HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The role of the assistant captain

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Yes Im Peter Ing

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Yes Im Peter Ing
The role of the assistant captain

Just a quick query here.

The role of the captain, I think, is fairly clear. Be a leader in the dressing room, be the first man to handle on-ice situations with the officials and such, Be the the link man between the refs and the coach, etc. Atleast I hope I'm accurate.

My question concerns the assistant captains. What is expected of them on the ice and of it. Outside of what the captain does, it doesn't seem there would be much responsibility for even one assistant. The idea of two assistants seems a bit overboard.

So is there much responsibility, or is the "A" just a material type honour?

Old
01-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Whinks

Send a message via AIM to Whinks
The assistant goes and talks to the ref when something happens when the captains not on the ice. Thats all i really know.

Old
01-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Shane

Just to clear it up, it's alternate captain, not assistant captain.

Old
01-02-2004, 10:17 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Just to clear it up, it's alternate captain, not assistant captain.
Technically, you are right, but both terms are widely accepted.

Here is how I view choosing 'C's and 'A's as a coach...

My captain is by far and wide my team's best leader. He must lead on the ice, in the dressing room, and must have knowledge of the rules and a calm demeanour so when I send him to ask the referee a question, he gets an answer. Just because he is wearing a letter does not mean he has the right to speak with the officials, that is still a privilege (applies for 'A's too).

My alternates are those who I see as best able to perform the captain's duties when the captain is unable for whatever reason to perform those duties. It is short and simple.

And keep in mind that the captains are not always the team's best players, but rather those with the best leadership qualities.

Old
01-02-2004, 10:33 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

My captain is by far and wide my team's best leader. He must lead on the ice, in the dressing room, and must have knowledge of the rules and a calm demeanour so when I send him to ask the referee a question, he gets an answer. Just because he is wearing a letter does not mean he has the right to speak with the officials, that is still a privilege (applies for 'A's too).

My alternates are those who I see as best able to perform the captain's duties when the captain is unable for whatever reason to perform those duties. It is short and simple.

And keep in mind that the captains are not always the team's best players, but rather those with the best leadership qualities.
I think those are general guidelines for pretty much every single sport

Old
01-03-2004, 12:48 AM
Stastny

Send a message via AIM to Stastny
The Captain and Alternate Captains are the only players allowed to confront the refs concerning penalties, goals, calls, whistles, etc. They are also an ambassador to the referees from the coaches. The caoches can't ask the questions to the refs directly, especially when they are in the referees crease, far away from the bench. Of course, they are also a status thing, but you'll notice that they don't go to guys who can't speak english.

Old
01-03-2004, 02:54 AM
Yes Im Peter Ing

Send a message via MSN to Yes Im Peter Ing
Interesting.

As a coach do you try to distribute lettered players throughout different lines in order to keep atleast one lettered player on the ice as often as possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

Old
01-03-2004, 03:37 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stastny
The Captain and Alternate Captains are the only players allowed to confront the refs concerning penalties, goals, calls, whistles, etc. They are also an ambassador to the referees from the coaches. The caoches can't ask the questions to the refs directly, especially when they are in the referees crease, far away from the bench. Of course, they are also a status thing, but you'll notice that they don't go to guys who can't speak english.
At the risk of sounding of biased toward English speaking players is there something wrong w/ that? If all the refs only speak English then why not have all of your captains be English speaking players? But, if the refs have the respect for the player complaining the call what's wrong w/ that? There's only 3 captains and most teams have 4 lines so somebody has to have the ear of the ref when all 3 captains are off the ice.

Also, how many teams have the C, A, and A on different lines?

Old
01-03-2004, 08:07 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariano
Of course, things are different now because all players yap at the referee.
True, but when there's a prolonged discussion going on about a call (usually after a big scrum or something else that needs time to sort out), it's mostly the C or As that are there to get the explanation from the refs. I've seen instances though, when another vet player is allowed in the discussion instead.

Old
01-03-2004, 09:59 AM
devilsfan26

Send a message via AIM to devilsfan26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
I've seen instances though, when another vet player is allowed in the discussion instead.
Yea, if like a scrum or something happens when the captain or alternate captain is not on the ice, then the coach picks someone else on that line to act as captain.

Closed Thread