HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Does Burke match?

View Poll Results: Does Burke match Lowe's Penner offer?
Yes 164 29.50%
No 392 70.50%
Voters: 556. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Pepper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE View Post
I have center ice and Ducks are one of the few teams I can catch while I am up late (which is when I catch most games) I saw a tons of the Ducks last year and Penner was arguably your most feared forward on the power play. No one can handle this guy in front. That allowed Perry, Teemu, and Getzlaf ect. who ever was on the ice with him to skate with little duress.
AndyMac and Teemu were both far more dangerous on PP.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 10:42 AM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
That's true. I agree.

I wonder how AndyMac will do this year if Teemu doesn't return? Would he be on a line with Kunitz?

Also, if Penner doesn't return do you guys think Bertuzzi takes his spot with Getz and Perry or does Bobby Ryan step into that role?

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Cyclops II*

Quote:

And that doesn't contradict what X-Sharkie said. They are dangerous on their own but they are even more dangerous if the opponent is concentrating too much on moving Penner out from in front of the net and not enough on McDonald & Selanne.

Cyclops II* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 11:18 AM
X-SHARKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II View Post
And that doesn't contradict what X-Sharkie said. They are dangerous on their own but they are even more dangerous if the opponent is concentrating too much on moving Penner out from in front of the net and not enough on McDonald & Selanne.
Thank you, that is all I was saying. Teams had to have at least one defender glued to Penner at all times and often they would have another float around Penner to help out. This gave guys on the point like Getzlaf and Pronger more time and space as well as the guys like Teemu, McDonald, and Perry down low.

Not taking away from the skill or game breaking qualities all those players possess but Penner is the kind of player that opens the ice for his teammates and he's a pretty darn good finisher too.

Old
08-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
I hope he lets him go. Then complains about it all year and develops a mean hate on for KL. It would be great entertainment.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Zymergist

Quote:
Thank you, that is all I was saying. Teams had to have at least one defender glued to Penner at all times and often they would have another float around Penner to help out. This gave guys on the point like Getzlaf and Pronger more time and space as well as the guys like Teemu, McDonald, and Perry down low.
See, I saw things differently on PP. I saw a players ignoring Penner a lot and staying out more towards Pronger, Bouch, Selanne, and Scotty. The PP always seemed to get more lethal when Penner rotated out of the middle and Scotty sneaked in there.

Penner did a good job out there, I am not trying to take that away from him, I just never saw Penner open up the PP that much. He was just not considered that lethal out there compared to the freak'n lazer beam that comes off of Prongers slapshot. Penner did a great job of screening the goalie though, which is the main reason he was there IMO.

Zymergist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 12:20 PM
soya_sauce_chicken

Quote:
and if you actually watched a lot of our games you would know that Penner hardly was in the PP
They would put him in towards the end of it.
Getzlaf had more PP time

soya_sauce_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
in 2 years, Burke will have one dman signed to a contract, the rest will be ufa. It wouldn't be moronic to get a young dman to groom to be ready in 2 years for big minutes.

At some point, Burke will have to start aquiring dmen. Given Burke's allergic reaction to draft picks, he might prefer one of edmonton's yong dmen as we have extra - Smid, Pitkanen, Greene, Grebeshkov, and Gilbert are NHL ready. Roy, SYvret, and Chorney are close. There is no way the Oilers can compete for a playoff spot with 5 youngsters on defence.

Bob Stauffer (Team 1260 Edmonton sports radio) firmly believes the oilers will trade Pitkanen prior to the season. Maybe the deal is Penner plus a first or two for Pitkanen?? He would be a great replacement for Neidermeyer.

why do you keep pumping this idiotic proposal in both forums...it isnt goin gto happen, especially for that return from the Ducks

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 02:01 PM
the word*

Calm down everybody. You will know within 24 hours, wether you can definitively bash or praise Penner, you hockey experts

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
Calm down everybody. You will know within 24 hours, wether you can definitively bash or praise Burke, you hockey experts

FYP

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Yes but that doesn't make him more feared than either Andy Mac, Teemu or even Getzlaf.

All of those are much more feared on PP for various reasons, Teemu for his overall great play, Andy Mac for his playmaking and Getzlaf for booming shot.

Simply being hard to move from the net doesn't make you the most feared PP forward of the Ducks.

You can ask any opponent which forward they fear they most during Ducks PP and I can pretty much guarantee that nobody would mention Penner.

If Penner was so feared around the league, he wouldn't have been behind Chris Kunitz in PP ice time.

Old
08-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Andy Mac for his playmaking.
I have to admit sometimes he annoys me on the Power Play. Sometimes he holds the puck forever on the half wall, waits until someone gets in front of him and then fires it into the defenseman....he's the sickness in transition though.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Getzlaf, Teemu, AndyMac and Chris Kunitz had more time on PP than Penner, Perry was close to Penner in 5th.

Sorry, I just don't agree with your view. He was far from being the most dangerous Ducks forward on PP.

Old
08-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by soya_sauce_chicken View Post
and if you actually watched a lot of our games you would know that Penner hardly was in the PP
They would put him in towards the end of it.
Getzlaf had more PP time
I have no idea how often Penner was on the PP. My point was that IF defenders were guarding him with 1 1/2 guys on the PP then they were just as worried about him as the other Ducks and that might contribute to the totals for the other members of the PP. it maty appear to us to be ridiculous that an opponent would be more concerned about penner than Selanne but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

Cyclops II* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

He was soo dangerous on the pp, he was given the least amount of pp ice time amongst regular forwards.

That's dangerous he was. It just wasn't fair to put him out there more often. You know - because of the extreme danger.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Mr Sakich

Burke might be doing the Kings a huge favour by not making a decision until tomorrow. Only Standard Player Contracts can be used as comparables in arbitration hearings . Cammereli's arb meeting is tomorrow and, unless Burke makes a decision, his agent can't use Penner as a comparable.

Right now, Penner has not signed a contract, just the offer sheet.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:14 PM
X-SHARKIE

Quote:
Getzlaf, Teemu, AndyMac and Chris Kunitz had more time on PP than Penner, Perry was close to Penner in 5th.

Sorry, I just don't agree with your view. He was far from being the most dangerous Ducks forward on PP.
Settle down. All I said was that Penner was "arguably" your most feared forward on the power play.

Watch the tape, he consistently drew two guys to him when he was in front of the net. That opened up the ice for Getzlaf, Pronger, ect. Just like Ryan Smyth did in Edmonton for Ales Hemsky.

That's all I am saying. I'm still surprised how quick Ducks fans want to throw this guy to the curb for picks.

Old
08-01-2007, 03:16 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bright Side View Post
He was soo dangerous on the pp, he was given the least amount of pp ice time amongst regular forwards.

That's dangerous he was. It just wasn't fair to put him out there more often. You know - because of the extreme danger.

For the record, Kunitz, and even little Todd Marchant also spent time as our screen when Penner wasn't on his game.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:18 PM
X-SHARKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post

For the record, Kunitz, and even little Todd Marchant also spent time as our screen when Penner wasn't on his game.
It's more than a screen though, it is about opening the ice for his line mates. I remember watching Scott Hannan and Vlasic work on him together and they still couldn't contain him as guys like Getzlaf and Perry had all day to work down low.

You win with guys like Penner.

Old
08-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Pepper

Quote:
I have no idea how often Penner was on the PP. My point was that IF defenders were guarding him with 1 1/2 guys on the PP then they were just as worried about him as the other Ducks and that might contribute to the totals for the other members of the PP. it maty appear to us to be ridiculous that an opponent would be more concerned about penner than Selanne but that doesn't mean it isn't true.
Any coach that puts 1 and of 2 d-men to guarding ONE FORWARD with players like Teemu, AndyMac, Geztlaf etc. creating havoc at the same time IS DOWNRIGHT BRAINDEAD.

And yes, there ain't a single (sane) person who can seriously claim that opponents were more concered about Penner (4th in PP time among forwards!!) than Selanne.

That's just total BS.

Old
08-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Settle down. All I said was that Penner was "arguably" your most feared forward on the power play.
Settle down, all I said that I don't agree with you at all.

Quote:
Watch the tape, he consistently drew two guys to him when he was in front of the net. That opened up the ice for Getzlaf, Pronger, ect. Just like Ryan Smyth did in Edmonton for Ales Hemsky.
Watch the tape, watch the scoresheets, watch the stats. Selanne was FAR more feared on PP, anyone who claims otherwise just hasn't been paying attention.

Old
08-01-2007, 03:44 PM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
Burke might be doing the Kings a huge favour by not making a decision until tomorrow. Only Standard Player Contracts can be used as comparables in arbitration hearings . Cammereli's arb meeting is tomorrow and, unless Burke makes a decision, his agent can't use Penner as a comparable.

Right now, Penner has not signed a contract, just the offer sheet.
Just another example of Burke piling up good will with fellow GMs.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:45 PM
AVE MAN

Penner scored 30 goals as a rookie, how many will he score in 3 years? 40 goals? 50 goals?

Burke will match because he'd be an idiot not to. You don't let a 6 foot 5, 245lb potential 50 goal scorer walk away from your team.

However, Tampa fans have been complaining that they have 20 million dollars tied up in 3 players.
If Burke matches,thats almost 15 million tied up in Schneider, Bertuzzi annd Penner. Only a 5 million dollar difference from Leclavier, St.louis and Richards.

Wow...

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:56 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
It's more than a screen though, it is about opening the ice for his line mates. I remember watching Scott Hannan and Vlasic work on him together and they still couldn't contain him as guys like Getzlaf and Perry had all day to work down low.

You win with guys like Penner.
You must be talking about an early game, and not our 1st unit. Penner, Perry and Getzlaf served as our 2nd unit for the first part of the season, but later Getzlaf was moved up to the 1st unit with McDonald and Selanne and wouldn't be on the ice with Penner and Perry.

But yes, Penner can be a huge load. The only problem is he hasn't done it often enough. Which isn't a major problem for a rookie, but is a major problem for someone making 4.24 million.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Where's the Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN View Post
Penner scored 30 goals as a rookie, how many will he score in 3 years? 40 goals? 50 goals?

Burke will match because he'd be an idiot not to. You don't let a 6 foot 5, 245lb potential 50 goal scorer walk away from your team.

However, Tampa fans have been complaining that they have 20 million dollars tied up in 3 players.
If Burke matches,thats almost 15 million tied up in Schneider, Bertuzzi annd Penner. Only a 5 million dollar difference from Leclavier, St.louis and Richards.

Wow...
Hey if the Ducks had one, im sure they wouldnt let him walk away, you need to stop overrating a solid player, you make Penner out to be this 1st Team NHLer in the future or something and he's not. You look foolish with these statements.

Where's the Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote