Ivan Vishnevskiy signed

Old
07-18-2007, 05:32 PM
________

vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Ivan Vishnevskiy signed

Three year entry level deal.
I don't think he's eligible to play in Iowa this season, until Rouyn-Noranda's season is over, however CHL rules might be different for imported players.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 10:58 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
I just checked out the Iowa Stars Roster:

Defenseman
Nicklas Grossman - Should play with the Dallas Stars next season
Marty Wilford - Signed with the Hamburg Freezers of the Deutsche Liga (Germany)

Mark Fistric - Should play for Iowa
Matt Niskanen - Should play for Iowa
Mark Ardelan - Signed with the Pittsbugh Penguins
Matt DeMarchi - Signed with the HC Bolzano (Italy)

Mario Scalzo - Should play for Iowa
Matt Nickerson - Should play for Iowa

I don't know the rules of the CHL, but I would assume, and hope, that Vishnevskiy could play for the Iowa Stars next year. On a side note, did anyone see that Dan Ellis signed with the Nashville Predators. I guess Tobias Stephan is the starter, but who will back him up? Richard Bachman, 4th round pick in 2006, played in the USHL this year and is committed to go to Colorado College but is still listed as playing in the USHL next year. The only other prospect, Pat McGann 7th Round 2005, split time in the USHL as well and had a terrible final record of 27 games with 5 wins - 17 losses - 1 tie. I couldn’t find any info on him for this year. He has been removed from the roster of the last USHL team he played for. Anyway, Rescue Me is starting.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Chad_

Steve Silverthorn will battle Stephan for starting minutes since Ellis signed elsewhere. That I didn't see. Thanks!

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 11:41 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Steve Silverthorn will battle Stephan for starting minutes since Ellis signed elsewhere. That I didn't see. Thanks!
Silverthorn isn't actually in the Stars' organization, is he?

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:02 AM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I just checked out the Iowa Stars Roster:

Defenseman
Nicklas Grossman - Should play with the Dallas Stars next season
Marty Wilford - Signed with the Hamburg Freezers of the Deutsche Liga (Germany)

Mark Fistric - Should play for Iowa
Matt Niskanen - Should play for Iowa
Mark Ardelan - Signed with the Pittsbugh Penguins
Matt DeMarchi - Signed with the HC Bolzano (Italy)

Mario Scalzo - Should play for Iowa
Matt Nickerson - Should play for Iowa

I don't know the rules of the CHL, but I would assume, and hope, that Vishnevskiy could play for the Iowa Stars next year. On a side note, did anyone see that Dan Ellis signed with the Nashville Predators. I guess Tobias Stephan is the starter, but who will back him up? Richard Bachman, 4th round pick in 2006, played in the USHL this year and is committed to go to Colorado College but is still listed as playing in the USHL next year. The only other prospect, Pat McGann 7th Round 2005, split time in the USHL as well and had a terrible final record of 27 games with 5 wins - 17 losses - 1 tie. I couldn’t find any info on him for this year. He has been removed from the roster of the last USHL team he played for. Anyway, Rescue Me is starting.
Bachman's not going to be in Iowa in until 2011 at the earliest, same with McGann.

Defenseman Trevor Byrne was signed, but Iowa still needs two more defenseman, not sure if they're going to just promote two defenseman from Idaho, or sign two other defenseman.

Of course there's always Khomitsky, but I doubt he comes back over, unless he gets a one way deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
Iowa yes.

Old
07-19-2007, 12:03 AM
BigG44

I don't know much about him, but it looks like he played four years at Colgate U. and had a solid year in the ECHL. He played in 4 games for the Iowa Stars last year and was 2-1 with 2 shutouts. I don't think that he was ever drafted by a team, and I can't find any information about his contract status. I guess he was just a good free agent pickup, by the Iowa Stars/Idaho Steelheads, that can stick around until the goalies in the system are ready for the AHL.

Old
07-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Chad_

The Stars also invited Jean-Christophe Blanchard to the prospect camp next week to get a look at him, so he might end up being signed to play in either Iowa or Idaho if he has an impressive camp. Otherwise, I'd imagine the Stars will look elsewhere to get a fourth goalie under contract.

Old
07-19-2007, 12:55 AM
User Name
Registered User Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
Silverthorn was under contract to Iowa as late as 11/2/06. He was vital to Kelly Cup victory by the Stars affiliate Idaho Steelheads.

"Goalie Steve Silverthorn, the playoff MVP, unquestionably stood out during the seven-week playoff grind. But in front of him, the Steelheads found a spark from everyone."

http://www.idahosteelheads.com/news/...?articleid=455
http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/ppublic....s&cat=4&id=407
http://www.sportzdomain.net/index.ph...icle&sid=35986

User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:31 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
Silverthorn was under contract to Iowa as late as 11/2/06. He was vital to Kelly Cup victory by the Stars affiliate Idaho Steelheads.

"Goalie Steve Silverthorn, the playoff MVP, unquestionably stood out during the seven-week playoff grind. But in front of him, the Steelheads found a spark from everyone."
He still is. He was signed by Iowa in June.

Old
07-19-2007, 01:34 AM
________

Quote:
The Stars also invited Jean-Christophe Blanchard to the prospect camp next week to get a look at him, so he might end up being signed to play in either Iowa or Idaho if he has an impressive camp. Otherwise, I'd imagine the Stars will look elsewhere to get a fourth goalie under contract.
The Stars don't really need a fourth goalie under contract, since it's not like it's for Iowa, it'd be for Idaho.

Old
07-19-2007, 09:35 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Three year entry level deal.
I don't think he's eligible to play in Iowa this season, until Rouyn-Noranda's season is over, however CHL rules might be different for imported players.
I never have paid attention to transfer rules with the CHL, but Mike Heika had an article in this mornings Dallas Morning News explaining it.

" ...under the rules of transfer the NHL has with that league, must make the Stars roster this season or return to his junior league team. Vishnevskiy will be paid his signing bonus, but the three-year contract will not start until he can play at the NHL or AHL level – likely next season."

Old
07-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
that's what i thought. Once you joined the CHL you've to wait until you're 20 to play AHL

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:36 PM
________

I think if they turn 20 by the end of the year they're eligible to play in the AHL.
They might have a certain cutoff date before December 31st, maybe not.

Old
07-19-2007, 01:43 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Allow me to clarify.... I know he's signed with Iowa... but does that automatically make him eligible to be called up to the big club? I'm pretty sure prospects at an even lower level have contracts with the Dallas Stars, not just their respective minor league teams. But I certainly don't claim any expertise in the NHL financial world.

Last edited by eartotheground: 07-19-2007 at 01:44 PM. Reason: grammer
eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:49 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
I think if they turn 20 by the end of the year they're eligible to play in the AHL.
They might have a certain cutoff date before December 31st, maybe not.
It goes by birthyear. So a CHLer born in 1987 becomes eligible to play in the AHL in the 2007-08 season, a CHLer born in 1988 becomes eligible in the 2008-09 season and so forth.

ratsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Dr GLU

To play with Dallas, they would have to sign Silverthorn. He's a free agent, any team can sign him.

His AHL right are the only thing that are owned right now.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 03:08 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU View Post
To play with Dallas, they would have to sign Silverthorn. He's a free agent, any team can sign him.

His AHL right are the only thing that are owned right now.
So he can't play for any other AHL team, but he can sign with an NHL team. Can he sign a two-way contract with a team, or can it only be a one way contract exclusively with the NHL team? Maybe we should start a Silverthorn thread .

Old
07-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Chad_

Quote:
So he can't play for any other AHL team, but he can sign with an NHL team. Can he sign a two-way contract with a team, or can it only be a one way contract exclusively with the NHL team? Maybe we should start a Silverthorn thread .
That's correct. He can sign a two-way contract with any NHL team as he's not under contract with one, but he cannot sign another AHL contract since he already has one with Iowa.

Old
07-19-2007, 05:14 PM
BigG44

Quote:
That's correct. He can sign a two-way contract with any NHL team as he's not under contract with one, but he cannot sign another AHL contract since he already has one with Iowa.
But a two-way contract means that the NHL time who signed him would be able to send him to their AHL team? Right, or do they have to send him to the Iowa Stars if he doesn't make their roster? This is really pointless and doesn't matter but I'm bored.

Old
07-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Chad_

Quote:
But a two-way contract means that the NHL time who signed him would be able to send him to their AHL team? Right, or do they have to send him to the Iowa Stars if he doesn't make their roster? This is really pointless and doesn't matter but I'm bored.
A two-way contract doesn't mean anything in terms of whether or not a NHL team can send a player to the AHL. It only matters in terms of how much that particular player is earning.

For instance, the Stars could send Lundqvist down to Iowa even though he has a one-way. The Rangers held Kasparitis (sp?) in the AHL all season due to cap constraints, but he was on a one-way contract therefore was paid the entire $2 million plus contract he signed for. The Stars just signed Lessard to a two-way. He will be paid, I believe, $500k if he's on the Stars roster and $100k if he's at Iowa.

I don't know the specific rules that stipulate when a player must clear waivers on a demotion, but the one-way versus two-way contracts are only different in the amount the player is paid.

Old
07-19-2007, 05:55 PM
BigG44

Quote:
A two-way contract doesn't mean anything in terms of whether or not a NHL team can send a player to the AHL. It only matters in terms of how much that particular player is earning.

For instance, the Stars could send Lundqvist down to Iowa even though he has a one-way. The Rangers held Kasparitis (sp?) in the AHL all season due to cap constraints, but he was on a one-way contract therefore was paid the entire $2 million plus contract he signed for. The Stars just signed Lessard to a two-way. He will be paid, I believe, $500k if he's on the Stars roster and $100k if he's at Iowa.

I don't know the specific rules that stipulate when a player must clear waivers on a demotion, but the one-way versus two-way contracts are only different in the amount the player is paid.
I understand what a two-way contract means in terms of pay. Someone said that Silverthorn has only been signed to an AHL contract, so that means his rights are not held by a NHL team but he can be signed. If an NHL team signs him, does that supersede the AHL contract and allow him to play for that teams AHL if he does not make their 23 man roster, or do they have to send him to Iowa since they own his AHL rights? Like I said, this really doesn’t matter. I’m just curious.

Old
07-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Chad_

Quote:
I understand what a two-way contract means in terms of pay. Someone said that Silverthorn has only been signed to an AHL contract, so that means his rights are not held by a NHL team but he can be signed. If an NHL team signs him, does that supersede the AHL contract and allow him to play for that teams AHL if he does not make their 23 man roster, or do they have to send him to Iowa since they own his AHL rights? Like I said, this really doesn’t matter. I’m just curious.
I misunderstood the question. My apologies. An NHL contract does overrule an AHL contract.