He is guilty and a good guy 7 4.79%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Boognish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I have seen more outrage over this, than when illegal immigrants are held as virtual slaves in brothels/spas in THIS country.

Sorry, but the fact of the matter is people do care more for animals than their fellow man. The reaction to this case highlights the matter quite clearly.
Domestic animals can't fend for themselves. People can.

Boognish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 04:15 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by em1ss View Post
What I am hearing on the talk airwaves is that the Feds are charging Vick because want him to name some much more high value targets in the dog fighting world. Apparently it is not so much his direct involvement in promoting dog fighting as much as his affluence allowed him access a higher level than your typical backwoods dog fights. The Feds know the charges applied will stick and the heat is now on to turn witness in a plea bargain type arangement. Somehow I don't see him doing his time or pulling a "Ray Ray".
Ahhh, thanks man, that makes a load more sense.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 04:20 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
I have seen more outrage over this, than when illegal immigrants are held as virtual slaves in brothels/spas in THIS country.

Sorry, but the fact of the matter is people do care more for animals than their fellow man. The reaction to this case highlights the matter quite clearly.
This is a very good point

It is unfortunate that people are abusing animals born innocent that can't do anything about it, but it is much worse when it happens to people. Although to be fair, if it turned out Vick had another house full of malnourished Latino slaves, I think that one might somehow manage to cause more of an uproar

Old
07-21-2007, 07:32 AM
Fravashis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
Well it's good to see abuse of English and Hyperbole have made their appearance. All we need now is a Nazi reference or racism to round this out. I'm counting on you, Valhoun. That MLK comment was out of the park.
no kidding eh, i wonder how long till the rapture makes an appearance

Fravashis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 09:47 AM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
Well it's good to see abuse of English and Hyperbole have made their appearance. All we need now is a Nazi reference or racism to round this out. I'm counting on you, Valhoun. That MLK comment was out of the park.
The "race card" is already making an appearance in the local fishwrapper.

http://www.ajc.com/living/content/pr.../vickkids.html

It doesn't matter what race Mike Vick is, the fact remains is that he had some sort of involvement with a dogfighting ring.

The NFL is supposed to make some sort of ruling on Vick's status for the upcoming season in the next few days. Considering that even the NFL has been involved in this investigation (Commissioner Goodell sent some NFL security folks [who are ex-FBI] to VA not too long ago to do some investigation into the allegations), means that even if Vick's trial isn't for another 6 months or more, he stands a chance of being suspended. Even if he takes a plea deal, that's no guarantee that he'll still have an NFL career afterwards.

Commissioner Goodell is trying to clean up the image of NFL players after several high-profile off-field incidents, and this one to date may be the biggest since it involves a Federal indictment (and there are reports that some state indictments are in the works as well).

Even if he is found innocent of these charges, he's pretty much put a match to the last bridge with fans here in Atlanta. He was already beginning to lose some of his endorsement deals, and some of those losses were contracts that were not renewed because of some of the negative publicity he's received since last Fall. The Falcons are definitely between a rock and a hard place in regards to Vick, as if they cut him or trade him, they'll still be on the hook for part of his salary.

StevenintheATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Thanks, I was drunk as hell when I wrote that and I'm glad to see it worked out.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 11:55 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenintheATL View Post
The "race card" is already making an appearance in the local fishwrapper.

http://www.ajc.com/living/content/pr.../vickkids.html

It doesn't matter what race Mike Vick is, the fact remains is that he had some sort of involvement with a dogfighting ring.

The NFL is supposed to make some sort of ruling on Vick's status for the upcoming season in the next few days. Considering that even the NFL has been involved in this investigation (Commissioner Goodell sent some NFL security folks [who are ex-FBI] to VA not too long ago to do some investigation into the allegations), means that even if Vick's trial isn't for another 6 months or more, he stands a chance of being suspended. Even if he takes a plea deal, that's no guarantee that he'll still have an NFL career afterwards.

Commissioner Goodell is trying to clean up the image of NFL players after several high-profile off-field incidents, and this one to date may be the biggest since it involves a Federal indictment (and there are reports that some state indictments are in the works as well).

Even if he is found innocent of these charges, he's pretty much put a match to the last bridge with fans here in Atlanta. He was already beginning to lose some of his endorsement deals, and some of those losses were contracts that were not renewed because of some of the negative publicity he's received since last Fall. The Falcons are definitely between a rock and a hard place in regards to Vick, as if they cut him or trade him, they'll still be on the hook for part of his salary.
Latest I've heard was the NFL and the Falcons would like to see Vick take a year off and go from there. It won't happen but releasing MV wouldn't hurt Atlanta too badly (as far as the cap goes), outside of the fact that they'd have no quarterback.

ExplosiveLEAFman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 12:17 PM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivethinman View Post
Latest I've heard was the NFL and the Falcons would like to see Vick take a year off and go from there. It won't happen but releasing MV wouldn't hurt Atlanta too badly (as far as the cap goes), outside of the fact that they'd have no quarterback.
Our backups don't exactly inspire confidence to say the least. Joey Harrington, Chris Redman, and D.J. Shockley don't exactly scream starting QB. At this point, I bet the Falcons regret trading Matt Schaub to the Texans (Hopefully it won't be the Favre trade all over again). Dante Culpepper is a thought, but there are some lingering doubts about his abilities at this point in his career, especially after this last injury.

StevenintheATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenintheATL View Post
Our backups don't exactly inspire confidence to say the least. Joey Harrington, Chris Redman, and D.J. Shockley don't exactly scream starting QB. At this point, I bet the Falcons regret trading Matt Schaub to the Texans (Hopefully it won't be the Favre trade all over again). Dante Culpepper is a thought, but there are some lingering doubts about his abilities at this point in his career, especially after this last injury.
Dante would give you a chance to win and be competitive, however. It might not be a big chance and it might go against the odds to say that he would remain healthy all season but it is still a chance. That's a chance that Harrington won't give you. Dante might be a has-been but that leaves open the possibility for a return to form. The rest of the QBs on that list are never-has-beens.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 01:03 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

The Schaub trade just 4 months ago does make it pretty clear that the Falcons had no idea this was coming down the pike.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 01:08 PM
TK79

Quote:

Agree completely. This is not as bad as what Pacman did for example. Although getting a kick out of watching dogs kill each other is sick, with all of the human rights violations going on this is small potatoes.

TK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 01:12 PM
TK79

Quote:
Domestic animals can't fend for themselves. People can.
That's pretty ignorant. I'm sure women forced into prostitution, kids sold as slaves etc. don't agree with that statement.

Old
07-22-2007, 02:06 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Looks like Dan Reeves and Emmit Smith, both guys who have met Michael Vick, offer a different slant on this mess. Interesting to see other viewpoints when the only ones I've seen in the media so far have been of the witch-hunting variety...

Quote:
"He's the biggest fish in the whole doggone pond right now so they're putting the squeeze on him to get to everyone else," Smith said Saturday.

"Now, granted he might have been to a dogfight a time or two, maybe five times, maybe 20 times, may have bet some money, but he's not the one you're after. He's not the one you're after, he's just the one whose going to take the fall -- publicly."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines

Quote:
"Sure, I'd do anything I could to help Mike," Reeves said Friday. "I think he's basically a good person. Unfortunately it just seems like he's made some bad choices over the years with the company he keeps."

"Like most everybody else, I'd heard a lot of the things that could've happened in his life over the last year or so," Reeves said. "I was shocked and saddened to hear about the dogfighting. Unfortunately, when you look at it, it seems like he's had the same circle of friends he had as a kid."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2944196

Old
07-22-2007, 02:19 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

The Reeves comment doesn't really surprise me, emmitt on the other hand....

He may have been to a dogfight...or two...or twenty. He may have bought the house used for dog fighting and he MAY have bought some of those instruments of torture, but he's certainly not the one you're after, doggonnit.

ExplosiveLEAFman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79 View Post
That's pretty ignorant. I'm sure women forced into prostitution, kids sold as slaves etc. don't agree with that statement.
Of course they don't. Neither do high school drop outs who spend their lives on the dole. But slaves and prostitutes don't love their masters. They are free to contemplate and attempt escape. Dogs don't have the benefit of perspective that humans do.

Boognish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Speedtrials

This is such a terrible story. The more I read and hear about what really goes on at these dogfights, the more I become disgusted. I am just waiting for all the players and coaches to give the same typical excuses for Mike Vick. I am sure we will hear "he is just a kid who made a bad choice". I am so tired of atheltes getting that excuse, when they are 25 years old. Mike Vick put himself in this situation, and if these accusations are true, he should get punnished just like everyone else.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 03:10 AM
TK79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrials View Post
This is such a terrible story. The more I read and hear about what really goes on at these dogfights, the more I become disgusted. I am just waiting for all the players and coaches to give the same typical excuses for Mike Vick. I am sure we will hear "he is just a kid who made a bad choice". I am so tired of atheltes getting that excuse, when they are 25 years old. Mike Vick put himself in this situation, and if these accusations are true, he should get punnished just like everyone else.
Is it just me or is the NFL looking more and more like a prison league every day?

Old
07-23-2007, 09:52 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79 View Post
Is it just me or is the NFL looking more and more like a prison league every day?
It is a prison league. Look at players who play there!

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 10:39 AM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Of course they don't. Neither do high school drop outs who spend their lives on the dole. But slaves and prostitutes don't love their masters. They are free to contemplate and attempt escape. Dogs don't have the benefit of perspective that humans do.
See, thats a very ignorant comment. Im sure if you were the pimp or whatever, you would beat up a prostitute or sex slave or whatever that was trying to escape. Thats pretty inhumane considering that they are all human, let alone torturing them mentally by making them slaves. Mental torturing can be brutal as physical ones. At least in this case, Vick wasnt killing his own kind. Thats better than torturing and killing his own.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLien View Post
What he is charged with is absolutely stomach turning, and given the high profile nature of this case my guess is that the Feds have their ducks in a row. He'll prolly go down for this.

I won't say whether or not Vick is a 'bad guy', but no matter how this case ends he is guilty of being stupid:

1.Ron Mexico
2.Fliipng off the home fans
3.The water bottle incident
4.This BS

The sports question here is are the Falcons more stupid than Vick for giving up Ladanian Tomlinson+Dwight+2 draft picks to get him.
One of those 2 draft picks turned into Drew Brees, mind you.

Tomlinson, Brees, Dwight >>>>>>>>>>>> Vick

And it's not even close.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 02:26 PM
ATLien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
One of those 2 draft picks turned into Drew Brees, mind you.

Tomlinson, Brees, Dwight >>>>>>>>>>>> Vick

And it's not even close.
I think you mean Rivers, but anyhoo:

Tomlinson>Vick
Brees>Vick (And Brees had a really rough start to his career)
Rivers>Vick.
Hell Schaub > Vick!!!

I just don't understand what it is about this franchise, but they can't seem to get out of their own way. I really thought that once the Smiths sold the team to Blank, that things were goimg to turn around; and for a brief period that appeared to be the case. I give full marks to Mr. Blank for his effort, but there is something very wrong with this team. Maybe Vick is a perfect fit after all.

Last edited by ATLien: 07-23-2007 at 02:32 PM. Reason: speeling
ATLien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Levizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLien View Post
I think you mean Rivers, but anyhoo:

Tomlinson>Vick
Brees>Vick (And Brees had a really rough start to his career)
Rivers>Vick.
Hell Schaub > Vick!!!

I just don't understand what it is about this franchise, but they can't seem to get out of their own way. I really thought that once the Smiths sold the team to Blank, that things were goimg to turn around; and for a brief period that appeared to be the case. I give full marks to Mr. Blank for his effort, but there is something very wrong with this team. Maybe Vick is a perfect fit after all.
Rivers came from the Eli Manning deal, he means Brees.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 02:50 PM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krndevil View Post
At least in this case, Vick wasnt killing his own kind. Thats better than torturing and killing his own.
Always look on the bright side, right? It was just dogs, so...

flerd_trandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 03:36 PM
ATLien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levizk View Post
I understand that deal, but wasn't Brees in SD already, which had them looking at an RB anyway? Didn't they get the manning pick from the Falcons?

Old
07-23-2007, 03:37 PM
ATLien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levizk View Post
I understand that deal, but wasn't Brees in SD already, which had them looking at an RB anyway? Didn't they get the Manning pick from the Falcons?