HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

New Jersey/San Jose proposal

Old
07-27-2007, 10:02 AM
devilsrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
To New Jersey:

-Patrick Marleau
-3rd round pick

To San Jose:

-Travis Zajac
-Andy Greene

thoughts?
switch 3rd to 2nd and Green with White and we have a deal.

devilsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDevils3 View Post
Unusually fair trade proposal... that both teams wouldn't do.
Well said. It's at least refreshing to see a decent proposal around here.

good job Passchendaele

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Angelo25

san jose can get more for marleau

Angelo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo25 View Post
Who's going to offer more than a great young player who has Rod Brind'Amour written all over him, in addition to a potential top four d-man, for a soon to be UFA?

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo25 View Post
Maybe if they sign him to an extention first. You're not going to get a top 6 forward and a top 4 now, potentially top 2 d-man for a guy that's going to be a UFA in a year.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 03:53 AM
druncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsrule23 View Post
NO! NO! NO! Horrible deal! Two great guys that are the Devils future for a guy who will walk next season? Wait til next year, let the cap go up, and sign him next season. Enough said.
brilliant idea! instead of trading for him, we'll just sign him when he becomes a free agent next year! that way, we won't have to give up any players.

there is absolutely no possibility that any of the other teams looking to land a top-line center have thought of this! it's practically a done deal.

druncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 08:52 AM
devilsrock

to nj: semenov & marleau
to sj: white & elias

devilsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 09:47 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
To New Jersey:

-Patrick Marleau
-3rd round pick

To San Jose:

-Travis Zajac
-Andy Greene

thoughts?
NJ needs to get younger. They are not going to give up young assets for an older player. They, NJ, have had some recent bad drafts where they got little or no value. They are attempting to rebuild while still maintaining a competitive team. The last thing they need is a trade for a player that could leave after a year. It makes zero sense for them. The alternative is to do the deal and sign Marleau, but for how much and how long? Again, you are trading younger players for an older player who will earn big bucks vs two young players who make far less. Unless you are receiving a world class, top flight player in return, these kind of deals will not happen in the current cap environment. Of course there is always the stupidity index that could come in to play, but I doubt it will happen in this case. Try calling Bobby Clarke and see if Philly will do it.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Try calling Bobby Clarke and see if Philly will do it.
Except Clarke isn't Philly's GM anymore....

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
NJ needs to get younger. They are not going to give up young assets for an older player. They, NJ, have had some recent bad drafts where they got little or no value. They are attempting to rebuild while still maintaining a competitive team. The last thing they need is a trade for a player that could leave after a year. It makes zero sense for them. The alternative is to do the deal and sign Marleau, but for how much and how long? Again, you are trading younger players for an older player who will earn big bucks vs two young players who make far less. Unless you are receiving a world class, top flight player in return, these kind of deals will not happen in the current cap environment. Of course there is always the stupidity index that could come in to play, but I doubt it will happen in this case. Try calling Bobby Clarke and see if Philly will do it.
This is a not a good deal for NJ, agreed, but can we stop with the 'NJ needs to get younger BS? They're getting big contributions from players like Zajac and Parise, and will see guys like Clarkson and Pelley make the team this year. Aside from Matvichuk, all of their defenseman are below 30 years of age.

There is no real need to get younger.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 09:19 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voros19 View Post
This is a not a good deal for NJ, agreed, but can we stop with the 'NJ needs to get younger BS? They're getting big contributions from players like Zajac and Parise, and will see guys like Clarkson and Pelley make the team this year. Aside from Matvichuk, all of their defenseman are below 30 years of age.

There is no real need to get younger.
Pelley & Clarkson are just a different version of Rupp & Rasmussen and for that matter you can toss in Tallackson. None of thos players are what anyone would call offensively talented, they are checkers bottom 6, most likely bottom 3. Zajac & Parise are fine players, no one is arguing that. Ekias is 31 going on 32. Langenbrunner is 32. Brylin is 33 going on 34. Madden is 34. Pandolfo is 32 going on 33. Gionta is 28 and he is the only forward close in age to Zajac & Parise.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 10:29 AM
deflowd

the problem with marleau is after this year's free agency frenzy he won't resign for anything less than 7 million a year for 5-8 years probably. so you know he's going the free agency route, especially if you acquire him for just this year. It would not be smart for the Devils to make this trade at all.

With that said value wise it's pretty good, and I am a huge Marleau fan. But I wouldn't make the trade based on the value greene and zajac will give over the next 2-4 years based on their salaries

deflowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Artful_Dodger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voros19 View Post
How is Zajac only a "quality prospect"? In his first pro season the guy stepped right in and excelled as NJ's second line center. No way I deal him for Marleau straight up even.
*rimshot*

Artful_Dodger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 07:40 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy View Post
the cap went up by 6 milion + they lost Gomez + they lost Rafalski
vs
they added Zubrus + they added Rachunek

i doubt they'll have cap problems
I would not call it cap problems but here it is: With out Parise and Martin.
http://www.nhlnumbers.com/njd.html

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 10:48 AM
JONESinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by druncan View Post
brilliant idea! instead of trading for him, we'll just sign him when he becomes a free agent next year! that way, we won't have to give up any players.

there is absolutely no possibility that any of the other teams looking to land a top-line center have thought of this! it's practically a done deal.
I agree with what he is saying. The last thing New Jersey can do at this point is get rid of some young talent in order to get marleau and let him walk coem seasons end. As much as I do like marleau, he would deffinitly test the market. If we are going to get young talent either get marleau resigned or go after someone else with a longer contract. I can't think of any of the top of my idea....any thoughts on some players???

JONESinator is offline   Reply With Quote