HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When is Avery's arbitration date?

Old
07-20-2007, 02:40 PM
blue2noise

vCash: 500
When is Avery's arbitration date?

This thing cannot go to arbitration. Having Sean as a UFA after this year would be a disaster. i want him to be around for a long, long time.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 02:50 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
This thing cannot go to arbitration. Having Sean as a UFA after this year would be a disaster. i want him to be around for a long, long time.
I wouldnt be upset if hes a UFA after a 2-year deal. I wouldnt want to sign him to a long-term deal though. Something about him is mysterious - he can flip any second. If he loves it in New York he'll stay. If he doesnt want to be here then fine. I love Avery. I just think its a good business decision. Keep him on his toes with a one or two year deal. Guys like him get complacent and they sour out IMO.

July 30th by the way...

So are arbitration awards always one year deals that the team can walk away from?

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-20-2007 at 02:55 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 02:52 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I wouldnt be upset if hes a UFA after a 2-year deal. I wouldnt want to sign him to a long-term deal though. Something about him is mysterious - he can flip any second. If he loves it in New York he'll stay. If he doesnt want to be here then fine. I love Avery. I just think its a good business decision. Keep him on his toes with a one or two year deal. Guys like him get complacent and they sour out IMO.

July 30th by the way...
Okay i thought it was closer than that. Come on GLEN!

Old
07-20-2007, 02:56 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

So are arbitration awards always one year deals that result in a UFA status the following year?

Old
07-20-2007, 03:00 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
So are arbitration awards always one year deals that result in a UFA status the following year?
No but it would be in Avery's case. In Henrik's case he would have still been a RFA. Arbitration contracts only last one year, though.

Old
07-20-2007, 03:07 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
No but it would be in Avery's case. In Henrik's case he would have still been a RFA. Arbitration contracts only last one year, though.
So all cases are settled with one year deals but it depends on the FA status you went in on that determines the following FA status. ok.

In that case I would rather find a way to get two-year deal done before then. But if thats what the Rangers want, then it would be stupid for Avery not to go to arbitration. He'll probably get a raise and he can test the market next year if he likes. Makes more sense for him if thats the case, and i think it is because i dont think the Rangers would offer one over 2 years.

What about extensions? Could they do something similar to what they are going to do with Henrik in January? Or is there a rule in the CBA against that if one goes to arbitration with UFA status?

Old
07-20-2007, 03:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Confused now.

EDIT: It says here that Avery is an RFA, does that mean he would remain one after the one-year arbitration award?

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/nyr.html

Old
07-20-2007, 03:14 PM
trench23

I beleive arbitration deals are either one or two year deals, no longer.

trench23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 03:27 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Since Avery is eligible for group III FA next summer,his award can only be a 1 year award

If Avery was two years away from group III FA,the Rangers could ask the arbitrator for a 1 or 2 two year award.The party being taken to arb can determine the length

In the case of Lundqvist,Meehan could have told the arbitrator to give them a two year award instead of a one year award if the case had gone to arb

Quote:
Election of Term.
The party against whom an arbitration election was filed (i.e., the Club in
Player-elected salary arbitration and the Player in Club-elected salary arbitration) shall
elect in its brief whether the arbitration award shall be for a one or two-year SPC. Failure
to make such an election shall be deemed to constitute an election for a one-year SPC.
Notwithstanding the foregoing: (i) the Club or the Player, as the case may be, shall be
entitled to elect only a one-year SPC if the Player is within one (1) year of attaining the
age and experience level required for Group 3 Player status; and (ii) if the Player has
attained or is within one (1) year of attaining the experience level required for Group 5
Player status and the Club has elected a two-year SPC, the Player may, at the end of the
first year of such SPC, elect to void the second year of the SPC if the Player's Paragraph
1 NHL Salary for the first League Year of such SPC is less than the Average League
Salary for such League Year and, upon making such election, such Player shall (if he
otherwise qualifies at such time) become a Group 5 Player and be entitled to the rights set
out in Section 10.1(b). If the Club elects a one-year award for a Player within one (1)
year of attaining the experience level required for Group 5 Player status, then at the end
of that year, the Player may if he so elects, and if he qualifies, become a Group 5 Player
at that time and be entitled to the rights set out in Section 10.1(b).
A 1 year award is a 1 year contract.The Rangers would not be able to re-sign Avery until January 1,2008 if his case is determined by the arbitrator.Just like the Rangers can't sign Lundqvist to the contract extension until 1/1/08

A player in the last year of a multi-year contract can agree to an extension after July 1 when he is about to enter the last year of his contract.Thornton agreed to an extension with SJ on 7/1/07 which will begin with the 2008-09 season.He still has another year remaining on his original three year contract

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 03:32 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

THANK YOU RB

So, they could accept the one year offer and resign him with Lundqvist in January if both sides agree to.

Thats not all that bad considering the Rangers probably want to see how Avery "pans out" here. But it is a bit of a risk if youre a huge avery fan.

Old
07-21-2007, 05:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
THANK YOU RB

So, they could accept the one year offer and resign him with Lundqvist in January if both sides agree to.

Thats not all that bad considering the Rangers probably want to see how Avery "pans out" here. But it is a bit of a risk if youre a huge avery fan.
Yep

The Rangers could request a 2 year arbitration award for Hossa

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote