HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

College Hockey 2007-08

Old
03-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Jori

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
4-1 its over

Old
03-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Jori

It's 2002 all over again. Congrats Wisconsin.

Disappointing end, but a good year for DU. Bozak and Butler are probably the highest flight risks. A talented rookie class coming in and now Cheverie is the man.

Thank you Peter Mannino and the seniors

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

I still can't believe that tournement draw.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Jori

5-2...two breakway goals for Wisconsin

Old
03-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Jori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
I still can't believe that tournement draw.
Yup....I'd rather face Miami in Albany then having to play a lower seeded Badgers team in their home rink. It was a terrible draw for Denver. Yet, with the way DU has been running around on the defensive end...I'm not sure it would have really mattered who they would have played.

Old
03-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Jori

Lots of Michigan, Wisco and NoDak fans in the Denver area so I have no doubts there will be good crowds. Just disappointing one of the locals couldn't make it.

Old
03-29-2008, 08:02 PM
VikingAv
Go Sioux!

vCash: 1253
You are a true hockey-fan and a class-act, Jori!! If I ever get my sorry ass to the city of Denver and an Avs-game, it would be nice to meet some of the posters on these boards... BTW, does that happen with all you locals on these boards??

VikingAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Jori

6-2 final. I don't think I can stomach watching a NoDak/Wisconsin regional final, but it should be a good game.

Michigan close to clinching their spot in the FF.

Old
03-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Commander Enigma

That sucks none of the locals got in, let alone advanced past round 1. DU definitely got shafted having to go to to a hostile environment, wish CC would have taken advantage of their situation.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Breck Av

First DU gets screwed by the selection commitee, then they go out and hit 4 posts when the game was either 1-0 or 2-1. Then Wisconsin hits the post, yet the puck bounces off Mannino and into the net. It just wasn't meant to be for Denver.

The NCAA shouldn't be letting teams that are not #1 seeds play at their home site, let alone a team with a losing record. Travel costs shouldn't override competitive balance.

Breck Av is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 08:17 PM
VikingAv
Go Sioux!

vCash: 1253
With all the WCHA-teams in it, wouldn't one or more of them for sure get the shaft? DU and CC should have switched spots though. CC always chokes, and DU might have had a chance in CC's bracket...

VikingAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Av View Post
The NCAA shouldn't be letting teams that are not #1 seeds play at their home site, let alone a team with a losing record. Travel costs shouldn't override competitive balance.
It's not so much that, it's that they destroyed bracket integrity for teams that didn't have home games and to hamstring the WCHA.

Old
03-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Jori

Wolverines are in, they'll play the winner of the West Regional.

Old
03-29-2008, 08:31 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

Billy Sauer looked really good today for Michigan.

The Pwnerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Jori

The WCHA is getting hammered. It looks like it'll be BC/Miami for the Northeast Regional. Even though it would put three CCHA teams in Denver, I'd like to see Miami make it.

Old
03-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

very dissapointed. It's almost as if it was set up so a Colorado team COULDN'T make it to Denver. Why let a team have home ice for the finals when you can give it to a team that shouldn't even be in the tourney let alone have home ice. It's gonna be sickening to watch a team from Michigan win a championship on Pepsi Center Ice.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:14 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

The draw for DU sucked a**, but what a disappointment.

Congrats to Air Force for being the only Colorado team to show up in this tournament.

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Breck Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHockeyFan View Post
The draw for DU sucked a**, but what a disappointment.

Congrats to Air Force for being the only Colorado team to show up in this tournament.
I disagree about Air Force being the only Colorado team to show up. I thought DU completely outplayed Wisconsin until 10 minutes left in the third period. The puck just wouldn't go in the net for DU because of the pipes and some nice saves by Connelly. Just before Wisky made it 3-1 the Badgers had started to finally tilt the ice towards Mannino. Then they hit the post and it still went in off Manno, which totally took the wind out of DU's sails.

I think the announcers made it seem like Wisconsin was playing better than they were in the first two periods. Does anyone know who those annoncers were and who they normally announce?

Breck Av is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Jori

Wow...Notre Dame is coming to Denver. They'll play Michigan.

The Northeast Regional winner will play the Midwest Regional winner.

Old
03-30-2008, 11:56 AM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Av View Post
I disagree about Air Force being the only Colorado team to show up. I thought DU completely outplayed Wisconsin until 10 minutes left in the third period. The puck just wouldn't go in the net for DU because of the pipes and some nice saves by Connelly. Just before Wisky made it 3-1 the Badgers had started to finally tilt the ice towards Mannino. Then they hit the post and it still went in off Manno, which totally took the wind out of DU's sails.

I think the announcers made it seem like Wisconsin was playing better than they were in the first two periods. Does anyone know who those annoncers were and who they normally announce?
Fair enough. I guess it just didn't seem like a complete enough effort, especially in the defensive end. (And like I said, it was a tough draw--a ridiculous draw, really.)

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 02:24 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
I wasn't able to catch the 2nd and 3rd, but they looked to be playing a pretty solid defensive game in the 1st. Nothing earth shattering, but well enough to win the game.

I really hope North Dakota beats the snot out of Wisconsin and shows the Selection committee that the PWR is not the best way to be picking teams for the tourny, that there needs to be SOME discretion. Wisconsin had the 7th hardest schedule, the problem is, the 6 teams above them were from the same conference as them(as well as 3 below), so in terms of overall schedules, they were under .500 with one of the EASIEST non conference schedules. They didn't belong, plain and simple, and if not for the fandome BS, they shouldn't have been playing in Madison in the first place.

On that same note, how the F did DU not get a #1 seed? And don't tell me that the PWR said so, because being ranked #4 at the end of the season plus winning the conference tourny should have guaranteed them a #1 seed(would it have even made a difference to them if they lost since they were going to be a #2 seed no matter what?). New Hampshire didn't belong ANYWHERE near that seed.

This is starting to look like a nice mix between BCS and NCAA basketball where teams are somehow getting seeds they shouldn't be in or making the tourny when they shouldn't.
Edit:
I just worked out what i believe the bracket should have been without taking into consideration regions or conferences. Feel free to voice your opinions.

Worcester, MA:
(1)Michigan vs. (16)Niagra
(8)Saint Cloud State vs. (9)Michigan State

Madison, WI:
(4)Denver vs. (13)Princeton
(5)New Hampshire vs. (12)Notre Dame

Albany, NY:
(2)Miami(Ohio) vs. (15)Air Force
(7)Boston College vs. (10)Clarkson

Colorado Springs, CO:
(3)North Dakota vs. (14)Minnesota State(or Wisconsin whom shouldn't be in)
(6)Colorado College vs. (11)Minnesota

would be a perfect bracket...however, when taking into account conferences, the Colorado Springs bracket would have to have one of the matchups switched with the Albany bracket so that Colo Springs doesn't consist of 4 WCHA teams. So after this, the bracket would look like:

Worcester, MA:
(1)Michigan vs. (16)Niagra
(8)Saint Cloud State vs. (9)Michigan State

Madison, WI:
(4)Denver vs. (13)Princeton
(5)New Hampshire vs. (12)Notre Dame

Albany, NY:
(3)North Dakota vs. (14)Minnesota State(or Wisconsin whom shouldn't be in)
(7)Boston College vs. (10)Clarkson

Colorado Springs, CO:
(2)Miami(Ohio) vs. (15)Air Force
(6)Colorado College vs. (11)Minnesota

Last edited by avs1dacup: 03-30-2008 at 03:46 PM.
avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 03:39 PM
MHNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
They didn't belong, plain and simple, and if not for the fandome BS, they shouldn't have been playing in Madison in the first place.
Had nothing to do with "fandome BS." Wisconsin played at home because they are the host school for the Midwest Regional. Host schools play at the site they are hosting if they make the tournament, regardless of seed, hence why Colorado College played at home, too. CC hosted the West Regional. This is nothing new. Host schools/Regional sites are awarded years in advance via a bidding process. Denver was a host school last year and failed to make the tourney, so they blew their chance of having the same advantage as the teams this year did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
On that same note, how the F did DU not get a #1 seed? And don't tell me that the PWR said so
Because the PWR said so. Plain and simple.

Last edited by MHNet: 03-30-2008 at 03:45 PM.
MHNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2008, 03:52 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHNet View Post
Had nothing to do with "fandome BS." Wisconsin played at home because they are the host school for the Midwest Regional. Host schools play at the site they are hosting if they make the tournament, regardless of seed, hence why Colorado College played at home, too. CC hosted the West Regional. This is nothing new. Host schools/Regional sites are awarded years in advance via a bidding process. Denver was a host school last year and failed to make the tourney, so they blew their chance of having the same advantage as the teams this year did.
Which is BS. I realize thats why it happens, but that doesn't mean it should happen that way. CC was also a 2 seed, so whether they were the host school or not was a moot point.

Quote:
Because the PWR said so. Plain and simple.
Again, the PWR isn't the holy grail of the NCAAs. At least it shouldn't be. There are too many factors that aren't even calculated for it to be the only way teams are picked. Discretion should be used, and allowing an under .500 team, host school or not, to play in the tourny AND at home, is showing a lack of this.

Old
03-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Here's the projected bracket from the night before the selections:

West Regional
Colorado Springs
Notre Dame vs. New Hampshire
Michigan State vs. Colorado College

Midwest Regional
Madison
Air Force vs. Michigan
Wisconsin vs. St. Cloud State

Northeast Regional
Worcester
Princeton vs. North Dakota
Minnesota vs. Boston College

East Regional
Albany
Niagara vs. Miami
Clarkson vs. Denver

So the committee effectively said "our hands are tied" admitting Wisconsin, but then they decide to bust the brackets for Michigan and Miami. If I were Minnesota State I would feel doubly snubbed after that. My hope is this spurs some reform in the process.

I'm almost rooting for NoDak or Wisco to take it all (never thought I'd say that) just to stick it to the committee.

Old
03-30-2008, 06:00 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
I'm almost rooting for NoDak or Wisco to take it all (never thought I'd say that) just to stick it to the committee.
If Wisconsin wins it all, it will only get them saying "look, we were right in including them". That's why I'm pulling for NoDak to slaugher them. Doubt it will appen, but can always dream. Nonetheless, I want NoDak to win that region.