HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Burke match?

View Poll Results: Does Burke match Lowe's Penner offer?
Yes 164 29.50%
No 392 70.50%
Voters: 556. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-26-2007, 08:19 PM
LondonKnightsCrew

vCash: 500
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo

LondonKnightsCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:22 PM
DayQuil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr4ed2384 View Post
Heck no , Max..

Take the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and run ..
Burke can still "spend up to the $4Mil" on an FA that still out there .
There are several 2nd and 3rd tier FA players that are about equal to Penner..

The 1st is going to be a solid , at least mid round, pick in a good draft ..

PS.. next year Burke should offer one of the Sedin twins maybe $5.5 mil .. give up 2 poor end of round 1sts ..

Penner was a good FA pick up but he is almost 25 and is a UFA in 2 years.. How much more would he develop?

First of all, Burke and Nonis are best friends, and he wouldn't do anything like that to Dave. Second, the Sedins still have 2 years remaining on their contracts, third, one Sedin is usuless without the other.

DayQuil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:25 PM
DayQuil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr4ed2384 View Post
Heck no , Max..

Take the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and run ..
Burke can still "spend up to the $4Mil" on an FA that still out there .
There are several 2nd and 3rd tier FA players that are about equal to Penner..

The 1st is going to be a solid , at least mid round, pick in a good draft ..

PS.. next year Burke should offer one of the Sedin twins maybe $5.5 mil .. give up 2 poor end of round 1sts ..

Penner was a good FA pick up but he is almost 25 and is a UFA in 2 years.. How much more would he develop?
like the guy said above, Nonis and Burke are best friends. Sedins contracts are still for another 2 years.

DayQuil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayQuil View Post
First of all, Burke and Nonis are best friends, and he wouldn't do anything like that to Dave. Second, the Sedins still have 2 years remaining on their contracts, third, one Sedin is usuless without the other.
Fifth, the Sedins are UFAs at the end of their current contract, not RFAs. Sixth, even if they were RFAs, Nonis would match that 5.5 in a heartbeat and tell Burke thanks for getting his negotiations done for him.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:32 PM
PV

For what its worth, from July 6th

Ducks GM Brian Burke, meanwhile, has indicated that he will match any offer sheet for Penner, if he's presented with one.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnists/pagnotta.html

PV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Jerky Leclerc

This decision isn't only about Penner. Its about Getzlaf and Perry. If Burke matches, he would have to give up either Getzlaf or Perry next year. I don't think he is willing to do that.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Knowing Burke, I think that he is going to match. Just a gut feeling of mine.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Sandmachine

Hey

I enjoyed watching him play in the playoffs (as that was the only time I got to see him consistently). When he was skating hard, he seemed like a monster to play against. I'm not sure about what people are saying about him disappearing once he gets to Edmonton. They have some fast, skilled playmakers but seem to lack big guys with decent hands to help protect the puck down low. I think he might be what they're looking for in their top 6, maybe.

Anyways, whoever posted before about Bertuzzi filling his void seems to be right, in my opinion. Hopefully Bertuzzi stays healthy and plays as physical as he used to.

But another thing I was wondering....Should Bobby Ryan's name be mentioned in these discussions? Is he projected to be a "power forward" type as well who could eventually play alongside Perry/Getzlaf, thereby making Penner more expendable at this point? Just throwing it out there.

Sandmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Lets see, getting a top5 pick for Penner is enough reason to not match and on top of that he gets a 2nd, 3rd, and doesnt have to pay Penner 4 mill.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:57 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
There's a kid by the name of Beach who is projected to be a monster. If I'm Burke, I take the picks and hope for top ten pick, that's how good the draft is.
Can this Beach kid play for us by Oct? Because until next June draft picks are nothing but words on pieces of paper at this point. The UFA pool is dried up and we'd be left with a huge hole on the left side. I don't know about anyone else but I'm not too excited to see Travis Moen as our second-line LW.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 09:10 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
This decision isn't only about Penner. Its about Getzlaf and Perry. If Burke matches, he would have to give up either Getzlaf or Perry next year. I don't think he is willing to do that.
I'm too lazy/slow to crunch the numbers myself, but I've got to believe there's a way to keep the three of them, even at inflated prices.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

The offer sheet given to Penner (the offer sheet alone, regardless of what happens with matching it or not) drove up the prices of Perry and Getzlaf. I hate what Lowe's doing, he's screwing the leagues RFA situation into all eternity. I hate this ****ing guy.

That said, Burke should match. It's a good investment and given the choice of developing a player and a proven player, you take the proven player. Kevin Lowe is a moron, I can't wait for this clown to lose his job.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Penner can't be dealt until next year. There is a one year restriction that does not permit for a RFA to be dealt after a team has matched a qualifying offer.
Burke definitely matches this one IMO. He's already stated he will, and he's just the type of guy who will not be pushed around.

Ok I love Scott Niedermayer, but right now he's hurting the team more and more. It would be so much easier to make this decision if we knew if he was retiring or not. I think we will get an announcement from Scotty shortly saying he will retire. I hope he stays, but overal i hope he decides soon, because not knowing if you have 6 million to spend or not can't be helping Burke's decison.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 09:40 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PV View Post
For what its worth, from July 6th

Ducks GM Brian Burke, meanwhile, has indicated that he will match any offer sheet for Penner, if he's presented with one.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnists/pagnotta.html
I really find that tough to believe. As has been mentioned countless amounts of times in this thread already, this isn't just about Penner. It's about Perry and Getzlaf, and paying the two who are more irreplaceable more money.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Southern Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Lets see, getting a top5 pick for Penner is enough reason to not match and on top of that he gets a 2nd, 3rd, and doesnt have to pay Penner 4 mill.
Well I think Burke matches for sure and I am an Oil fan. I know that it is popular right now to say that the Oil are guaranteed to finish with a top 5 pick this year, but this is an unknown at this point regardless of all the cute comments that some posters make. The bottom line is you still have to play the games + the off season isn't finished yet. Also what Penner is right now is not an unknown.

My feelings on the past couple of offer sheets are:
- Vanek: didn't understand it as I thought there was absolutely 0 chance of Buffalo letting him go, especially after the summer they have had.
- Penner: I like the situation more because the Ducks are closer to the cap, but I like the player a lot less that the first situation. For the record, I hope Burke matches.

Southern Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 10:46 PM
blueliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Ok I love Scott Niedermayer, but right now he's hurting the team more and more. It would be so much easier to make this decision if we knew if he was retiring or not....I hope he stays, but overal i hope he decides soon, because not knowing if you have 6 million to spend or not can't be helping

Hmmm, wouldn't suggest this is becoming pattern-forming with Niedermayer would ya?

blueliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Duck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
Well

Bertuzzi, 2 early first round picks, 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick > Penner
Do we have two first round picks? Wasn't our first pick traded to Edmonton in the Pronger deal? Did we acquire another one that I don't know about?

Duck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 10:56 PM
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
The offer sheet given to Penner (the offer sheet alone, regardless of what happens with matching it or not) drove up the prices of Perry and Getzlaf. I hate what Lowe's doing, he's screwing the leagues RFA situation into all eternity. I hate this ****ing guy.

That said, Burke should match. It's a good investment and given the choice of developing a player and a proven player, you take the proven player. Kevin Lowe is a moron, I can't wait for this clown to lose his job.
I dont understand what point your trying to make?
If it's a good investment (as you stated) than why is Lowe a moron?
I would actually agree with what your trying to say in the pre-cap days but now that there is a salary cap Lowe could spend whatever he deems fit as long as he gets all his players in under the cap (which he will).
Like you said, its a good investment for Lowe if he gets Penner and if not it ties the hand of Burke, so I ask you again, why is Lowe a Moron, and why on earth would he get fired??

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:07 PM
white_tiger

No he isn;t worth that much money and the picks will be very useful to you guys.

white_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:24 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Does Burke have a press conferance or anything scheduled for tomorrow?

I hope he makes up his mind as quickly as the Sabres did instead of dragging this out.

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Ringo13

Quote:

If you actually step back and think about it, offers like this are what will create parity in the NHL. You can villify Lowe if you want to but....
Imagine applying what over the course of MANY, MANY, years has made the NFL so successful to the NHL.

Ringo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN View Post
I dont understand what point your trying to make?
If it's a good investment (as you stated) than why is Lowe a moron?
I would actually agree with what your trying to say in the pre-cap days but now that there is a salary cap Lowe could spend whatever he deems fit as long as he gets all his players in under the cap (which he will).
Like you said, its a good investment for Lowe if he gets Penner and if not it ties the hand of Burke, so I ask you again, why is Lowe a Moron, and why on earth would he get fired??
Lowe is a moron in the sense that he is going to make it more difficult on him to be able to keep his own players when this time comes, and a moron in the sense that it is going to drastically drive the price of RFA's up for the entire league. We'll see what happens later on down the road, but I'm fairly certain this won't be a good thing for anyone.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 01:01 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Fan View Post
Do we have two first round picks? Wasn't our first pick traded to Edmonton in the Pronger deal? Did we acquire another one that I don't know about?
Sorry, the first press release from the offer sheet signing said the Ducks would get two first round picks as part of the compensation. It is only 1 1st, 1 2nd and 1 3rd.

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 01:08 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Lowe is a moron in the sense that he is going to make it more difficult on him to be able to keep his own players when this time comes, and a moron in the sense that it is going to drastically drive the price of RFA's up for the entire league. We'll see what happens later on down the road, but I'm fairly certain this won't be a good thing for anyone.
Well considering there is a cap, the only thing that will happen is UFAs will get less and teams won't be able to hoard UFAs because of their cheap but equally effective RFAs. So Lowe is leveling the playing field between RFA and UFA, so the UFA market will open up.

And if GMs come and sign our kids then fine, we'll match if the deal if it's reasonable, and take the picks if it's not. Exactly what every other GM should do in the same circumstance.

I can understand fans of teams being upset with these actions, but Lowe is looking out for the Oilers. That's his job.

And for those hoping he's fired soon, don't hold your breathe. He is well supported in this town on these RFA offers, and the current and potential future owner groups love him. Lowe isn't going anywhere.

And finally, since I haven't posted here since then, congratulations on the Cup. Your teams was unbelievable last year

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 01:18 AM
Akingnomore07*

I bet Burke is going to drive Penner to the airport early in the morning tomorrow. Then he's going to go to the press conference and layeth the smack down on KLowe for his [edited] antics.

And I'd rather take the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks from the Oilers because Penner ain't worth that much.

Last edited by Jerky Leclerc: 07-27-2007 at 02:19 AM.
Akingnomore07* is offline   Reply With Quote