HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What does Penner mean for us?

Old
07-26-2007, 05:08 PM
chromemaro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
I think the thing to do in the event of an offer sheet is to not be afraid of letting guys walk and taking the compensation. If someone wants to give Carter over 4.6 mil, we dont match and open up a roster spot. While it sucks to lose a great young player, in a cap environment it is better to constantly be developing the team. Carter is not irreplacable, we have plenty of other guys who can step up.
i think richards is irreplaceable...but i dont think he would sign a sheet

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:23 PM
exlund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromemaro View Post
i think richards is irreplaceable...but i dont think he would sign a sheet
I think Richards could move up to 2nd line duty without too much difficulty...he seemed to be able to handle 1st line duty at times and played in a top 6 role after Foppa was traded....scoring 18 pts in his last 16 games. Richards showed me more than Carter has thus far. But hey, word is JC put on 10lbs of muscle and that shows commitment...maybe he'll come out with a chip on his shoulder and kick some ass.

exlund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I would hope Holmgren worries about it now instead of in a year when a team offers Carter 5 years at 25 mill.

He is smart enough to take care of his RFAs before it gets to that point, but he is not going to sit there wringing his hands about it without seeing how these guys perform this season.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 05:58 PM
BGDDYKWL

I haven't been terribly impressed by Carter thus far, so comparing him to any of Anaheim's 3 young guns is wishful thinking IMO. People feel Penner could be the next Bertuzzi, which is why despite not putting up unbelievable numbers, he'd command this type of salary. Getzlaf was very close to their best player in the playoffs, and had a very good season, so he would command considerably more than Carter. And Perry has also shown more potential (Just to put it in perspective, Perry had 130 points in 60 games in the OHL in 2005, whereas Carter had 74 points in 55 games.) and had a better season than Carter, so he would as well. If Carter does put up 30 goals and 60 points this year than this scenario could unfold, but that is very optimistic IMO. As for Coburn, he's pretty solid, but it's certainly not that difficult to replace a number 4 dman. Richards would be the one guy I would really mind losing, but I don't think the Flyers would allow that to even be a possibility.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
I haven't been terribly impressed by Carter thus far, so comparing him to any of Anaheim's 3 young guns is wishful thinking IMO. People feel Penner could be the next Bertuzzi, which is why despite not putting up unbelievable numbers, he'd command this type of salary. Getzlaf was very close to their best player in the playoffs, and had a very good season, so he would command considerably more than Carter. And Perry has also shown more potential (Just to put it in perspective, Perry had 130 points in 60 games in the OHL in 2005, whereas Carter had 74 points in 55 games.) and had a better season than Carter, so he would as well. If Carter does put up 30 goals and 60 points this year than this scenario could unfold, but that is very optimistic IMO. As for Coburn, he's pretty solid, but it's certainly not that difficult to replace a number 4 dman. Richards would be the one guy I would really mind losing, but I don't think the Flyers would allow that to even be a possibility.
Perry played on the best team in OHL history, Carter played for four years on absolute **** teams. Looking at their OHL stats is a ridiculous way of analyzing players. Richards had better OHL numbers but it's clear to ANYONE that knows the game that Carter is the better offensive player.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 06:36 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger73549 View Post
7 million if the cap DOES NOT INCREASE

It increased 6 mill this year.
Things I've read state that the cap won't go up more than 1-2 mill per year for the next 5 years or so unless something happens that triggers huge growth for the game.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Captain Pilsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Why doesn't Edmonton just use their 1st and 2nd round picks as trade bait? It seems to me you could get a better return doing that than trying to steal a 3rd line player.
doubtful, lowe's tried

Captain Pilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 06:46 PM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Why doesn't Edmonton just use their 1st and 2nd round picks as trade bait? It seems to me you could get a better return doing that than trying to steal a 3rd line player.
To get players, Oilers must draft or steal.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 07:22 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Actually, four will be the going rate if Carter and Richards blow up this year. Horton got 4 a year, Staal got 4.5. The obvious exception is Vanek, but that's the exception, not the rule. If Carter and Richards blow up in their third season of pro hockey (once again, the rule of threes - Staal takes off after his third season of pro hockey, same with Horton, same with Vanek), then 4 is a reasonable number.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:33 PM
lancer247

best case scenario for the flyers is if penner is a bust or at best very average...that would hopefully scare some teams away from making a big offer to carter or richards...however, there is always a desperate GM out there...i think penner case was helped by playing on a winning team that may have covered some of his weaknesses...he is at best a 2nd line winger and not as good as hartnell...i think homer takes care of this before it becomes an issue anyway...

as for choosing which player would easier to replace i think it would be richards... one of the areas the flyers are short is center but a center that has the potential to be a 30-35 goal scorer is even thinner in the org...judging by what they have done so far and what their potential is i would rather lose richards...i like richards but i think 3rd line checking centers are easier to replace...in the flyers system alone they have potulny and cabanna...while neither may be as good as richards they are both more capable of filling third line duty but neither have the scoring potential of carter...both cabana & potulny also appear to be just as good or better in cabana's case at faceoffs...also, downey has played some center...

also, judging by how the market is going coburn may be the most difficult to replace...6'5" mobile defensemen are at a premium and while parent, ratchuk, marshall and others are in the system i would hate to have to replace someone of coburns abilities...

i know richards has been annoited the next capt and i really like him but i think he would easiest to replace of the three...

recent article said flyers tried JVR at center so i wonder if they are keeping their options open...

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:38 PM
daynus

i've been to a pile of american citys, and most of the big canadian ones. and i have to admit, edmonton would not be on the top of the list for locales that i would choose to move to. its just not that nice of a city, the nightlife is nothing special. its lacking mountains and an ocean. i would easily take vancouver over edmonton. but if i were a hockey player, that just wamted to play hockey, i would go to what ever location. if i was an elite nhl player, with the help of god, i would not end up in edmonton. its just not my cup of tea. not every player in the league wants to go to edmonton, and i would say 90%+ that were looking at free agency or trade, would want to come to philly. philly is no edmonton. and you/we are lucky for that.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 10:08 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Perry played on the best team in OHL history, Carter played for four years on absolute **** teams. Looking at their OHL stats is a ridiculous way of analyzing players. Richards had better OHL numbers but it's clear to ANYONE that knows the game that Carter is the better offensive player.
I'm not saying OHL numbers are the end all be all, but I don't think they can be completely dismissed either, especially when while Perry was winning playoff and Memorial Cup MVP awards, Jeff Carter was winning the most gentlemanly player award. That's fantastic. Bottom line is I would take Perry over Carter, and I think Perry would get a lot more interest from other teams than Carter would. Especially when you throw in the fact that Perry is the much grittier of the two, and can actually hit and fight. I'm not saying Perry is nearly twice the player because he put up nearly twice the points in the O, but he has a track record of demonstrated success, has shown marked improvement in his two years in the NHL, and was one of the best playoff performers on an NHL Championship team. The same cannot be said for Carter.

Old
07-26-2007, 10:16 PM
McNasty

First off what Penner means for us is that Scott Hartnell at 4.2mil looks even better. As others have stated Holmgren is a smart enough GM not to allow this to happen, and if it were becoming an Issue he would take them both to arbitration to avoid it. Anaheim was vulnerable because they are at 48million and waiting on Niedermayer and Selanne.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Flyers Fan Forever

As long as we get four first rounders in return, whoever signs Carter to an offer sheet can have him.

I'm betting at least one of those guys would turn out to be better than Carter anyway.

Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:26 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
Tavares isn't eligible next year. Stamkos is.
because he is only a few days from the cutt iff some are trying to get him into thies years draft like his agent. its a win win so it may happen. especially caues he misses the deadline by such a small margin.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
If you put Penner in a group with Carter, Richards and Coburn, there is no question who the best and player with the most value is - Penner.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
I'm not saying OHL numbers are the end all be all, but I don't think they can be completely dismissed either, especially when while Perry was winning playoff and Memorial Cup MVP awards, Jeff Carter was winning the most gentlemanly player award. That's fantastic. Bottom line is I would take Perry over Carter, and I think Perry would get a lot more interest from other teams than Carter would. Especially when you throw in the fact that Perry is the much grittier of the two, and can actually hit and fight. I'm not saying Perry is nearly twice the player because he put up nearly twice the points in the O, but he has a track record of demonstrated success, has shown marked improvement in his two years in the NHL, and was one of the best playoff performers on an NHL Championship team. The same cannot be said for Carter.
Corey Perry had 25 points in 2005-2006 (.446 PPG), and 44 points in 2006-2007 (.536 PPG) while playing very sheltered minutes with Getzlaf.

Jeff Carter had 42 points in 2005-2006 (.519 PPG) despite spending the entire off-season in bed with mono, and 37 points in 2006-2007 (.597 PPG) despite a broken leg.

Corey Perry was the leading scorer for the Memorial Cup Champions, the London Knights. Jeff Carter was the leading scorer for the Calder Cup Champions, the Philadelphia Phantoms. Corey Perry won a gold medal during the World Junior Championships. Jeff Carter won a gold medal during the World Junior Champions, was an assistant captain, and broke the scoring record that was previously set by Eric Lindros.

I'd go into more detail on just how ****ing short sighted your post was, but I've got a few beers to drink yet. Peace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan View Post
because he is only a few days from the cutt iff some are trying to get him into thies years draft like his agent. its a win win so it may happen. especially caues he misses the deadline by such a small margin.
Dude, they didn't do it for Lemieux, Crosby, or Ovechkin. The NHL isn't going to do it for Tavares.

Last edited by Roger's Pancreas*: 07-27-2007 at 12:27 AM.
Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 03:10 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
Corey Perry had 25 points in 2005-2006 (.446 PPG), and 44 points in 2006-2007 (.536 PPG) while playing very sheltered minutes with Getzlaf.

Jeff Carter had 42 points in 2005-2006 (.519 PPG) despite spending the entire off-season in bed with mono, and 37 points in 2006-2007 (.597 PPG) despite a broken leg.

Corey Perry was the leading scorer for the Memorial Cup Champions, the London Knights. Jeff Carter was the leading scorer for the Calder Cup Champions, the Philadelphia Phantoms. Corey Perry won a gold medal during the World Junior Championships. Jeff Carter won a gold medal during the World Junior Champions, was an assistant captain, and broke the scoring record that was previously set by Eric Lindros.

I'd go into more detail on just how ****ing short sighted your post was, but I've got a few beers to drink yet. Peace.
You just proved my point for me. And you can leave the condescending attitude at your keyboard. This entire argument quite simply boils down to this. If both were RFAs and were both tendered offer sheets, I would damn near guarantee that Perry's would be for more than Carter's. Either argue that very specific point, or quite simply you agree with me. It is as simple as that. We can go on and on about the talent Perry's had around him, or diseases and ailments which have stricken Carter, but the bottom line is at the end of the day Perry has thus far accomplished more, and is the higher prospect (if you want to call him that) of the two at this point in time, therefore would command more money/attention on the market. So back to you proving my point for me, there have been plenty of guys who have dominated in the O and in the A, but for whatever reason it doesn't quite translate in the NHL. Carter had 42 points his rookie campaign, then followed that up with 37 points. Perry went from 25 to 44, and was also one of their best players in the playoffs. Perry has shown significant improvement, whereas Carter has not. So not only does Perry seem to be on more of an ascending path, but he also had a FAR more impressive season last year than Carter did, and that is what weighs most heavily on what teams would be willing to pay a given player. We can go back and forth about their minor league careers, and to be honest I really don't care in that both were very impressive. I only brought it up because I figured it was only a matter of time before people brought up the fact that Carter had a great playoff run with the Phantoms, so I wanted to make it clear that Perry also dominated prior to the NHL. It ended up opening a can of worms which quite frankly I have no interest in discussing. Once again, here is my point, argue this or you agree with me. Perry and Carter both get an offer sheet tomorrow, Perry's would be for more. That is damn near a fact.

Old
07-27-2007, 03:27 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love View Post
The only person signing players to offer sheets is Kevin Lowe, and he's doing it out of desparation. I wouldn't be too concerned.
RFA offer sheets make far too much sense to remain an unused aspect of the CBA. In the non-salary cap world they had the accusation of raising salary to scare them off... they didn't want to be the 'bad guy'. Salary is guaranteed now, so they can't screw that up... so that removes one block. Beyond that, the ability to poach players off of teams with cap problems is an added benefity of the salary cap to making these types of moves.

Just because GMs haven't caught onto this rational approach to the salary cap just yet doesn't mean they will. The asinine reactions whenever an offer sheet comes out merely proves the point that half of these guys haven't really thought this crap through. If Buffalo had approached their offseason with even an iota of common sense they would have had Vanek and one of Briere/Drury taken care of before it got to the point where they lost two and got screwed on the other.

Learn from their mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Do we know for sure how loyal they are though? I mean Penner just won a Cup in Anaheim and they have a great young roster, but he signed it.

I still think Homer should just use the arbitration option and then at least sign Richie and Coburn long-term. Carter I'm still a little leery about, but Richie and Coburn have both shown that they can be valuable players in this league.
This isn't about loyaly, or lack of loyalty. It's about a JOB and being compensated for your job. If someone offers you a raise, do you turn it down? As I argued in the other thread, this is the simple fact of how these players and organizations approach this situation: Employee and Employer. People can get huffy about it if they want, but all of these players would be STUPID not to sign this type of offer and it isn't a negative aspect of their character in the slightest.

Holmgren should stay away from arbitration if possible... deals in-season are the best way to go about getting these things done as arbitration is a scary thing. Neither Richards or Coburn is going to be willing to sign long-term at this point in their career after what they've done thus far... they simply haven't earned a large enough contract to make it the right move for them. 2-year deals like waht you saw Upshall sign would make the most sense.

Carter has proven he's a valuable player, perhaps not a star, but someone who will get goals in this league... just as much as the other two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Why even worry about this now?
Because Holmgren has blown his wad this offseason going into next offseason and he needs to take an approach between now and then that is planning to deal with this very situation. Holmgren has put himself at risk through his massive spending spree... he better have some thoughts on how to avoid one of these situations strangling this team.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 03:28 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Actually, four will be the going rate if Carter and Richards blow up this year. Horton got 4 a year, Staal got 4.5. The obvious exception is Vanek, but that's the exception, not the rule. If Carter and Richards blow up in their third season of pro hockey (once again, the rule of threes - Staal takes off after his third season of pro hockey, same with Horton, same with Vanek), then 4 is a reasonable number.
happily, it would be relatively shocking if Richards put up the offense to get himself up with that group of players. Carter is capable, however.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 03:51 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
happily, it would be relatively shocking if Richards put up the offense to get himself up with that group of players. Carter is capable, however.
If given decent linemates, I think Richards could very easily put up a 20 goal/40 assist season. That would put him in line with Horton's 62 point break through year. I don't think it's impossible. Carter should be capable of a 70 point season this year with Hartnell and Lupul on his wings. Yes, we know the man's a shooter, but I think having two other shooters on Carter's wings will mean he won't have to shoot as much and we might get to see how decent of a playmaker he really is.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Mythology

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
First off what Penner means for us is that Scott Hartnell at 4.2mil looks even better. As others have stated Holmgren is a smart enough GM not to allow this to happen, and if it were becoming an Issue he would take them both to arbitration to avoid it. Anaheim was vulnerable because they are at 48million and waiting on Niedermayer and Selanne.
I was thinking more the other way. Hartnell's contract set the market for Penner. Similar players, teams in similar situations willing to over pay now with the hope that the player progresses to the point where the contracts are justified and the teams are improved. Neither team is thinking they are signing 3rd line players.

Last edited by Mythology: 07-27-2007 at 06:31 AM.
Mythology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 07:12 AM
Kaktus*

21.25M for Dustin Penner? Why not got after Parise instead?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Dimitrios*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
21.25M for Dustin Penner? Why not got after Parise instead?
they might have, he probably declided

Dimitrios* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
You just proved my point for me. And you can leave the condescending attitude at your keyboard. This entire argument quite simply boils down to this. If both were RFAs and were both tendered offer sheets, I would damn near guarantee that Perry's would be for more than Carter's. Either argue that very specific point, or quite simply you agree with me. It is as simple as that.
Corey Perry had 25 points in 2005-2006 (.446 PPG) which put him at 11th for the Ducks top point getters. He had 44 points in 2006-2007 (.536 PPG) which put him at 8th for the Ducks top point getters. 56% of his points came at even strength in 2005-2006, and 54.5% of his points came at even strength in 2006-2007. In 2005-2006, Corey Perry spent a total of 2:23 seconds on the PK; in 2006-2007, Perry spent a total of 5:23 on the Ducks PK. Perry had a teammate rating of .1556 throughout the 2006-2007, and had a quality of opposition rating of -0.242. In two year, Perry has taken 32 draws, and won 38% of them. During the 2005-2006 season, Corey Perry had 24 hits in 56 games (.429 h/g); during the 2006-2007 season, Perry had 59 hits in 82 games (.720 h/g).

Jeff Carter had 42 points in 2005-2006 (.519 PPG) which put him at 6th for the Flyers top point getters. Then, in 2006-2007, he scored 37 points in (.597 PPG), good for 4th for the Flyers top point getters. 64.3% of his points came at even strength in 2005-2006, and 73.0% of his points came at even strength in 2006-2007. In 2005-2006, Carter spent a total of 20:14 on the PK; In 2006-2007, he spent a total of 143:42 on the Flyers PK. Carter had a teammate rating of .1211 throughout the 2006-2007, and had quality of opposition rating of .03. In two years, Carter has taken 1,745 draws, and won 46% of them. During the 2005-2006 season, Jeff Carter had 55 hits in 81 games gplayed (.679 h/g); during the 2006-2007 season, Carter had 44 hits in 62 games played (.710 h/g).

Perry doesn't have **** on Carter. He's totally outclassed in every statistical category. And if statistics determine paychecks, which they have a tendency to do, Carter could be looking at a higher offer-sheet than Corey "the fairy" Perry. But we can't actually definitively prove that until both players sign an offer-sheet during the same offseason.
Quote:
We can go on and on about the talent Perry's had around him, or diseases and ailments which have stricken Carter, but the bottom line is at the end of the day Perry has thus far accomplished more, and is the higher prospect (if you want to call him that) of the two at this point in time, therefore would command more money/attention on the market.
First of all, I don't want to call them prospects because they aren't. The two are NHL regulars at this point. Second, Perry's accomplishments ended at the junior level. At the NHL level, he's just a one-dimensional forward who's being spoon fed prime minutes by Carlyle, and one that had the good fortune of playing with two of the top three defensemen in the NHL, and a former Conn Smythe goaltender. At the NHL level, neither of them have accomplished dick. And I can say that because, if either of them retired in the offseason, no one would remember them in fifty years. They haven't broken any records. They haven't won any accolades. And they haven't done anything to ingrain themselves in history like playing in the Olympics or an All-Star game.
Quote:
So back to you proving my point for me, there have been plenty of guys who have dominated in the O and in the A, but for whatever reason it doesn't quite translate in the NHL. Carter had 42 points his rookie campaign, then followed that up with 37 points. Perry went from 25 to 44, and was also one of their best players in the playoffs. Perry has shown significant improvement, whereas Carter has not. So not only does Perry seem to be on more of an ascending path, but he also had a FAR more impressive season last year than Carter did, and that is what weighs most heavily on what teams would be willing to pay a given player.
Right...see above.
Quote:
We can go back and forth about their minor league careers, and to be honest I really don't care in that both were very impressive. I only brought it up because I figured it was only a matter of time before people brought up the fact that Carter had a great playoff run with the Phantoms, so I wanted to make it clear that Perry also dominated prior to the NHL. It ended up opening a can of worms which quite frankly I have no interest in discussing. Once again, here is my point, argue this or you agree with me. Perry and Carter both get an offer sheet tomorrow, Perry's would be for more. That is damn near a fact.
Gee, it's tough to argue that. Do me a favor next time and learn how to use ****ing paragraphs.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote