HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Winnipeg Penguins?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2004, 05:56 AM
  #1
prabak11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: montreal
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to prabak11 Send a message via Yahoo to prabak11
Winnipeg Penguins?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...85&hubName=nhl


man it would me great to have another canadien team in this country!!!

next up quebec

prabak11 is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 06:41 AM
  #2
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabby
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...85&hubName=nhl


man it would me great to have another canadien team in this country!!!

next up quebec
How come Quebec City mayor couldnt come up with this idea. Mario is from that province after all, right? On the other hand would you want another team share market with Habs and Sens there already.

Marksman is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 07:01 AM
  #3
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
I'm all up for that city getting their Jets back. They truly have some of the best fans in the league. Pittsburgh's attendance numbers are ridiculous, so I'm sure if there's a team to move, they'll be the 1st ones. They made the league look quite sick with all those fire sales they did in the past few years, the most notorious ones being Kovalev and Jagr. I'm not sure if Pittsburgh truly deserves to have its team taken away, but I sure think Winnipeg (and its fans) deserves to have an NHL franchise back.

Munchausen is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 07:01 AM
  #4
BigM1ke
Registered User
 
BigM1ke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Drummondville
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
How come Quebec City mayor couldnt come up with this idea. Mario is from that province after all, right? On the other hand would you want another team share market with Habs and Sens there already.
Yes I would want that!!

BigM1ke is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 07:10 AM
  #5
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,093
vCash: 500
There's not a chance Quebec City or Winnipeg will get an NHL team back any time soon.

I'd put my money on a team in Stockholm ahead of Winnipeg or Quebec City.

Mike8 is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 07:12 AM
  #6
PrairieHabber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
There's not a chance Quebec City or Winnipeg will get an NHL team back any time soon.

I'd put my money on a team in Stockholm ahead of Winnipeg or Quebec City.
Thanks for the reality check but you have to forgive Winnipegers. The new arena will be completed within the year and it's stirring a lot of memories.

PrairieHabber is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 07:13 AM
  #7
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,599
vCash: 500
According to www.worldstadiums.com the seating capacity of the new rink in Winnipeg would be less than 15,000. Of course there are a lot of US based teams that would die for attendance anywhere near 15,000.

HCH is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 07:16 AM
  #8
PrairieHabber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
According to www.worldstadiums.com the seating capacity of the new rink in Winnipeg would be less than 15,000. Of course there are a lot of US based teams that would die for attendance anywhere near 15,000.
The seating capacity isn't the big issue. The old Winnipeg Arena could seat around 15K. It's the luxury boxes and team-controlled revenues that make the new arena an "NHL" arena.

PrairieHabber is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 07:45 AM
  #9
Dutchy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montréal, Québec, Ca
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Unless the new CBA brings in revolutionnary measures, hockey won't be able to survive in small markets cities.

Talking about small markets cities kicking serious ass... Go Green Bay!!!!!!

Dutchy is online now  
Old
01-02-2004, 08:55 AM
  #10
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,194
vCash: 500
Never, and I mean ever, will this happen.

Habs is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 10:49 AM
  #11
Guy!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Post-CBA the nay-sayers may be singing another tune. With an anticipated payroll cap or something of equivalent value to clubs, you might find that, with a new rink, cities like Winnipeg and Quebec might fight there way back into the picture a lot faster than one might think right now.

I've been spouting and have been a proponent for the last year, ever since the CBA started gaining a little headway in the headlines, that Quebec should start lobbying Mario to relocate that team. It was finances that lost Quebec the team in the first place, but with cost certainty and either a revamped Collisee or another arena, the Nordiques have the chance at a return.

The key, of course, is that cost certainty. Quebec had great fan support (as did the Jets, but the mayor when the team left actually said that Winnipeg was a better minor hockey supporter than NHL supporter - hardly what Bettman would want to hear) and with the appropriate corporate support I think they'd be a successful franchise.

Scoff and laugh now, but let's wait and see what happens with the CBA before really making any determinations.

ACF

Guy! is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 12:21 PM
  #12
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
I'm all up for that city getting their Jets back. They truly have some of the best fans in the league. Pittsburgh's attendance numbers are ridiculous, so I'm sure if there's a team to move, they'll be the 1st ones. They made the league look quite sick with all those fire sales they did in the past few years, the most notorious ones being Kovalev and Jagr. I'm not sure if Pittsburgh truly deserves to have its team taken away, but I sure think Winnipeg (and its fans) deserves to have an NHL franchise back.
All of the people that support Winnipeg getting a franchise should remember that their attendance SUCKED in the NHL as well.

Capacity of the Winnipeg Arena (15 500)
Jets Attendance:

1979-80 13284
1980-81 13265
1981-82 13382
1982-83 12889
1983-84 12400
1984-85 12994
1985-86 13620
1986-87 13594
1987-88 12681
1988-89 12816
1989-90 13106
1990-91 12931
1991-92 12931
1992-93 13550
1993-94 13297
1994-95 13013
1995-96 11316

All the Winterpegger people that think they can support a nouveau NHL franchise should have shut up and supported the last one. And all the the people whining about the southern U.S cities having teams...the Jets would have near the worst attendance in the league last year with every season that they were existance.

Hey Winnipeggers that want an NHL team...where are the sellouts? Where are the capacities that say that Winnipeg can support an NHL team. Well they can't.

This Winnipeg B.S. is starting to get on my nerves.

Slats432 is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 12:47 PM
  #13
Joe Malone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mabou....Wawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,633
vCash: 500
I doubt that Winnipeg will regain an NHL team, but anything's possible....

As a side note.....the other Canadian teams gotta be loving what's happening with the Canadian dollar lately. With salaries paid in American bucks, but revenues in Canadian money, the cost of running a franchise in Canada is getting quite a break. (That could help Winnipeg some I guess.)

I remember reading a while back about how much benefit was realized from even a slight rise in the beloved Loonie. At the time, the dollar was valued in the low 60 cent range. For every half cent the dollar rose, the Vancouver Canucks saved around $300,000.00.

The Canadian dollar is up 13 cents from where it was a year ago. Somewhere George Gillette is smiling.

Joe Malone is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 12:57 PM
  #14
Bud The Spud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: the dark side
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,273
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
I would love to see a team back in Winnipeg or Quebec, especially Quebec

Bud The Spud* is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 01:33 PM
  #15
Preds
Registered User
 
Preds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Bring back to Quebec: Nolan, Ricci, Sundin, Forsberg, Sakic, Foote, Simon, Lechyshyn, Thibault

Preds is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 02:01 PM
  #16
Erngueva
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
To compare this is the attendance for Quebec

1994-95 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,395 93%
1993-94 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,614 95%
1992-93 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,961 97%
1991-92 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 13,666 89%
1990-91 N/A
1989-90 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 15,080 98%
1988-89 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,545 94%
1987-88 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,952 97%
1986-87 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,881 97%
1985-86 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,785 96%
1984-85 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,917 97%
1983-84 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 15,137 98%
1982-83 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 15,111 98%
1981-82 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 15,192 99%
1980-81 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 12,227 79%
1979-80 Quebec Nordiques 10,250 10,742 105%

Erngueva is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 02:22 PM
  #17
Habs4Life
Registered User
 
Habs4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,366
vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erngueva
To compare this is the attendance for Quebec

1994-95 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,395 93%
1993-94 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,614 95%
1992-93 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,961 97%
1991-92 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 13,666 89%
1990-91 N/A
1989-90 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 15,080 98%
1988-89 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,545 94%
1987-88 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,952 97%
1986-87 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,881 97%
1985-86 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,785 96%
1984-85 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,917 97%
1983-84 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 15,137 98%
1982-83 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 15,111 98%
1981-82 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 15,192 99%
1980-81 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 12,227 79%
1979-80 Quebec Nordiques 10,250 10,742 105%
The province of Quebec always have great fan support!

Habs4Life is offline  
Old
01-02-2004, 08:09 PM
  #18
Zednik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 1,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erngueva
To compare this is the attendance for Quebec

1994-95 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,395 93%
1993-94 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,614 95%
1992-93 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,961 97%
1991-92 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 13,666 89%
1990-91 N/A
1989-90 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 15,080 98%
1988-89 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,545 94%
1987-88 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,952 97%
1986-87 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,881 97%
1985-86 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,785 96%
1984-85 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 14,917 97%
1983-84 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 15,137 98%
1982-83 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 15,111 98%
1981-82 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 15,192 99%
1980-81 Quebec Nordiques 15,399 12,227 79%
1979-80 Quebec Nordiques 10,250 10,742 105%
and we were the worst team in the league at this time !
Way to go Québec !

Zednik is offline  
Old
01-03-2004, 07:56 AM
  #19
tritone
Registered User
 
tritone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Laval
Posts: 4,978
vCash: 500
What about Hamilton?

I think Hamilton would be a great city for the Penguins. They already have an Arena and they definitely have the fans.

tritone is offline  
Old
01-03-2004, 08:39 AM
  #20
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
I think Hamilton would be a great city for the Penguins. They already have an Arena and they definitely have the fans.
Hamilton has even less of a chance than Winnipeg or Quebec City to get an NHL team. At least the two latter cities have proven they can draw decent crowds. Hamilton's only proven to draw one of the worst attendances in the AHL.

Mike8 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.