Notices

Please tell me this isn't true (Penner)

Old
07-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraque4PM View Post
Ya but he was getting lowballed as teams knew he had to deal!
Lowe wasn't lowballed. Burke payed a huge price to get Pronger. Lupul, Smid, 2 Firsts, and a 2nd. That isn't lowballing. Now, I think Burke took advantage of the fact that Lowe really liked Lupul, but that is another story.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Rickety Cricket

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraque4PM View Post
Ya but he was getting lowballed as teams knew he had to deal!
So how is that Burke's fault? If you were a GM and knew of a team in that situation would you try to get the player using the least amount of assets or would you try to give up fair market value? Plus, he gave up Lupul(coming off a 28 goal season) a good D prospect in Smid, 2 first rounders and a 2nd rounder. Sounds pretty steep actually

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 04:45 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
first, stop saying lowe is not making any friends. he is not paid by EDM to make friends. he is paid to make the team better at any cost. he can't get UFAs to sign there, GMs back out on trades with him right and left. so this is his last option. so be it. its allowed by the rules so the crybaby teams and GMs need to suck it up. they might be in the same boat some day.

that said.

if penner keeps improving and gets more ice, that contract will seem like a bargain in 2 years.

plus, the oil can always move penner later to recover prospects and picks.

i think this is a good move for EDM. i think ANH should keep penner myself and cut salary elsewhere. but after picking up bertuzzi they likely won't.

so ANH gets bertuzzi who will be lucky to play in 50 games and they might lose penner who is a young and rising stud.

terrible IMO. ANH could have sealed the young core and brought up ryan at the RW. tuzzi is already costing the ducks.
maybe they know selanne wont be back that is why they signed bertuzzi.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 04:50 PM
LondonKnightsCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by soya_sauce_chicken View Post
let him go
i'd rather keep Getz and Perry
Yep, Getz is a future star and Perry isn't far behind.

Oilers fans will be whining how slow Penner is by October 15th and his back should be acting up by October 31.

A steal of a deal for the Ducks.Lowe is looking pathetic and desperate.

I bet Lupul outscores Penner this year!

LondonKnightsCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 04:50 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan7 View Post
So how is that Burke's fault? If you were a GM and knew of a team in that situation would you try to get the player using the least amount of assets or would you try to give up fair market value? Plus, he gave up Lupul(coming off a 28 goal season) a good D prospect in Smid, 2 first rounders and a 2nd rounder. Sounds pretty steep actually

besides... nobody put a gun to Lowe's head. HE made the trade.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Raistlin1022

man, thats a steep price to pay for a fourth line guy isn't it? 1st, second and third plus 5 years at 4.3 per? what if he has a setback, ie Soph jinx? Thats putting your neck out there to be strung up. Penner is nowhere near the level of a Vanek, yet I sense the same sense of desperation from Lowe. Burke should walk, and let this move be the downfall of Lowe.

Raistlin1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Captain Pilsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonKnightsCrew View Post
I bet Lupul outscores Penner this year!
funny thing is i coudl totally see that happening.... scary

Captain Pilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 04:59 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smytty Heart View Post
Hey, how ya doin? Oilers fan here just sayin what's up. Nice board over here. One question though, where do the knowledgeable Ducks fans go to post?

p.s. enjoy either your closeness to the cap, or not winning the cup again due to losing just another peice
Atleast we have won the cup in this century. And like I said people forget how good this team is stll even without Penner.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
If Burke matches, I'd be really worried he might trade McDonald away.

Imagine a team without McDonald, Selanne, Scotty and maybe Marchant as well. The Ducks would not be flying anymore, they'd be crawling...

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:02 PM
comeonnow

Send a message via Yahoo to comeonnow
sabres fan here, what is lowe thinking? penner is no 4.3 and vanek is no 7.1 player. Fair enough he is an rfa so with the new cba he could make the offer, now what happens if burke matches? who's next cammellari? All i can say is payback is a B

comeonnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:03 PM
ktulu98

Quote:
Hey, how ya doin? Oilers fan here just sayin what's up. Nice board over here. One question though, where do the knowledgeable Ducks fans go to post?

p.s. enjoy either your closeness to the cap, or not winning the cup again due to losing just another peice

so penner is the key piece for winnig again?

big big overrating

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Gyroduck

Lose Penner, save some money and make a 4 year deal with Getslaf so not to go RFA. Later this season, sign Perry.

Gyroduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:07 PM
LondonKnightsCrew

Quote:

Don't you have anything better to do up there? Like go to the mall, or go to the mall or if that bores you how about you head to that famous old mall on 170th street, that should be fun.

At least Dustin is used to Edmonton - Winkler has the same weather and stores, it only lacks that famous mall!!

LondonKnightsCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:09 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonnow View Post
sabres fan here, what is lowe thinking? penner is no 4.3 and vanek is no 7.1 player. Fair enough he is an rfa so with the new cba he could make the offer, now what happens if burke matches? who's next cammellari? All i can say is payback is a B

If your GMs thinks it is an overpayment for Penner, then let the guy walk and take the picks. Why all this whining?

If you think the price is right, then pay the price. You can't have it all--i.e. quality UFAs and stellar RFAs. Something has got to give.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:20 PM
kingsfan77

Cammy is in arbitration. He can not be tendered an offer (thank god for that) But either way Lowes crazy moves will have an effect on cammy's hearing. Not good. If im the ducks i take the picks and then use the money else where.

kingsfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Randall Graves*

Gotta let him walk.

essentially you would have Penner, Perry, Getzlaf, Schnieder, Bertuzzi, Pronger, and Giguere signed to contracts around 4 mil plus because Perry and Getz could demand similar money.

He could be worth the money by the end of the deal but I think in this case you take the picks, save the money and try hard to get Teemu back.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:

Penner had 7 points in the playoffs.

I really like the guy but I would sacrifice him to sign Perry/Getzlaf long term and get Selanne back...and take those high picks.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Ducks

Quote:

None of what you say changes the fact that your team sucks.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:33 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Random thoughts:

Why wasn't Penner signed earlier? 2 reasons come to my mind: 1) financial flexibility w.r.t. Niedermayer and Selanne 2) he wants to see what he can get for Penner's rights, either through trade or an offer sheet. Both reasons make me wonder if we won't match.

Bertuzzi's signing really put us in this position. Niedermayer was leaning toward retiring so we had to sign Schneider, but Bertuzzi was signed with no indication as to Selanne's plans. His signing meant we might not have had a top-6 spot for Penner, and made it so we couldn't re-sign him for both roster space and financial reasons. If Penner goes we'd better hope Bertuzzi's healthy and contributing, because he cost us Penner.

What is it with Lowe and offering huge money to guys who aren't proven? Torres, Pisani, Lupul, Vanek, and now Penner. It's like he's living in this crazy world where guys always reach potential and doesn't adjust for risk at all. What's Pitkanen going to want next year?

It's hard to accept Penner getting 4.3 million for our team, it's a horrible precedent for Getzlaf, Perry, and Ryan.

How would Edmonton do with Penner? The roster doesn't seem very suited for his style. Who's he going to cycle with? While he has a pretty good shot, it's not like he's a sniper and would work well with Hemsky. And the roster just seems so young both on offense and defense, with a defense that isn't very good at playing defense. Those draft picks are probably going to be pretty good.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:37 PM
caliamad

Tough choice. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks are not much incentive. Their defense will be much improved this year and getting a lottery pick may not happen unless they have a complete collapse...

On the other hand, I'm not sure this makes Edmonton a playoff contender either.

I'm a big Dustin Penner fan, and I think a player with his size/skill is a rare bread... is this his coming out party ala betuzzi moving to Vancouver or another Lupul situation? I think on our team he would have been given a bigger role but on their team I don't like the situation. I don't see him playing with Hemsky. He will definitely be overpaid for his production next year.

We can definitely afford Penner if Scotty doesn't come back. If I'm burke, I'd be telling scotty, I need an answer now, and I would prefer having scotty back versus penner. Scotty = strong chance to repeat. Penner means will be a contender but definitely not a favorite.

Letting Penner go may give us room to bring both Selanne & Niedermayer back. We'd then trade a bottom 3 defenseman to make the numbers work.

But I believe the deciding factor for the ducks is to keep their core future, which is Getzlaf and Perry. If you sign this extension then it means one of the two will be gone next year.

Since Dusin has been in the dog house with Carlyle; my feeling is that Dustin is walking and we're hoping for lottery time.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:42 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Apparently, Burke has matched the offer.

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Laraque4PM*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksforcup View Post
Lowe wasn't lowballed. Burke payed a huge price to get Pronger. Lupul, Smid, 2 Firsts, and a 2nd. That isn't lowballing. Now, I think Burke took advantage of the fact that Lowe really liked Lupul, but that is another story.
Lupul seemed a little to high in Lowes mind, lets hope that Penners not another dead Duck.

Laraque4PM* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
I hope not, unless he knows for a fact that scott and teemu are not coming back.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:57 PM
comeonnow

Send a message via Yahoo to comeonnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
If your GMs thinks it is an overpayment for Penner, then let the guy walk and take the picks. Why all this whining?

If you think the price is right, then pay the price. You can't have it all--i.e. quality UFAs and stellar RFAs. Something has got to give.
Whining that's all you guy's do in Edmonton. we can't sign ufa's we can't get anyone to play here etc. I"m not whining i just said it's in the cba he had every right to do it, it's that your gm sucks. And I'm sure the longer he is in oil town the worse you guys will get. Go ahead and defend him you know that he is going to put you guys in the toilet.

comeonnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:57 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
So you're saying Lupul's house doesn't have a "shipped to Edmonton" curse. Because otherwise it would have been 2 in 2 years.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote