HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Burke match?

View Poll Results: Does Burke match Lowe's Penner offer?
Yes 164 29.50%
No 392 70.50%
Voters: 556. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Finnpin

vCash: 500
I bet Burke is calling Scott and Teemu and trying to get answers fast...

It depends a lot what the guys will tell him or maybe the week just isn't enough.

I still say NO...take the picks!

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 02:30 AM
matt trick

As a sharks fan, I would love to see Penner out of the Pacific, he destroyed us last year. However, three years down the line when the ducks have drafted a legit top winger, top 4 dman and a decent third liner (due to the great scouting, excellent draft) with their three picks I will wish it was Penner who was still on the ducks.
That said I cant see Burke allowing Lowe the pleasure of stealing his players.

matt trick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 02:35 AM
Akingnomore07*

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
As a sharks fan, I would love to see Penner out of the Pacific, he destroyed us last year. However, three years down the line when the ducks have drafted a legit top winger, top 4 dman and a decent third liner (due to the great scouting, excellent draft) with their three picks I will wish it was Penner who was still on the ducks.
That said I cant see Burke allowing Lowe the pleasure of stealing his players.
I'm hoping that we sign Penner as a slap to Klowe's face. Then package Penner and Bryz for a highly touted prospect that's ready to play in the nhl

Akingnomore07* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 02:40 AM
Akingnomore07*

What do you guys think of Nicklas Backstrom from the Capitals?

To Anaheim:
Backstrom
2nd round
3rd round

To Washington:
Penner
Bryzgalov

Akingnomore07* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 02:41 AM
matt trick

Not to come on your board and tell you what can and cant be done or anything but I believe Penner regardless of where he ends up now, he cannot be traded for a year. If you go back to last year and the Kesler offer sheet, there was a thread everyday, in which it had to be stated Kesler cant be traded, Im not exactly sure why that is, but the CBA does not permit it.

I was also thinking that would be the way to handle a similar situation (i.e. Michalek) until remembering the Kesler fiasco earlier. It seems it would be more ideal for a team to trade that player for an indentical package but to a different team, one that didnt screw you over!

matt trick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 03:20 AM
psg

Most other GMs in the league would take the picks and run with them. Not Burke. I fully expect Burke to match, though I'm not sure I'd agree with that decision.

Now if only Selanne and Nieds could make up their minds so we can assess if we can afford to lose any more scoring depth.

psg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 04:11 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akingnomore07 View Post
I'm hoping that we sign Penner as a slap to Klowe's face. Then package Penner and Bryz for a highly touted prospect that's ready to play in the nhl
We can't trade Penner for at least a year to my understanding.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 04:12 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner View Post
Hmmm, wouldn't suggest this is becoming pattern-forming with Niedermayer would ya?
They are both amazing players, but I'm ready for an answer... It really is hurting this team right now.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 06:12 AM
ktulu98

if burke will thing as a businessman he will take picks
if burke will thing as a proud GM of SC champs he will match

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Jay Cee
P4G

You Ducks fans should be ashamed of not knowing your GM so well. I would bet $10,000.00 that Burke matches, without question. It is really a no brainer that he will.

Jay Cee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 11:19 AM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
take those picks and run!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 11:21 AM
heusy_57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akingnomore07 View Post
What do you guys think of Nicklas Backstrom from the Capitals?

To Anaheim:
Backstrom
2nd round
3rd round

To Washington:
Penner
Bryzgalov
From what i've heard and seen of Backstrom, he is a top 5 talent outside the NHL right now, I don't think Washington would touch this.

heusy_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Jerky Leclerc

Derek Roy signs 6 yr for 24 million dollars. Sounds like comparable money to Penner. Right now the Bertuzzi contract is hurting our chances of re-signing Penner.

If we can move Bertuzzi...hmmm....

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

I think he'll let Penner walk.
He's already picked up Bertuzzi who is very similar to Penner....if Temmu returns they don't lose much.

07-27-2007, 11:58 AM
redsox18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
Derek Roy signs 6 yr for 24 million dollars. Sounds like comparable money to Penner. Right now the Bertuzzi contract is hurting our chances of re-signing Penner.

If we can move Bertuzzi...hmmm....
Well let me tell you there is no chance in hell of Burke being able to move Bertuzzi. You probably couldn't give him away for that kind of money. That was a stupid signing!

redsox18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:00 PM
redsox18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post
I think he'll let Penner walk.
He's already picked up Bertuzzi who is very similar to Penner....if Temmu returns they don't lose much.
And don't forget you guys have Bobby Ryan coming who brings a similar element to the game like Penner. And especially with Kunitz as a UFA and Getzlaf and Perry as RFA's next year (and theyll both get over 5M and Getz may even get 6+M) Burke is stupid to match this.

redsox18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:33 PM
cyrisweb

Assuming Burke matches and signs Penner.. he has to dump some salary.

I'm sure Nonis would love to help Burke out!...

What is the Ducks current situation with defensive prospects? do they have anybody ready to come into the NHL?

Assuming you use Marchant as a salary dump..
how about something like

Ryan, Marchant for Bourdon/Edler and a conditional 2nd/1st.

cyrisweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:37 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Not to come on your board and tell you what can and cant be done or anything but I believe Penner regardless of where he ends up now, he cannot be traded for a year. If you go back to last year and the Kesler offer sheet, there was a thread everyday, in which it had to be stated Kesler cant be traded, Im not exactly sure why that is, but the CBA does not permit it.

I was also thinking that would be the way to handle a similar situation (i.e. Michalek) until remembering the Kesler fiasco earlier. It seems it would be more ideal for a team to trade that player for an indentical package but to a different team, one that didnt screw you over!
I'm of the impression that if we don't match, the Oilers could trade Penner. I only remember seeing restrictions on the "prior team" (the Ducks) for trading.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:44 PM
cyrisweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
You Ducks fans should be ashamed of not knowing your GM so well. I would bet $10,000.00 that Burke matches, without question. It is really a no brainer that he will.
I tend to agree, I just don't see Burke letting K.Lowe win this one.. especially this way.. I say Burke matches..

and with that in mind I like my proposed trade even more. Bourdon, and a 1st/2nd
for Ryan and Marchant, maybe even throw Shannon in and give him back to replace Marchant on the 4th line.

cyrisweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 02:21 PM
zeppelin97

I wouldn't be suprised if Burke matches just to give the middle finger to Lowe (as in, your not going to pull **** like this with me), and maybe trades Penner for less value than the picks.

zeppelin97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

As much as I like Penner, there is NO WAY I would agree to pay that kid $4 million a year. He still has a lot to prove. Edmonton is desperate, and desperate times call for desperate measures. Anaheim should not be desperate, that team is loaded with talent even without Selanne or Niedermayer...

I think Burke will let Penner go and take the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox18 View Post
Well let me tell you there is no chance in hell of Burke being able to move Bertuzzi. You probably couldn't give him away for that kind of money. That was a stupid signing!
It's only stupid if Bertuzzi doesn't rebound. He's proven he can compete at a high level. Hell, he was the premier power forward in the league until the incident. Big Bert could very well replace Penner's numbers completely, and maybe then some. It depends on his health, and how Burke and Carlyle motivate him.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Sandman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
It's only stupid if Bertuzzi doesn't rebound. He's proven he can compete at a high level. Hell, he was the premier power forward in the league until the incident. Big Bert could very well replace Penner's numbers completely, and maybe then some. It depends on his health, and how Burke and Carlyle motivate him.
There's a huge difference in the Stale Bert and the Good one. The difference is that he WANTS to play well again and asked for Burke to pick him up. Thats all the difference in the world. He was very jaded before but now he will return to what he once was, because enough time has passed and the really wants to. He's still relatively young anyway.

Sandman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 03:53 PM
sarcastro

Bert's contract looks extra stupid now...

I wouldn't match this if I were Burke, not unless I could make some sort of deal with Edmonton that would get more than a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd, like NBA teams sometimes do with their RFAs.

Then again, this could be a gauntlet-throwing moment for Burke, who has a very, very high opinion of himself. He may decide that nobody is going to mess with his RFAs, no matter how bad the contract is or what the circumstances are.

On the one hand, letting Penner go could send the message that Getzlaf and Perry will be open targets next summer, and that Burke will be willing to let them go if you throw enough loot at them.

On the other hand, keeping Penner could drive up the prices on those two players so much that the Ducks will have no chance to match any offers for them anyway.

I'm not a big Perry fan, so I would try to lock up Getzlaf ASAP and then let the Perry situation shake itself out next summer. And I would let Penner walk, because that's just too much freaking money for such an unproven (and slowfooted, and often lazy/disappearing) player. The "winner" of this sweepstakes could end up with another Joffrey Lupul or Viktor Kozlov or Oleg Kvasha, and paying him 4.3 mil a year to boot. Too risky.

And as to the folks who call Penner a "playoff warrior", keep in mind his playoff numbers declined this year, despite the fact that he played 8 more games. His playoff numbers are ok, just like his regular season numbers. If I'm a GM, I don't give ok players long term deals at 4.3 mil a year. Especially if letting him go means I get lots of picks, including one that's probably a top 10 that will be in my lineup by 2009. Then again, I wouldn't have spent that money on Bertuzzi, and without him on the roster, there would be no question about whether Burke would match.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Spiral

I hope BB don't match. That's way too much money for Penner. I'll let him go and take the picks.
The PPG line is done. Introducing, the RPG line!

Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote