HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Does Burke match?

View Poll Results: Does Burke match Lowe's Penner offer?
Yes 164 29.50%
No 392 70.50%
Voters: 556. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-29-2007, 03:23 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

vCash: 50
Burke should definately take those picks!

TaiMaiShu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Lyons71

vCash: 500
Getzlaf > Penner
Perry > Penner

In order to have the money to sign these guys next off season he has to let Pens go...

I would prefer that he lets Penner go, but I think (and voted) that he will match it.

Should have signed him before this happened and definitely before signing the injured Bertuzzi...

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Fighter
Legend

I fear Burke will match the offer, but I would prefer he take the picks.

Never been a big fan of Penner, one game he's dominant, the other he's invisible.

Fighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Kick Save

I wouldn't put my money on Burke matching the offer simply because he said he would do so a few weeks ago. Burke is a master of misdirection. He's not going to show his opponents his cards.

Matching makes it likely that we will lose Getz or Perry next season. Penner's contract would automatically mark the starting point in negotiations for Getz and Perry's agents.

Take the three picks. Although there aren't that many good power forwards, somebody will be available around the trading deadline. That first draft pick and/or Bryzgalov gives us some clout in the trade market.

I'm not knocking Penner. He needs to do what's best for him. But I can't see Burke giving him a tenfold salary increase [from $425 or so to $4.2 mil).

Kick Save is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 09:29 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Burke likely to announce his decision Tuesday?

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 10:05 PM
iLau
Always Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE View Post
Burke likely to announce his decision Tuesday?
Who knows.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Qubax

I'd let him go take the picks and run..

you've got to think at worst the Ducks are a playoff team and they'll plenty of extra picks to make a bid for Marian Hossa or some other potential deadline UFA...

saving the money and gaining the picks to me is a no brainer...you really think that he could otherwise trade him for this many picks?

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 10:56 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Yes, Burke will match.

Oh, sorry. For a minute there, I forgot that Burke wasn't a blithering idiot.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 04:10 AM
ktulu98

when is the 7 days deadline?

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 04:21 AM
iLau
Always Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu98 View Post
when is the 7 days deadline?
Thursday, I believe.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 06:11 AM
BigCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
you really think that he could otherwise trade him for this many picks?
It is possible that Burke could match and trade to EDM for the something slightly better... Who knows. A sign and trade is possible, and it depends on how badly KLowe wants Penner. I would not put it past Burke to maximize his return in this way.

BigCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 06:34 AM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanadian View Post
It is possible that Burke could match and trade to EDM for the something slightly better... Who knows. A sign and trade is possible, and it depends on how badly KLowe wants Penner. I would not put it past Burke to maximize his return in this way.
No. Penner is untradeable for one year.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Mr Sakich

no he can trade penner to the oilers. It would have to work like this

1) edm and burke agree to a fair compensation - say Torres or Greene

2) anaheim doesn't match the offer and gets the oiler picks

3) anaheim trades the 3 picks to edmonton for Torres or greene

btw, this is what I beleive is actually happening right now. Burke may have been shopping Penner because he wasn't getting anywhere negotiating with his agent and it may have become clear to burke that Penner would not fit his team budget. Lowe likes Penner and decides to force the issue.

Lowe did the offer sheet to force burke into trading with him and only him.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 08:39 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnasaurus View Post
No. Penner is untradeable for one year.
And depending on how things work out, he could be untradeable for 5 years.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 08:42 AM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
no he can trade penner to the oilers. It would have to work like this

1) edm and burke agree to a fair compensation - say Torres or Greene

2) anaheim doesn't match the offer and gets the oiler picks

3) anaheim trades the 3 picks to edmonton for Torres or greene

btw, this is what I beleive is actually happening right now. Burke may have been shopping Penner because he wasn't getting anywhere negotiating with his agent and it may have become clear to burke that Penner would not fit his team budget. Lowe likes Penner and decides to force the issue.

Lowe did the offer sheet to force burke into trading with him and only him.
He would be moronic to take any players off their roster for Penner...he will not do this when the main attraction of letting him walk is the cost savings to put towards the next wave of RFA's on the team. He will either take the picks or re-sign him.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:02 AM
miser

Burke wouldn't. Ownership would.
Therefore Anaheim takes the picks. Burke has another press conference lambasting Lowe.

miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:12 AM
Mr Sakich

in 2 years, Burke will have one dman signed to a contract, the rest will be ufa. It wouldn't be moronic to get a young dman to groom to be ready in 2 years for big minutes.

At some point, Burke will have to start aquiring dmen. Given Burke's allergic reaction to draft picks, he might prefer one of edmonton's yong dmen as we have extra - Smid, Pitkanen, Greene, Grebeshkov, and Gilbert are NHL ready. Roy, SYvret, and Chorney are close. There is no way the Oilers can compete for a playoff spot with 5 youngsters on defence.

Bob Stauffer (Team 1260 Edmonton sports radio) firmly believes the oilers will trade Pitkanen prior to the season. Maybe the deal is Penner plus a first or two for Pitkanen?? He would be a great replacement for Neidermeyer.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:18 AM
dre2112

As much as I like Penner, he is NOT worth $4M+ over the next 5 years. I think he's a little overrated because he has a big body with decent speed, and most importantly was undrafted and slipped under the radar.

I wasn't too impressed Penner these playoffs, and I'm begining to wonder how many of his 29 goals could be replaced by almost any capable winger playing alongside the uber talented Getzlaf?

I don't see how he can put up similar numbers in Edmonton. Since Edmonton will be among the bottom ranked teams next season, I say at least one of their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks have a very good chance of being a better player than Penner without a $4.3M payroll.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:29 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
in 2 years, Burke will have one dman signed to a contract, the rest will be ufa. It wouldn't be moronic to get a young dman to groom to be ready in 2 years for big minutes.

At some point, Burke will have to start aquiring dmen. Given Burke's allergic reaction to draft picks, he might prefer one of edmonton's yong dmen as we have extra - Smid, Pitkanen, Greene, Grebeshkov, and Gilbert are NHL ready. Roy, SYvret, and Chorney are close. There is no way the Oilers can compete for a playoff spot with 5 youngsters on defence.

Bob Stauffer (Team 1260 Edmonton sports radio) firmly believes the oilers will trade Pitkanen prior to the season. Maybe the deal is Penner plus a first or two for Pitkanen?? He would be a great replacement for Neidermeyer.
You might be right that we'd prefer a young dman to picks. Which is why Lowe should have gone to Burke a week ago and suggested a trade, with the threat of an RFA offer sheet instead of pissing Burke off and skewing RFA salaries. But if there is a followup trade, don't expect your 1st back. Unless you give your first in 09 to us as well. Keeping the pick from Edmonton to prevent an offer sheet might be as important as the pick itself.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:32 AM
TK79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdHC View Post
As much as I like Penner, he is NOT worth $4M+ over the next 5 years. I think he's a little overrated because he has a big body with decent speed, and most importantly was undrafted and slipped under the radar.

I wasn't too impressed Penner these playoffs, and I'm begining to wonder how many of his 29 goals could be replaced by almost any capable winger playing alongside the uber talented Getzlaf?

I don't see how he can put up similar numbers in Edmonton. Since Edmonton will be among the bottom ranked teams next season, I say at least one of their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks have a very good chance of being a better player than Penner without a $4.3M payroll.
Let him walk and take the picks, one of which will likely be a top 10 pick. I feel Penners market value at the moment should be around 2,5, certainly nowhere near 4,2.

TK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 10:53 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb View Post
I tend to agree, I just don't see Burke letting K.Lowe win this one.. especially this way.. I say Burke matches..

and with that in mind I like my proposed trade even more. Bourdon, and a 1st/2nd
for Ryan and Marchant, maybe even throw Shannon in and give him back to replace Marchant on the 4th line.
I fail to see how letting Lowe vastly overpay and give up picks for him is letting Lowe win? Lowe is the loser here no matter what Burke does.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 11:28 AM
AM

When do you guys think Burke will respond?

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 11:30 AM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
You might be right that we'd prefer a young dman to picks. Which is why Lowe should have gone to Burke a week ago and suggested a trade, with the threat of an RFA offer sheet instead of pissing Burke off and skewing RFA salaries. But if there is a followup trade, don't expect your 1st back. Unless you give your first in 09 to us as well. Keeping the pick from Edmonton to prevent an offer sheet might be as important as the pick itself.

How do you know he didnt?

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 11:40 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I can see him matching just to make a statement. If every offer sheet gets matched, we won't see offer sheets too often.
Why? Is there some sort of penalty for making an offer sheet that gets matched?

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 11:54 AM
caliamad

If het matches this, Burke will be under the gun until next offseason when Perry/Getzlaf are FAs.

I would have thought losing 1 was a possibility and Perry would have been my 1st choice, but I think we do the best w/ what we have and take the picks regardless of what teamu or scotty do.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote