Old
07-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Elvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by soya_sauce_chicken View Post
let him go
i'd rather keep Getz and Perry
Agreed, those money could get in handy next year as they both will turn RFA's...

Elvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:10 PM
coolwasabi

Oiler fan here.

RFAs offers are a high-risk, high-reward game... Lowe made a tough decision when he made the offer, and has now forced Burke (and Nieds/Teemu) to make a tough decision of his own.

As a non-Ducks fan, I find it all hilariously entertaining.

coolwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:14 PM
GPickus

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwasabi View Post
Oiler fan here.

RFAs offers are a high-risk, high-reward game... Lowe made a tough decision when he made the offer, and has now forced Burke (and Nieds/Teemu) to make a tough decision of his own.

As a non-Ducks fan, I find it all hilariously entertaining.

As a Ducks fan, I'll find it hilariously entertaining in two years if Burke declines to match and you're paying 4.5 mil a year for a guy who scores 20 goals and is a -20. I mean I guess Lowe forgot the lesson he learned from the last talented but wildly inconsistent forward he acquired from Anaheim. Or have you forgot Joffrey Lupul? penner is a scoring power forward yes, but he does nothing else particularly well, and his defensive game sucks. He also seemed to lack motivation at times last season, and I doubt a big fat contract helps that. I don't think Edmonton is a good situation for him at this point in his career, he's going to be expected to carry that team somewhat. In Anaheim, he's not going to shoulder the entire brunt of expecations.

GPickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Vulak

i'd say let penner go and take the picks. EMD 1st could be potential 1st overall and Penner havent developed yet to be 4,3m player. Plus we need cap space for Selšnne =P

Vulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:16 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
all you Ducks fans should be bombarding Burke's inbox with one-word emails that just read "WALK!"

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:18 PM
pdxshark
@jmbradd

[QUOTE=F0rsbergFan21;10026651]first, stop saying lowe is not making any friends. he is not paid by EDM to make friends. he is paid to make the team better at any cost. he can't get UFAs to sign there, GMs back out on trades with him right and left. so this is his last option. so be it. its allowed by the rules so the crybaby teams and GMs need to suck it up. they might be in the same boat some day.

Thats a very short sighted post. Why do you think GM's kept backing out of trades with him? Professional relationships are extremely important, especially in sports management. To suggest he doesn't need to make friends around to be successful is crazy talk.

pdxshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Shaun_W_W

People that say Lowe is stupid are wrong. This guy is going to lose his job if he cannot put a decent team out on the ice next year and he has tried every other option and he has what maybe 3 top 6 forwards and a bunch of bottoms 6 and even more AHLers. Lowe cannot think about the future of the team he's thinking about the future of him picking up is unemployment cheque. I don't get the stigma about the Oilers for players though I kind of feel bad for Edmonton.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Elvs

Lowe might actually be the one to blame for the next lockout.

Elvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Chayos

[QUOTE=pdxshark;10027888]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
first, stop saying lowe is not making any friends. he is not paid by EDM to make friends. he is paid to make the team better at any cost. he can't get UFAs to sign there, GMs back out on trades with him right and left. so this is his last option. so be it. its allowed by the rules so the crybaby teams and GMs need to suck it up. they might be in the same boat some day.

Thats a very short sighted post. Why do you think GM's kept backing out of trades with him? Professional relationships are extremely important, especially in sports management. To suggest he doesn't need to make friends around to be successful is crazy talk.
Where was this talk in the late 80's and 90's when teams were cherry picking stars from Edm left right and center. We should be the ones holding grudges here and I think that Lowe's attitude has been reflected in that. Why should he care what Regier thinks or Burke for that matter. Gm's have a shelf life of about 6 years so i guess we will see another ana trade about then.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Rickety Cricket

I think this is pretty simple for the Ducks. Either lose Penner this year, or lose Getzlaf next year. Maybe Lowe did this on purpose with the intentions of trying drive up the Ducks salary total(this of course assumes the Ducks match the offer), then next year offer a huge contract to Getzlaf to which the Ducks can't sign.

The bottom line is if I were BB, I'd let Penner walk and then get on the phone with Getzlaf's agent and start working out a contract extension

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:26 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfstrand View Post

How? The salaries in the new NHL are tied to revenues (55% thereof). RFAs (Vanek, Penner) making more money, means less will be available for UFAs.
E.g. Burke would not be able to offer 4M to Bertuzzi.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan7 View Post
I think this is pretty simple for the Ducks. Either lose Penner this year, or lose Getzlaf next year. Maybe Lowe did this on purpose with the intentions of trying drive up the Ducks salary total(this of course assumes the Ducks match the offer), then next year offer a huge contract to Getzlaf to which the Ducks can't sign.

The bottom line is if I were BB, I'd let Penner walk and then get on the phone with Getzlaf's agent and start working out a contract extension
Yep, that is how I see it as well. WE HAVE TO KEEP GETZLAF. That is the number one prerogative.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AVE MAN

Quote:
Why?

Teams could only spend up to the Cap. If Ana has no room to sign Penner because they offered Bertuzzi 4mil per year, why is Lowe to blame for that?
Lowe has money available to him to spend.
Most teams will spend close to the cap so why does Lowe get critised for doing so?

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:27 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where's the Mighty View Post
Kevin Lowe + the NYR = Death of Hockey. We missed an entire season for this?
Please tell me you've heard of revenue linkage.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
[QUOTE=Chayos1;10027970]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxshark View Post

Where was this talk in the late 80's and 90's when teams were cherry picking stars from Edm left right and center. We should be the ones holding grudges here and I think that Lowe's attitude has been reflected in that. Why should he care what Regier thinks or Burke for that matter. Gm's have a shelf life of about 6 years so i guess we will see another ana trade about then.

they have a shelf life of about 6-years or so per any given team... Lowe's shelf life as a general manager period seems like it'll be about 8-years.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kenabnrmal

I'm completely on the fence with this one. On the one hand, unless the first rounder is a top-5 pick, he's unlikely to be near as good as Penner is now. Picks are nice, but they don't win you Cups. Monster power forwards do.

On the other, there are implications down the road with Getzlaf and Perry, and immediately with the two potential retirees. I'd prefer Burke make his own plans, not have his hand forced by Kevin Lowe. However, if Selanne returns there is a glut of top-9 forwards, and it would give Bobby Ryan a tangible spot to battle for at this season's camp. I LOVE Penner, but the Ducks certainly have a surplus in his area.

I'm glad I don't have to make the call. However, if we take the picks, I'll be rooting harder than anyone for the fall of the Oilers (pains me to say that). We'd NEED that 1st pick to be a good one.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:28 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Please tell me you've heard of revenue linkage.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:29 PM
lambraf

Penner will miss is fellow line partners...

lambraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:30 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambraf View Post
Penner will miss is fellow line partners...
Who? Parros? Marchant?

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:31 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan7 View Post

The best part is that Ducks could still lose Getzlaf if they let Penner walk, as I suspect Edmonton won't be the only team next year willing to tender an offer sheet for him.

I guess we'll see how good of a GM Burke is right now. As an Oilers' fan, I thoroughly enjoy this moment. Burke shamelessly took advantage of Lowe's situation last year-- Lowe is fully justified to get back at him. What comes around, goes around.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Captain Pilsner

I don't understand how people can claim to know anything about the business of hockey and then go and say that these RFA offers are RUINING it.

TEAM SALARY = UFA SALARY + RFA SALARY

if RFA salary goes up, and playare salary cannot change based on this (only on revenues) and the equation must remain equal to make sense, the only thing that can change is that UFA salaries will drop. period.

As has been stated, higher RFA prices drive down UFA prices, making high offers on UFAs more attractive to them, rather than less. This gives them more to think about when comparing offers.

All this does is spread out the league even more in two ways:

1)the amount of money paid among different age groups
2)the amount of different age groups each team has

The spread will become much more consistent, if anything, this levels the playing field more.

Captain Pilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:33 PM
ktulu98

getzlaf or perry > penner
perry is our future 1st line RW and replacement for teemu

no way penner is worth 4.3M
he has done nothing so far to be payed like that, maybe in 2 season it will be bargain offer and he will have 90p season, but I doubt it

burke will not match this offer..he told that ryan is on edge of making team and someone told that he will make the team so this is nice opportunity to bring him into team

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
The best part is that Ducks could still lose Getzlaf if they let Penner walk, as I suspect Edmonton won't be the only team next year willing to tender an offer sheet for him.

I guess we'll see how good of a GM Burke is right now. As an Oilers' fan, I thoroughly enjoy this moment. Burke shamelessly took advantage of Lowe's situation last year-- Lowe is fully justified to get back at him. What comes around, goes around.
How did he take advantage of his situation? I hope Lowe took the best offer available. It wasn't like he had to trade with Anaheim

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Laraque4PM*

Ya but he was getting lowballed as teams knew he had to deal!

Laraque4PM* is offline   Reply With Quote