HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey's Future 2007 Flyers Draft Review.

Old
07-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Flyers Fan Forever

vCash: 500
Hockey's Future 2007 Flyers Draft Review.

In which they review the Flyers' 2007 draft picks:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9828

I would quote it on here, but it says not to at the bottom of the article.

Post your thoughts.

Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 12:56 PM
flyersfan64*

they rank downie as our #1 prospect off to the right of the article. also i think JvR should be on that list now

also they say our goalie split time with the 86th overall pick which i fin interesting

flyersfan64* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 01:12 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I think Maroon could really surprise a lot of people. A late round draft pick going to play in London as one of the top six forwards on the team.......sounds a little like Sergei Kostitsyn when he was drafted. Late round pick, goes to London, blossoms into a high scoring/well rounded hockey player. If Maroon does the same thing, we're in a wonderful situation. Plus, he's got a bit of a mean streak to him as well.

Other than JVR and Kevin Marshall, I'm also intrigued by Mario Kempe. If he can ever put the entire package together, we might have added a Pelle Eklund type player to the system.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 04:15 PM
54fightin

Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan64 View Post
they rank downie as our #1 prospect off to the right of the article. also i think JvR should be on that list now

also they say our goalie split time with the 86th overall pick which i fin interesting
I think Phillips could be a surprise. He needs to put on some weight but his numbers have been pretty good. He will also play against some tough opponents as ND's goalie.

54fightin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 08:02 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan64* View Post

That list of prospects was made several months ago.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Al Alven

Send a message via AIM to Al Alven
The Top 20 prospects list will be updated next month (with a corresponding article), at which time JVD and other 2007 draftees will be added to the mix...

Thanks for reading, guys!

Al Alven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 09:31 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Alven View Post
The Top 20 prospects list will be updated next month (with a corresponding article), at which time JVD and other 2007 draftees will be added to the mix...

Thanks for reading, guys!
Nice read, thanks.

But you have a little mistake in it, its not Travis Gawryletz at Ferris State, it is Chris Zarb.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 09:51 AM
lancer247

should there be concern that giroux hasn't stepped up from the Q ?

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 10:10 AM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
I'm not sure what you mean.

If you're thinking he should be in the AHL, he's not eligible until after next season.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Al Alven

Quote:
Not at all. He's a 19-year-old who has put up terrific numbers over two seasons in the league. Developmentally, he's coming along fine. One more season in the 'Q' is likely (unless he blows the team away at training camp, which is unlikely, especially considering the amount and quality of competition he'll be up against), then will move up to the pro ranks.

He's coming along fine.

Old
07-22-2007, 12:50 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Not at all. He's a 19-year-old who has put up terrific numbers over two seasons in the league. Developmentally, he's coming along fine. One more season in the 'Q' is likely (unless he blows the team away at training camp, which is unlikely, especially considering the amount and quality of competition he'll be up against), then will move up to the pro ranks.

He's coming along fine.
It also looks like Claude has added some bulk to his frame as well. The Trial on the Isle pictures show he's added a bit of size to him. Yeah, he's coming along real well. I don't know about anyone else, but he really reminds me of Mark Recchi in terms of size and style.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 06:04 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
It also looks like Claude has added some bulk to his frame as well. The Trial on the Isle pictures show he's added a bit of size to him. Yeah, he's coming along real well. I don't know about anyone else, but he really reminds me of Mark Recchi in terms of size and style.
I saw him at camp this year. He looked like he added 10-15 lbs since the last time i saw him in person (last season)

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 08:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Giroux is coming along fine, people need to relax and let our prospects develop in junior hockey. That said I have no issue with giving him a 9 game look this season

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Que? The kid's 19... as of this moment, the only way he could "step up" is by earning a spot on the Flyers' regular NHL roster.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 08:31 PM
GBG BLEED BLUE

Send a message via MSN to GBG BLEED BLUE
How do you feel about the early Garrett Klotz selection? I think if the Flyers put him in power skating and boxing classes he would do alot better,he has already done well for the Saskatoon Blades since his trade here,so what do you guys think? I know there is a Garrett Klotz thread but I thought I would ask the question again.

GBG BLEED BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 08:49 PM
lancer247

Quote:

He's coming along fine.
was he expected to make the canadian wjc team? how about now?

how would he rate compared to the OHL players?

