HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Isn't today the day Avery and the Rangers

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2007, 10:02 AM
NYRJurgen88

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
No one is getting greedy, and it's silly to ask players to "appreciate what they have" and wait a few years for a big payday. The guys want money now, there's no telling what could happen to them in the future that could limit their next contract.

What if your boss said to you something like this: "We'll give you sixty thousand dollars a year for three years, and if we like what you do for us we'll give you a nice raise in a few years. The building we work in is nice, so you ought to feel lucky to work here." You take the deal, don't live up to the lofty expectations, and never get your raise. There's no COLA clause in your contract, so you end up losing money as the economy inflates. It's no good. You take everything you can get as soon as you can get it.
I appreciate that but what has he done to earn 3million? he had a very good half a season and made himself important to the team and yes, we'd be less of a team without him but he hasnt earnt 3mill. We cannot afford to give the guy near this either.

Give the guy a carrot, offer bonuses to hit 3million and give a fair base salary. im not saying he should earn nothing, but all i am saying is he SHOULD EARN it.

My point being with the appreciate part is that he's onto a good thing here. Its helped his private life, his boosted his career and he has the chance to do something great. Would you move to have a better life ADN get paid? hell yes! he needs to consider it all, not JUST the dollar... i hope he gets paid well, but also fairly.

Old
07-24-2007, 10:10 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
I appreciate that but what has he done to earn 3million? he had a very good half a season and made himself important to the team and yes, we'd be less of a team without him but he hasnt earnt 3mill. We cannot afford to give the guy near this either.

Give the guy a carrot, offer bonuses to hit 3million and give a fair base salary. im not saying he should earn nothing, but all i am saying is he SHOULD EARN it.

My point being with the appreciate part is that he's onto a good thing here. Its helped his private life, his boosted his career and he has the chance to do something great. Would you move to have a better life ADN get paid? hell yes! he needs to consider it all, not JUST the dollar... i hope he gets paid well, but also fairly.
I hear where you're coming from. But in a market where Ruslan Fedotenko (28 years old, 32 points last season) gets 3 mil and Raffi Torres (26yo, 34 points) gets 2.5 mil a season, it's not at all a stretch to say Avery deserves over 2.5 million.

It's just pain.
Old
07-24-2007, 10:22 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I hear where you're coming from. But in a market where Ruslan Fedotenko (28 years old, 32 points last season) gets 3 mil and Raffi Torres (26yo, 34 points) gets 2.5 mil a season, it's not at all a stretch to say Avery deserves over 2.5 million.
nyrk2k - you completley got me!!! i forgot about the Fedortenko signing

YOu are spot on, if he gets that much (well done isles!!!) then Avery indeed deserves the 3(ish) million discussed.

Unfortuanately, shocking signings like the Fedoretnko one and the Torres push up the money for genuinely good players like Avery.

Someone should get Charles Wang and Garth Snow out ASAP!!!

Old
07-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Levitate

At least Torres can be a good player. He broke 20 goals in each of his first 3 full NHL seasons. Last year, he just sucked along with the rest of the Oilers.

I'm pretty "meh" about the Fedotenko thing.

Old
07-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
3m is too much at this point of Avery's career. He needs to appreciate the set up he has here and is in a place where his career (and his girlfriend's!!!) can really take off!!!
It's all about $. at girlfriend's argument.
Quote:
2million a year for 3 years and he can have the big pay day once he's earnt it!
He did earn it. Last year was his career year. He scored more points the Cullen for instance. Every team in Atlantic hates him. Thats his game, he does it good. He wants to get paid.

Quote:
I love the guy but he shouldnt get greedy.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 07-24-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old
07-24-2007, 10:36 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Avery Arbitration Award Poll

We should attach a poll to this thread.

AVERY POLL

http://snappoll.com/poll/208852.php

what do you think he'll get?

I'll update the results as we go.

Old
07-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Felix the Cat

Quote:
nyrk2k - you completley got me!!! i forgot about the Fedortenko signing

YOu are spot on, if he gets that much (well done isles!!!) then Avery indeed deserves the 3(ish) million discussed.

Unfortuanately, shocking signings like the Fedoretnko one and the Torres push up the money for genuinely good players like Avery.

Someone should get Charles Wang and Garth Snow out ASAP!!!

You're worried about the isles giving Fedentnko too much??? Look how you much gave Gomez--he has scored over 20 goals once on 80 points once in his career. If anyone has screwed up the market for medicore talent, it is Sather and the Dolans

Old
07-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Renney=Savior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I could see him getting $2 mill, but over that is too much I think.
The guy was a game changer last year. 2 mil is not to much. He deserves more then that. I'd be happy if it's that low though.

Old
07-24-2007, 10:54 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYISLES81 View Post
You're worried about the isles giving Fedentnko too much??? Look how you much gave Gomez--he has scored over 20 goals once on 80 points once in his career. If anyone has screwed up the market for medicore talent, it is Sather and the Dolans
Being an Isles fan and facing the Devils as often as you do, you ought to know that Gomez is an elite playmaking center and his "low" point totals are the result of his teams style of play and a lackluster supporting cast. You make yourself sound silly when you call Gomez "mediocre talent."

Regardless, the point about Fedotenko was raised to illustrate how mid-range talent has been finding fat pay days this offseason. The Fedotenko signing wasn't too much; it was market value, it just seems to be too much. That was my point here, that Avery is likely to cash in similarly.

No one is trying to turn this into a "who ruined the market" thread, so you really need to not be so defensive and come looking for trouble over here.

Old
07-24-2007, 11:23 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Such bull.

Who opened the market and set a prescedent? THE FLYERS.

They were the first to set the mark with the contracts for Timmonen and Briere before Gomez was signed. That's the way the rest of the market played out.

Don't blame us (again) because no one wanted to sign with you because there were big dollars and big talent elsewhere.

Old
07-24-2007, 11:26 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

but does avery not have the hottest girlfriend in the league?! she is gorgeous!!!

Old
07-24-2007, 11:27 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Love Avery as much as the next guy, but he gets north of 2.5 Sather should walk.

He's not worth it.

Old
07-24-2007, 11:29 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

All votes are between 2 and 3 million. Sounds like everyone's on the same page here.

Old
07-24-2007, 11:36 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Love Avery as much as the next guy, but he gets north of 2.5 Sather should walk.

He's not worth it.
yea let him walk, and maybe the islanders will sign him no way i let him walk. if it means trading mara, malik to make room for avery than id keep avery, we dont have another player like him.

Old
07-24-2007, 11:37 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
I wouldnt say Gomez is mediocre talent. But even if, we got Drury too.

Old
07-24-2007, 11:49 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
yea let him walk, and maybe the islanders will sign him no way i let him walk. if it means trading mara, malik to make room for avery than id keep avery, we dont have another player like him.
no way you can let him walk, even if its 3.5

Old
07-24-2007, 11:52 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
no way you can let him walk, even if its 3.5
I'd be shocked if he got 3.5

3 would be the absolute max i could see him getting but ... stranger things have happened.

Old
07-24-2007, 11:53 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
The Mike Fisher we saw in the playoffs was way better than Avery... I think they are pretty much equal, Fish might be a little better, I love the way he plays. I know his brother, so I watch Fisher carefully every time they play the Rangers, he's a very good player.

I could see Sean getting 1-5-1.75, I'd be a little surprised if it got higher than that.

Old
07-24-2007, 12:02 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
What makes you say this? it took Fisher 6 years to get his 1st 20 goal season (22) which he repeated this year, on avery very good Ottawa team.

Avery didnt even play a full season in the NHL until 03/04 when he played 76 games for LA. Avery is equal to Fisher in terms of offensive talent as he has never had a chance offensively on a good side until this past year and he brings much more intimidation/annoyance and intangibles to the tabel than Fisher.

I like Fisher, but if his temperament can be controlled (and Renney has shown he can) then Avery has the better package.
Fisher is a better player than Avrey.

Doesn't matter how many years Fisher has been in the league. Avery is a few months older than Fisher.

Old
07-24-2007, 12:07 PM
NYR469

fedotenko's contract doesn't mean jack squat when it comes to avery's arbitration. in the cba it states that both sides can only use players in similar free agency status as comparisions. therefore avery can ONLY be compared to other RFAs. fedotenko was a UFA and therefore can't be used as a comparision.

THAT is why the vanek offer sheet has a potentially big impact on arbitration because guys like gomez, drury, briere, etc can't be used as comparisions but vanek as a rfa can be.

Old
07-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
I would love Sean Avery on the team, but after all the words and distaste that were shared last year between Nolan and Avery, I doubt he signs unless there is a MAJOR overpayment.

EDIT: I still hate him now though!

Last edited by Isles4ever11: 07-24-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old
07-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

avery is going to do this.

hes going to walk into the hearing, show them the rangers record before he came to the team, and after he came to the team. hes going to pull out all the newspaper articles and quotes where his teammates and coaches pointed to his arrival as teh turning point of the season. then the arbitrator is going to give him a 3+ million dollar contract.

Old
07-24-2007, 02:23 PM
shoothepuck

Avery is what he is and he deserves to be compensated for the intangables that he brings to the game. What the market price is (2mil?), and what Sather is willing to pay is the issue. He is valuable to the team, but at around the 3 mil mark, it would seem hard to see Sather forking it over.

Old
07-24-2007, 02:34 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
Avery is what he is and he deserves to be compensated for the intangables that he brings to the game. What the market price is (2mil?), and what Sather is willing to pay is the issue. He is valuable to the team, but at around the 3 mil mark, it would seem hard to see Sather forking it over.
Since Malik makes nearly 3 mil. It would be disgusting to walk on aAvery but keep Malik.

Old
07-24-2007, 02:34 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
fedotenko's contract doesn't mean jack squat when it comes to avery's arbitration. in the cba it states that both sides can only use players in similar free agency status as comparisions. therefore avery can ONLY be compared to other RFAs. fedotenko was a UFA and therefore can't be used as a comparision.

THAT is why the vanek offer sheet has a potentially big impact on arbitration because guys like gomez, drury, briere, etc can't be used as comparisions but vanek as a rfa can be.
You're right, and I didn't mean to imply that Fedo's contract would even be mentioned in the arbitration hearing. My point was just to show that the market is seeing heavily inflated salaries right now, and that Avery is likely to see a similar result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
I could see Sean getting 1-5-1.75, I'd be a little surprised if it got higher than that.
I'd be shocked if Avery was awarded anything less than 2.25 million.

Closed Thread