HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's with this board and the gigantic Marek Malik lovefest?

Old
07-19-2007, 12:31 PM
g52*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
What's with this board and the gigantic Marek Malik lovefest?

All of the sudden, like two weeks ago, EVERYONE wants to hold onto Malik and they rave about his plus/minus.

" Well he really is a good d-man and his numbers are great ".

90% of the board at the end of last season wanted him to be dealt.

Hypocrites.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:32 PM
snowcloud

Short memories, I say.

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:41 PM
zacn

I am guessing it has something to do with a fear of changing things too much. I think after our late surge and play in the playoffs, people are freaking out with the turnaround this offseason. Why I am actually pretty concerned about losing Orts, I think people have been overrating Cullen and Malik. Orts really did make a subtle difference. He was a great role player and his return from illness fit right in with our turn around. Cullen and Malik were frankly frustrating to watch and despite Cullen's speed and Malik's decent defensive work down the stretch, we could do better for cheaper so people should stop worrying.

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:41 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Maybe its more of a situation where the comments like:

"He sucks."

"He's the worst defenseman in the league."

"I would send him to Hartford."

"I would trade him for a 7th round pick."

are all comments that are ignorant and flat-out wrong. I'm by no means a Malik fan, but I certainly have no problem with him for one last year at a bargain price of 2.5M. Especially with the current cap situtation. Try finding a better defenseman for 2.5M.

07-19-2007, 12:43 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Who cares really?

Have you kept detailed records of whos for and against Malik? 90%? Did you run a poll or something?

Personally I've never really bashed the guy. He annoys me to no end at times and we all agree his +/- stat is inflated and distorted. We have plenty of discussions on that

I think its because others are coming in with weird trade ideas and other defenseman who are simply put: not better than Malik. Malik isnt that horrible of a defender, hes just not a #1 pairing guy. I think the a lot of us here realize that but at the same time realize that more has to be done on the backend to solidify the defense, Malik being part of the problem but not all of it.

And i havent read much protection of Malik contrary to what you said about people "raving" about his +/-.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:45 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

"He sucks."

are all comments that are ignorant and flat-out wrong. I'm by no means a Malik fan, but I certainly have no problem with him for one last year at a bargain price of 2.5M. Especially with the current cap situtation. Try finding a better defenseman for 2.5M.
And that too.

Old
07-19-2007, 12:51 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
All of the sudden, like two weeks ago, EVERYONE wants to hold onto Malik and they rave about his plus/minus.

Hypocrites.
People might have changed their mind. Such ability is the sign of educated individual.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Servo

Quote:

"He sucks."

Amen.

Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:55 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:

"He sucks."

Can't get any more right on a post than that! Well done singn...

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Marek Malik is a disaster out there for 30-45 seconds of every game. the problem is though, is that for the rest of the game, hes a VERY good defenseman. hes got excellent positioning and makes great outlet passes, except for that 1 that gets picked off the other way for a scoring chance against. it happens all the time, but you take the good with the bad. id trade him, no doubts, but i wouldnt take back a bag of pucks like i would for kaspar. id actually want a decent return.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:04 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Marek Malik is a disaster out there for 30-45 seconds of every game. the problem is though, is that for the rest of the game, hes a VERY good defenseman. hes got excellent positioning and makes great outlet passes, except for that 1 that gets picked off the other way for a scoring chance against. it happens all the time, but you take the good with the bad. id trade him, no doubts, but i wouldnt take back a bag of pucks like i would for kaspar. id actually want a decent return.
Exactly. Its damage control with Malik.

Old
07-19-2007, 01:08 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I'm sorry but I say the same thing. I want Malik out. And watch how he is going to be the difference in getting us eliminated yet again in the playoffs. The Rangers fortune changed on that game 2 in Buffalo where we were up by 2 and Malik makes that stupid pass right to the defenseman in the crease for a 2-1 which was tied shortly after. That's Malik, costly turnovers in his own zone. I do not want to EVER see that again. And as far as the defensemen in trades not being better than Malik... I'm sorry but after what I saw of Mara, he is better than Malik and not only that, but he's still got POTENTIAL, something Marek Malik can dream about.

MidnightRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:25 PM
JayMan82

Quote:

"He sucks."

Staal

He is extremely well liked in the locker room, he's a perfect partner for Roszival and is always on our top PK unit... Most of us aren't fans of 'no-frills' hockey (like how pissed so many people were about losing Cullen), but thats his game and he does it well...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post

Hypocrites.
Not me, not once. Always felt the same way his teammates, his coach and his GM feel about him - he's a good D-man.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I think time heals all wounds..I was very up in the air about him returning but i'm glad he is coming back...He fits the Rangers system and 9 out of 10 games he is very steady..

The fans on this board use his name to get a cheap pop..like "lets bash malik....i have nothing of any substance to say but if i bash malik alot people will agree with me"

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 01:49 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Try finding a better defenseman for 2.5M.
He's too slow and gets caught reaching for pucks too often. If it wasn't for his long reach he'd be much worse then what his numbers show.