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBG BLEED BLUE View Post
How do you feel about the early Garrett Klotz selection?
Not thrilled with it.
Quote:
I think if the Flyers put him in power skating and boxing classes he would do alot better,he has already done well for the Saskatoon Blades since his trade here,so what do you guys think?
1) Work out with Rod Brind'amour. The guy's a ****ing machine, and has been that way since day one. If Klotz takes care of his body the same way Rod does, he'll be scary strong.

2) Take power-skating lessons repeatedly during the off-season. A full bodied 6'6" player that can skate can carve out a career in the NHL on forechecking alone.

3) Learn how to screen the goalie. If a 35 year old Derian Hatcher can generate chances on the power-play by doing nothing more than setting up camp in front of a goalie, then Klotz can do the same; coaching will be hard pressed not to take notice of a player willing to take abuse in front of the net to make a play.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 06:27 AM
Chuck Downie
(New Coach Sucks)

vCash: 460
Nice review on the flyers draftees. I bet Maroon will be shaped quite well with the Hunters as his bosses. I can't wait til' London visits here in Ottawa......

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 08:42 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
was he expected to make the canadian wjc team? how about now?

how would he rate compared to the OHL players?
I can't see him missing the WJC team this year as long as he continues to have success in the early part of this year.

As for comparing him to OHL players, the leagues are pretty similar these days in talent levels and scoring levels, so I'm sure he'd be one of the top players over there as well.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Kaktus*

Garrett is a great big guy that can really skate, and is tough and aggressive,” said Holmgren. “We think he’ll develop into a good player.”

I do not understand. Holmgren claims that this guy can skate but but according to other prospect sites he can not skate at all.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Al Alven

He's not a terrific skater by any stretch, but he's solid. I think what Holmgren is saying here is that Klotz is a very good skater for a guy his size. At 6'5 (and still growing) he has a long stride, obviously. He has great natural lower body strength, and I think the Flyers feel they can really work with his raw ability, and turn him into a player.

We shall see...

Old
07-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
He's not a terrific skater by any stretch, but he's solid. I think what Holmgren is saying here is that Klotz is a very good skater for a guy his size. At 6'5 (and still growing) he has a long stride, obviously. He has great natural lower body strength, and I think the Flyers feel they can really work with his raw ability, and turn him into a player.

We shall see...
Did not see that anywhere. Here is an example of what I saw and almost every prospect site described like that
http://forecaster.cbc.ca/cbc/hockey/...Phi&DraftID=16
Scouting Report: At 6-6, 225 pounds, he's a mammoth physical specimen with intimidation upside... finished third on the Blades with 107 penalty minutes in 2006-07... is extremely limited in terms of offensive ability, as he produced just two goals and four points (to go along with a minus-6 rating) in 63 games last season... lacks mobility and coordination...
Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
Kaktus, how did you mess up bolding his quote like that?
fixed

Last edited by Kaktus*: 07-23-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 09:41 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Kaktus, how did you mess up bolding his quote like that?

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
Giroux is coming along fine, people need to relax and let our prospects develop in junior hockey. That said I have no issue with giving him a 9 game look this season
I'm not sure even a 9 game look is in the cards this year. Depending on who else they acquire/deal away, we've got a glut of players at wing already, and Downie may earn a look.

Giroux is on the roster for the Canada - Russia Summit Series, which for Canada replaces the summer WJC development/try out camp. He's almost a lock to play a big role on that team and then again at the WJC.

Let him play his Jr year, star in some international competitions, then join the Phantoms if/when Gatineau is eliminated from the playoffs.

Last edited by Larry44: 07-23-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I'm not sure even a 9 game look is in the cards this year. Depending on who else they acquire/deal away, we've got a glut of players at wing already, and Downie may earn a look.

Giroux is on the roster for the Canada - Russia Summit Series, which for Canada replaces the summer WJC development/try out camp. He's almost a lock to play a big role on that team and then again at the WJC.

Let him play his Jr year, star in some international competitions, then join the Phantoms if/when Gatineau is eliminated from the playoffs.
Even Lindros was 20 when he came up and he was a franchise player. This has been stated before but bears repeating: he is 19. If he comes up against real NHL defenseman and it undersized he'll get crushed and that will help no one.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote