HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA Free Agents?

Old
07-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Amateur Hour

vCash: 500
NCAA Free Agents?

I actually do want to know which NCAA free agent hockey players are out there to be had... any that the Flyers might be considering?

I, for one, hope the Flyers sign this guy. If not the Flyers, then some other team... either way, I just want to see the kid play in the NHL, if for no other reason than he has my favorite name in hockey.

http://sacredheartpioneers.cstv.com/...pp_bear00.html

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=75046

Seriously... I wonder if his parents were high when they were picking his name...

Mom: "Hey, honey, I was just thinking. Our last name's Trapp... how funny would it be to name our kid "Bear." Bear Trapp. I'm a friggin' genius.

Dad: "Yeah, killer."

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:48 PM
CantSeeColors

I saw Trapp play once at a game at RPI. The bear costumes by a few of the fans were pretty funny. On ice, he puts up some good numbers, but I don't really remember him standing out in that game. I know one game isn't much to base an opinion on, but he didn't seem that special to me that night.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:56 PM
rayearth

Heh, he played a year on the Bruins too.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
I actually do want to know which NCAA free agent hockey players are out there to be had... any that the Flyers might be considering?
Maybe a defenseman, I don't see many open spots at the other positions. If Gauthier gets traded and either Parent or Jonsson get called up, there are only six defensemen at the Phantoms

For the Phantoms:

Greentree - Potulny - Ruzicka
Tolpeko - Downie - Laliberté
Powe - Matsumoto - Pisellini
Grant - Cabana - Beaulieu
Reid, Ross and Zingoni

Picard - Parent
Jonsson - Timonen
Bartulis - Guenin
Grenier

Munroe, Houle, Duchesne, Beauchemin

Red = RFA's
Blue = AHL contracts

If all RFA's are signed, we have 46 players under contract, at most four open spots. And we don't have an ECHL affiliate currently.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 08:50 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
Joe Rooney from Boston College may still be a free agent; I'm not sure if he has signed with any team. He has good wheels, is a quiet leader, played some of his best hockey in key games and was named Hockey East Defensive Fowward of the Year for 2006-07.

Bio from last prior to last season:

http://bceagles.cstv.com/sports/m-ho...ney_joe00.html

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-19-2007 at 08:56 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:26 PM
daynus

yah i saw him play in the SJ, in lovely places like Yorkton and Humboldt. He is pretty good. Like that name eh. Must be native.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 09:33 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post

I, for one, hope the Flyers sign this guy. If not the Flyers, then some other team... either way, I just want to see the kid play in the NHL, if for no other reason than he has my favorite name in hockey.

http://sacredheartpioneers.cstv.com/...pp_bear00.html

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=75046

Seriously... I wonder if his parents were high when they were picking his name...

Mom: "Hey, honey, I was just thinking. Our last name's Trapp... how funny would it be to name our kid "Bear." Bear Trapp. I'm a friggin' genius.

Dad: "Yeah, killer."
There was an old TV show called "BJ and the Bear" but I ain't going there.

Old
07-20-2007, 10:20 AM
flyersfan64*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Maybe a defenseman, I don't see many open spots at the other positions. If Gauthier gets traded and either Parent or Jonsson get called up, there are only six defensemen at the Phantoms

For the Phantoms:

Reid, Ross and Zingoni

Picard - Parent
Jonsson - Timonen
Bartulis - Guenin
Grenier

Red = RFA's
Blue = AHL contracts

If all RFA's are signed, we have 46 players under contract, at most four open spots. And we don't have an ECHL affiliate currently.
dammm look at the top 2 d lines. if the phantoms have them all year their gonna win it all. i ean you have one of the top d prospecs, and three guys who will defintrly be on at least top 3 lines

flyersfan64* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 04:45 PM
fan mao rong

Quote:

For the Phantoms:

Reid, Ross and Zingoni

Picard - Parent
Jonsson - Timonen
Bartulis - Guenin
Grenier

Red = RFA's
Blue = AHL contracts

Ryan Potulny never appeared on the official NHL Free Agent list, so my guess is he is not a free agent. Boyd Kane, likewise, I don't see him listed. Riley Cote, not listed, do you consider him a shoo-in for the NHL? I would think if team management didn't consider Darren Reid better than the guys listed above him he would have been non-tendered. When I seen Phantoms, Tolpeko was a center, Cabana a left wing. I thought Beauileau was a center , also.

fan mao rong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan mao rong View Post
Ryan Potulny never appeared on the official NHL Free Agent list, so my guess is he is not a free agent.
I explained in another thread why Ryan Potulny is a RFA.

Quote:
Boyd Kane, likewise, I don't see him listed. Riley Cote, not listed, do you consider him a shoo-in for the NHL?
I consider Kane currently as the 13th forward, it makes the most sense as he can fill in on the bottom six and wouldn't benefit from additional AHL time. Cote is the Flyers enforcer as long as another one is signed or traded. Capwise both are also the best alternatives, as each only costs $500k per season.

I made the lineup only to show that there are not many open spots, i don't think that it is accurate, but it serves its purpose.

Quote:
I would think if team management didn't consider Darren Reid better than the guys listed above him he would have been non-tendered.
Maybe, but i couldn't find a position there i liked him better than the guy who is there.

Quote:
When I seen Phantoms, Tolpeko was a center, Cabana a left wing. I thought Beauileau was a center, also.
Tolpeko has to play on a scoring line, and the only open position is on the second line left wing, and he can play left wing. For third/fourth line bangers like Beaulieu and Cabana the position is pretty nonrelevant.

Old
07-21-2007, 12:29 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I saw this thread as the latest thread on the main board.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Ryan Duncan, the guy scored 30 goals for North Dakota this past year.

Sure he may be small, but as an NCAA free agent at a cheap contract, why not take a chance on a guy like him?

Jason Blake was an undersized Sioux, and he's just coming off of a 40 goal year. I'm not saying he's Jason Blake v.2, but it wouldn't hurt to take a chance.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 09:04 PM
fan mao rong

Quote:
I explained in another thread why Ryan Potulny is a RFA
I still think he is not , because , as the CBA says the list the NHL releases to the media has been given to the teams and the NHLPA for them to look over and have disputes settled by July 1.

I think the issue is, what is a year of professional experience? If I remember what I just read Potulny had 2 games of professional experience in year 1 of his deal, and I don't believe that qualifies as a year of professional experience. The only definition I know is for a year of accrued service, which is 40 games on a professional roster for a skater. So if that is the definition, then Last season was really Potulny's first year of a contract and is contracted for another. That's the theory I came up with, and maybe there is another that applies. One thing sure, his name was not on the list.

Old
07-22-2007, 12:24 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
I still think he is not , because , as the CBA says the list the NHL releases to the media has been given to the teams and the NHLPA for them to look over and have disputes settled by July 1.

I think the issue is, what is a year of professional experience? If I remember what I just read Potulny had 2 games of professional experience in year 1 of his deal, and I don't believe that qualifies as a year of professional experience. The only definition I know is for a year of accrued service, which is 40 games on a professional roster for a skater. So if that is the definition, then Last season was really Potulny's first year of a contract and is contracted for another. That's the theory I came up with, and maybe there is another that applies. One thing sure, his name was not on the list.
The minumum games requirement only counts for 18 and 19 year olds. Potulny's service time counted regardless of how many games he played.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 01:48 AM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Well we gotta figure at this point that if he was an RFA someone probably would have signed him at this point. He certainly is good enough that a team looking for scoring depth would have sent him over a contract by now.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 05:24 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
This is from the Philadelphia Inquirer of June 28th 2007:

Quote:
Hockey [...]
The Flyers extended a qualifying offer to center Ryan Potulny, maintaining his rights for next season.
Quote:
I think the issue is, what is a year of professional experience? If I remember what I just read Potulny had 2 games of professional experience in year 1 of his deal, and I don't believe that qualifies as a year of professional experience.
No, that isn't the issue. As Potulny signed his entry-level contract when he was 22, it counted from the day of his signature. According to the entry-level system he only could sign a two year contract. He signed that contract on March 29th 2006 (date of the press release), so it counted for the 2005-2006 and the 2006-2007 seasons. I gave the paragraphs and the extracts in the other thread, everything is explained there.

Quote:
The only definition I know is for a year of accrued service, which is 40 games on a professional roster for a skater. So if that is the definition, then Last season was really Potulny's first year of a contract and is contracted for another. That's the theory I came up with, and maybe there is another that applies. One thing sure, his name was not on the list.
Accrued season have nothing to do with the length of contracts, they come into play if the UFA status of a player has to be determined. Maybe there are some errors in the list, who knows.

Old
07-22-2007, 12:50 PM
fan mao rong

Quote:
This is from the Philadelphia Inquirer of June 28th 2007:

No, that isn't the issue. As Potulny signed his entry-level contract when he was 22, it counted from the day of his signature. According to the entry-level system he only could sign a two year contract. He signed that contract on March 29th 2006 (date of the press release), so it counted for the 2005-2006 and the 2006-2007 seasons. I gave the paragraphs and the extracts in the other thread, everything is explained there.

Accrued season have nothing to do with the length of contracts, they come into play if the UFA status of a player has to be determined. Maybe there are some errors in the list, who knows.
That list is an official document and was sent to teams and the union before its' media release, so if it is in error it would be in the media reprinting of it. Is it to be believed that the NHL, itself , would post an incorrect list on its' own website? I have not seen Potulny's name at other media places lately and now does not appear on Mr. Borlund's list, as I looked the other day, nor does that record he ever was, though I believe that was the original source with a previous listing.

As far as the Inquirer blurb, it says the story was compiled by staff, so that could just be a frequenter of this site who had assumed he was a free agent because they had read it here so frequently and because they saw that he was not non-tendered assumed he had been tendered.

You mean to say if a team would sign a college player with only a couple of games left in the season that it would burn a year off of the entry level contract? Why would a team do this? ( I don't really get into the age of Potulny, and the possibility they could only sign him for 1 year if they waited till the next season, maybe. It's the principle of the concept.)

So you say there are "time in service" requirements for Unrestricted Free Agency, but Restricted Free Agency has none? Seems to me , in previous CBA's that I was able to see , there were requirements and there were "time of service " qualifications..

Just 3 Questions:

1. What are the requirements for a player to become a Restricted Free Agent?

2. If there is a "season of experience" requirement how is the season defined?

3. If there is a period of time required to be listed as a "season of experience" and a player was under contract for a season without meeting that "season of experience" requirement , could it be that his contract would be considered still in effect until such time as said player would meet the requirements for Restricted Free Agency, (or Unrestricted Free Agency) if, indeed, there are such requirements.

Old
07-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
That list is an official document and was sent to teams and the union before its' media release, so if it is in error it would be in the media reprinting of it. Is it to be believed that the NHL, itself , would post an incorrect list on its' own website? I have not seen Potulny's name at other media places lately and now does not appear on Mr. Borlund's list, as I looked the other day, nor does that record he ever was, though I believe that was the original source with a previous listing.
I still think it is just an error on the list, you can't prove it is right and i can't prove it is wrong.

Quote:
As far as the Inquirer blurb, it says the story was compiled by staff, so that could just be a frequenter of this site who had assumed he was a free agent because they had read it here so frequently and because they saw that he was not non-tendered assumed he had been tendered.
Its just the first blurb I found while writing the previous post:

Delco Times:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Parent of the Delco Times
Other restricted free agents likely to get qualifying offers are Phantoms Ryan Potulny, Darren Reid and Scott Munroe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Gormley of the Courier Post
seven restricted free agents -- Upshall, Antero Niittymaki, Lasse Kukkonen, Ryan Potulny, Dmitry Afanasenkov, Ben Eager and Riley Cote.
Quote:
You mean to say if a team would sign a college player with only a couple of games left in the season that it would burn a year off of the entry level contract? Why would a team do this?
Yes, thats what i want to say. I don't know about the reasons, maybe they weren't sure if he is good enough or he only wanted to sign if he gets more money earlier. They did the opposite with Matsumoto and Greentree this offseason, both signed try-out contracts for the remainder of the season and entry-level contracts that became operative on July 1st.

Quote:
( I don't really get into the age of Potulny, and the possibility they could only sign him for 1 year if they waited till the next season, maybe. It's the principle of the concept.)
Paragraph 9.2 of the CBA explains what "age" means in relation to entry-level contracts:
Quote:
9.2 Age of Players.
As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an SPC, regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.
Potulny was born at September 5th 1984, he signed his entry-level contract on March 29th 2006. The calendar year he signed his contract is consequently 2006. On September 15th 2006 Ryan Potulny was 22 years old.

In Paragraph 9.1 is a table that states that players of a certain age has to sign a contract with a set length, players between 18 and 21 have to sign for three years, 22 and 23 year old players for two years and 24 year old players for one year. Older players aren't subject of the entry level system.

As Potulny was 22 years old, he only could sign a two year entry-level contract.

Quote:
So you say there are "time in service" requirements for Unrestricted Free Agency, but Restricted Free Agency has none? Seems to me, in previous CBA's that I was able to see, there were requirements and there were "time of service " qualifications..
For UFA status, the accrued season determine when a player becomes an UFA. Plainly a player becomes an UFA if he is 27 years old or if he has 7 accrued seasons. Scott Hartnell for example played seven seasons and became an UFA this summer for that reason. Accrued seasons have nothing to do with RFAs, other than that you are an RFA if you are younger than 27 and haven't played 7 seasons.

Quote:
1. What are the requirements for a player to become a Restricted Free Agent?
Younger than 27 and a maximum of six accrued seasons. There are some other rules for different UFA states, but basically these two conditions. And you need to get a qualifying offer to become a RFA.

Quote:
2. If there is a "season of experience" requirement how is the season defined?
Article 1 of the CBA, Definitions:
Quote:
"Accrued Season" means any League Year during which a Player was on a Club's Active Roster for 40 (30 if the Player is a goalie) or more Regular Season Games, provided that, for the purposes of calculating an Accrued Season under this Agreement, games missed due to a hockey-related injury incurred while on a Club's Active Roster shall count as games played for purposes of calculating an Accrued Season but only during the League Year in which the injury was incurred and a maximum of one additional season.
Quote:
3. If there is a period of time required to be listed as a "season of experience" and a player was under contract for a season without meeting that "season of experience" requirement , could it be that his contract would be considered still in effect until such time as said player would meet the requirements for Restricted Free Agency, (or Unrestricted Free Agency) if, indeed, there are such requirements.
There is only one rule in the CBA that says that contracts gets extended if a number of games isn't reached (paragraph 9.1(d)(i)):

Quote:
9.1 Applicability and Duration.
(d)(i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.
If players 18 or 19 years old sign an entry-level contract, but play less than 10 games in there first season, the contract gets extended by one year.

Old
07-23-2007, 06:32 AM
fan mao rong

Quote:
I still think it is just an error on the list, you can't prove it is right and i can't prove it is wrong.

Okay,, that's all some good information. If there's an announcement of Potulny's signing then it was all right. I really haven't seen much on that other than the referenced news of the tender. That could still be a media mistake, as there have been alot of media mistakes and omissions over the years. Maybe , other than the top guys they don't give RFA's much of a priority, I'll wait for the news of a posssible signing, or not.

I have seen all those CBA excerpts in isolation, I would have thought there would be more. Haven't printed it out, just try to search once in a while on certain issues. If it is said that is all there is on a subject, then it remains to be seen. Time will tell.

Old
07-27-2007, 01:27 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Not NCAA FAs but...

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2007/07/...signs_wit.html

Former UAH star Ross signs with Flyers' affiliate
Posted by Bruce McLellan July 26, 2007 4:57 PM

PHILADELPHIA - Former UAH center Jared Ross has signed an AHL contract. He'll return for a second season with the Philadelphia Flyers AHL affiliate, the Philadelphia Phantoms. Another center, Pete Zingoni, also was signed to an AHL contract.

"By securing these two players we have added speed to our Phantoms roster," said Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren. "In addition, both of these guys are hard working, great character players and we look forward to having them back this season."

Old
07-27-2007, 03:57 AM
ephecks

on the subject of potulny...i guess we'll find out when Edmonton offers him a contract.

ephecks is offline   Reply With Quote