HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expected Lines to start 2007

Old
07-25-2007, 10:47 AM
TomHBlain

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TomHBlain
Expected Lines to start 2007

A lot of changes in the offseason with all the free agents and a few rookies who are expected to be on the team. What are the expected lines assuming Mike Cammaleri re-signs.

Sorry if this has been posted already.

TomHBlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 11:16 AM
dbbourn

What I would like to see:

Frolov-Kopitar-Brown
Nagy-Handzus-Cammelleri
Calder-O'Sullivan-Thornton
Ivanans/Zeiler-Armstrong-Willsie

Visnovsky-Stuart
Blake-Johnson
Modry-Preissing

LaBarbera
Cloutier(if he flops early = one way ticket to Manchester)

dbbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Johnny Utah

Cammy-Kopitar-Brown
Frolov-Handzus-Nagy
Calder-Armstrong-O'Sullivan
Willsie-Zeiler-Thornton

extra: Ivanans

Things could change. O'Sullivan needs to solidify that spot, someone like Willsie could end up on waivers, a rookie like Purcell or Moulson could impress.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 11:25 AM
sandbox

Frig man the kings are going to be sickkkk this year- They just need to find themselves a goalie.

sandbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

As with any roster, there are a lot of "ifs" (Handzus coming off injury, Stuart and Calder coming off terrible seasons, the lack of a true shutdown defender, etc.) but this looks like it could be a very fun team to watch next season.

Though it makes complete sense to have Nagy and Handzus on the same line, I hope Crow at least tries out Kopitar and Nagy together. Nagy's playmaking ability combined with Anze's finishing could make for a deadly combination.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
As with any roster, there are a lot of "ifs" (Handzus coming off injury, Stuart and Calder coming off terrible seasons, the lack of a true shutdown defender, etc.) but this looks like it could be a very fun team to watch next season.

Though it makes complete sense to have Nagy and Handzus on the same line, I hope Crow at least tries out Kopitar and Nagy together. Nagy's playmaking ability combined with Anze's finishing could make for a deadly combination.

Anze needs a finisher with him. Wouldn't be surprised if the power play had Kopitar, Nagy, Cammy or Frolov.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 11:38 AM
RightKinger

Three scoring lines -

Power forward - Playmaking center - Scorer

Kyle Calder - Anze Kopitar - Mike Cammalleri
Alexander Frolov - Michal Handzus - Ladislav Nagy
Dustin Brown - Derek Armstrong - Patrick O'Sullivan

and an energy line -

Brian Willsie - Scott Thornton - Ivanans/Zeiler

Forwards

Calder-Kopitar-Cammalleri

Cammalleri is a legit sniper for Kopitar to play with. Cammalleri played with Armstrong and Frolov for most of last season so if injuries hit or if some players don't mesh then that line can always be reunited. Calder should rebound by playing with Kopitar. They played together during the lockout and they are familiar with each others games. Brown will replace Calder on this line if he can't produce.

Frolov-Handzus-Nagy

All three of these guys are good playmakers but they can also put the puck in the net. Handzus and Nagy are fellow countrymen that have played well together in the past. I'm not too sure about this line but Handzus and Frolov are both responsible defensively and hopefully Nagy will be a little more motivated this season. If he plays like the old Nagy then this line could be very dangerous.

O'Sullivan-Armstrong-Brown

The Kings will probably roll three scoring lines this season. Armstrong played very well in between Frolov and Cammalleri last season. He is a very good playmaker and he will have two young guys to work with in brown and O'Sullivan. O'Sullivan and brown have played with each other in the past. Brown adds physicality and he improved his defensive game last season. Look for one or both of them to improve and maybe even break out next season by playing with Armstrong. If Nagy struggles in the top 6 then O'Sullivan will replace him and if Calder struggles on the top line Brown will replace him.

Willsie-Thornton-Zeiler/Ivanans

The fourth line will see limited action. They will be more of a crash and bang line than a checking line. Zeiler will play when the Kings need more speed and physicality in the lineup and Ivanans will play when they need toughness. For the first time in a long time the Kings have plenty of depth at the forward position so if a few guys don't work out or if they go down with injuries it won't cripple the team.

Defense

Stuart-Visnovsky

Stuart could be a great partner for Visnovsky. Stuart is now more defensive minded than offensive. Being traded to the Flames could be the best thing that happened to this guy. The coaches in Calgary told him to mostly concentrate on D and that really helped him play better. Stuart is coming to the west coast where he has always wanted to be. He could finally break out playing in LA with less media scrutiny and with less pressure to score. He is still good for 30 PTS but he will mostly be relied on to provide some physicality and play good D. Lubo has played with Modry in the past but he probably won't be paired with him this time around (I hope). If Stuart struggles then Preissing will replace him and Brad will be bumped to the bottom pairing.

Johnson-Blake

Rob Blake is JJ's idol and Lombardi has said before that he would like to see Blake mentor Johnson. The Kings have good depth on D so this will allow them to be patient with JJ and bring him along nice and slow instead of throwing him out there to play on the top pairing every night. Johnson will learn a lot from Blake but Blake will probably have to step back and let JJ do most of the attacking. Blake will need to take on more of a defensive role.

Modry-Preissing

Modry and Preissing can both step into a top 4 role if needed. Both of them are capable offensively. Preissing is as good in his own zone as he is in the offensive zone. Modry is a little bit of a question mark in his own zone and I wouldn't be surprised to see a rookie (Piskula/Harrold) replace him during the season.

x: Harrold-Dallman

Goaltending

LaBarbera
Cloutier

The Kings will score goals this season and the defense has the potential to be top 10 in the league. On paper they look like a playoff team but the goaltending could stop them from doing well with two question marks in net. You can't expect Cloutier to rebound although there is a slight chance that he might with this being the second year after surgery. He wasn't 100% last season so he might play better this year but don't count on it. Ersberg is also a wildcard.

LaBarbera had a few flashes of brilliance when he played with the Kings in '05-'06 but Garon slowly won the #1 job and LaBarbera missed a lot of time with some personal issues. He had a great season in the AHL last season and he probably received better instruction from the new goalie coach (Bill Ranford). If and this is a big IF LaBarbera does play well then the Kings could be a very dangerous team. I'm confident in his abilities and I think he will pove himself this season. Lets just hope that injuries or Cloutier don't get in the way.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 11:48 AM
eckseL

Send a message via AIM to eckseL
brown-kopitar-cammy
frolov-handzus-nagy
calder-armstrong-o'sullivan
willsie-thornton-ivanans/zeiler

blake-johnson
visnovsky-modry
preissing-stuart

maybe dallman or harrold

labarbera
cloutier/ersberg

eckseL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 12:30 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

still rolling my scoring line, checking/scoring line, a strong scoring third line, and the typical fourth. i went into depth on all these lines in another thread a couple weeks ago, so i'll just explain my defense pairings.

frolov-kopitar-nagy
cammalleri-handzus-brown
calder-armstrong-o'sullivan
zeiler-thornton-ivanans

visnovsky-preissing. tom is far and away the next best offensive d-man we have besides lubo. these two will go great together - both can put the puck in the net and are defensively sound. preissing was third in the league last year in +/- behind vanek and alfreddson.
blake-stuart. obvious.
johnson-modry. i really don't understand why everyone has immediately penciled johnson as a top four defenseman next season. he's much better on that last pairing, and of course, if he earns it he can easily be bumped up. but the kid is still young and looked like a deer caught in the headlights in his first nhl game last season. throw him into a top four d-man position next year right off the bat and you'll regret it; mark my words. let him develop with a little less ice time, and if he's ready to go at midseason, move him up. a lot of kings's fans have really overrated the player he is right now. he's still a prospect, not a proven defensemen, give him time.

labarbera
cloutier

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 01:19 PM
eckseL

kingswillwin... i totally agree with you about johnsons' ice time but i don't see him playing much with modry. i think he'll have limited shifts with blake and maybe preissing. I also don't expect much from him either although i wouldn't be suprised to see good improvement midway through the season, but even that would be pushing it. There's a lot of pressure on the kid however i'm not expecting much anytime soon. Man! longest summer ever!

