 feet.
- NHL Size is 200x85 feet
- Helsinki rink this morning is 200x94 feet
That's still 9 feet wider.

Old
12-26-2003, 12:12 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwyck
Which is exactly why something needs to be done to reduce the effectiveness of the trap.
Why? It is a coaching tool that wins. So many teams, even the Detroit Red Wings, play a form of the trap because it is a winning formula.

Ask the Minnesota Wild fans who pack the XCel Energy Center night after night if they think their team is boring. They will give you a three-word answer: "Western Conference Finals"

Old
12-26-2003, 12:14 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi
That's still 9 feet wider.
4.5 feet on each side is a lot easier for North American teams to adjust to than 7.5 feet on each side.

Canada was able to play their physical game this morning as if they were on a 200x85 rink.

Old
12-26-2003, 12:45 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Agreed, who wants to watch a game that's already 3, 4 to nothing at the end of the 1st period and the other team is struggling to even score a goal, much less put up a fight to actually stop the bleeding?

Old
12-26-2003, 12:51 PM
Thalia

I missed the first period of the game b/c I had forgotten that it was on so early out here on the westcoast but I really enjoyed watching the last two periods.

Geesh, those guys skated so fast and played so intense that it actually made me dizzy watching them. Very entertaining game!

Old
12-26-2003, 12:51 PM
neelynugs

i love the "tag-up" offsides rule. i know why they took it out of the game, but they should bring it back b/c it speeds up the game. i'm not sold on taking out the red line, and unsure about the icing rule. on one hand, it's awesome to see a guy outskate the defender and prevent icing. on the other hand, there have been many awful injuries caused by that race (see: peake, pat)

Old
12-26-2003, 12:52 PM
Jacob

Quote:
The only seats you would lose would be the higher ones.

Old
12-26-2003, 01:02 PM
dragonwyck

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Why?
The simple answer:

Common sense.

The answer that will go over your head:

Because altering the game to allow for better a better flow will not anger the great majority of dedicated hockey fans but it will make the game more appealing to the average fan and non-fan. Reducing the effectiveness of the trap would improve attendence, ratings, and make the fans and the PLAYERS happier.

Closed Thread