We don't have to look far to find better defensemen for a cheaper price.
Rozsival, Girardi, Tyutin, Staal(Judging by last years camp), and even Pock (judging by the end of last year's play) are all better and cheaper. I haven't seen enough of Strudwicks play, but if playing in Europe has helped his skating and awareness around him, he's probably just as sound a D as Malik. Just because he's on the ice every time the Jagr line is on and so his +/- is inflated, doesn't make him a sound defenseman. In the new NHL your defense needs to be mobile and Malik is not.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
He's too slow and gets caught reaching for pucks too often. If it wasn't for his long reach he'd be much worse then what his numbers show.

We don't have to look far to find better defensemen for a cheaper price.
Rozsival, Girardi, Tyutin, Staal(Judging by last years camp), and even Pock (judging by the end of last year's play) are all better and cheaper. I haven't seen enough of Strudwicks play, but if playing in Europe has helped his skating and awareness around him, he's probably just as sound a D as Malik. Just because he's on the ice every time the Jagr line is on and so his +/- is inflated, doesn't make him a sound defenseman. In the new NHL your defense needs to be mobile and Malik is not.
Look, I'm not saying he's not without his faults. Obviously he's not. But he's a more than serviceable defenseman. And he's playing first pairing minutes when he's not a first pairing defenseman. And, for the record, I have not once referenced his +/- numbers. He's just simply not as bad as some people here are making him out to be.

A team that is serious about contending for the Cup (which this team should be) cannot have three defenseman that have not played a full NHL season. And that would be the case if you have Girardi, Staal and Pock in lineup.

So, that said, it does come down to replacing Malik with someone from outside the organization. And good luck finding a guy who is better Malik who would sign for 1 year @ 2.5M.

And I'm sorry, but you're own bias is blinding you Strudwick can't hold Malik's jock. If anything his skating looked worse than it did in his first stint with the Rangers. He was awful There's a reason no team was beating down his door with multi-year deals (or at least a deal that would be worth more than what the Rangers offered). There's also a reason why he didn't get a contract last summer either. You have Strudwick in there and you'll miss Malik.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:13 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Cmon G52!

You call everyone hypocrites and then you just get up and leave like that!?

Old
07-19-2007, 02:17 PM
MidnightRanger

Singnblues. You should sticky this thread just so we can all laugh at these preposterous defenses of Malik whose head everyone will want on a silver platter come January when he is still turning it over in the defensive zone and causing us to lose games at the most inopportune times.

Old
07-19-2007, 02:21 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacn View Post
I am guessing it has something to do with a fear of changing things too much. I think after our late surge and play in the playoffs, people are freaking out with the turnaround this offseason. Why I am actually pretty concerned about losing Orts, I think people have been overrating Cullen and Malik. Orts really did make a subtle difference. He was a great role player and his return from illness fit right in with our turn around. Cullen and Malik were frankly frustrating to watch and despite Cullen's speed and Malik's decent defensive work down the stretch, we could do better for cheaper so people should stop worrying.
outstanding points. i agree with everything. ever since malik made that turnover of ozilinsh (however you spell it) proportions in game 2 i have wanted him gone. we can do better without malik.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:21 PM
alkurtz

Sorry, but the guy is still an effective NHL defensive dman. Did he play as well last year as the year before? No. Was he inconsistent at times and make some glaring errors? Yes. But do I still want him on the Rangers, warts and all? Absolutely. He is still better than what else is out there as an alternative, can still be a force on a team pushing to go far into the playoffs.
There is no such thing as an error free defenseman. Even the best are made to look like amateurs at time. He's not an allstar, not even close, but he can still use his skills and do the job.
Rangers fans always need one defenseman to scapegoat (it goes as far back as "hit em with your pocketbook, Harry") with Harry Howell in the 1950s.
Hopefully Tyutin continues to develop and that Staal becomes, in a few years, a shut-down D, and we don't have to play Malik on our first pairing, but I'd feel much more confident with Malik in our lineup come training camp than if for some reason that I can't figure out, we get rid of him.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
He's a favorite of the players in the locker room; a favorite of Renney; overall a steady guy on the blueline despite being mostly immobile; has an amazing +/- (despite what you think about that stat it is a measruing stick for d-men); and without a solid defensive minded d-man to replace him, we would be worse off without him.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:38 PM
MidnightRanger

WOW!!! JUST WOW!!!

I never thought I'd live to see the day that the word "Force" and "Steady" would be associated with Malik. Ranger fans you are on a real roll these days.

Old
07-19-2007, 02:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
Singnblues. You should sticky this thread just so we can all laugh at these preposterous defenses of Malik whose head everyone will want on a silver platter come January when he is still turning it over in the defensive zone and causing us to lose games at the most inopportune times.
Not sure why it's preposterous. People might be calling for his head in January. But that doesn't mean that right now, on July 19, the Rangers have a better option.

It might also be a situation where they might have better options in January.

Sorry, but right now Pock is not a better player than Malik. And Strudwick certainly isn't.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 07-19-2007 at 02:45 PM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:47 PM
eco's bones

The alternatives that people come up with to Malik coming back are just too depressing. Not a big fan of Marek's either but stuff like getting rid of him to sign everyone from Derek Morris to Sheldon Souray is a bit much. He has his brain shutdowns about once a game but he's not friggin' Igor Ulanov or Sandis Ozolinsh either. I mean Malik has one year left with us for 2.5 million. Would you rather have Souray--a much more defensively challenged d-man for 5 years at 25 million? Malik may be easy to get rid of this year anyway--seeing that he's a UFA next year--he's relatively cheap right now for being a 3-4 d-man.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote