HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Quietly injecting youth in camp?

Old
07-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quietly injecting youth in camp?

It's possible the Rangers will START the season with 3 rookies on the team..

Callahan
Dubinsky
Staal

The thing is all 3 of them could NOT make the team (although it's Callahans roster spot to lose) it could easily be

Bourret
Dawes
Korpedo
Baranka
Sauer
Moore

depending on the camps of all these guys...That's 9 young players going into a camp that have a legit chance to make the team..A very stacked team i might add....

My point is this is something that has been almost unheard of with this organization.....Now I know some of these guys should not start the season in the NHL but with a good camp they have room too..This season when training camp opens the level of competition between the young players is going to be something to see...

The salary cap helped this along but it didn't give the rangers the depth that has been assembled...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Geogaddi

I dont think Staal or Dubinsky really have a spot "locked" There def could be a Suprise at camp that catches the eyes of the staff. But thats whats good about how many guys could make the team and stun some fans. It will def be fun to watch.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Pizza

This is shaping up to be maybe the most interesting camp we've ever seen. So many questions about so many players. It should be super competitive. I can't wait.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 12:32 AM
Pizza

To add to your point SOS, I can't remember a Ranger team entering a season with a depth chart this thick.

It's just amazing to me what the organization has been able to do in three short years...

....and Cherepanov won't even be there.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 04:23 AM
shon

Is Girardi considered a rookie.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 05:30 AM
Pogo

I wouldn't be so sure that Sauer or Baranka have even the slightest of chances with the logjam at defense. Unless some players are moved I don't see either of them happening.

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 06:31 AM
eco's bones

A couple things--a little more player movement and a little more of a determination to rest Henrik more and Montoya is probably the backup goalie.

I don't think Sauer is ready to seriously compete for a spot on the Rangers yet. Baranka and Staal are the real contenders right now on D. Maybe Liffiton but he's not as multi-dimensional as the other two and the Strudwick signing hurts him.

I'll agree with the rest of the list--though I'm hoping both Anisimov and Pyatt turn out to be real sleepers and surprise contenders.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 06:43 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
I dont think we'll see more than 2 rookies (inc Callahan) make the big club. We have to remember with all the moves sather has made, there is a win now attitude in place and not so much leverage to let players learn on the job as maybe last year etc.

Staal could make it purely because he's that talented but i do see us signing a vet for 3rd line center and giving Dubi, AA and Pyatt and even Joe Barnes seasoning in the AHL which they all need.

But look at that - Dubinsky - AA - Pyatt - Barnes. Without even considering anyone else that's pretty good (and young) depth in Hartford isnt it?!?!?

My guess and i hope Staal and Cally make the team out of camp. Dubi will see some time later on and maybe Dawes and Bourret will get a crack later on too.

Sauer needs a year in the A at least. Good talent though.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Levitate

Is this anything like how Jagr is "quietly available"?

At any rate, the Rangers have done a pretty good job of getting some youth into the lineup these past few years. Not like 5 rookies at a time, but even last year when it seemed like no kids would make the roster and some people were upset at camp that Dubinsky or Immonen couldn't take a spot, and that Dawes wasn't given good minutes, the Rangers still ended up with 2 rookies down the stretch who played well for them and are likely to stick on the team.

Realistically, that's probably the best you can hope for. 2 or so rookies through the course of the season who can come in and make an impact.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 08:02 AM
mschmidt64

How come we're talking about Liffiton as ready to play in the NHL on defense but he's not even a top 20 prospect in the system, according to our polls?

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Levitate

Cuz Renney likes him and has given him a few games here and there.

The NHL doesn't go by what Hockey's Future thinks.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 09:04 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Cuz Renney likes him and has given him a few games here and there.

The NHL doesn't go by what Hockey's Future thinks.
Really? Well damnit.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 09:08 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
How come we're talking about Liffiton as ready to play in the NHL on defense but he's not even a top 20 prospect in the system, according to our polls?

First off it looks like a good list with even a couple more pretty good prospects to be rated. Liffiton is a good player. The same thing kind of happened with Hollweg a couple years ago. Not ranked high at all and makes the team anyway but in both cases (Liffiton, Hollweg) the upside is limited and depends a lot more on the players physcal side than his skill level. Liffiton projects IMO to be a 6-7 d-man. Greg Moore's upside doesn't look much higher than 4th line either but it's very realizable that he makes it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 09:08 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post

Callahan
Dubinsky
Staal

The thing is all 3 of them could NOT make the team (although it's Callahans roster spot to lose) it could easily be

Bourret
Dawes
Korpedo
Baranka
Sauer
Moore

depending on the camps of all these guys...That's 9 young players going into a camp that have a legit chance to make the team..A very stacked team i might add....

My point is this is something that has been almost unheard of with this organization.....Now I know some of these guys should not start the season in the NHL but with a good camp they have room too..This season when training camp opens the level of competition between the young players is going to be something to see...

The salary cap helped this along but it didn't give the rangers the depth that has been assembled...
I think two are a given Staal and Callahan. I liked what little I saw of Dubinsky. But I still need to see more before I'm sold that he's a legit NHL player.

07-23-2007, 09:10 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think two are a given Staal and Callahan. I liked what little I saw of Dubinsky. But I still need to see more before I'm sold that he's a legit NHL player.
I think Staal is a given too, unless he has a crappy camp like he did last season.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Speaking of Camp...

Is anyone planning on attending? I know they shut the doors last year to the public, but I am hoping that is not the sace this season. This will be an awesome camp to watch. Lots of guys fighting for a spot...lots of new faces...lots of tough guys battling it out. Anyone hear if it will be opened to the public?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 09:47 AM
True Blue

Quote:
You took the words right out of my mouth.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 09:51 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I believe Girardi is a rookie as well, so we may have 4 rookies.

I think Girardi is almost a lock at this point.
With Callahan it's his spot to lose, he's 95% a lock I'd think with the way he played at the end of last season and the playoffs.

Staal & Dubinsky will have to show that they deserve a spot. If Slats doesn't sign/trade for anyone before training camp for that 3rd line spot, I think that 3rd line center competition will be a very interesting one between Dubinsky & probably Anisimov. Then the defensive competition will also be very interesting as well with Staal, Hutchison, Kaspar, Pock, Baranka all fighting for spots.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 09:59 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I too think Girardi proved himself a great deal that its his spot to lose.

And its amazing that its almost an afterthought here - "isnt Girardi a rookie too?"

Its amazing how solid that kid played last year to the point where he quietly secured himself a spot.

He was a blip on the radar screen in last years camp for the most part.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 10:01 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Speaking of Camp...

Is anyone planning on attending? I know they shut the doors last year to the public, but I am hoping that is not the sace this season. This will be an awesome camp to watch. Lots of guys fighting for a spot...lots of new faces...lots of tough guys battling it out. Anyone hear if it will be opened to the public?
Last year the Lake George team bonding camp was open to the public, im wondering if theyll do the same thing again this year.

Old
07-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Last year the Lake George team bonding camp was open to the public, im wondering if theyll do the same thing again this year.

I went to Vermont a few times. I liked when camp was up there. Good little town, but last time they had it there they also had a Shriner convention. There were shriners everywhere!

I am going to write to them to keep it opened this year. Hopefully if enough people voive thier opinions maybe it will sway thier decision a little.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 10:22 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post

Callahan

Dubinsky
Staal

Bourret
Dawes
Korpedo
Baranka
Sauer
Moore

would you really consider him a rookie? he did play towards the end of the season.
rookie- a first year player
does that mean a whole year?

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 10:25 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Callahan would definitely be a rookie this season.

Old
07-23-2007, 10:31 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Callahan would definitely be a rookie this season.
? didnt he play great last season?

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 10:52 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
no, it's about young players shooting up and being so stoned they don't speak...

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote