HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

We should form an alliance with the Sabres...

Old
07-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Akingnomore07*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstones View Post
By the way, the only reason you guys have the cup last year is because Ottawa gave it up, you didn't win it.
Yeah samething could be said about Detroit handing it to us Pronger got suspended for 2 GAMES!!! THe league was trying to screw the Ducks and penalized them whenever they can. And how many 5 on 3 powerplays were there against us during the post season??? Next time, use that [edited] brain of yours please

Last edited by Jerky Leclerc: 07-27-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Akingnomore07* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Lyons71

Screw the sabres. We don't need their help.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstones View Post
What are you guys ? 4 years old ?

Business is business, and as we sit back and watch what will happen, in the cap world it is no longer a gentleman's game at the table.

Yeah, if and when it happens in Edm it's gonna suck, however when Clarke opened the gates last year it was quite apparent that new rules will will lead to new strategies. Period. I think K-Lowe has a big brass set, and if teams don't want to bargain, then MAKE them bargain.

By the way, the only reason you guys have the cup last year is because Ottawa gave it up, you didn't win it.

So there. I can be 4 too.
Don't take these sour grapes as the view of all oiler fans. The Anaheim ducks earned the cup this year and congradulations to them for it.

However this doesn't change anything in how the cap system works.

Edm saw value in Dustin penner and I am 90% sure Burke will see that same value and match this offer.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 04:58 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
All their young players are going to demand millions more than they're worth, and get it as they point to Vanek and Penner. Long term contracts at 4-7 million each for unproven players. And some will excel. But some will regress, and it'll absolutely screw the team over.
dont speak too soon, cause the same thing could happen to the Ducks and their prosepct talent as the vets retire, leave and new roles are formed for the youngsters who could collapse under new pressure. nothing is a sure bet.

theyre paying their best offensive player about 4 million right now. not sure how thats overpaying. let me know.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 05:08 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
dont speak too soon, cause the same thing could happen to the Ducks and their prosepct talent as the vets retire, leave and new roles are formed for the youngsters who could collapse under new pressure. nothing is a sure bet.

theyre paying their best offensive player about 4 million right now. not sure how thats overpaying. let me know.
That's exactly my point. The Ducks haven't been signing our young, unproven players for long term deals. Beauchemin got 3 years, Kunitz got 2 years, Bryzgalov got 2 years, McDonald got 3 years. That way we don't get stuck with a bad contract if someone fails. And by not offering unproven guys 4.3 million dollars our prospects won't be paid that much.

And Edmonton's best offensive player is getting 4.1 million, that's not overpayment. But wouldn't that make giving Penner, who would be maybe your 4th best offensive player, 4.3 million overpayment?

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Senor Catface

You guys are forgetting one minor detail...what if you and Buffalo face each other in the Stanley Cup final...then your little alliance will be OVER. HAHAHAH...haha...cough...

sigh.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 09:17 PM
harpoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
It's no longer a gentleman's game mostly due to your GM. We're merely amused that your GM is making these moves; this is desperate thrashing.

Count me in for a shirt.
I'd just like to say that Lowe is in no way " thrashing " . Burke has reportedly said that Lowe is " desperate to save his job " . I'm surprised at these kinds of comments , and I have to say they aren't really grounded in reality . Lowe's job is not in jeopardy . Even if the Oilers miss the playoffs again next year , I still doubt he gets fired . Rather than say that Lowe is desperate to save his job , why not say he is desperate to improve the hockey team . That's more like the truth . Lowe is just as competitive as Burke . The whole cfp debacle and the twenty game winless streak to close out the season probably eat away at him every day . But guess what ? He can't get anybody he wants on the UFA market . Can't get anybody he wants through trade . Pretty much forced to go after who he wants via RFA - according to the letter of the CBA . To call that desperate and gutless just makes Burke look worse than that whiner Regeir . And don't bother saying that Oiler fans will be whining when it happens to them cause we've had decades of experience in losing our best players to other teams with more money . We don't whine about it anymore . Now we just call the player a greedy sob and move on . See Ryan Smyth . We'll take our lumps when they come . But I'm glad we have a GM who is desperate to improve our team . And I'm not shedding one tear for Burke or fans who cry foul .

And re the bolded part of your post ..... you really want a shirt that says Lowe stinks ? Do you use the word stinks in your daily life ? Cause I think what the poster was getting at is that if you really want a shirt that uses the verb stinks , you must be four years old .

You guys have a pretty fun board here . Cheers .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 09:45 PM
2x4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
The situations are different in a way, in that Regier is the idiot for not letting Vanek go. 4 1st round draft picks is more valuable than any player not named Crosby, Ovechkin, or Phaneuf. Especially if Edmonton sucks, and gives you a chance at the Tavares sweepstakes.

The Penner offer is very close however. The salary is rough to accept and the compensation sucks. This is a far worse move. For those that say match at all costs, keep in mind that this is the deepest draft since '03 when we got Getzlaf and Perry, and that the pick could open up the possibility of one of: Stamkos, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Sauve
Letting Vanek go would be a Lowe calibre move.

2x4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
And re the bolded part of your post ..... you really want a shirt that says Lowe stinks ? Do you use the word stinks in your daily life ? Cause I think what the poster was getting at is that if you really want a shirt that uses the verb stinks , you must be four years old .

Do you smell that? No, its not fart. Its the smell of desperation.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 10:02 PM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akingnomore07 View Post
SABRES EFFIN ROCK with or without Briere and Drury!!!

Rick Jeanneret also ROCKS
LET'S GO RANGERS!

STANLEY CUP CHAMPS 2007/2008

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 10:09 PM
tru_gq

Quote:
You're right that re-signing their own RFAs probably won't cost quite as much as offer sheets for Vanek and Penner. But don't think for a second that Smid/Schremp/Nilsson won't use the offer sheets to demand more than they would have without these offers to be re-signed. Those offers will be the comparables that they will use for negotiation/arbitration. Especially if they're on par or better than Penner, they'll say "I put in time for the organization, I deserve the money." I believe that the salaries Edmonton specifically will have to pay to keep their players will rise more than you expect.

And Torres' worth was decreased by his (relatively) poor season. A year younger than Penner means nothing, Penner's having less top level training should balance that out. Torres' contract was also before Vanek's offer sheet. We'll see what happens with whatever RFA you have next year.
To be honest with you I think Lowe will lock up talented players like Schremp, Smid, Etc in longer contracts before that happens.

if we had to match and had to let someone go to keep any one of those players I would not even flinch if they let Horcoff go. I am not his biggest fan

tru_gq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Westie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
Back to topic:

Ducks and Sabres fans can now make T-shirts that say "Kevin Lowe, You Stink!"
Or they can make one that say We are F#$% by Kevin Lowe so SHUT UP & Live with it.....It's Hockey .....

Westie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 10:48 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_gq View Post
To be honest with you I think Lowe will lock up talented players like Schremp, Smid, Etc in longer contracts before that happens.

if we had to match and had to let someone go to keep any one of those players I would not even flinch if they let Horcoff go. I am not his biggest fan
OK maybe I'm typing too much and my point is being lost.

For Lowe to lock up Schremp, Smid, etc it's going to cost him vastly more after these offer sheets. Say he gets 45 points in 08-09, Schremp may say "I've as good as Penner, I also deserve 4 million dollars."

And if you don't give him 4 million for 5 years he may not re-sign early. Whereas if these offers weren't made he may accept 3 million for 3 years.

Old
07-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie View Post
Or they can make one that say We are F#$% by Kevin Lowe so SHUT UP & Live with it.....It's Hockey .....
Losing Scott Niedermayer and Teemu Selanne to retirement is what I call "****." I won't lose any sleep if Burke decides not to pay Penner 4.3 mil.
We're just enjoy the lottery pick.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 02:13 PM
edmonton_ice

Keep Crying

I don't see why you are all whining. It's going to big a bigger part of the game and if someone poaches an Oiler free agent so be it.

edmonton_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 02:14 PM
edmonton_ice

Who is the big sppon ?

If the Sabres fan and Duck fans are going to cuddle. Who will be the big spoon and the little spoon ?

Old
07-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton_ice View Post
I don't see why you are all whining. It's going to big a bigger part of the game and if someone poaches an Oiler free agent so be it.
Somebody save this quote for when Cogliano signs an offer sheet 3 years from now.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 03:14 PM
edmonton_ice

Ok

Keep the thread and call me in 2 yrs.

Old
07-28-2007, 04:59 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
That's exactly my point. The Ducks haven't been signing our young, unproven players for long term deals. Beauchemin got 3 years, Kunitz got 2 years, Bryzgalov got 2 years, McDonald got 3 years. That way we don't get stuck with a bad contract if someone fails. And by not offering unproven guys 4.3 million dollars our prospects won't be paid that much.

And Edmonton's best offensive player is getting 4.1 million, that's not overpayment. But wouldn't that make giving Penner, who would be maybe your 4th best offensive player, 4.3 million overpayment?

players only compare themself to teammates when it comes to contract negociations... exactly!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 05:07 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
No need. The Oilers are going to suck in a few years because of their actions. There doesn't even need to be active revenge from Regier or Burke. All their young players are going to demand millions more than they're worth, and get it as they point to Vanek and Penner. Long term contracts at 4-7 million each for unproven players. And some will excel. But some will regress, and it'll absolutely screw the team over.

Some Oilers fans are happy at how the RFA offers will "improve the team's future FA prospects" and "prevent other teams from hoarding the talent" but to me the likely result is long term damage with respect to their ability to keep a team together. And more to their team than other teams, because precedent will be that THAT team pays at this inflated scale to unproven kids, not say the Ducks.
Good comment. I see it the same way.
Don't like Lowes RFA offer sheets at all...

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 05:19 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
players only compare themself to teammates when it comes to contract negociations... exactly!
Sure they'll add Penner's contract to the discussion. But which comparable holds more weight, Penner the Ducks player at 4.3 or Penner the Oilers player at 4.3 (which our GM would have already said was too much by declining)?... exactly!

Old
07-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Clock

Quote:
I'd just like to say that Lowe is in no way " thrashing " . Burke has reportedly said that Lowe is " desperate to save his job "
So... he's thrashing.

Quote:

No, I use more colorful terms, but I don't think I'd instantly label someone as being "four years old" because of that word.

And as ridiculous as this sounds, I feel I need to point out that I highly doubt that anyone is seriously going to make a shirt.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton_ice View Post
More interestingly, why do you obviously feel so threatened by the "whining?" Does it surprise you that these events are being talked about or something on hockey messageboards IN THE OFFSEASON?

I don't know man, sounds like you're "whining" that the Ducks / Sabres are talking about the same moves that you guys are also talking about on your board.

Anyhow, who cares? They were controversial moves and they're going to be discussed. Deal with it.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 09:42 AM
2x4*

Its okay. We can enjoy next season watching the Oilers become the new Flyers.

Between Staois, Smid, Greene, Souray and Pitkanin their defense was -96. IDK who their 6th is but im sure he wont be in the green.

It will also be funny when Lowe is locked into pointless contracts in 4 years and he cant do anything about it.

2x4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Sabres9101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x4 View Post
Its okay. We can enjoy next season watching the Oilers become the new Flyers.

Between Staois, Smid, Greene, Souray and Pitkanin their defense was -96. IDK who their 6th is but im sure he wont be in the green.

It will also be funny when Lowe is locked into pointless contracts in 4 years and he cant do anything about it.
AMEN!

Sabres9101 is offline   Reply With Quote