HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Octopus Throwing

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2004, 08:34 PM
detredWINgs

vCash: 500
Octopus Throwing

Guys, i heard some Avs fans saying that we (wings fan) are freaks cuz we throw octopus on the ice. That part is true-we're all freaks, but the part that bothered me was that some Avs fans thought it was cuz someone on the team would get a hat trick. SO heres a readers digest version of the tradition:

Way back when the NHL still only had 6 teams, there were only 2 rounds in the playoffs. Well, one year, the wings swept both rounds of the playoffs and won it in 8 games. Some psycho wings fan who owned a seafood market/shop brought an octopus to the 8th game and threw it on the ice when they won the cup in 8 games. The tradition continues....but now we just do it cuz we're freaks.

Now If you wanna see a retarded tradition, go to a predators game and watch them throw catfish on the ice.....just for fun.

Old
01-02-2004, 06:08 AM
DarioinDenver

Thanks for the info but I've never heard of an Avalanche fan that believed such a tradition was because of a hat trick. The Avalanche faithfull are generally well informed regarding Detroit's original six origins as they continue to bring it up and we've seen the Octopuss every year.

Old
01-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
It may not be thrown out onto the ice after a hat trick, but maybe that's how it should be done, as it seems like Wings fans throw out the octipi too liberally. Why not make the tradition meaningful, instead of making it a gimmick, by throwing it out in the first period, after nothing special just happened. I've even seen it thrown out after the first stoppage in play a couple times, that's just plain impatient.

Old
01-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Breck Av

I'm sure every hockey fan in North America knows about the tradition. I enjoyed watching idiots get thrown out of the Pepsi Center and McNichols Arena after throwing that isht out on the ice.

What I didn't know is that Detroit is now the fattest city in America. Has a new tradition been started where they eat the octopus instead of throwing it?

Denver is always ranked as one of the healthiest places to live in North America.
Fatty Red Wing Fans

Old
01-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
Now If you wanna see a retarded tradition, go to a predators game and watch them throw catfish on the ice.....just for fun.
We did it in mockery of the Oh Great Red Wings, who have now lost to the Predators 3 times this season . I'm glad our efforts have not been in vain!!!!

Old
01-06-2004, 01:52 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118
I've even seen it thrown out after the first stoppage in play a couple times, that's just plain impatient.
I've never thrown an Octopus before.
But I imagine that if I brought one into the arena, I wouldn't want to have that smelly thing under my shirt for very long.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
I've never thrown an Octopus before.
But I imagine that if I brought one into the arena, I wouldn't want to have that smelly thing under my shirt for very long.
Good point.

Old
01-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
In SJ's first ever playoff series, an octopus was on the ice before the start of the game in Detroit. A Shark (I believe it was Jamie Baker) calmly skated by the 8-legged sea creature and hacked a few of its legs off with his stick.

SJ won both that game and the series.

Perhaps the way to take the magic out of the octopus is to slice it into bits?

~Crazed.

Old
01-09-2004, 10:48 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
The Octopus is apparently much smarter than the average dog. It's odd, but I always think of that when a see one of those "puppies" on the ice.

Closed Thread