HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

All Things Kaspar (merged)

Old
07-18-2007, 12:51 PM
TomLaidlaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
what is the cap hit?

If he is waived and sent to hartford his entire salary comes off the cap.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 12:53 PM
TomLaidlaw

It's nice to hear that Kaspar is in good shape but i just don't see it as a realistic option no matter what shape he is in. I think the front office made the signings this off season with the idea that Kaspars entire salary would be off the books and he would be in hartford. Lets say he looks 10 years younger in camp and forces his way onto the team with great play. Then that means Mara has to go. Considering the age difference between mara and kaspar I wouldn't be happy with that move.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 12:56 PM
JoTro

Send a message via AIM to JoTro
Like others have said, if he is back to his old self in camp, and it becomes fiscally possible, then I'm all for it. I love Kaspar and what he brings to the table when healthy. I'd like to see what Kaspar + Avery could to do on the ice together (besides take penalties, lol).

JoTro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 12:56 PM
NYRBlaznBure9

Send a message via ICQ to NYRBlaznBure9
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
If kaspar can play at the level he did the year before last, then why not? The guy was an anchor for us as was a mean SOB to play against. He definitely lost his way and if he comes back in the playing shape he was 2 years ago then he's 3 mil cheaper than what Markov will wind up getting for the same role. Don't count him out just yet

Malik - Roszival
Tyutin - Girardi
Staal - Kaspaitis

Play Gomez on the point on the PP....

could work....
3+ mill is a steep price for a 3rd pairing dman. On the other hand, a very physical and stingy Kasp I would take over Malik.. but I don't think/know if he can even be that guy.

NYRBlaznBure9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRBlaznBure9 View Post
3+ mill is a steep price for a 3rd pairing dman. On the other hand, a very physical and stingy Kasp I would take over Malik.. but I don't think/know if he can even be that guy.
if he can, ship out malik......i'll even come pick him up....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 12:59 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRBlaznBure9 View Post
Thats the big question. Are the Rangers willing to take a long hard look at Kaspar this camp?

If he was back to "normal" it would be a big risk with his salary to hold onto him because theres no guarantee he would make it the whole season like that.

I dont think hes really in their plans.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 01:03 PM
NYRBlaznBure9

Yeh, I think the safer choice is to stick with Malik and such, and I think that's what the Rags will do. If Kaspar can play well, deal him as someone said. Anything we get benefits this team more than losing him on Waivers or sitting a 34 year old in the minors.

Old
07-18-2007, 01:30 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
People seem to be forgetting that the reason that Kaspar struggled last year is that he had, I believe, 2 surgeries in the previous off-season and was slow to recover. I would welcome him back to Broadway if it's financially possible and beneficial to the Rangers. I don't think Malik is going anywhere, sorry everyone. I don't think Mara is really going anywhere unless they need the cap room. I'm not a finance expert and don't feel like being bothered looking it up. I could definitely see the pairings next year as:
Rosey-Malik
Tyutin-Girardi
Mara-Kaspar
Seems like a pretty solid 6 if Kaspar is back to his old self. Leaves Pock and Strudwick as extras. Strudwick can play Defense as well as Wing and you never know when injuries will hurt the team. Could Cullen's trade leave room for Kaspar? I know this means that Staal would be in Hartford but it also means you don't have to rush him to the NHL. It will be interesting to see what Renney and Slats do.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 01:36 PM
NYRBlaznBure9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
People seem to be forgetting that the reason that Kaspar struggled last year is that he had, I believe, 2 surgeries in the previous off-season and was slow to recover. I would welcome him back to Broadway if it's financially possible and beneficial to the Rangers. I don't think Malik is going anywhere, sorry everyone. I don't think Mara is really going anywhere unless they need the cap room. I'm not a finance expert and don't feel like being bothered looking it up. I could definitely see the pairings next year as:
Rosey-Malik
Tyutin-Girardi
Mara-Kaspar
Seems like a pretty solid 6 if Kaspar is back to his old self. Leaves Pock and Strudwick as extras. Strudwick can play Defense as well as Wing and you never know when injuries will hurt the team. Could Cullen's trade leave room for Kaspar? I know this means that Staal would be in Hartford but it also means you don't have to rush him to the NHL. It will be interesting to see what Renney and Slats do.
But we are hearing more and more that Staal is ready. Maybe there is no rush. I like the team the way it is. Sign Avery.

Old
07-18-2007, 01:48 PM
zestystrat

Assuming he is back to his old self.

How do you keep him up in the bigs at that price, but then again how do you trade him without keeping him up to showcase?

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:05 PM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Rosey-Malik
Tyutin-Girardi
Mara-Kaspar
i believe that Pock can play the wing as well...from what i remember of him at Umass

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Kaspars best year on the rangers 05-06 was not as good as maliks worst year on the rangers....

the only difference is kaspar will hit somebody and malik doesn't...the "tough guy" fans see ONLY that...

kaspar couldn't keep up with the play last year and HAS ZERO SHOT TO MAKE THE TEAM..great he's in shape...that doesn't mean he is an nhl defenseman.....

now we can dump malik and mara....ridiculous....

when was kaspar the anchor of the RANGERS DEFENSE?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:11 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
i believe that Pock can play the wing as well...from what i remember of him at Umass
OK, so if that's true and they can be at all productive, or at the very least, not horrendous, look at the versatility we just got. You'd have Hollweg as an extra forward if we re-sign both Avery and Hossa (although we do have to fill Cullen's spot and I believe both Avery and Hollweg can play center not that I want them too) and then 2 extra Defensemen that can play forward if needed. Not too bad. Again, this is all contingent on Kaspar being healthy enough to play. I think he could add some needed grit and snarl to the blue line. And I have no comment on Hutchinson because I know nothing about him.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:16 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Kaspars best year on the rangers 05-06 was not as good as maliks worst year on the rangers....

the only difference is kaspar will hit somebody and malik doesn't...the "tough guy" fans see ONLY that...

kaspar couldn't keep up with the play last year and HAS ZERO SHOT TO MAKE THE TEAM..great he's in shape...that doesn't mean he is an nhl defenseman.....

You should write a hockey blog. You're very insightful.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:22 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
but at the same time if he goes to the minors, hed have to go through waivers, a team like islanders, hawks or Panthers might pick him up.
So funny u mention the Hawks, i was thinking yesterday how Kasper could fit on the Hawks this season.
how bout Washington?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:30 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersMoogle View Post
You should write a hockey blog. You're very insightful.
This board is the blog. SOS is one of the best contributors, FYI.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
This board is the blog. SOS is one of the best contributors, FYI.
he's a snappy dresser as well.....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 02:43 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Let's see what he's got. I always liked Kaspar.

Last year Kaspar came into camp in terrible shape after he had suffered an injury and went through surgury, he's obviously trying to get into good shape for the upcoming season. I don't see why people write him off so quickly. Kaspar was great in 05-06, I wouldn't mind seeing him back.

Plus, unless Staal comes up and shows that he is the beast he was in juniors, we don't have that physical presence on the blueline and that is a very strong weakness. We got Aaron Ward for that last year and although he had the most hits among defensemen last year (while he was here) he was awful. If Kaspar can show that he's back to what he used to be, he was great with Toots, I could see them reunited.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 07-18-2007 at 02:49 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Midnight85

Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
Actually with Cullen's 3 mil salary fresh off the cap, Kaspar's 3 mil salary and a rook at center could work... Still creates a bit of a log jam though who sits its like musical chairs

Rosival
Mara
Malik
Tyutin
Girardi
Kaspar
Staal
Pock
Strudwick

Maybe they trade Malik... Please trade Malik???

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:23 PM
NYRangerfn09

I would not mind seeing him play again. I like to see a defensemen that can throw the body around. The more D-MEN we have, the more players will have to fight for there spot, I like the competition. Although his pricetag is a tad steep.

NYRangerfn09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:32 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersMoogle View Post
I'd like it to happen, but it won't. If he's really improved that much, trade him.
if he's really improved that much, keep him and trade someone else. As much as i think their great players, we could give up mara, hutchinson and malik. here are the lines i'd like to see
Toots and girardi
rosy and staal
strud and kasper (or as i call him "goldy locks"
and Pock can go to hartford.
I doubt this will happen, but its what i would like to see.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:32 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I'm sure Staal will be ready but if need be, he can start in HFD while we find a suitor for one of our d-men.

Rosival-Malik
Tyutin-Girardi
Mara-Kasparitis

we do have a log jam at the 7th man position however and I thought Pock did well towards the end to merit him the 6th spot. sucks that it looks like he's getting the shaft again.

Staal-Pock-Strudwick-Hutchinson

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:39 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

i feel bad for who ever has to make the cuts

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 04:58 PM
The Thomas J.*

I dunno, I can't see him playing the full season here, I'm thinking he ill look really good & camp & someone will pick him up.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 05:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post

I disagree SOS. Statistically speaking, Malik is far superior to anything Kaspar ever game us. However, I remember Kaspar playing very solid defense, sticking up for mates and throwing the occasional crunching check. What I see with Malik is inconsistent play, poor positioning, a reluctance to play the body and zero offensive contribution. IMO, Kaspar's best with us is equal to if not greater than anything Malik has given us. That's not me viewing things through "tough guy" glasses, either, that's just honestly what I've seen.

Why can't being in shape correlate to being able to keep up with the play? He was never a speedster, but if he's dropped weight, worked on his skating and conditioning, I don't think it's a stretch to think he'll be able to keep up with the play. Now this is purely speculation, as obviously we're talking about a bit piece from a newspaper, but still, don't be so dismissive of his improved conditioning.

Malik has certainly never been the anchor of our defense, and while it'd be silly to dump both him and Mara, the competition from a purportedly improved Kaspar can only benefit the team. Who knows, stranger things have happened, and this time of year it's way to early to write a player off, no matter how finished he may seem.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote