HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

How will teams like PittsburgH keep stars and still be competitive?

Old
07-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Killiecrankie*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Really the sens have been used and abused by the cap more then anyone.

The cap has been nothing but terrible for Ottawa but due to the good drafting and development of players they have been able to cope. But now the fluid replacement of prospects is at a bare minimum as they dont have any left.

So far due to the cap Ottawa has lost.

Chara, Havlat, Preissing, Hasek, Schaefer, DeVries, Pothier and Comrie

They have been replaced by.

Corvo, Gerber, Donovan, McCammond and Josh Hennessy. The rest of the hole have been filled by minor leaguers or draft picks.

Next year one or two of Spezza, Redden, Heatley and Fisher will be lost.

The time will come for Pittsburgh and it wont be pretty. Its really unfortunate, could you imagine if Ottawa, Buffalo and Pittsburgh were able to keep the majority of there core players? It would be outstanding offensive hockey. All the cap has done has evened everything out, the drafting development and skill of gm trades and signings has been basically dummed down to nothing.

Compensation should be higher for RFA's and the UFA age should never have been agreed too, its way to low it sucks.
Without a cap the Sens wouldnt have been able to keep ANY of Spezza, Redden, Heatley and Fisher, plus the sens have made some interesting decisions in defining and placing a value on their core. If you pay 3M for a below average goalie it DOES significantly impact the cap in building a championship club.

That is what Edmonton will find out in the coming years. Having a 4.3M cap hit for a 29 year old 30 point scorer in 3 years might limit their ability to add the final piece of that puzzle and/or retain their value players. Trading away the draft picks that enable you to have young playes and the flexability that that enables makes it even less intelligent.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Reilly*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Really the sens have been used and abused by the cap more then anyone.
If they'd stop signing 3+ million dollar back-ups, they'd be fine.

Reilly* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Luigi Lemieux

the sens couldve had havlat for what they paid gerber and corvo. it was their own fault for losing havlat and they disrespected him. havlat at 6 mill is a steal considering what some guys are going for now.

Luigi Lemieux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk421 View Post
Really? I sure don't. The only perhaps overly-optimistic thing he said was Esposito being able to fill in for Malkin/Staal.

You forgot the

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
i'm so touched that so many other fans are worried about the pens.

the cba expires in 4 years right? maybe the nhl will want to keep the pens together and include a clause that homegrown players have a smaller cap hit than what they get paid.(say 75%) how sweet would that be. the outcry would be pretty funny too.
Good luck to that.
Why do so many Pens fans have some sort of persecution complex? The question is legitimate. & fair. You have been able to amass a wealth of top tier talent due to sucking real bad for quite awhile, pretty good drafting & some luck & now there are real questions on how Pitt will retain the top tier guys given the cap issue.
Seems like a fair question to me.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 11:33 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Good luck to that.
Why do so many Pens fans have some sort of persecution complex? The question is legitimate. & fair. You have been able to amass a wealth of top tier talent due to sucking real bad for quite awhile, pretty good drafting & some luck & now there are real questions on how Pitt will retain the top tier guys given the cap issue.
Well, we've sucked for a good 5 years, that's not a crime and not unusual given the payroll structure at the time. The answer to the question is the if all the players in question are willing to work out a deal before they hit RFA status they can keep them all. In my estimation losing Malkin is the best possibility aside from that, which could very well happen, but aside from that I think it can be done fairly easily.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Good luck to that.
Its pretty simple, if they want to stay and are willing to take a fair value for their services, we can keep them all. We only have Gonchar, whitney and Sidney under contract in two years-we can keep who we want. Right now its a non issue, after their next contracts are up and they are approaching UFA-then decisions may hve to be made.

Old
07-27-2007, 11:36 AM
illogic

Quote:
Good luck to that.
Because this is about the 12033025th time the question has been asked.

illogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Good luck to that.
I used the comment first and it was in response to a smart ass comment about 'hometown discounts'. You get back what you throw up.

I answered the underlying question in a serious manner earlier in the thread. If all are even moderately reasonable (example, I think that Crosby's $8.7 m. signing was moderately reasonable) the Pens likely will have the CHOICE of whether to keep all five. It will cost them something in the neighborhood of 60% of the cap by my estimates, but that still leaves 40%, which would be $20 mil in todays cap as an example, to sign 18 players. Tough, but not bad if you are building around a Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal and Whitney in their primes. Most seem to assume that there is no way to keep them all. I give it a 50/50 shot and at worst the Pens lose one, likely Staal, and still get nice assets back for him in trade. Not a bad problem or choice to have.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 11:47 AM
jk421*

Quote:
Good luck to that.
Heh...sucking bad for quite a while? Not making the playoffs for 4 years is quite a while? The thing is though, it doesn't matter if you miss the playoffs by 1 point or 20 points. The fact is that if you don't make the playoffs you suck. A lot of teams I'm sure would have rather finished dead last and gotten Crosby then missing the playoffs by 1 point.

And the question has only been raised and answered on these boards about a million times.

Everybody feigns concern over the Penguins cap. We get it. You guys are jealous at what the Pens have. You want us to lose our players. Not a big shock.

The difference is that I have more faith in Shero than I do a lot of other GMs in the league. He will not have a Vanek type situation on his hands. He will not sign a 3 million dollar back up goaltender.

He will learn from the mistakes of the other GMs in the league. If Malkin or Staal or who ever thinks they are worth more than what Shero is offering I have faith that he will cut the cord and get something for them. And when we are talking about kids like Malkin or Staal, I'm sure he will be getting a sweet return.

Oh, and for the Flyers fan to come in here bashing the discount...heh. You don't think a 20% discount means anything? It means about 2 million dollars in cap space to me. Every dollar counts. Flyers and Sens fans should realize this. Have fun trying to stay under the cap next year guys!

Heatley is looking nice. I bet the Pens can make room for him.

Last edited by jk421*: 07-27-2007 at 11:54 AM.
jk421* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 11:50 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
A more interesting question:

Say all buy into the take a small hit to keep the team together and win some cups kool-aid that Crosby spoke of. If you could tie up Crosby ($8.7 m.), Malkin ($8.7 m.), Whitney ($4 m.), Fleury ($4 m.) and Staal ($5 m.) for 60% of your cap hit would you? I use current numbers of a shade over a $50 m. cap because obviously when they hit their peak the cap may be up, down, but likely up so for this question percent of cap hit is the only relevant way to talk of it. So say you could tie up those 5 for 60% of your budget. It would leave you $20 m. for 18 players. Would you do it if that 60% was for those five? I do not think this is a purely hypothetical situation. I honestly believe there is a very very good chance that Shero will get just such a choice. Personally I would not hesitate if all the above advance as I think that they will. Give me those five and whatever $20 m. buys in 18 players any day of the week. Would you?
You got the question right, Jaded-Fan. In two years, once Malkin and Staal are looking at second contracts, that's where the big question will come: Sid and Whitney will be getting a combined 12.7M.

Assuming Fleury gets an Emery type of deal or slightly better, which is no sure thing, then his hit would be 4M.

Staal would be a 5M deal tops, and that a million more than his brother makes. If he wants more, Shero will move him or take the 4 #1's and say thank you very much. I can't see Shero going beyond 5.5M for Staal.

Malkin is the wild card. It is not inconceivable that someone won't offer 10M in two years. Shero won't go that high. I'm sure he'd try to get Malkin done for around 7M but-- and this is pure speculation-- might go as high as 8.5M to make a deal.

Take the top numbers given-- 4M for Fleury, 5.5M for Staal, and 8.5M for Malkin. What you'd get for your top 5 players is a 30.7M commitment tops. Frankly, I'd think that it will be closer to 29M combined. But, use the 30.7M number.

Fast forward three seasons, when that 30.7M cap number would hit. It coincides with the Pens moving-- or being about to move into-- a new arena with significantly better revenue streams, something that will allow the Pens, if they are inclined, to spend 50-55M. In three years, with moderate cap growth, it's not inconceivable that the cap will be 55M. But, say it's only 53M (what, about 2.5M in cap growth over the next two seasons).

If he paid 30.7M for Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Whitney, and Fleury and if the cap grew only to 53M, then Shero would have 22M for 18 players. If he got those five on second deals for 29M combined and if the cap grew to 55M, then he'd have 26M to play with for 18 players.

The question, then, is this: Can Shero compliment his big 5 with 18 players making a combined 22M? If he drafts well and is smart with his trades, then it's not the great crisis everyone imagines.

Here are the problem spots:

1. In 2009-2010, Gonchar's last season on the books would be the first year of Malkin's and Staal's new deals. With Gonchar at a 5M cap hit, can Shero get the right 17 players for 17M (assuming he pays high for his young five and the cap is only 53M).

2. In 2009-2010, Letang will become a free agent. In what probably will be 2010-2011, Esposito would be a free agent. Shero may have an issue keeping players like this or may, at that point, explore a deal for Malkin or Staal (i.e., if Esposito pans out). As for Letang, the Pens also have Gologoski, and Shero has been drafting defensemen (i.e., he's employing the Nashville strategy of thinking you never can have enough good, young defensemen in the system).

3. In about 8 years, when Crosby, Malkin, and Staal are looking for their third contracts, then Shero may have a big problem.

While all Penguins fans appreciate the concern of fans from other teams concerned about whether the Pens can keep their young players, I fail to see how any of this becomes a problem in the next seven years. In four years, Shero may have to move Esposito or trade Malkin or Staal. In three years, he may have an issue keeping Letang. In eight years, he'll have to deal with third contracts for his stars. But, Shero is a smart GM. He drafts well. He is good at identifying talent with respect to trade discussions. So, to the fans of other teams, I echo the appreciation of Pens fans for your concern and hope you now see how misplaced that concern is.

KIRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:03 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

^^^Nice job kirk as usual. Now it's just a matter of people actually READING it.

Just a couple quick notes to go with what was said above, $22 mil. for 18 players is not a given, but it can certainly be done. The key is prospects and checking role players. If the Pens can cycle AHLers who deserve a shot at the big club and prospects who are ready to go at some point (Esposito, Sneep, etc.) then they'll be able to squeeze the rest of the team under the cap.

Early into last season I speculated that the team the Penguins have now could likely be the team they'll have for long time if they keep all these guys. In other words, all their big guns and a patchwork group that will get them into the playoffs, but not much more. However I also think that Shero has proven to be a good GM to this point, and that they can spend the right money in the right places for the team to contend for the Cup eventually.

Old
07-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
You got the question right, Jaded-Fan. In two years, once Malkin and Staal are looking at second contracts, that's where the big question will come: Sid and Whitney will be getting a combined 12.7M.

Assuming Fleury gets an Emery type of deal or slightly better, which is no sure thing, then his hit would be 4M.

Staal would be a 5M deal tops, and that a million more than his brother makes. If he wants more, Shero will move him or take the 4 #1's and say thank you very much. I can't see Shero going beyond 5.5M for Staal.

Malkin is the wild card. It is not inconceivable that someone won't offer 10M in two years. Shero won't go that high. I'm sure he'd try to get Malkin done for around 7M but-- and this is pure speculation-- might go as high as 8.5M to make a deal.

Take the top numbers given-- 4M for Fleury, 5.5M for Staal, and 8.5M for Malkin. What you'd get for your top 5 players is a 30.7M commitment tops. Frankly, I'd think that it will be closer to 29M combined. But, use the 30.7M number.

Fast forward three seasons, when that 30.7M cap number would hit. It coincides with the Pens moving-- or being about to move into-- a new arena with significantly better revenue streams, something that will allow the Pens, if they are inclined, to spend 50-55M. In three years, with moderate cap growth, it's not inconceivable that the cap will be 55M. But, say it's only 53M (what, about 2.5M in cap growth over the next two seasons).

If he paid 30.7M for Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Whitney, and Fleury and if the cap grew only to 53M, then Shero would have 22M for 18 players. If he got those five on second deals for 29M combined and if the cap grew to 55M, then he'd have 26M to play with for 18 players.

The question, then, is this: Can Shero compliment his big 5 with 18 players making a combined 22M? If he drafts well and is smart with his trades, then it's not the great crisis everyone imagines.

1. In 2009-2010, Gonchar's last season on the books would be the first year of Malkin's and Staal's new deals. With Gonchar at a 5M cap hit, can Shero get the right 17 players for 17M (assuming he pays high for his young five and the cap is only 53M).

2. In 2009-2010, Letang will become a free agent. In what probably will be 2010-2011, Esposito would be a free agent. Shero may have an issue keeping players like this or may, at that point, explore a deal for Malkin or Staal (i.e., if Esposito pans out). As for Letang, the Pens also have Gologoski, and Shero has been drafting defensemen (i.e., he's employing the Nashville strategy of thinking you never can have enough good, young defensemen in the system).

3. In about 8 years, when Crosby, Malkin, and Staal are looking for their third contracts, then Shero may have a big problem.

While all Penguins fans appreciate the concern of fans from other teams concerned about whether the Pens can keep their young players, I fail to see how any of this becomes a problem in the next seven years. In four years, Shero may have to move Esposito or trade Malkin or Staal. In three years, he may have an issue keeping Letang. In eight years, he'll have to deal with third contracts for his stars. But, Shero is a smart GM. He drafts well. He is good at identifying talent with respect to trade discussions. So, to the fans of other teams, I echo the appreciation of Pens fans for your concern and hope you now see how misplaced that concern is.

Old
07-27-2007, 12:06 PM
jk421*

Quote:

I will second the

Could you give us permission to use this in subsequent (and you know there will be) threads about this very topic?

Well said. Well said.

jk421* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:10 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
^^^Nice job kirk as usual. Now it's just a matter of people actually READING it.

Just a couple quick notes to go with what was said above, $22 mil. for 18 players is not a given, but it can certainly be done. The key is prospects and checking role players. If the Pens can cycle AHLers who deserve a shot at the big club and prospects who are ready to go at some point (Esposito, Sneep, etc.) then they'll be able to squeeze the rest of the team under the cap.

Early into last season I speculated that the team the Penguins have now could likely be the team they'll have for long time if they keep all these guys. In other words, all their big guns and a patchwork group that will get them into the playoffs, but not much more. However I also think that Shero has proven to be a good GM to this point, and that they can spend the right money in the right places for the team to contend for the Cup eventually.
Actually, I got one thing wrong. Last season didn't count as Letang's first because he went back to the Q. He won't be due his second deal until AFTER the 2009-2010 season. Unless Esposito makes the team this season, which I don't see happening, he won't be due a raise until AFTER the 2010-2011 season. So, while Shero will have Gonchar on the books for the 2009-2010 season, he won't have to worry about Letang until after Gonchar's deal comes off the books.

Old
07-27-2007, 12:16 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk421 View Post
I will second the

Could you give us permission to use this in subsequent (and you know there will be) threads about this very topic?

Well said. Well said.
Yes, as long as you make the correction: Letang's first year of his deal counts this season, so he is not up until AFTER the 2009-2010 season, which just happens to be Gonchar's last season on the books. While the new Malkin and Staal deals will hit in 2009-2010, Shero will have the luxury of Esposito, Letang, and probably Gologoski (who will be replacing Sydor for the 2009-2010 season, I would suppose) for well below market value.

Look at it this way, Shero may have 30.7M for Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Whitney, and Fleury. He may have 5M for Gonchar. But, he'll also have about 3.3M among Esposito, Letang, and Gologoski. So, for those 9 players in 2009-2010, three years from now, that's 39M tops. If the cap is only 53M, that leaves Shero 14M for 14 players. Given the 9 players he'd have under contract, as long as he makes nice, below the radar signings and drafts well, the situation is not a problem.

Frankly, I don't see Shero having to make a major deal for cap reasons until after the 2010-2011 season, and that assumes that Esposito becomes a young star.

Old
07-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Yes, as long as you make the correction: Letang's first year of his deal counts this season, so he is not up until AFTER the 2009-2010 season, which just happens to be Gonchar's last season on the books. While the new Malkin and Staal deals will hit in 2009-2010, Shero will have the luxury of Esposito, Letang, and probably Gologoski (who will be replacing Sydor for the 2009-2010 season, I would suppose) for well below market value.

Look at it this way, Shero may have 30.7M for Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Whitney, and Fleury. He may have 5M for Gonchar. But, he'll also have about 3.3M among Esposito, Letang, and Gologoski. So, for those 9 players in 2009-2010, three years from now, that's 39M tops. If the cap is only 53M, that leaves Shero 14M for 14 players. Given the 9 players he'd have under contract, as long as he makes nice, below the radar signings and drafts well, the situation is not a problem.

Frankly, I don't see Shero having to make a major deal for cap reasons until after the 2010-2011 season, and that assumes that Esposito becomes a young star.

Unlike home some with the HF mentality here might think, where having young and upcoming stars is a thing to be avoided (and some teams have been very successful at doing just that avoiding these problems altogether), that would be the best problem in the world we could ever wish for. Espo could step in while still affordable as we move say a 24 year old Staal or 27 year old Malkin for what should be a nice return and keep our core relatively intact for an additional 3 years or so. Just would be exchanging an Espo for one of Malkin or Staal as that top fve taking up 60% of the cap, or perhaps even slightly less with Espo.

Old
07-27-2007, 12:29 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Unlike home some with the HF mentality here might think, where having young and upcoming stars is a thing to be avoided (and some teams have been very successful at doing just that avoiding these problems altogether), that would be the best problem in the world we could ever wish for. Espo could step in while still affordable as we move say a 24 year old Staal or 27 year old Malkin for what should be a nice return and keep our core relatively intact for an additional 3 years or so. Just would be exchanging an Espo for one of Malkin or Staal as that top fve taking up 60% of the cap, or perhaps even slightly less with Espo.
question: aren't guys like Malkin and Crosby's bonuses factored into their cap hit? for instance I think Crosby actually earned $3.7 mil. or so last year. how is that computed when you don't know if guys will definitely hit goals until the year is over? or is it just factored in before the season even starts?

Old
07-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
question: aren't guys like Malkin and Crosby's bonuses factored into their cap hit? for instance I think Crosby actually earned $3.7 mil. or so last year. how is that computed when you don't know if guys will definitely hit goals until the year is over? or is it just factored in before the season even starts?
Yes they are. And though I have no access to his contract I am guessing that the $8.7 m. is the max he can hit if he hits all bonuses. Otherwise it would cause all kinds of headaches. I am guessing in Crosby's case most are pretty easy to achieve too giving him an pretty much guarenteed $8.7 m.

I expect that it plays out the same with eveyone else, the cap hit is the max possible with bonuses.

Old
07-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Yes they are. And though I have no access to his contract I am guessing that the $8.7 m. is the max he can hit if he hits all bonuses. Otherwise it would cause all kinds of headaches. I am guessing in Crosby's case most are pretty easy to achieve too giving him an pretty much guarenteed $8.7 m.

I expect that it plays out the same with eveyone else, the cap hit is the max possible with bonuses.
Crosby can't earn any bonuses on the 8.7 mil per deal, only his rookie contract.

But any potential bonuses on a player's deal do count towards the cap.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:55 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 1247
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
GM's will now have to pick their core players and keep them and build around.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:56 PM
SkullSplitter

Gonchar isn't going to finish his contract with the Penguins. Whitney will steal his job, and Letang will steal Whitney's job.

Bonuses can push you slightly over cap. But when the Pens are near the cap, all our big guys will be on their 2nd contracts, and you can't have bonuses on second contracts.

I really don't see a problem with the Penguins situation. There are so many possibilities and it looks hard to screw up. I'm sure Lowe or Regier or Craig Patrick could screw it up, but I think Shero's a smarter GM. Sure the Penguins aren't going to be able to keep everyone, but as long as Shero gets a good return on players he can't keep- whether it be picks or other players, he can keep the team competitive.

Take Malkin. We'll take your teams next 4 1st round picks, have Staal, Christensen (assuming he gets resigned that year), or Esposito center the 2nd line, and bring in a UFA for defense or offense whatever we need, and be able to keep Letang and Espo (if he pans out) when they go RFA, plus have a huge pool of prospects coming up through the system with the extra draft picks.

Or watch us keep Malkin and Staal, and jeer Shero for fiscal responsibility, only to see the cap rise and their contracts turn into good deals. Then you'll salivate over how many goals and assists Esposito and Letang get playing with our core, and you're Lowes and other stupid GMs will throw money at them and give us draft picks.

Or you could pray that are guys get career ending injuries. But hey, we'll be spending the cap in 2-3 years so it is a moot point, we could get other good players in trades.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Corban

Here is something that might help all of you who feel soo bad for our Penguins.....

Good luck..

Corban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:58 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:

ok thanks for the info. well then we have $22 mil. for 18 players (roughly):

$2 mil.-Crosby-$3 mil.
Staal-Malkin-$2 mil.
$1 mil.-$1 mil.-$1 mil.
$750k-$750k-$750k

Whitney-$2 mil.
$3 mil.-$2 mil.
$1 mil.-$1 mil.

Fleury
$600k

That's about $22 mil. Whew, this isn't gonna be easy. Like I said, possible but not easy. If you replace 3-4 of those with entry level guys and Espo hitting some bonuses it comes out to roughly the same.

Old
07-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Eventually we will have to move either Staal or Malkin. I'm hoping Malkin, because his extremely high offensive output will crank his contract up in the 9 million range, while Staal's defensive game will make up for not being able to put up 90 points like Malkin. Whitney is not moving, Fleury is the most important player on the team, and Crosby is obviously not moving. I think Malkin ends up out, because Jordan Staal is Ray Shero's definition player. He was Shero's first draft pick, his two-way capabilities exemplify Shero's ice philosophy,and I'm not sure we'll really be hurting for offense in the future. We can lose a couple dozen goals a year in favor of keeping a guy who might be the best PK guy in the league.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote