Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Please tell me this isn't true (Penner)

Old
07-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Human Megaphone

vCash: 500
I think making the link between Bertuzzi and this signing is a little much. Should Burke have waited until all his RFA's were signed before going after UFAs? That would mean instead of Bertuzzi and Schneider he'd be signing Peca and Markov (at best).

Just because you hate Bertuzzi doesn't mean your not allowed to make sense.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Where's the Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The Oilers couldn't even get better than a no.6 pick last season, and that was basically completely tanking the entire last 1/3 of the season and an initial 2/3rds of the season with an AHL defense.

Hell, an injury to Pronger or Bertuzzi and Anaheim's 1st rounder (which goes to Edmonton) could very easily end up higher than Edmonton's.
Ducks arent just a one man team, if they lost Pronger or Bertuzzi, they'd still make the playoffs...

Isnt a chance in hell the Ducks lose one of those guys and automatically become of the 5 worst teams in hockey.

Where's the Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:20 PM
treybrown

Send a message via AIM to treybrown
There is no way Bruke is going to match. I think bruke was trying to trade him then lown stepped in. hahahaha that's pretty funny

Good for DP but that's better for the ducks

treybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:23 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Wow. Enjoy the picks.

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:25 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
first, stop saying lowe is not making any friends. he is not paid by EDM to make friends. he is paid to make the team better at any cost. he can't get UFAs to sign there, GMs back out on trades with him right and left. so this is his last option. so be it. its allowed by the rules so the crybaby teams and GMs need to suck it up. they might be in the same boat some day.

that said.

if penner keeps improving and gets more ice, that contract will seem like a bargain in 2 years.

plus, the oil can always move penner later to recover prospects and picks.

i think this is a good move for EDM. i think ANH should keep penner myself and cut salary elsewhere. but after picking up bertuzzi they likely won't.

so ANH gets bertuzzi who will be lucky to play in 50 games and they might lose penner who is a young and rising stud.

terrible IMO. ANH could have sealed the young core and brought up ryan at the RW. tuzzi is already costing the ducks.
Haha Penner a rising stud. Look I think he will be a good player but remember who he plays with. If Edmonton gets him dont expect improvement.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:28 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where's the Mighty View Post
Ducks arent just a one man team, if they lost Pronger or Bertuzzi, they'd still make the playoffs...

Isnt a chance in hell the Ducks lose one of those guys and automatically become of the 5 worst teams in hockey.
Its amazing how people forget that we still have the best shutdown line in the game, we still have 2 rising star players in Perry and Getzlaf, we still have 2 strong pairings of d-men in Schneider-Beauchemin and Pronger-O'Donnell, we still have great players like Kunitz and McDonald, we havent lost Nieds or Selanne yet, and finally we still have one of the best 1-2 combos in the game in our net. Not to mention if Penner leaves that makes it easier to bring back either Selanne or Nieds or hell even both.

Old
07-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Halifax Hellfish

I didnt realize there was a scale based on contract value.

The compensation scale is $773,442 or below, none; $773,442-$1,171,882, third-round pick; $1,171,882-$2,343,765, second-round pick; $2,343,765-$3,515,647, first- and third-round picks; $3,515,647-$4,687,530, first-, second- and third-round picks; $4,687,530-$5,859,412, two first-, one second- and one third-round pick; $5,859,412-plus, four first-round picks.

Since Penner would be in at 4.3 million per, Anaheim would would fall in this part of the scale $3,515,647-$4,687,530, first-, second- and third-round picks.
This almost feels like a Fantasy Pool decision lol

Halifax Hellfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Elvs

I hope Burke doesn't match, and I don't think we have the caproom for it either... Penner isn't unreplaceable and there is no way he's worth more than McDonald, and no one knows if he will be worth the prize in 5 years or so either.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:34 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfstrand View Post
I hope Burke doesn't match, and I don't think we have the caproom for it either... Penner isn't unreplaceable and there is no way he's worth more than McDonald, and no one knows if he will be worth the prize in 5 years or so either.
I honestly think Bobby Ryan is good enough right now to come up to the NHL and do the same things that Dustin did.

Old
07-26-2007, 02:36 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I don't know if Edmonton is going about this right. This offer seems a little in no-man's land. If they want Penner through RFA this price doesn't seem high enough to make sure they get him. Why not offer to the top of 1,2,3 bracket (4.6)? Same with Vanek. They're overpaying, but not overpaying enough to be sure they'll get the guy. Or why not trade for his rights (say a 1st and a prospect) which would end up costing less in assets, be better for the Ducks because it'd have more "now assets", and get Penner signed at a better salary.

The salary is high, but it seems like Burke could go either way, especially if Nieds retires. The only sure result is that Burke won't be happy. I think Edmonton will do poorly this year, the picks could be pretty high.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Where's the Mighty

All he'd have to do is sit in front of the net and occasionally crash the corners for a loose puck or 2. Ryan is already better at everything else sans skating.

Old
07-26-2007, 02:38 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Burke has to let him walk or trade Perry. Matching this offer has huge implications for next summer when Getzlaf and Perry's contracts are up. It's obvious now that Penner has signed a deal way over his worth that the PPG line can not stay together beyond this year. So Burkie has to decide whether he wants Perry or Penner. Getzlaf will get a huge raise next season and is the future of this team so isn't going anywhere. If Burke matches, which I doubt because he has been very outspoken about letting great players walk because of money, than I expect Perry to be traded any time from now until March. This sucks, I hate Kevin Lowe. I hate him.

Worst part about all this is the fact that the only picks Lowe is really giving up is a third rounder because he has our first and second next year anyway.

TheJoeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:41 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone View Post
I think making the link between Bertuzzi and this signing is a little much. Should Burke have waited until all his RFA's were signed before going after UFAs? That would mean instead of Bertuzzi and Schneider he'd be signing Peca and Markov (at best).

Just because you hate Bertuzzi doesn't mean your not allowed to make sense.
It makes perfect sense.

There are consequences to paying Todd Bertuzzi 4 million, this is one of them.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:41 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where's the Mighty View Post
All he'd have to do is sit in front of the net and occasionally crash the corners for a loose puck or 2. Ryan is already better at everything else sans skating.
Exactly my point.

Old
07-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac003 View Post
pens fan here. cant blame penner. that amount of cash anyone would sign. that sux for you ducks fans. dont think penner is worth that much, if im burke i let em roll
It will be even nicer when someone does that to your team and Malkin..

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:47 PM
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
first, stop saying lowe is not making any friends. he is not paid by EDM to make friends. he is paid to make the team better at any cost. he can't get UFAs to sign there, GMs back out on trades with him right and left. so this is his last option. so be it. its allowed by the rules so the crybaby teams and GMs need to suck it up. they might be in the same boat some day.

that said.

if penner keeps improving and gets more ice, that contract will seem like a bargain in 2 years.

plus, the oil can always move penner later to recover prospects and picks.

i think this is a good move for EDM. i think ANH should keep penner myself and cut salary elsewhere. but after picking up bertuzzi they likely won't.

so ANH gets bertuzzi who will be lucky to play in 50 games and they might lose penner who is a young and rising stud.

terrible IMO. ANH could have sealed the young core and brought up ryan at the RW. tuzzi is already costing the ducks.
Good post...all very acurate points.

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Where's the Mighty

Kevin Lowe + the NYR = Death of Hockey. We missed an entire season for this?

Old
07-26-2007, 02:48 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

OK ignore my comments about not being enough. Apparently division isn't my strong suit, I thought it averaged to 4.1 million per year not 4.3.

Take the picks.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Quatchi

If Burke matches, Lowe is at the very least making his available cap space worth more and more ... A 1,2,3 pick for Penner is a bargain (from Lowe's perspective). 4.3 a year isnt ...

Quatchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Ducksforcup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Burke has to let him walk or trade Perry. Matching this offer has huge implications for next summer when Getzlaf and Perry's contracts are up. It's obvious now that Penner has signed a deal way over his worth that the PPG line can not stay together beyond this year. So Burkie has to decide whether he wants Perry or Penner. Getzlaf will get a huge raise next season and is the future of this team so isn't going anywhere. If Burke matches, which I doubt because he has been very outspoken about letting great players walk because of money, than I expect Perry to be traded any time from now until March. This sucks, I hate Kevin Lowe. I hate him.

Worst part about all this is the fact that the only picks Lowe is really giving up is a third rounder because he has our first and second next year anyway.
Agreed. We have to think of the future here. Perry and Getzlaf's new contracts are just around the corner.

This offer really surprised me...in a bad way.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Canuck71

This is a retarded move by lowe. He offered and insane amount to a player that is only rising. I can Imagine Burke is probably fuming right now, but he should just let Penner go and get these picks because next years draft seems pretty deep.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:56 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

You know, the picks are just small parting gift in all this. That's potentially 29 goals walking out the door and it'll be YEARS before we reep the benefits of those picks, if at all. I hate the notion that we could be happy with draft picks as compensation for a great young player. This screws us royally if Burke walks. If that happens and Teemu retires that's 75 goals gone that'll be replaced by Bertuzzi's 3 and Bobby Ryan's none existent stats. This wounds our team exponentionally and we have to pray one of Scotty or Teemu come back because that is just too much offense we are losing, no offense to Schneider and Bertuzzi.

TheJoeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Ducksforcup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
You know, the picks are just small parting gift in all this. That's potentially 29 goals walking out the door and it'll be YEARS before we reep the benefits of those picks, if at all. I hate the notion that we could be happy with draft picks as compensation for a great young player. This screws us royally if Burke walks. If that happens and Teemu retires that's 75 goals gone that'll be replaced by Bertuzzi's 3 and Bobby Ryan's none existent stats. This wounds our team exponentionally and we have to pray one of Scotty or Teemu come back because that is just too much offense we are losing, no offense to Schneider and Bertuzzi.
It is a pretty hallow compensation. Sure, it is great, but to lose Penner. At 4.3 million a season, you have to weigh these things though.

We'll see what happens I suppose.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:00 PM
soya_sauce_chicken

let him go
i'd rather keep Getz and Perry

soya_sauce_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:03 PM
SidTheKid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
It will be even nicer when someone does that to your team and Malkin..
Whatever. All he said was it would be hard for Penner to turn down that money. You wish Malkin was heading to Boston.

BTW, where's Thornton?

SidTheKid87 is offline   Reply With Quote