Old
07-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Crawford is still the coach, right? You won't see the same line twice.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Cammy-Kopitar-Brown
Frolov-Handzus-Nagy
Willsie-Zeiler-Thornton

extra: Ivanans

Things could change. O'Sullivan needs to solidify that spot, someone like Willsie could end up on waivers, a rookie like Purcell or Moulson could impress.

Somebody must have stolen Johnny's login info.

As previously posted (assuming no further player movement):

1. The F*СК line
2. The KLM line
3. The BOA line
4. The ZIT line

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 01:38 PM
NomadFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswillwinthecup View Post
johnson-modry. i really don't understand why everyone has immediately penciled johnson as a top four defenseman next season. he's much better on that last pairing, and of course, if he earns it he can easily be bumped up. but the kid is still young and looked like a deer caught in the headlights in his first nhl game last season. throw him into a top four d-man position next year right off the bat and you'll regret it; mark my words. let him develop with a little less ice time, and if he's ready to go at midseason, move him up. a lot of kings's fans have really overrated the player he is right now. he's still a prospect, not a proven defensemen, give him time.
I think it's because playing along side an all-star, former Norris trophy winner will be leaps and bounds better for Johnson's development as opposed to pairing him with Modry. Like you say, he's still raw talent, and it'd be better for someone like Blake to cover for him while simultaneously "showing him the ropes."

Not sure what Modry could show Johnson that Blake couldn't...

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Malice430

brown is good, but hes not first-line good

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 02:07 PM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
Three scoring lines -

Power forward - Playmaking center - Scorer

Kyle Calder - Anze Kopitar - Mike Cammalleri
Alexander Frolov - Michal Handzus - Ladislav Nagy
Dustin Brown - Derek Armstrong - Patrick O'Sullivan

and an energy line -

Brian Willsie - Scott Thornton - Ivanans/Zeiler

Forwards

Cammalleri is a legit sniper for Kopitar to play with. Cammalleri played with Armstrong and Frolov for most of last season so if injuries hit or if some players don't mesh then that line can always be reunited. Calder should rebound by playing with Kopitar. They played together during the lockout and they are familiar with each others games. Brown will replace Calder on this line if he can't produce.

Frolov-Handzus-Nagy

All three of these guys are good playmakers but they can also put the puck in the net. Handzus and Nagy are fellow countrymen that have played well together in the past. I'm not too sure about this line but Handzus and Frolov are both responsible defensively and hopefully Nagy will be a little more motivated this season. If he plays like the old Nagy then this line could be very dangerous.

O'Sullivan-Armstrong-Brown

The Kings will probably roll three scoring lines this season. Armstrong played very well in between Frolov and Cammalleri last season. He is a very good playmaker and he will have two young guys to work with in brown and O'Sullivan. O'Sullivan and brown have played with each other in the past. Brown adds physicality and he improved his defensive game last season. Look for one or both of them to improve and maybe even break out next season by playing with Armstrong. If Nagy struggles in the top 6 then O'Sullivan will replace him and if Calder struggles on the top line Brown will replace him.

Willsie-Thornton-Zeiler/Ivanans

The fourth line will see limited action. They will be more of a crash and bang line than a checking line. Zeiler will play when the Kings need more speed and physicality in the lineup and Ivanans will play when they need toughness. For the first time in a long time the Kings have plenty of depth at the forward position so if a few guys don't work out or if they go down with injuries it won't cripple the team.

Defense

Stuart-Visnovsky

Stuart could be a great partner for Visnovsky. Stuart is now more defensive minded than offensive. Being traded to the Flames could be the best thing that happened to this guy. The coaches in Calgary told him to mostly concentrate on D and that really helped him play better. Stuart is coming to the west coast where he has always wanted to be. He could finally break out playing in LA with less media scrutiny and with less pressure to score. He is still good for 30 PTS but he will mostly be relied on to provide some physicality and play good D. Lubo has played with Modry in the past but he probably won't be paired with him this time around (I hope). If Stuart struggles then Preissing will replace him and Brad will be bumped to the bottom pairing.

Johnson-Blake

Rob Blake is JJ's idol and Lombardi has said before that he would like to see Blake mentor Johnson. The Kings have good depth on D so this will allow them to be patient with JJ and bring him along nice and slow instead of throwing him out there to play on the top pairing every night. Johnson will learn a lot from Blake but Blake will probably have to step back and let JJ do most of the attacking. Blake will need to take on more of a defensive role.

Modry-Preissing

Modry and Preissing can both step into a top 4 role if needed. Both of them are capable offensively. Preissing is as good in his own zone as he is in the offensive zone. Modry is a little bit of a question mark in his own zone and I wouldn't be surprised to see a rookie (Piskula/Harrold) replace him during the season.

x: Harrold-Dallman

Goaltending

LaBarbera
Cloutier

The Kings will score goals this season and the defense has the potential to be top 10 in the league. On paper they look like a playoff team but the goaltending could stop them from doing well with two question marks in net. You can't expect Cloutier to rebound although there is a slight chance that he might with this being the second year after surgery. He wasn't 100% last season so he might play better this year but don't count on it. Ersberg is also a wildcard.

LaBarbera had a few flashes of brilliance when he played with the Kings in '05-'06 but Garon slowly won the #1 job and LaBarbera missed a lot of time with some personal issues. He had a great season in the AHL last season and he probably received better instruction from the new goalie coach (Bill Ranford). If and this is a big IF LaBarbera does play well then the Kings could be a very dangerous team. I'm confident in his abilities and I think he will pove himself this season. Lets just hope that injuries or Cloutier don't get in the way.
I love your posts gives me even more confidence.

God, I hope we get a #1 Goalie

JPFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 03:52 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Assuming that all the top 3 lines get fairly equal time, I'll have a slightly different outlook (though I'll probably be the most off. Oh well):

Calder - Kopitar - Cammalleri
Calder and Kopitar played together in Sodertalje, and Cammalleri with his smaller stature is supplemented with two good-sized forwards

Nagy - Handzus - Brown
Like the other first line, you have a sniper and powerforward along with a big center. I think it's pretty much a given that Handzus and Nagy will be together.

Frolov - Armstrong - O'Sullivan
Frolov will probably be getting a lot of time on the PK and PP, so I feel this "third line designation" as justifiable, even though I'm working under the assumption that all 3 lines are fairly equal. Frolov can create a lot of space and is responsible defensively; Armstrong knows how to dish the puck, and O'Sullivan can shoot to his heart's content.

Willsie - Thornton - Ivanans/Zeiler
A typical energy line. No need to further explain.

Those are the forward lines, at least. I'm too lazy to do the defense.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Assuming that all the top 3 lines get fairly equal time, I'll have a slightly different outlook (though I'll probably be the most off. Oh well):

Calder - Kopitar - Cammalleri
Calder and Kopitar played together in Sodertalje, and Cammalleri with his smaller stature is supplemented with two good-sized forwards
psst. Calder is 5'11".

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Osprey

Roughly what I "expect" on opening night (not necessarily what I want):

Nagy-Kopitar-Brown
Frolov-Armstrong-Cammalleri
Calder-Handzus-O'Sullivan
Zeiler-Thornton-Willsie
Ivanans

Visnovsky-Modry
Blake-Johnson
Stuart-Preissing
Dallman

That said, expect some of the lines (especially the ones with the new guys) to be different by the time that they play their first game in North America.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
I expect....

Brown-Kopitar-Nagy
Frolov-Handzus-Cammalleri
Ivanans-Z-Thornton

Visnovsky-Stuart
Blake-Johnson
Modry-Preissing

(The only pairing of these 6 that I don't see happening all year is Modry-Johnson. Even when injuries occur, I don't think these two will play together.)

The forward lines should stay together for a period or two.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 05:11 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
more importantly, are the powerplay units and the pk pairings. that's where it really shakes out. Who gets 20 minutes a game, and who gets 14...

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 05:31 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFan24 View Post
psst. Calder is 5'11".
Odd. I always thought he was bigger. Oops, thanks

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 06:31 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoSoupy View Post
more importantly, are the powerplay units and the pk pairings. that's where it really shakes out. Who gets 20 minutes a game, and who gets 14...
They would probably be similar to the line combos but Cammalleri will probably have to play point once in a while so O'Sullivan and Brown can get some PP time. Here is how I would have them set up -

PP #1

Visnovsky-Preissing

Calder can be the front of the net presence while Kopitar is the passer and Cammalleri is the sniper. Preissing gets the PP time over Stuart since Stuart gets more ice time on even strength. Preissing is mostly a passer so he can feed the puck to Visnovsky.

Brad Stuart has never recieved #1 unit PP time anytime in his career so if he plays with Visnovsky instead of Preissing it might help him "break out". This is a little weird. The Kings have TOO MANY good players to fit on the PP when it's usually the other way around.

PP #2

Frolov-Handzus-Nagy
Blake-Preissing

Handzus usually plays in front of the net on the PP so he would be a good target for Frolov to pass to. Handzus is the front of the net presence while Frolov is the passer and Nagy is the sniper on this unit. Personally I would rather have Stuart on the second unit over Blake but I know it probably won't happen.

I will be EXTREMELY pissed if Modry gets a minute of PP time or if Armstrong gets PP time over any of the players that I listed above.

PK #1

Handzus-Kopitar
Stuart-Preissing

Handzus and Kopitar are both HUGE. They are similar in that they aren't very physical but they are far from soft. They are both centers so it might be smarter to split them up on the two PK units. They can both take faceoffs and if I remember correctly this was an area of weakness for the Kings last season.

Stuart is physical and he plays good stick on stick D. Preissing makes smart decisions with the puck and he is bigger than Visnovsky. I would probably put Blake here but I don't think he will be seperated from JMFJ.

PK #2

Frolov-Brown
Blake-Johnson

Brown improved his defensive game last season and I thought he played well on the PK. Frolov is Frolov so we know what we'll get from him. Johnson might be a bit of a liability to start the season but I have no doubt that he will adjust. I really like both PK units because they both have plenty of size. I think this will be the most improved part of the Kings next season.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 11:55 PM
spudboy

The good news is: They actually have 9 guys who should play on the top 3 lines. I don't care where they put them, it looks like a solid team no matter what.

spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:50 AM
eckseL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice430 View Post
brown is good, but hes not first-line good
well... he did have very good chemistry with kopitar and cammy, and kopitar is our first line center. regardless, we'll more than likely see all the wingers bouncing around throughout the season.

Old
07-26-2007, 12:29 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbourn View Post
What I would like to see:

Frolov-Kopitar-Brown
Nagy-Handzus-Cammelleri
Calder-O'Sullivan-Thornton
Ivanans/Zeiler-Armstrong-Willsie

Visnovsky-Stuart
Blake-Johnson
Modry-Preissing

LaBarbera
Cloutier(if he flops early = one way ticket to Manchester)
Where does Alyn Mccauley fit into the mix, or is gone already or toast??

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote