HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Looking for some info on Tampa Area

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2007, 06:17 PM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
Looking for some info on Tampa Area

Hey fellas, I am thinking of coming down to Tampa for the 3/15 game against the Rangers. Usually do a few roadtrips per season and this year it is looking like Toronto in December, Washington and Montreal in February, and Tampa in March.

Just wondering about the arena, is it downtown? Near hotels or the airport? Anywhere near Ybor? I was in the area for the Super Bowl in January 2001. We stayed with a friend in Sarasota, went to Ybor Saturday Night, and to the Stadium for the game Sunday. I do remember passing Tropicana field between my friends place and the Bucs Stadium. But do not remember seeing the Lightning's arena during the trip. Any info would be appreciated.

Old
07-18-2007, 06:49 PM
missK

The arena is right in downtown Tampa on Channelside Drive. The Marriott Waterside and Embassy Suites Downtown are right across the street from the arena. Within walking distance are the Westin Harbor Island (2 blocks away), the Sheraton Riverwalk & the Hyatt Regency downtown (approx 6-7 blocks away). (Visiting teams usually stay at the Marriott or Westin). Also within 1 mile is the Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inn (close to I275). Hotels right in downtown usually have a high price. If your budget doesn't allow that you can book a less expensive hotel in the Brandon area where you would only be about 10 miles away from downtown. But then you would need a car for transportation.

Tampa downtown dining and entertainment (and movie theatres) are 2 blocks from the arena at Channelside. The Marriott Waterside has a Champions Sports Bar. There's a hockey bar called Hattricks 5 blocks from the arena. Ybor City is only 3 miles away from the arena and there is a trolley that travels between the downtown arena area, Channelside and Ybor.

If you have any other questions you can send me a PM and I will be glad to help!

Old
07-18-2007, 07:08 PM
gobolt7

I would highly HIGHLY recommend the Embassy Suites, what a beautiful hotel that is. Plus the free drinks from 5-7 are a plus. Even if they don't know how to make a proper hurricane.

Old
07-18-2007, 08:25 PM
patnyrnyg

Thanks for the info. MissK, I may be pm'ing you. It will likely come down to airfare. New York to Florida in March is a peak season, so it might get costly, but we shall see.

Free drinks 5-7? That could be dangerous. I may bankrupt the hotel.

Old
07-18-2007, 08:35 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Thanks for the info. MissK, I may be pm'ing you. It will likely come down to airfare. New York to Florida in March is a peak season, so it might get costly, but we shall see.

I tried one night.

Old
07-18-2007, 09:55 PM
missK

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post

I totally understand, I have the same problem but going the opposite way from you (my family is in NJ). Start watching for airfares now that you know the date of the game. I find the faster you can book after the airline releases the flights, the cheaper it will be.

Old
07-18-2007, 10:20 PM
LightningVinny

I've been watching the Lightning since '96, but I have yet to ever see a game live. I'm definitely going to have to remedy that this year.

Closed Thread