HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Potulny or Ruzicka?

Old
07-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

vCash: 71
Potulny or Ruzicka?

Who will make the team? Or better yet, who will out play the other? They each know one will likely have to beat out the other for ice time with the Flyers. Holgren has called Ruzicka the most skilled player on the team before and Potulny was a goal scoring wizard with the Gophers. Who will step up this year?

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 12:15 AM
Lupul*

vCash: 500
I like Ruzicka better when he tries.

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 12:16 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
I'm a huge fan of Potulny. I really think he can deliver the goods of he is given some ice time. Ruzicka is a bit too streaky.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 12:27 AM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

vCash: 71
I like Potulny too. He was amazing in Minnesota, but Ruzicka is really skilled.

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 04:49 AM
Jester

looks like both are going to have a year in the AHL to see what they can do.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 07:15 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
let them rip up the ahl. with boucher in net and a solid top 6 d phantoms have a good team coming togetehr

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 07:33 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

I like Ruzicka much better, and he has a better chance of playing on the big club this year - he earned another shot last year. We'll see.

Knowing the Flyers' luck, they'll trade Potulny and Ruzicka to Ottawa for Denis Hamel to give them a chance to play, then the next week Umberger, Carter, Richards, Upshall, Lupul and Knuble will get hurt.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Kaktus*

I like both but I think one of them is lazy or shoudl I saw not putting 100% effort.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 07:44 AM
mitchell_neif*

I think both will spend most of the season in the AHL until people start getting injured. I like both and see both being contributers in the NHL in the future.

mitchell_neif* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 08:06 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
I think Potulny has a better chance to make the team because he is a center, and Ruzicka has a lot more guys to beat out if he wants to make the team. I don't know if either one will make it though.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 08:17 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
knowing this team's injury history, there's a decent chance one or both of them will be called up as a replacement sometime during the year. i like rosie but his inconsistencies worry me. i think potulny is the safer bet between the two.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 09:17 AM
BringBackStevens

Ruzicka for me. At least now. I think Potulny needs A LOT of AHL time to play at his potential in the NHL

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 11:13 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
I like Ruzicka a lot better. Though I don't know that either really benifit from playing on the 4th line. For fourth line duty though I would rather Potulny.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 11:44 AM
chromemaro

vCash: 50
I liked potunly better, but we have to sign him first.

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 12:51 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromemaro View Post
I liked potunly better, but we have to sign him first.
He's not going anywhere. People need to stop worrying about this.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
He's not going anywhere. People need to stop worrying about this.
Depends on what kind of money and contract he's looking for, i.e. one or two way. It might be in his best interests to move on if he doesn't think he'll get a chance to play.

A lot depends on RJ and the goon spot. If RJ is 4C, then Potulny will have to battle Ruzicka for playing time on a wing - and he doesn't have as much experience at it. If RJ is 3LW, then there might be room for RP at 4C.

Old
07-25-2007, 01:18 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Depends on what kind of money and contract he's looking for, i.e. one or two way. It might be in his best interests to move on if he doesn't think he'll get a chance to play.

A lot depends on RJ and the goon spot. If RJ is 4C, then Potulny will have to battle Ruzicka for playing time on a wing - and he doesn't have as much experience at it. If RJ is 3LW, then there might be room for RP at 4C.
He's a restricted free agent. RFAs don't really get much leverage, especially when they're borderline NHL players to begin with. Either he signs the offer we give him, or he doesn't play at all. He doesn't have the option of moving on.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 07:27 PM
lancer247

rosie is a career AHLer...while he may have good skills he isn't good enough for top 6 minutes on a good team and his game doesn't play well on third or fourth lines...he isn't especially fast, doesn't have a particularly good shot, and isn't physical...his best attribute is his vision but that isn't great...

potulny at the very least can develop into a very good 4th line center...he is responsible defensively and doesn't lose interest with limtied ice time...i also think he will be a good goal scorer...seems to be in position for loose pucks that give him good scoring chances...he should probably get some time at wing w/ phantoms to see if he can play their at next level...

ideally, both will play most season in AHL to get quality ice time but i can see potulny playing 4th line center

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:47 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
Ruzicka for me. At least now. I think Potulny needs A LOT of AHL time to play at his potential in the NHL
Why do you say that? He looked pretty good in the NHL last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
rosie is a career AHLer...while he may have good skills he isn't good enough for top 6 minutes on a good team and his game doesn't play well on third or fourth lines...he isn't especially fast, doesn't have a particularly good shot, and isn't physical...his best attribute is his vision but that isn't great...

potulny at the very least can develop into a very good 4th line center...he is responsible defensively and doesn't lose interest with limtied ice time...i also think he will be a good goal scorer...seems to be in position for loose pucks that give him good scoring chances...he should probably get some time at wing w/ phantoms to see if he can play their at next level...

ideally, both will play most season in AHL to get quality ice time but i can see potulny playing 4th line center
I think Potulny will develop into a good third liner (15-20g 40p). His ceiling in my mind would be a decent 2nd liner 30 goals cause he just seems to have that nose for the net. I do think he will be an NHL player though. Every team always needs some smart balanced players in their bottom 6 that can take a regular shift and he should at least be that.

As for Ruzicka, the guy has more pure skill then Potulny, but doesnt appear to have the desire or mental part of the game, at least not yet. Plus, we are really deep on the wings. Best case scenario is he lights up the AHL and we trade him.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:51 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Why do you say that? He looked pretty good in the NHL last year
I don't think so. Really all he does well is shoot the puck. I think Rosie looked way better in his time up here. If Rosie can keep his work ethic as high as it was in Rookie camp a few weeks ago he can be a really good player. He has a much better package of skills than Potulny

Old
07-26-2007, 12:01 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
I don't think so. Really all he does well is shoot the puck. I think Rosie looked way better in his time up here. If Rosie can keep his work ethic as high as it was in Rookie camp a few weeks ago he can be a really good player. He has a much better package of skills than Potulny
I agree that Rosie has a better package of skills, but from what I saw I thought Potulny looked much better then Rosie.

I know numbers dont tell the whole story, but Potulny was on pace for about 20 goals in his rookie year, on a terrible team, and not much ice time. I like the fact that he had 2 GWG and his shooting % was tied for 3rd on the team. He is a better two way player. Was actually one of the few plus players on this team, but that could be related to playing time somewhat. I know numbers dont tell the whole story, but Potulny's were much better IMO. Ruzicka was just invisible to me at times where I usually noticed Potulny.

Player Position GP G A PTS +/- PPG SHG GWG OTG PIM SH PCT
Stefan Ruzicka RW 40 3 10 13 -6 1 0 0 0 18 75 4.0
Ryan Potulny C 35 7 5 12 1 0 0 2 0 22 56 12.5

Hey, we can agree to disagree. Maybe we didnt watch the same games

Last edited by mikedifr: 07-26-2007 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
07-26-2007, 12:17 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I agree that Rosie has a better package of skills, but from what I saw I thought Potulny looked much better then Rosie.

I know numbers dont tell the whole story, but Potulny was on pace for about 20 goals in his rookie year, on a terrible team, and not much ice time. I like the fact that he had 2 GWG and his shooting % was tied for 3rd on the team. He is a better two way player. Was actually one of the few plus players on this team, but that could be related to playing time somewhat. I know numbers dont tell the whole story, but Potulny's were much better IMO. Ruzicka was just invisible to me at times where I usually noticed Potulny.

Player Position GP G A PTS +/- PPG SHG GWG OTG PIM SH PCT
Stefan Ruzicka RW 40 3 10 13 -6 1 0 0 0 18 75 4.0
Ryan Potulny C 35 7 5 12 1 0 0 2 0 22 56 12.5

Hey, we can agree to disagree. Maybe we didnt watch the same games
I can't say you are wrong, both of these players are wild cards IMO. You certainly are siding with the more popular opinion on this one. I think Rosie has gotten a raw deal with the fans here. Because his playing style isn't balls to the wall and physical, he's deemed a lazy player. I personally don't buy into that. I also feel like posters around here over hype Potulny's defensive prowess, which IMO, isn't anything to write home about either. Neither players fit a shutdown role anyway, neither are bangers or energy type players for a 4th line. Neither are good at faceoffs. Take that all into account, and i'll take the player with the higher offensive upside, and the one that can create plays on his own 9 times out of 10.

Just my opinion.

Old
07-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
I can't say you are wrong, both of these players are wild cards IMO. You certainly are siding with the more popular opinion on this one. I think Rosie has gotten a raw deal with the fans here. Because his playing style isn't balls to the wall and physical, he's deemed a lazy player. I personally don't buy into that. I also feel like posters around here over hype Potulny's defensive prowess, which IMO, isn't anything to write home about either. Neither players fit a shutdown role anyway, neither are bangers or energy type players for a 4th line. Neither are good at faceoffs. Take that all into account, and i'll take the player with the higher offensive upside, and the one that can create plays on his own 9 times out of 10.
I thought Ruzicka distinguished himself with his ability to carry the puck up ice to lead the 2nd PP unit. He's got enough speed and size, and feistiness to play in the NHL, and he's got more than enough skill - good shot, great passing touch.

He plays a controlled game instead of running around like a chicken with his head cut off, so people think that's lazy. Plenty of times, if you watched, he made really good D plays on the backcheck, taking the right man, etc.

Potulny's got a good scoring touch and instincts, and he can handle the puck in close quarters.

Rosie and Potulny are both in the same boat: they need to get another chance and they need to produce when they do. As I said before, it depends if they are looking at RJ as the 3LW with Richards or as 4C behind him, and also whether they acquire a full time goon or just go with a parttimer like Cote or Grant.

Old
07-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:

Just my opinion.
I'm going to agree with you, kz. I like Ruzicka's game better. Our offense sorely lacks creativity (or at least it did last year) and that's something that Rosie brings. Potulny's game is very simple and seemingly one-dimensional and I'm wondering if he ever cracks this roster. Of course one can wonder the same about Ruzicka as well but I feel he has a better chance of producing solid numbers down the line if he keeps his work ethic high.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 07:33 PM
mikedifr

Quote:

Just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I'm going to agree with you, kz. I like Ruzicka's game better. Our offense sorely lacks creativity (or at least it did last year) and that's something that Rosie brings. Potulny's game is very simple and seemingly one-dimensional and I'm wondering if he ever cracks this roster. Of course one can wonder the same about Ruzicka as well but I feel he has a better chance of producing solid numbers down the line if he keeps his work ethic high.

BOTH OPINIONS ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SPEAKING FACT

I definitely agree that Ruzicka has much more pure skill. Unfortunately, that doesnt always mean success. Ruzicka has had a few chances now, Potulny came up and impressed on his first. Either way, it isnt likely any of them see much valuable time this year.

Like KZ said, Ruzicka has gotten a raw deal from cause of his style of play, which is my same fear with Lupul. Pure offensive players just typically dont work out with this organization for some reason.