HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coach and Gm stability around the league

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2004, 05:14 PM
FacelessButcher

vCash: 500
Coach and Gm stability around the league

Espn article by Jim Kelley

so-so article but interesting none the less.

West

East

Old
01-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Is it just me or is Lowe being made to be the devil and Comrie the angel in this Comrie fiasco. Why do the media and Jim Kelly make it sound like Comrie did no wrong in the fiasco and it was all Lowe's fault. Comrie wanted to be traded and asked on September 6 to be traded. He pretended to want to attend training camp but had already asked for a trade on September 6.

IMO, this is a bunch of BS and Lowe is being made out to be the bad guy. Lowe wanted to send a message to Comrie that he wouldn't be allowed to push him around. Comrie was 23 and wanted to force Lowe to trade him where he (Comrie) wanted to go.

Lowe twice told Bryan Murray that the deal wasn't a deal until he talked with the Comrie camp. Bryan Murray and Winter want to paint Lowe as the bad guy in this Comrie fiasco.

A rumour I heard is that Comrie wanted out of Edmonton because the Oilers are "small market" and he didn't have a chance to win the SC and wanted to go to a "large market."

01-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Silver

Piss on Comrie, he's shown time and time again that he cares about one person...the Oilers aren't the first team he has walked out on.

I'm more interested in Murray...I say an interesting post that pointed out the Murray has used the "We had a verbal agreement" schtick twice now, first with Kariya and now with Lowe. I wonder if part of it isn't just Murray trying to cover his ass?

Old
01-01-2004, 06:31 PM
FacelessButcher

MacLean quits as Blue Jackets coach- http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...41&hubName=nhl

Old
01-02-2004, 07:48 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i agree Silver Murray must be covering himself using that argument. I'm sure Paul Kariya said to him look i've had enough i want to play for a contender, last year was a fluke and no way is that going to happen again. As for the Lowe situation Murray was under immense pressure to pull that off and he correctly lowballed Lowe, i think every single GM would have done what Murray did. When things didn't work out and Lowe threw down the gauntlet Murray didn't want anything to do with Comrie since the Ducks could have paid 2.5m extra and so he needed a bonafide excuse. Would you honestly, as a ducks fans pov, not pay 2.5m extra to get Comrie considering last season you had a cup run and two expensive players (kariya + oates) are now missing from your payroll ? i'm sure some ducks fans somewhere would disagree but point is thats not a huge payout so murray used the Lowe excuse.

Old
01-02-2004, 07:56 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
to comment on the article itself these are two very interesting points

Quote:
he took a hit in the Comrie dealings as well. He won't pay any real price for it, but GMs will be cautious in how they make deals with Lowe in the future
could this not be interpreted as GMs know that Lowe someone who will get something out of nothing in a underdog position that he was in (RFA holdout) and therefore won't pay any real price for the Comrie situation since more GMs respect the manner in which he handled it, which relates to the Murray outburst as most GMs probably saw that as a defensive tactics from the ducks fans rather than a lash out to Lowe.

secondly,
Quote:
Lowe is solid with ownership, but he made an enemy in the Comrie camp and Comrie's dad carries considerable influence in the Edmonton business community and the business community owns the team.
umm if this was the case wouldn't we have heard something about it by now? either Bill's hands are tied in the EIG that owns the team since the others may be against Bill's stance or Bill himself knows about the Mike Comrie situation and realises that its not something he can hold as a grudge or anything, his son wanted out for reasons of his own this has nothing to do with Bill Comrie.

Closed Thread