Notices

Please tell me this isn't true (Penner)

Old
07-26-2007, 05:00 PM
xlnc66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin1022 View Post
man, thats a steep price to pay for a fourth line guy isn't it? 1st, second and third plus 5 years at 4.3 per? what if he has a setback, ie Soph jinx? Thats putting your neck out there to be strung up. Penner is nowhere near the level of a Vanek, yet I sense the same sense of desperation from Lowe. Burke should walk, and let this move be the downfall of Lowe.
That's funny cause Penner the supposed 4th liner, scored more goals than every Vancouver Canuck, except for Daniel Sedin. He even had more goals than the 6 mil dollar man, Markus Naslund. It's obvious you didn't watch any Duck games because Penner played on a line with Getzlaf and Perry, and that isn't a 4th line.

xlnc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:06 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

(As Posted on AD)

This is really fluid right now.....I've spoke to several sources and this is the information that I am getting.

I'm hearing that the Ducks might sign Penner and then package him with Bryzgalov, sending him to another team.

I've also heard that Burke hasn't signed Penner yet and they are really trying see if it would really fit within their cap - Read Between the Lines - CALLING SCOTT NIEDERMAYER.

Burke is also working on trying to sign a couple other fringe depth players and if he does, he may let Penner walk knowing that if he signs Penner to that deal, he will have to play at least the same if not more to Getzlaf and Perry.

I'm also stilling here that Burke matched the offer right away and as we speak is chewing the ass of GB and KL out right now.

Either way this ends Burke isn't going to win....he's only trying to maintain damage control.

Ducks have no comment today

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:13 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonnow View Post
Whining that's all you guy's do in Edmonton. we can't sign ufa's we can't get anyone to play here etc. I"m not whining i just said it's in the cba he had every right to do it, it's that your gm sucks. And I'm sure the longer he is in oil town the worse you guys will get. Go ahead and defend him you know that he is going to put you guys in the toilet.
Us, whining? Why should we? After the Vanek offer sheet our chances of landing impact players vastly improved. We did not get Vanek at the time, but I bet the offer sheet was the reason why some GMs backed of Sheldon Souray, allowing Lowe to make his move.

Penner would be nice too. I think Ducks fans are grossly underrating him. He was a big piece of the puzzle on the Getzlaf-Perry line, and their success was due as much to his presence, as his was due to them playing on his line.

He will be worth the money over the long term. IMO, in the pre-cap world Burke would eagerly match. I am not sure he is in a position to do it under the current circumstances.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:17 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
(As Posted on AD)

This is really fluid right now.....I've spoke to several sources and this is the information that I am getting.

I'm hearing that the Ducks might sign Penner and then package him with Bryzgalov, sending him to another team.

I've also heard that Burke hasn't signed Penner yet and they are really trying see if it would really fit within their cap - Read Between the Lines - CALLING SCOTT NIEDERMAYER.

Burke is also working on trying to sign a couple other fringe depth players and if he does, he may let Penner walk knowing that if he signs Penner to that deal, he will have to play at least the same if not more to Getzlaf and Perry.

I'm also stilling here that Burke matched the offer right away and as we speak is chewing the ass of GB and KL out right now.

Either way this ends Burke isn't going to win....he's only trying to maintain damage control.

Trade Penner? How can we do that? I thought you can't trade a player with an offer sheet for 1 year (like Kesler)? Or can you trade his rights now, before you match the offer?

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:18 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Trade Penner? How can we do that? I thought you can't trade a player with an offer sheet for 1 year (like Kesler)? Or can you trade his rights now, before you match the offer?
you are correct...Anaheim cannot trade Penner right now and if they match, for a year...

CBA 10.3...

”Once an Offer Sheet for a Restricted Free Agent has been received by the Prior Club, the Prior Club may not Trade or otherwise Assign its Right of First Refusal for such Restricted Free Agent.”

” The Prior Club may not Trade that Restricted Free Agent for a period of one year from the date it exercises its Right of First Refusal.”

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:21 PM
AVE MAN

Quote:
(As Posted on AD)

I've spoke to several sources and this is the information that I am getting.

Your sources must not know that if ANA signs Penner, they're not allowed to trade him.
CBA rule, cant trade him for at least 1 year.

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

If we're going to overpay lazy power forwards, I'd rather it be Penner. Match the offer and trade Bertuzzi for something, anything.

Won't happen. but I wish it would.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:36 PM
arinkrat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
If your GMs thinks it is an overpayment for Penner, then let the guy walk and take the picks. Why all this whining?

If you think the price is right, then pay the price. You can't have it all--i.e. quality UFAs and stellar RFAs. Something has got to give.
Maybe you team should have better scouts then. The Ducks were the only ones who have really built a good part of the team with college free agents. Maybe the Ducks have it all because they knew how to scout college players and how to mix them in with trades, free agents and the draft.

arinkrat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:37 PM
arinkrat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Us, whining? Why should we? After the Vanek offer sheet our chances of landing impact players vastly improved. We did not get Vanek at the time, but I bet the offer sheet was the reason why some GMs backed of Sheldon Souray, allowing Lowe to make his move.

Penner would be nice too. I think Ducks fans are grossly underrating him. He was a big piece of the puzzle on the Getzlaf-Perry line, and their success was due as much to his presence, as his was due to them playing on his line.

He will be worth the money over the long term. IMO, in the pre-cap world Burke would eagerly match. I am not sure he is in a position to do it under the current circumstances.

Yes you whine all the time and come here to gloat when your GM pinches Penner. You whine that what goes around comes around. Well, it seems to me like you guys were pretty happy about Lupul, Smid and all the draft picks you got. You only whine because it didn't turn out the way you expected because Lupul didn't produce.

Yeah, like we undervalued Lupul.

arinkrat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
(As Posted on AD)

Bryz and Penner to some team, that team keeps Penner, ships Bryz+ to L.A. for Cammalleri+.

I can dream right?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:48 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Has anyone heard when Burke will make his announcement?

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by arinkrat View Post
The Ducks were the only ones who have really built a good part of the team with college free agents.
Not to quibble but the Devils have done pretty well with undrafted college free agents too (Madden, Rafalski, Greene, etc.).

It's definitely an overlooked part of scouting.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:57 PM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where's the Mighty View Post
Just for giggles, say Tavares takes a case to the NHL and wins, thus allowing him to be in the 08 draft, we have the Oil's pick and land the #1 spot...
If we do get Penner, there's no way in h*** we finish top 5 unless every one on our roster really sucks, which I don't think they will.

ChokeOnOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Not that this source is always right, but thought I would post it.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8744

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Crude
Rafters 94

Quote:
Atleast we have won the cup in this century. And like I said people forget how good this team is stll even without Penner.
Hmm. Last time I check the Oilers have one it 5 times in the last century

Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 07:08 PM
GPickus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxChokeOnOilxX View Post
If we do get Penner, there's no way in h*** we finish top 5 unless every one on our roster really sucks, which I don't think they will.
Probably, but the playoffs are just as doubtful as being in the bottom 5. It'll be a team with some talent yes, but Roloson is going to see a metric ****ton of rubber if the roster stays as it is now. You have two of the worst defensive d of last year anchoring your backline.

GPickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 07:31 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Random thoughts:

Why wasn't Penner signed earlier? 2 reasons come to my mind: 1) financial flexibility w.r.t. Niedermayer and Selanne 2) he wants to see what he can get for Penner's rights, either through trade or an offer sheet. Both reasons make me wonder if we won't match.

Bertuzzi's signing really put us in this position. Niedermayer was leaning toward retiring so we had to sign Schneider, but Bertuzzi was signed with no indication as to Selanne's plans. His signing meant we might not have had a top-6 spot for Penner, and made it so we couldn't re-sign him for both roster space and financial reasons. If Penner goes we'd better hope Bertuzzi's healthy and contributing, because he cost us Penner.

What is it with Lowe and offering huge money to guys who aren't proven? Torres, Pisani, Lupul, Vanek, and now Penner. It's like he's living in this crazy world where guys always reach potential and doesn't adjust for risk at all. What's Pitkanen going to want next year?

It's hard to accept Penner getting 4.3 million for our team, it's a horrible precedent for Getzlaf, Perry, and Ryan.

How would Edmonton do with Penner? The roster doesn't seem very suited for his style. Who's he going to cycle with? While he has a pretty good shot, it's not like he's a sniper and would work well with Hemsky. And the roster just seems so young both on offense and defense, with a defense that isn't very good at playing defense. Those draft picks are probably going to be pretty good.
Great post . But to be fair , Torres and Lupul didn't get " crazy money " . Pisani and Horcoff looked pretty grossly overpaid at the time , but a year and a half later those deals don't look toooo bad either . Plus they are both " yes sir , whatever you say sir " type players who work hard , never complain , and do everything the team tells them to do . MacT likes those kind of players . Don't get me wrong , I'd be happier paying both of those guys 500K less a year , but they aren't crazy deals anymore . Vanek ? Yeah that's pretty crazy - but it would have been almost 7 million sweet seeing him out there with Hemsky . Still , seven million is one seventh of the cap , that's gotta be considered crazy for a guy who's barely played 150 games in the league .

Question for you . Would you rather be paying $4 million to Penner or Bertuzzi ?

And for the guy telling Oiler fans to stay on their own board .... are you the owner here or something ?

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 07:36 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraque4PM View Post
Lupul seemed a little to high in Lowes mind, lets hope that Penners not another dead Duck.
Not like I've seen Penner play a whole lot ( didn't watch the playoffs much this year ) , but I do remember the series against the Ducks in 06 . Lupul never stood out to me . Penner had me worried almost everytime he was on the ice .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where's the Mighty View Post
Kevin Lowe + the NYR = Death of Hockey. We missed an entire season for this?
In case you did not know there is a direct link in salary and revenue...it is called the salary cap....it is 54% of league revenues....all this does is raise the price of RFA's which have in generally been under-paid now if you score 30 goals and are a restricted free agent you will get paid as much as an unrestricted free agent.....if anything it makes a GM's job harder to sign UFA's and may also reduce the ridiculous contracts of UFA's........this just bridges the gap in salaries between RFA and UFA

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:25 PM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

Well, from my standpoint, this looks more like sabotage. It's obvious that Lowe wants to take advantage of the Penner situation and eff the Ducks over that way. I seriously don't think that he's ready to give up 3 draft picks in compensation for Penner. If Lowe wanted Penner that badly, why not just trade for him or trade for his rights?

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:40 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Giggy View Post
Well, from my standpoint, this looks more like sabotage. It's obvious that Lowe wants to take advantage of the Penner situation and eff the Ducks over that way. I seriously don't think that he's ready to give up 3 draft picks in compensation for Penner. If Lowe wanted Penner that badly, why not just trade for him or trade for his rights?
Exactly what I thought. I dont think he thinks he will get Penner with Burke beign willing to move picks.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Fortius

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Giggy View Post
While you may be right about Lowe taking advantage, it goes to show you that a GM looking to improve his team is doing whatever he can to make it happen. Don't you think guys like Spezza will be made an offer sheet next year, or Ovechkin? It has always been a hands-off approach but now, not so much.

Lowe is treating it like a business, and if you want to be the best you need to take advantage of every possible weakness in your competition to make yourself better. So if Burke can't get a commitment from Scott, signs Bertuzzi for $4 million, doesn't know what Selanne will do.... and Lowe is desperate for something he doesn't have (big scoring power forward), then from a business standpoint it's a move that needs to be made. You can argue the ethics back and forth, but it's available to everyone to use. Lowe probably didn't have many people sitting at his table at the GM meetings anyway, so what's to lose for him?

Fortius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Jezz*

So they weren't willing to shell out the money to keep Smyth, but Lowe's willing to drop 4mil a year on a guy who's played only one season and has back trouble?

okay ... "The Anaheim Ducks take with the number 1 overall pick of 2009 ..."

Jezz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:54 PM
WildWinger

Duh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
In case you did not know there is a direct link in salary and revenue...it is called the salary cap....it is 54% of league revenues....all this does is raise the price of RFA's which have in generally been under-paid now if you score 30 goals and are a restricted free agent you will get paid as much as an unrestricted free agent.....if anything it makes a GM's job harder to sign UFA's and may also reduce the ridiculous contracts of UFA's........this just bridges the gap in salaries between RFA and UFA
It sounds like you need to doing a little learning about the hard cap and how it works as well. The NHL allows you to be 10% above the hard cap for this year until October 1, 2007. This means that the Ducks could, if they want to, be at $55.33m until then. The Ducks are roughly at $48m right now (give or take a few hundred thousand). This would put them at $52.5m to $53m at most if they take Dustin Penner now and then dumb that ignorant waste of human skin called Todd Bertuzzi (who spend more time injured) in the new few weeks.

WildWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Hockey Duckie

The way the Ducks have been drafting "Penner"-like players over the pas couple of years, I think Penner walks for the money. Although, Selanne needs to be convinced to play again and hopefully, one of the prospects breaks through to play the following season.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote