HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Weeks?

Old
07-21-2007, 09:33 AM
chip chipperson*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Ryan Hollweg is a role player who doesn't do anything particularly well. He is not a scorer (a given), he is not a great defensive player. He is not a great skater. And he's not a great fighter. Yeah he throws the occassional nice hit but that's it. He is a below-average NHL player.
your right about all of your points about hollweg. there was a game last year where henrik got bumped a little bit in his crease and it took 2 seconds for hollweg to drop the gloves. he stands up for his teamates.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 10:07 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
my grudge, and by proxy the reason for my annoyance and claims of overrating, are people using his "niceness" to call him a good goalie. heck some people even clamoring for his return.

i prefer to remain a bit more....i guess cold hearted and methodical, would be a good way to look at it. i prefer to look at productivity and evidence of measurable intangibles. i didnt see anything on, or off the ice to make me think hes a worthwhile member of the team to keep. you have to be objective.

also, i want to say again, for the record, all i ever said about his was that he was..

pointing again, to people looking at attitude rather than actual production. he didnt produce, and people add in personality as if its gospel. I never ONCE called him "worthless" or "horribly overrated". i just dont like the way those 2 come out. makes me sound like i am demonizing the guy. im not. im trying to remain as impartial and calculated as i can be.

i stand by what i said, the team is better off without him. perhaps adding "good riddance" was a tad bit tasteless, and ill happily recant that, but the rest i stand by.
Okay, I don't want to sound condescending, but how many goalies have you paid attention to outside of our organization? Kevin Weekes is no more inconsistent than that vast majority of backup goalies out there. Again, if they were consistent, they wouldn't be backups. So that's the first issue I have with your original statement.

Second, how is he one of the most overrated goalies you've ever seen? Who rates him highly? He was thought of as a good backup goalie for essentially his entire career, which until last season he was. How is that being overrated? I've never seen anyone calling him great, awesome, excellent or even above average. Consensus seems to be that he had a particularly up and down season, and that he's an average backup goaltender. That's why I take issue with you calling him one of the most overrated goalies you've ever seen. Overpaid I could certainly buy, but not overrated.

I didn't want him back either, unless he was willing to come on the cheap. I'd be much more comfortable with him than Steven Valiquette. And believe me, I'm basing my opinion purely on career track record, I could care less that he's a nice guy.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 01:46 PM
boblink

Hi guys, sorting through the threads, the main reasons that have been presented are:

• Money, but he signed a bargain contract with the Devils
• Inconsistency, he was a starter with Carolina a few years ago and inconsistency is one of the major reasons that goalies become backups
• Make room for a prospect, Montoya is really the only NHL goalie prospect that we have and due to salary cap reasons, he probably will not be given an opportunity with the big club

Anyway, I appreciate everyone giving there 2 cents worth, as far as I am concerned, I believe that something must have happened and unless someone has “an in” with management and / or the locker room, we’ll probably never really know

boblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 03:51 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Okay, I don't want to sound condescending, but how many goalies have you paid attention to outside of our organization? Kevin Weekes is no more inconsistent than that vast majority of backup goalies out there. Again, if they were consistent, they wouldn't be backups. So that's the first issue I have with your original statement.

Second, how is he one of the most overrated goalies you've ever seen? Who rates him highly? He was thought of as a good backup goalie for essentially his entire career, which until last season he was. How is that being overrated? I've never seen anyone calling him great, awesome, excellent or even above average. Consensus seems to be that he had a particularly up and down season, and that he's an average backup goaltender. That's why I take issue with you calling him one of the most overrated goalies you've ever seen. Overpaid I could certainly buy, but not overrated.

I didn't want him back either, unless he was willing to come on the cheap. I'd be much more comfortable with him than Steven Valiquette. And believe me, I'm basing my opinion purely on career track record, I could care less that he's a nice guy.
In NHL 06 he was 94 overall

But seriously...losing Weekes doesn't really effect me. I don't care that he's gone (only upset that it had to be the devils who got him) and i wouldn't really care if he was still on the team. At least it gives Vally and Montoya more opportunities to play.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 06:16 PM
DutchShamrock

I don't think there were any underlying reasons to his defection to the Devils. He wasn't a part of our future so he wasn't tendered an offer. He didn't get any offers to start anywhereso he reaslized he isn't a starter anymore. The Devils probably gave him the only offer he received, it was in the same area he currently lives in. In the cap era it's hard to live up to loyalties when the dollars and cents are such important factors to both sides.

Weekes was brought here to be a cheap starting goaltender for a rebuilding team. A goaltender that was to hold the place until Lundqvist or Montoya were ready. He wasn't meant to be a Stanley Cup caliber goalie but neither were the Rangers... not this soon and not this way. It's not Weekes' fault he was given that much money to ultimately be a back-up, blame that on Sather. But in his defense, no one could have predicted Lundqvist rapid rise to elite goaltender. Weekes fulfilled ever condition of his term here, namely keeping the crease warm for the next young goalie and being a mentor and good teammate despite not playing much.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote