HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Does Burke match?

View Poll Results: Does Burke match Lowe's Penner offer?
Yes 164 29.50%
No 392 70.50%
Voters: 556. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2007, 04:01 PM
  #201
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN View Post
Penner scored 30 goals as a rookie, how many will he score in 3 years? 40 goals? 50 goals?

Burke will match because he'd be an idiot not to. You don't let a 6 foot 5, 245lb potential 50 goal scorer walk away from your team.

However, Tampa fans have been complaining that they have 20 million dollars tied up in 3 players.
If Burke matches,thats almost 15 million tied up in Schneider, Bertuzzi annd Penner. Only a 5 million dollar difference from Leclavier, St.louis and Richards.

Wow...
50 goals? Holy optimism, Batman! I'd be happy with him becoming a 35 goal scorer. His improvement will come in getting assists, playing better defense, and being more consistent at dominating the boards. You had your 40 goal scorer and traded him away, his name was Lupul. Of course he wouldn't have provided anything else useful for the team and might still be a - player, but you had him.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 04:05 PM
  #202
the word*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rearranging atoms
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
50 goals? Holy optimism, Batman! I'd be happy with him becoming a 35 goal scorer. His improvement will come in getting assists, playing better defense, and being more consistent at dominating the boards. You had your 40 goal scorer and traded him away, his name was Lupul. Of course he wouldn't have provided anything else useful for the team and might still be a - player, but you had him.

Lupul may yet become that player. Last year he shouldn't have been in the NHL.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 04:28 PM
  #203
AVE MAN
Registered User
 
AVE MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where's the Mighty View Post
Hey if the Ducks had one, im sure they wouldnt let him walk away, you need to stop overrating a solid player, you make Penner out to be this 1st Team NHLer in the future or something and he's not. You look foolish with these statements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
50 goals? Holy optimism, Batman! I'd be happy with him becoming a 35 goal scorer. His improvement will come in getting assists, playing better defense, and being more consistent at dominating the boards. You had your 40 goal scorer and traded him away, his name was Lupul. Of course he wouldn't have provided anything else useful for the team and might still be a - player, but you had him.
Is it more foolish to believe that a rookie that scores 30 goals cant improve on that total with more expereince and ice time, than it is to believe other wise?

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 04:42 PM
  #204
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN View Post
Is it more foolish to believe that a rookie that scores 30 goals cant improve on that total with more expereince and ice time, than it is to believe other wise?
Or I could go by what I see as to his playing style and realize that he's not really a goal scorer. I think his goal total is a little misleading this year, as well as his goals/assist balance and expect him to be more of a balanced player. He's just not a shoot-first type player (Carlyle's been trying to change that somewhat).

Or I could realize that only 2 players in the NHL scored 50 goals this season and that I expect offensive numbers to go down the next few years because teams will learn to play defense under the new rules and take fewer penalties.

Or I could think about how Penner scored so many goals off of the extended cycling of Getzlaf and Perry or the breakout passes of Pronger and realize that Edmonton provides neither. Although Pitkanen may provide that passing in 3 years.

Or I could ponder how Edmonton's highest goalscorer is a defenseman and realize what that means to defensive focus of the opposing teams compared to when they were more concerned about Selanne, McDonald, Getzlaf, Pronger, Niedermayer, and arguably Kunitz than they were about Penner.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 05:00 PM
  #205
AVE MAN
Registered User
 
AVE MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Or I could go by what I see as to his playing style and realize that he's not really a goal scorer. I think his goal total is a little misleading this year, as well as his goals/assist balance and expect him to be more of a balanced player. He's just not a shoot-first type player (Carlyle's been trying to change that somewhat).

Or I could realize that only 2 players in the NHL scored 50 goals this season and that I expect offensive numbers to go down the next few years because teams will learn to play defense under the new rules and take fewer penalties.

Or I could think about how Penner scored so many goals off of the extended cycling of Getzlaf and Perry or the breakout passes of Pronger and realize that Edmonton provides neither. Although Pitkanen may provide that passing in 3 years.

Or I could ponder how Edmonton's highest goalscorer is a defenseman and realize what that means to defensive focus of the opposing teams compared to when they were more concerned about Selanne, McDonald, Getzlaf, Pronger, Niedermayer, and arguably Kunitz than they were about Penner.
Why are you assuming that he's going to play with Edmonton?

If he's not a shoot first type of player (like you stated), what happens if he learns to shoot a little more? Young players do develop and if he's not a shoot first type of player and scored 30 goals, how many does he score when he learns to shoot more?

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 05:06 PM
  #206
Sandman33
 
Sandman33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 500
Penner goes to Edmonton I.M.O.

But I would be very upset if I were an Edmonton fan and the GM marches Dustin Penner out as the teams franchise player.

Sandman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 05:25 PM
  #207
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman33 View Post

But I would be very upset if I were an Edmonton fan and the GM marches Dustin Penner out as the teams franchise player.
How many franchise players only make $4.3M per season?

Penner will likely be expected to fill a 2nd line forward role for this next season (a role in which he will be greatly overpaid) and then slowly develop into a consistent top 6 scorer (which is what $4.3M buys you in the current NHL).

The gamble Kevin Lowe is taking is that Penner will be worth that $4.3M in years 3, 4 and 5 of the contract term. He's certainly not expected to be a franchise player and very few Oilers fans expect him to be one either (the most likely candidates for that role are Hemsky and Pitkanen).

__________________
Burn Girl Prom Queen
Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 05:48 PM
  #208
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN View Post
Why are you assuming that he's going to play with Edmonton?

If he's not a shoot first type of player (like you stated), what happens if he learns to shoot a little more? Young players do develop and if he's not a shoot first type of player and scored 30 goals, how many does he score when he learns to shoot more?
I suspect Burke isn't going to match. He had his meeting with his bosses, he's probably made a decision by now. And if he matches he has to send in a form, but if he decides not to match, at least as far as I can tell from the CBA, there's no form to send, you just let the 7 days pass. I doubt he's stalling out of spite, although it is possible he's waiting to see if he'll get a decision from Teemu or Scotty.

And I think it's rare that a player changes his playing style. I just see this season's goals as one of those "outlier" years. But that's just my opinion and I don't claim to be a scout. And I tend to be pretty conservative in my predictions.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 05:41 AM
  #209
Chayos
Registered User
 
Chayos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Posts: 2,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
How many franchise players only make $4.3M per season?

Penner will likely be expected to fill a 2nd line forward role for this next season (a role in which he will be greatly overpaid) and then slowly develop into a consistent top 6 scorer (which is what $4.3M buys you in the current NHL).

The gamble Kevin Lowe is taking is that Penner will be worth that $4.3M in years 3, 4 and 5 of the contract term. He's certainly not expected to be a franchise player and very few Oilers fans expect him to be one either (the most likely candidates for that role are Hemsky and Pitkanen).
Exactly!

Look around the league at players like Horton, Hartnell, Roy, and now Penner. These younger players are signed for what they do well, even though their games still have holes. At these salaries they are
all gambles and some may not work out. I as an oiler fan hope we are getting what we are paying for, but out of those 4 players you have to pick Penner as the most likely to fail IMO.

The thing is with this contract Penner will need to step forward and not be below average or the Oiler fans will crucify him.

I can hear it already " Penbister sucks"

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 06:52 AM
  #210
ktulu98
Registered User
 
ktulu98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,762
vCash: 500
so today is the day when burke need to match or let him go?

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 08:40 AM
  #211
Dr_Gonz0
Registered User
 
Dr_Gonz0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post
I think he'll let Penner walk.
He's already picked up Bertuzzi who is very similar to Penner....if Temmu returns they don't lose much.
If Burke doesn't match the OS, and Neidermayer and Selanne both retire, what would your guys roster look like? Line predictions?

Dr_Gonz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 08:44 AM
  #212
Dr_Gonz0
Registered User
 
Dr_Gonz0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu98 View Post
so today is the day when burke need to match or let him go?
It was reported at 12:15 (mountain time) last Thursday on the TEAM 1260 here in Edmonton. So by noon we should know if Penner will be Oiler property or not.

Dr_Gonz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 09:09 AM
  #213
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0 View Post
It was reported at 12:15 (mountain time) last Thursday on the TEAM 1260 here in Edmonton. So by noon we should know if Penner will be Oiler property or not.
that is correct.
How many picks would the ducks get ?

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 09:18 AM
  #214
Kimi
Registered User
 
Kimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Country: England
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
that is correct.
How many picks would the ducks get ?
We should get the the oils first, second and third next year, and a first for the year after. I think.

Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 09:20 AM
  #215
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,040
vCash: 500
eklund was on team 1260 edmonton sports radio yesterday. he is hearing form a couple of sources that Burke will match. He sounded very confident.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 09:22 AM
  #216
bleuer
Registered User
 
bleuer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,039
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to bleuer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi View Post
We should get the the oils first, second and third next year, and a first for the year after. I think.
nope...I think only a first, a 2nd and a 3rd...

bleuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 09:49 AM
  #217
dangler16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
eklund was on team 1260 edmonton sports radio yesterday. he is hearing form a couple of sources that Burke will match. He sounded very confident.
good thing eklund said that... now i know for sure the ducks won't match and will take the pics, they'll be useful come deadline time

dangler16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 09:51 AM
  #218
Kimi
Registered User
 
Kimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Country: England
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuer View Post
nope...I think only a first, a 2nd and a 3rd...
I can't really remember. I was reading about this on my phone in the middle of Dartmoor last week, so I might mess up the facts a bit. Still, get's Burke a first for this year, and the two other picks. That I'm sure of.

Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 09:56 AM
  #219
Pwnasaurus
Registered User
 
Pwnasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Robot City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,645
vCash: 500
Spector's doesn't think he'll match

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:11 AM
  #220
dem
Registered User
 
dem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Bob McKenzie says that Burke is trying to swing a small deal to clear some cap space. If he doesnt make a trade.. he thinks Burke will let Penner go.

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:12 AM
  #221
habscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Lasalle, Ontario, Ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 592
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
Well, we all know how accurate Eklund's rumours are. I'll side with Spector's prediction, this time.

I have a strong feeling that Burke will not match the offer, and will take the 3 draft picks. Everyone should remember that Penner was often benched by Carlyle last season, due to indifferent play on his part. He seemed to be the main player in the team's dog house. His spot should be taken over by Bobby Ryan, in 1-2 seasons, or sooner if he has an outstanding training camp this fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
eklund was on team 1260 edmonton sports radio yesterday. he is hearing form a couple of sources that Burke will match. He sounded very confident.

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:16 AM
  #222
Deebo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,109
vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=215290&hubname=

He has until 2:05 EDT.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:26 AM
  #223
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi View Post
We should get the the oils first, second and third next year, and a first for the year after. I think.
hmm. you would think that the oil pick could be a high one.
i think if it was me i would let him go take the picks.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:38 AM
  #224
frozenrubber
Registered User
 
frozenrubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Bob McKenzie says that Burke is trying to swing a small deal to clear some cap space. If he doesnt make a trade.. he thinks Burke will let Penner go.
One could guess that it's Todd Marchant. Of the current Duck's roster and salary obligations, he's the only one who's both expendable given his oversized billet.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:42 AM
  #225
Complaining Customer
Registered User
 
Complaining Customer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Bob McKenzie says that Burke is trying to swing a small deal to clear some cap space. If he doesnt make a trade.. he thinks Burke will let Penner go.
Doesn't it mean Burke is confident Niedermayer will be back? Otherwise the cap space is there to be used... Or would it bring the Ducks over the cap without Nieds?

Complaining Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.