HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isn't today the day Avery and the Rangers

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2007, 06:31 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07302007...rry_brooks.htm

Avery is seeking/submitted $2.6 million as an award and the Rangers have submitted $1.3 million

And Avery's side is going to claim Avery is the second coming of Sidney Crosby and deserves a big raise

That's the way it works Sean.Grow up

So it's a business for Sean and can't be a business for the Rangers.OK
I like Avery, but . . . he has baggage. His past will continually be bought up until he refines his game & his mouth. If not true, why has he bounced around? 48 games do not make his change permanent. So what Sather stated is true. Avery wants big money he needs to mature.

Old
07-30-2007, 06:32 AM
Jim Ramsay

I don't really like what Slats said about Avery in the article. As much as I want him back it sounds to me like he's as good as gone

Old
07-30-2007, 06:55 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha15 View Post
I don't really like what Slats said about Avery in the article. As much as I want him back it sounds to me like he's as good as gone
Let's play this out.

What would you have said about Avery to win your case against him.

And what is Sather supposed to say?

As much as I bash Sather, he's right in this situation (not about his offer) but even that I understand.

Old
07-30-2007, 06:59 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Avery at 3 million??? that's a horrible contract for the Rangers and every other team out there. That's almost as bad as the Penner contract, at least Penner has a better upside.
I just was just talking hypothetical max for each of them..

Old
07-30-2007, 07:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
I like Avery, but . . . he has baggage. His past will continually be bought up until he refines his game & his mouth. If not true, why has he bounced around? 48 games do not make his change permanent. So what Sather stated is true. Avery wants big money he needs to mature.
I wouldn't go past two seasons with Avery.He is a very good player and was a major contributor to the Rangers but you can just tell something is going to go wrong which will wear out his welcome.He has some Terrell Owens in him.Before the Buffalo series,he said he was going to be in every Sabres players face.All night long.Every game.He turned in a pathetic effort.Instead of playing like a caged warrior,he played like a baby lamb

Old
07-30-2007, 08:15 AM
eco's bones

It's true that Sean didn't play well in the Sabres series or as well he could or should have. I would even say a number of Rangers picked their game up more--it was a competitive series. Avery brought an element to the team though that it really lacked and some of that is the big mouth and some of it lands him in the penalty box. That's part of his game. To me about 1.7 to 2.2 is the range he should fall in based on what he did last year. The low ball figure the Rangers submitted along with the commentary is not all that an unusual thing to see. The Rangers are kind of strapped and it's been rumored that they want to make other moves. It may hurt his feelings a bit but he's going to need to move on from it. Hopefully we'll see more of what he brought the team last year and he and the Rangers will work it out and sign him longer term for what he deserves.

Old
07-30-2007, 08:18 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
As much as what Sather said was wrong, I'm hoping that he's looking to keep Avery's salary down now and then signing him to a significant increase later.

Old
07-30-2007, 08:25 AM
NYR1724

I am not too confident about Avery wanting to sign long term with the Rangers. Players take the arbitration process very personal and I can see Avery doing two things. Being a huge distraction and proving the Rangers right in their assessment or having a career year and walking away after the season.

Old
07-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Kaktus*

I am not sure if this was already posted..
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8767

Old
07-30-2007, 08:51 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

This doesn't look good... Do I have to change my avatar?

07-30-2007, 08:59 AM
Levitate

It amazes me that Avery is surprised at all about what the Rangers said. It's arbitration...everyone knows that it turns into the team tearing down the player and about the player trumping himself up to look better than he really is.

It's less about what the Rangers really think of Avery and more about what they can convince the arbitrator. If they just said "yeah we like him a lot, he's a good player who helped spark our team to the playoffs. He's got a few rough edges here and there, but he's a valuable teammate" then they wouldn't get anywhere in arbitration.

So really...don't take it personally, Sean. The Rangers are just dealing with the salary cap and have to make it sound like you're not so great in the arbitration case in order to make the case even.

Old
07-30-2007, 09:04 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Just a thought... i know they are different players completely... but given the fact that Micheal Ryder accepted 2.9million to stay with the Habs can Avery expect to get near that realistically???

The reason i ask is that Ryder was a 30 goal, 58 point scorer and it was his 3rd(?) back to back 20 goal season. Like i said, different players and different circumstances but could their career numbers be used against each other?

How much influence will career production play a part in the arbitration decision?

Old
07-30-2007, 09:06 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
This is all part of why you want to avoid arbitration if you can.

I think Avery is in a tough spot. He does not put up great numbers. But that hardly tells the whole story.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 07-30-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old
07-30-2007, 09:26 AM
blue2noise

What is so hard about splitting the difference and giving the guy 2 mil for 2-3 years to avoid all of this?

Is Avery that much of a dick behind the scenes or something. This makes no sense to me at all.

Old
07-30-2007, 09:29 AM
NYROrtsFan

Avery has to realize that if they truly felt he was a detriment, he wouldn't be back...

This is just the business side of things and he can't take it personally.

Old
07-30-2007, 09:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Regarding that link to a blog by Garth,can we get the Rangers cap number/situation correct when speculating about Avery's future?

If the Rangers have concerns about Avery's maturity,he just made their case with his comments to Larry Brooks

Old
07-30-2007, 10:10 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Sather is going make Avery play in a contract year.

Good for the type of game Sean plays, especially since he has improved every year.

Theres a risk attached, but just another sign the Rangers are going for it

07-30-2007, 10:20 AM
SML

Out of the entire group we have here, Avery is the different breed of cat. He is the one most likely to read his own press clippings, he is the one most likely to look at what the other guys on the team are making and feel slighted by it. It's not a bad thing. Avery got where he is by having a huge ego and a cocky, arrogant attitude. If he loses that swagger, he's as good as gone from this league. I'm sure that Avery has heard alot of good people say bad things about him over the course of his career. The key is to get him under contract for this season, as it looks like we're gearing up for a decent shot at it all. After that, you reassess the situation with him, coax his ego, tell him you were wrong, how big a part of the team he is. How it was all capology and you did what you had to do because if the arbitrator really saw how awesome you are, we wouldn't have been able to keep you. Avery is a really nice player at his price. Once you go crazy and start letting this guy think he's worth 3+, the reward goes down considerably. He has never impressed me as the typre that would ever take one for the team and offer a hometeam discount. So he may be walking anyway. In that case, put the cards on the table. Maybe you say some things that turn him into a better player.

Old
07-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Sather is going make Avery play in a contract year.

Good for the type of game Sean plays, especially since he has improved every year.

Theres a risk attached, but just another sign the Rangers are going for it
Yea, as much as I love Avery I'd accept a season of him giving his all en route to an NYR cup win, his price going way up and leaving as a UFA.

Old
07-30-2007, 10:27 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

well thats the risk. If he's giving 110% everynight and playing on a line with guys who can make offense happen his numbers will go up.

If he continues to be a pain in the other teams ass while playing smarter on a team everyones watching......

He'll be getting attention next summer. Hell hed get it this year if he was FA.

Lots of teams would love to get the maturing Sean Avery

Old
07-30-2007, 10:35 AM
TheHotRock

relax about avery, hes not gonna do anythign too stupid, its ognna be a co ntract year, he's gonna be playing on a talented second line, and the dude is gonna want his money next summer. i cant see him acting like a ******* because that will only lower his value. plus, theres plenty of veterans in the locker room to keep him in check

Old
07-30-2007, 10:39 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
I hate arbitration!!!!!!!!! Maybe this could be a ploy by Slats to drive down the possibile contract of Avery, but only to sign him to a deal that won't be over the top, but significantly higher than what NYR is looking for.

Old
07-30-2007, 10:54 AM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
Fisher > Avery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Avery: 18G, 30A, 48P
Fisher: 22G, 26A, 48P

They're both 27. Avery is more of an agitator, Fisher is more well-versed in the defensive aspects (not saying Avery isn't). Overall, they are damn comparable players. Care to elaborate?
I hate Avery with a passion, but Avery > Fisher, not the other way around. Similar stats, but Avery can change the entire tenor of a game, and make the opposing team divert from their gameplan and play to him, in ways Fisher simply does not. Avery is pretty unique. An A hole, but a one of kind A hole.

Old
07-30-2007, 10:55 AM
ThisYearsModel

This is what arbitration is all about. Sean requested the arbitration. In truth, all he has to do is have an effective first half and the Rangers will sign him to a longer term deal.

Old
07-30-2007, 11:02 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post
I hate Avery with a passion, but Avery > Fisher, not the other way around. Similar stats, but Avery can change the entire tenor of a game, and make the opposing team divert from their gameplan and play to him, in ways Fisher simply does not. Avery is pretty unique. An A hole, but a one of kind A hole.
Uhhhh, no.

I would trade Avery for Fischer in a HEARTBEAT.

You're seriously underrating Fischer.

Closed Thread